Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: WiF Master Edition

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: WiF Master Edition Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: WiF Master Edition - 12/5/2007 7:11:17 PM   
SLAAKMAN

I am Borg after all.

Germany's unforgivable crime before the Second World War was her attempt to extricate her economy from the world's trading system and to create her own exchange mechanism which would deny world finance its opportunity to profit.
— Winston Churchill

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 31
RE: WiF Master Edition - 12/12/2007 9:47:44 PM   
Anendrue

quote:

ORIGINAL: composer99

While someone may take the time to let us know on this forum whether Master Edition WiF is out, this isn't the actual forum for it, so if you're poking around here with bated breath, at the very least don't hold it.

So where is the actual forum for "Master World in Flames"? Everytime I try the link, it is dead.

Integrity is what you do when nobody is watching.

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 32
RE: WiF Master Edition - 12/13/2007 7:06:55 PM   
composer99

The http://www.gdg.de/ link? It works fine for me. That leads to the company website. I do not know if they have a forum or not for discussing MasterWiF. If you are on the wifdiscussion Yahoo! group, you might ask around there or sort through its archives.

~ Composer99

(in reply to Anendrue)
Post #: 33
RE: WiF Master Edition - 12/14/2007 12:43:06 AM   
SLAAKMAN

Aaaargh! The official word from ADG is that we will have to hold our breath for years before this is available.  grrrrrr!!

quote:

Hi Tom, there is no pre-order list set up for Master Edition yet and I would not expect it for a few years at best.  You can find the most updated information on the German Design Group web site.

Eric

Germany's unforgivable crime before the Second World War was her attempt to extricate her economy from the world's trading system and to create her own exchange mechanism which would deny world finance its opportunity to profit.
— Winston Churchill

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 34
RE: WiF Master Edition - 12/14/2007 3:24:11 AM   
brian brian

I thought they were playtesting it already?

(in reply to SLAAKMAN)
Post #: 35
RE: WiF Master Edition - 12/21/2007 9:22:15 PM   
Anendrue

Well it sounds like WiF meets Europa. Just better with the WiF engine.

(in reply to brian brian)
Post #: 36
RE: WiF Master Edition - 12/22/2007 9:25:23 PM   
SLAAKMAN

quote:

Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding!!! I was wondering if anyone here was going to notice the obvious. Good eye abj. You win the Slaak Quote of the Millenium award! Now go out there and find me a large warehouse to set up both games!
(Of course we'll be using the "Slaak Historical Options" Variant).

< Message edited by SLAAKMAN -- 12/22/2007 9:28:15 PM >

— Winston Churchill

(in reply to Anendrue)
Post #: 37
RE: WiF Master Edition - 12/22/2007 11:07:54 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: SLAAKMAN

quote:

Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding!!! I was wondering if anyone here was going to notice the obvious. Good eye abj. You win the Slaak Quote of the Millenium award! Now go out there and find me a large warehouse to set up both games!
(Of course we'll be using the "Slaak Historical Options" Variant).

It seems you might be a possible customer for the full world map at unified scale (10 feet high by 17 feet wide).

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to SLAAKMAN)
Post #: 38
RE: WiF Master Edition - 12/23/2007 12:42:09 AM   
SLAAKMAN

quote:

It seems you might be a possible customer for the full world map at unified scale (10 feet high by 17 feet wide).

Now why would I question the obvious?

— Winston Churchill

(in reply to SLAAKMAN)
Post #: 39
RE: WiF Master Edition - 12/24/2007 6:23:54 AM   
Anendrue

@Slaakman
Yeah I enjoyed playing Europa but space was a huge factor for me way back then (you know... the dark ages as I am older than dirt). However my two car garage doesn't really need to keep a car in it. It may be time to add AC, Heat and a map to it.

@Steve
So 10'x17' is the final fix on the full scale map. When will he be able to start taking orders, or will that be through Matrix? BTW has the cost for the full scale map been determined?

(in reply to SLAAKMAN)
Post #: 40
RE: WiF Master Edition - 12/24/2007 6:47:56 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: abj9562

@Slaakman
Yeah I enjoyed playing Europa but space was a huge factor for me way back then (you know... the dark ages as I am older than dirt). However my two car garage doesn't really need to keep a car in it. It may be time to add AC, Heat and a map to it.

@Steve
So 10'x17' is the final fix on the full scale map. When will he be able to start taking orders, or will that be through Matrix? BTW has the cost for the full scale map been determined?

What? Someone is seriously interested? I'll try to give Fernando a call then and get him off the dime on the first mock up.

Steve

(in reply to Anendrue)
Post #: 41
RE: WiF Master Edition - 12/24/2007 11:06:05 PM   
Gendarme

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

What? Someone is seriously interested? I'll try to give Fernando a call then and get him off the dime on the first mock up.

Yessir, and I also am seriously interested. Have been since I first mentioned it, so long ago... I know a printed map has been low on the priority list because there are indeed so many more important matters on this project. Nevertheless, it would be nice.

Anthony DeChristopher

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 42
RE: WiF Master Edition - 12/26/2007 6:25:12 PM   
Anendrue

I think it would be great too especially for getting an overall feel for the game and strategic planning. Besides I always wanted a map room for the war. Very Roosevelt if you know what I mean?  

By the way, is there any possibility of printed MWiF counters?

(in reply to Gendarme)
Post #: 43
RE: WiF Master Edition - 12/26/2007 7:21:21 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: abj9562

I think it would be great too especially for getting an overall feel for the game and strategic planning. Besides I always wanted a map room for the war. Very Roosevelt if you know what I mean?  

By the way, is there any possibility of printed MWiF counters?

The MWIF unit depcitions are pretty faithful reproductions of the ones from WIF FE by ADG. There are perhaps a few small improvements on some of the land units, but the air, naval, and special unit counters use the actual comptuer graphics that were used to print the WIF FE counters.

Well, maybe the MWIF fort counters are improvements. And I guess for some of the generic counters (e.g., partisans) MWIF has color specific counters for each country, while WIF FE has a single color partisan unit. Actually, I haven't really done a detailed side-by-side comparison.

When released, the MWIF bitmaps for the counters will be in 100 by 100 pages, but those do not have any numbers on them. So, I do not think you will be able to print the counters from the screen, en masse. And there is always the problem of getting the size right when translating from a computer bitmap to the printed page.

If I were doing this (going to play WIF FE using the full MWIF map), I would use the WIF FE counter sheets. They can be purchased from ADG spearately (I believe).

Steve

(in reply to Anendrue)
Post #: 44
RE: WiF Master Edition - 12/27/2007 1:10:28 AM   
JagWars

quote:

[So 10'x17' is the final fix on the full scale map. When will he be able to start taking orders, or will that be through Matrix? BTW has the cost for the full scale map been determined?

Count me in on this one. If a printed map is available, I would certianly buy one, but I donot actually need a printed map. If the game has a way to download the game-map as a graphics file, I have access to a 60" plotter. That way I can print the hexes as large or as small as I choose. Computer games are rather a tertiary activity for me; I much prefer large multi-player board games with five to ten players, so I would pay the price for the game just to have access to a bit-map of the game-map. I have always found it a nuisance that the Pacific Theatre and the European Theatre are at different map scales.

Post #: 45
RE: WiF Master Edition - 12/27/2007 1:31:53 AM   
brian brian

you could perhaps jump-start the map project by selling the Asia/Pacific maps first, or maybe just a set covering an area roughly Sakhalin/New Zealand/Tasmania/Aden/Suez/Perm ... that area would be the one that sells the most if you could purchase separate sheets.

(in reply to JagWars)
Post #: 46
RE: WiF Master Edition - 12/27/2007 2:37:34 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jaguar

quote:

quote:

[So 10'x17' is the final fix on the full scale map. When will he be able to start taking orders, or will that be through Matrix? BTW has the cost for the full scale map been determined?

Count me in on this one. If a printed map is available, I would certianly buy one, but I donot actually need a printed map. If the game has a way to download the game-map as a graphics file, I have access to a 60" plotter. That way I can print the hexes as large or as small as I choose. Computer games are rather a tertiary activity for me; I much prefer large multi-player board games with five to ten players, so I would pay the price for the game just to have access to a bit-map of the game-map. I have always found it a nuisance that the Pacific Theatre and the European Theatre are at different map scales.

Taking the map off the screen (or downloading as a graphics file) is not really feasible. However, I will have to produce a printable file for company that does the printing for AMtrix Games. If Matrix agrees, that file might be available.

The way I did the test section was to take screen shots (68 I think) and then Patrice assembled them into one very large bmp file (or was it a jpg?). In my earlier discussions with the printer, he was planning on printing the enitre map in strips, and we were still trying to decide on vertical or horizontal strips. Another open question was where to make the break points. That will have to be decided for the wrap-around portion too.

< Message edited by Shannon V. OKeets -- 12/27/2007 2:38:41 AM >

Steve

(in reply to JagWars)
Post #: 47
RE: WiF Master Edition - 12/27/2007 8:02:34 PM   
JagWars

Wow, I just had an idea. I could build a metal cylinder, ten feet high with a seventeen foot circumference, mount the map onto it, put it in the middle of my great room and use magnetic counter clips to play. That would certainly give the concept of a global conflict

Of course, my spousal unit is quite likely to take umbrage with this idea; however, I might be able to bribe her with that new Harley she has been asking about for the past few years. A rather expensive enterprize just to play a game, but what the heck is money for if not to entertain.

Post #: 48
RE: WiF Master Edition - 12/27/2007 8:10:48 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

Wow, I just had an idea. I could build a metal cylinder, ten feet high with a seventeen foot circumference, mount the map onto it, put it in the middle of my great room and use magnetic counter clips to play. That would certainly give the concept of a global conflict

Of course, my spousal unit is quite likely to take umbrage with this idea; however, I might be able to bribe her with that new Harley she has been asking about for the past few years. A rather expensive enterprize just to play a game, but what the heck is money for if not to entertain.

Not a 17 foot diameter. A 5.4 foot diameter is all you need to achieve a circumference fo 17 feet.

Steve

(in reply to JagWars)
Post #: 49
RE: WiF Master Edition - 12/28/2007 4:15:37 AM   
Ubercat

quote:

quote:

Not a 17 foot diameter. A 5.4 foot diameter is all you need to achieve a circumference fo 17 feet.

That sounds like an awesome project. You'd have to be VERY precise though. It would suck if you did all the work and it was a couple inches too big or too small.

-Ubercat

"I’m not convinced that faith can move mountains, but I’ve seen what it can do to skyscrapers." -William H. Gascoyne

Post #: 50
RE: WiF Master Edition - 12/28/2007 4:32:25 AM   
SLAAKMAN

Jaguar
quote:

Count me in on this one. If a printed map is available, I would certianly buy one, but I donot actually need a printed map. If the game has a way to download the game-map as a graphics file, I have access to a 60" plotter. That way I can print the hexes as large or as small as I choose. Computer games are rather a tertiary activity for me; I much prefer large multi-player board games with five to ten players, so I would pay the price for the game just to have access to a bit-map of the game-map.

Hail Yeah! A man after my own heart! A 10-12 player Global Campaign with my own special historical variant would be supreme. Now somebody get out there and locate a warehouse with a kitchen & a jacuzzi!

< Message edited by SLAAKMAN -- 12/28/2007 4:33:35 AM >

— Winston Churchill

(in reply to Ubercat)
Post #: 51
RE: WiF Master Edition - 12/28/2007 4:32:26 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ubercat

quote:

quote:

That sounds like an awesome project. You'd have to be VERY precise though. It would suck if you did all the work and it was a couple inches too big or too small.

-Ubercat

I wonder about allowing for heat expansion of the cylinder in the summer and contraction in the winter.

Steve

(in reply to Ubercat)
Post #: 52
RE: WiF Master Edition - 12/28/2007 5:22:34 AM   
wworld7

quote:

Now somebody get out there and locate a warehouse with a kitchen & a jacuzzi!

What...no wet bar?

Flipper

(in reply to SLAAKMAN)
Post #: 53
RE: WiF Master Edition - 12/28/2007 6:54:29 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: flipperwasirish

quote:

What...no wet bar?

Perhaps he is a BYOB type of person. Though the set up would seem to justify a cover charge.

Steve

(in reply to wworld7)
Post #: 54
RE: WiF Master Edition - 12/28/2007 7:28:45 AM   
wworld7

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: flipperwasirish

quote:

What...no wet bar?

Perhaps he is a BYOB type of person. Though the set up would seem to justify a cover charge.

LOL

Flipper

Post #: 55
RE: WiF Master Edition - 12/28/2007 7:39:41 AM   
brian brian

and we'd all pay it, too

(in reply to wworld7)
Post #: 56
RE: WiF Master Edition - 12/28/2007 4:48:30 PM   
SamuraiProgrmmr

My wife has encouraged me to frame and hang my set of WiF maps in the game room.  They are beautiful.

However, as much as I would like to do so, I can't see myself devoting 170 sq. ft. of wall space. 

BUT...

What I would like to see is an atlas style booklet with color maps in it.  This could be useful in hotseat games and also for pondering strategies when the computer is otherwise engaged.

Furthermore, while we are dreaming....

There is an inexpensive reporting engine for Delphi that natively produces PDFs. Wouldn't it be great to be able to produce map images at the press of a button so you could email them to yourself for lunch-break at work?

Steve
     Dean

Not really a serious proposal for this version, but there is always version 2.0

Bridge is the best wargame going .. Where else can you find a tournament every weekend?

(in reply to brian brian)
Post #: 57
RE: WiF Master Edition - 12/28/2007 5:03:17 PM   
mlees

The ceilings in my apartment are about 8 feet high. Some of you guys are living in palaces, eh?

(in reply to SamuraiProgrmmr)
Post #: 58
RE: WiF Master Edition - 12/28/2007 6:24:01 PM   
composer99

There is a nice piece of software called SnagIt which I have that I can use for capturing images. Right now I use it on my Cyberboard PBEM module if I want to capture parts of the map for pondering over (or to send to others).

~ Composer99

(in reply to mlees)
Post #: 59
RE: WiF Master Edition - 12/28/2007 6:24:41 PM   
Anendrue

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ubercat

quote:

quote:

-Ubercat

Or perhaps make the map out of a heat shrink plastic and mount it on a ball put it on a pole and tilt the axis. A MWiF globe eh!

(in reply to Ubercat)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: WiF Master Edition Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI