Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: new game anyone

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Opponents Wanted >> RE: new game anyone Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: new game anyone - 12/29/2007 8:36:36 AM   
Kayuucee

I am currently at work. I will send my bids in when I get home.

Kenneth Crist
Kayuucee

(in reply to denxis1)
Post #: 31
RE: new game anyone - 12/30/2007 4:40:42 AM   
Kayuucee

Bids sent.

Kenneth Crist

(in reply to denxis1)
Post #: 32
RE: new game anyone - 12/30/2007 6:50:44 AM   
denxis1

Great thank you Kenneth. All bids have been received. All we need to decide now is if we wait for the patch or start without it. I am ok with whatever the group decides.
One possibility we might think about is we could start a trial run to work out the bugs with the current version and agree to restart with the same bids once the next version is available.... just a thought.

Denis

(in reply to Kayuucee)
Post #: 33
RE: new game anyone - 12/30/2007 7:33:53 AM   
dodod

I say we start...we can see how it goes with the group...although strategies will have to be changed.

(in reply to denxis1)
Post #: 34
RE: new game anyone - 12/30/2007 8:20:05 AM   
fatfloyd

If the patch is coming up this week the I think we should wait. I am keen to start but lets give the patch a chance, no point getting frustrated with the game unnecessarily. Some if the naval bugs have required all sorts of house rules which we can avoid if we wait a week.

If the bids are are in though, I would like the GAP program to do it's thing and then receive the txt file.

(in reply to dodod)
Post #: 35
RE: new game anyone - 12/30/2007 8:47:55 AM   
Kayuucee

I think we should wait for the patch, but can we import the bids, see who won and then start dipolmacy and then import the bids again after the patch and start the game? Or will the second import randomize things so that maybe we do not get the same positions?

Kenneth Crist

(in reply to fatfloyd)
Post #: 36
RE: new game anyone - 12/30/2007 3:04:24 PM   
WJPalmer1

Still not sure what would be accomplished by trying to jump the gun before the patch.

BTW, I'll be out of town from Monday a.m. until Wednesday around noon (GMT -7).

(in reply to Kayuucee)
Post #: 37
RE: new game anyone - 12/30/2007 4:34:21 PM   
dodod

we can wait, I just am not sure the patch will be in by Jan 5th...

also, regarding the prussian rule...I just played in a game where the prussians get their butt smashed...is there any reason not to gang up on prussia?

(in reply to WJPalmer1)
Post #: 38
RE: new game anyone - 12/30/2007 4:38:44 PM   
Kayuucee

I just feel that the more time to negotiate pre-game, the better.

Kenneth Crist

(in reply to dodod)
Post #: 39
RE: new game anyone - 12/30/2007 5:08:20 PM   
denxis1

Hello not really sure what the consensus here is but It appears that it comes down to 3 choices

#1 wait for the patch do nothing until it arrives.

#2 Run the Gap program and see what country we get which would give us time for diplomacy. Then run the same bids again once the patch is available.

#3 Start the game now and just live with the things that will not work once the new patch arrives.

I will vote for #2 I agree with Kenneth it would be nice to have some prewar negotiating time.

At this point it appears that the votes are (please correct me if I am wrong about your vote on this)

dodod #2

Mardonius ?

densix1 #2

Kayuucee #2

Trent ?

fatfloyd #2

exp101 #1

Denis

(in reply to Kayuucee)
Post #: 40
RE: new game anyone - 12/30/2007 5:09:05 PM   
WJPalmer1

Hmm, Prussia's doing fine in the other PBEM game I'm in. If the Prussian negotiates an alliance with Austria (also undoubtedly in Austria's best interest), they have a shot.

I'm not big on building in house rules to create an artificial play balance. Think that's what the bid process and players' individual negotiating skills are for.

(in reply to dodod)
Post #: 41
RE: new game anyone - 12/30/2007 5:18:14 PM   
WJPalmer1

I'm fine with running the GAP now to get a preview of the countries, as long as everyone understands that the lineup could potentially change if there are ties and the program gives a different random result when we go live. It will be important to use the official GAP Import mechanism after denxis1 patches his game.

BTW, our Google Groups site is available for diplomacy & general communications. We should probably start taking most game-related discussions there.

< Message edited by exp101 -- 12/30/2007 5:19:49 PM >

(in reply to denxis1)
Post #: 42
RE: new game anyone - 12/30/2007 5:24:10 PM   
Mardonius

I would go for number 2 choice and see what countries we have but not start the game until we see the first patch. Hopefully, the second patch etc will allow us to incoporate those changes into a pre-existing campaign.

best
Mardonius

"Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant" -- James Madison
"Yes, you will win most battles, but if you loose to me you will loose oh so badly that it causes me pain (chortle) just to think of it" - P. Khan

(in reply to WJPalmer1)
Post #: 43
RE: new game anyone - 12/30/2007 5:28:49 PM   
WJPalmer1

Sounds like the "2's" have it Denis, would you mind running the GAP and announce tentative country assignments in our Google Groups site?

(in reply to Mardonius)
Post #: 44
RE: new game anyone - 12/30/2007 5:30:17 PM   
denxis1

It looks like we have a consensus. and as exp101 stated we all need to accept that there is a possibility that when I Run the Gap program the 2nd time with the patch the outcome may be different and we will have to adjust and live with the new outcome.

As long as no one disagrees I will Run the GAP program later today say 6 hours from now to give people a chance to chime in on this.

I agree we should start using the Google forum. Just to let everyone know please look for further posts there from me.

I can smell the Gunpowder now.....

Denis

(in reply to WJPalmer1)
Post #: 45
RE: new game anyone - 12/30/2007 5:30:40 PM   
twolf03a

If anyone drops out of this game I would be happy to fill in either before or after the game starts. Just keep me in mind... J.D. Burdick (twolf11@comcast.net).

(in reply to Mardonius)
Post #: 46
RE: new game anyone - 12/30/2007 5:34:28 PM   
WJPalmer1

Thanks, Denis. Would you also please list the winning bids for each player/country? This way (comparing winning bids to their own) everyone will have some insight into the possibility that they may end up with a different country.

Should be interesting! Good luck to everyone!

Ron

PS One cool thing about the Google Groups is that everyone will receive instant notifications at their personal e-mail address of new messages on our site. This will help move the game along...

< Message edited by exp101 -- 12/30/2007 5:42:52 PM >

(in reply to denxis1)
Post #: 47
RE: new game anyone - 12/30/2007 5:40:43 PM   
Mardonius

If I may suggest, I think it prudent to adopt a replacement/backup policy.  If I had my druthers, I would offer spots to folks in the order that they posted on this website.  Any thoughts? 

"Yes, you will win most battles, but if you loose to me you will loose oh so badly that it causes me pain (chortle) just to think of it" - P. Khan

(in reply to denxis1)
Post #: 48
RE: new game anyone - 12/30/2007 5:43:52 PM   
WJPalmer1

Sounds good to me. Perhaps also with an understanding that a new invitee has a definite time limit to confirm acceptance -- say, 12 hours?

(in reply to Mardonius)
Post #: 49
RE: new game anyone - 12/30/2007 5:44:05 PM   
denxis1

Thank you for your offer I will add you to the waiting list.
We have one person who should be on our waiting list who posted a request earlier so as of now we have 2 two requests to join. (If I missed someone please let me know)

# 1 DCWhitworth

# 2 twolf03a

Denis

(in reply to twolf03a)
Post #: 50
RE: new game anyone - 12/30/2007 5:45:17 PM   
denxis1

I agree on the 12 hour time limit for acceptance.

Denis

(in reply to WJPalmer1)
Post #: 51
RE: new game anyone - 12/30/2007 6:01:46 PM   
fatfloyd

I am happy with option #2.

I am not clear on why we need to re-run the GAP program but I am not that familiar with it.

I thought that when all the bids are in, the GAP program does it's magic and spits out a txt file with results, this is then imported in the EiA's import bid option. Is the determining of ties done in the GAP program or the EiA game? If it is done in the GAP program as the games manual suggests them the there is no need to re-run it before we import the bids in the game post-patch.

(in reply to denxis1)
Post #: 52
RE: new game anyone - 12/30/2007 6:13:59 PM   
WJPalmer1

I'm not in tune with the inner-workings of the GAP and the game program either. The two considerations I'm aware of that may have an impact on our game are:

1) To make sure the GAP file is officially "imported" into the game rather than having countries manually assigned. I understand that this is the only way to have any pre-existing player DoW's incorporated without players having to pay the PP's later;
2) The GAP file should not be imported to a game before the new patch has been applied.

(in reply to fatfloyd)
Post #: 53
RE: new game anyone - 12/30/2007 6:26:59 PM   
Trent

Someone can take my place, the game with my french friends will take me too much time to continue this one. Sorry.

(in reply to WJPalmer1)
Post #: 54
RE: new game anyone - 12/30/2007 6:36:01 PM   
Kayuucee

I have no problem with what is proposed for the GAP. And now that I can get into the Google Group, I will use that for diplomatic discussions.

Kenneth Crist

(in reply to Trent)
Post #: 55
RE: new game anyone - 12/30/2007 6:38:49 PM   
denxis1

Thank you for letting us know. Hopefully we will get the chance to play with you some other time.

OK this opens up a spot. Per the previous discussion I will be sending an email to DCWLhitworth to see if still interested and request GAP Bid I will give 12 hours for response.

I will also send a back up request to twolf03a and let him know he should send a bid just in case DCWLhitworth does not respond within 12 hours. so we can get this going.

< Message edited by denxis1 -- 12/30/2007 6:53:32 PM >

Denis

(in reply to Trent)
Post #: 56
RE: new game anyone - 12/30/2007 7:18:45 PM   
denxis1

One final time I wanted to post the options and special game rules we have chosen (If I am incorrect on any of these let me know)

Winter Land Movement +
Guard Commit +
Allow PBEM Host +
Allow Option Changes during the game -
Third Party battle resolution -
PBEM passwords +
Econ Manip +
GB/FR War +
Leader Cas -
Priv -
PBEM Quick _

Additional Rules & Understandings:
Only unconditional surrender between France /GB
Players expected to post phases promptly (after 24 hours from previous posting Host may use AI)
Use Google Groups Site: http://groups.google.com/group/eia_nearrunthing for file posting & general communication

Denis

(in reply to denxis1)
Post #: 57
RE: new game anyone - 12/30/2007 7:50:10 PM   
dodod

I say add privateers...for those that want it!! not a big deal, but useful

(in reply to denxis1)
Post #: 58
RE: new game anyone - 12/30/2007 8:01:43 PM   
Mardonius

I second the privateers. Could be fun!

(in reply to dodod)
Post #: 59
RE: new game anyone - 12/30/2007 8:49:09 PM   
DCWhitworth

quote:

ORIGINAL: denxis1

Thank you for letting us know. Hopefully we will get the chance to play with you some other time.

OK this opens up a spot. Per the previous discussion I will be sending an email to DCWLhitworth to see if still interested and request GAP Bid I will give 12 hours for response.

I will also send a back up request to twolf03a and let him know he should send a bid just in case DCWLhitworth does not respond within 12 hours. so we can get this going.

I'm up for this ! Will get some bids in ASAP.

Regards
David

(in reply to denxis1)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Opponents Wanted >> RE: new game anyone Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI