Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The Long Wait is Over

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> The Long Wait is Over Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Long Wait is Over - 10/1/2001 11:30:00 AM   
David Heath

The long wait for a strategic computer simulation of the Napoleonic conflict is over. Matrix Games (http://www.matrixgames.com) has joined with SPME Technologies to develop Napoleonic Wars, the wargame that gives players a chance to command one of several major powers as they engage in combat and diplomacy. Matrix chose to develop Napoleonic Wars after wargamers were disappointed to hear of the cancellation of an earlier strategic Napoleon title. "I was always sorry we had to cancel our other game,” says Matrix Director of Operations David Heath. “Since then, we have been looking to develop a good strategic game on this era. The design has been in development now for a few months, and we decided our fans deserved to know.” "We just fell in love with the game design,” says Marshall Ellis of SPME Technologies. “I have been playing wargames for many years and this is a game I would want to play on my own time.” Details of Napoleonic Wars can be found at http://www.matrixgames.com/games/NapoleonicWars

Post #: 1
- 10/1/2001 11:36:00 AM   
LeibstandartePzD

Outstanding! I am so glad to hear that there is going to be a game on this topic and era released from Matrix. Thanks for letting us know. I'm sure I won't be the only one awaiting this one.

Respectfully,
Jason E. Otto
Former member of the 8th US Cavalry and a grandson of a Leibstandarte tanker.

"It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech

(in reply to David Heath)
Post #: 2
- 10/1/2001 8:15:00 PM   
waynef

YEEEESSSSS!!! An Excellent decision gentlemen.

"At My Signal...Unleash Hell" Thanks, Wayne

Post #: 3
- 10/2/2001 4:56:00 AM   
kstoddard

Gentlemen, This is an unexpected and truly exciting developement. I personally am looking forward to this with great excitement. I have a few questions. 1. What sort of time line are we looking at for compeltion of the game?
2. What do you expect the price will be?
3. From the description, it appears as if Napoleonic Wars draws much from Avalon Hill's old tabletop game "Empires in Arms." If so, I applaud the descision as it was one of the finest board games ever made.
4. Will it be network/internet ready. (I'm assuming yes.) Thanks for all your efforts. Kyle Stoddard

"Bandit, 5 o'clock high, break left...no right!

Post #: 4
- 10/2/2001 9:39:00 AM   
jwarrenw13

Wonderful news.

Post #: 5
- 10/2/2001 11:23:00 AM   
sol_invictus

This is joyous news. My heart has been lifted on the wings of imperial eagles. So when is expected release date?

"The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero

Post #: 6
- 10/2/2001 3:01:00 PM   
Grouchy

W00t! After all those years! This is wonderfull news, finally a strategic Napoleonic PC simulation. Thanks for letting us know.

Post #: 7
- 10/2/2001 3:15:00 PM   
Tonto Dane

Great news I for one will wait for this game with great anticipation.

Post #: 8
- 10/2/2001 5:20:00 PM   
Josans

Seems to be near of "Empires in Arms" boardgame. I hope so. Its for me the best game of Napoleonic Wars. Any possible date of release? Congratulations again Matrix. Josan.

SSG Korsun Pocket Decisive Battles Beta Tester
GG´s War in the East Alpha Tester

Post #: 9
- 10/2/2001 5:54:00 PM   
Ed Cogburn

My prayers have been answered, finally! Josan has a good implied question. The map is somewhat familar, but so far, no other details. Can anyone at Matrix say in general that this game will be close to "War and Peace" or closer to "Empires in Arms", in terms of complexity/depth/sophistication? Is there anybody there who is familar with those 2 boardgames who can make the comparison? Well Matrix is branching out now from WWII games to SciFi and Napoleonic era games. I wonder what's next? [ October 02, 2001: Message edited by: Ed Cogburn ]

Post #: 10
- 10/2/2001 7:56:00 PM   
Didz

Yes! Yes! Yes! My prayers have been answered. Judging by the initial design information it even looks like someone has been listening to us at last. Whoopee! [ October 02, 2001: Message edited by: Didz ]

Didz
Fortis balore et armis

Post #: 11
- 10/2/2001 10:03:00 PM   
Le Tondu

WOOO HOOO!!!!! Good going Matrix Games! I was hoping to be lucky and purchase the game today, but it doesn't seem to available yet. 1. When (generally speaking) will it be available? Please say real soon. 2. If not, can we pre-order it? Many thanks.
Rick

Vive l'Empereur!

Post #: 12
- 10/3/2001 3:22:00 AM   
Le Tondu

I wish to add to my post above and reiterate a question. When? I'm just wondering if it might be 2001? 2002? 2003? I only ask this as the thread title is "The Long Wait is Over". I pray that it hasn't just begun. You see, I just tried to call the order number for Matrix Games and I got a recorded message saying: "...the company you are calling no longer is taking orders or customer service calls." This is way too weird.

Vive l'Empereur!

Post #: 13
- 10/3/2001 4:10:00 AM   
David Heath

Hi We are looking at a April - May 2002.

Post #: 14
- 10/3/2001 6:56:00 AM   
Le Tondu

quote:

Originally posted by David Heath:
Hi We are looking at a April - May 2002.
WOW! David, I cannot express how grateful I am for your answer. It may not seem like much, but it is IMMENSELY important to us (your customers). I will check back here often fo more news! Chalk up one guaranteed sale (from me). Thanks,
Rick

Vive l'Empereur!

Post #: 15
- 10/3/2001 9:09:00 AM   
mario vallee

Great news ! Bravo Matrix. Now how could I wait till may 2002 ? You have all my support.

Vive L'Empereur !

Post #: 16
- 10/5/2001 3:00:00 AM   
Le Tondu

You know, I was thinking. This wait for 'Napoleonic Wars' to be published is a good thing. I have changed a lot since 9-11-01 and one thing that I don't seem to mind anymore is waiting for something good. The wait seems worth it when it arrives. Also instantaneous gratification doesn't seem to be as important anymore when we have that event as a backdrop. Quality is more important than having "it" right now. A goal to look forward to can only help us to move forward as a society. We neeed these carrots dangling in front of us and I applaud Matrix Games, et al for the timing of this game. Some have said that 'everything arrives only when the time is right'. (Oh my gosh, this makes me think of that wine commerical with Orson Wells.) Ok, now back to lurking......

Vive l'Empereur!

Post #: 17
- 10/5/2001 3:08:00 AM   
David Heath

Hi Guys One of the main reasons for Matrix Games announcing games early is to get gamers input in what they like to see. We have always made better designs when the gamers are involed.

Post #: 18
- 10/9/2001 2:15:00 AM   
Marc Hameleers

Great news....the look of the maps is somewhat familiar though? Same map artist as the last outing? Hope this one makes it...a good strategic napoleonic game is long overdue!!! marc

Post #: 19
- 10/13/2001 12:35:00 AM   
Von Rom

I have been away for a few weeks, and just returned to find this game has been announced. Wonderful! It is about time. I'll be following developments on this game with keen interest. Other suggestions for games: 1) Strategic-level game of Civil War 2) Strategic-level game of Punic Wars 3) Strategic-level game of World War II Great work Matrix

Post #: 20
- 10/17/2001 5:43:00 AM   
von Curow

One question: How is this going to effect my EU2 playing?

The closer you are to Caesar, the greater the fear.

Post #: 21
- 10/17/2001 4:42:00 PM   
John Hutton

EU2 is out now? I only just got EU1 - something about being at the bottom of the world. Less fear of anthrax (touch wood), but slow arrival of games. I think the Matrix design team should take a leaf or three out of EU, particularly with the political inter-relationships and the focus on the rest of the world. It makes no sense historically to play a European only war in the Napoleonic period. However, I have already ranted about this, and have not generated terribly much of a response in the last few days, so should probably keep my head down. As for what it will do to your playing - hopefully give you two games to play. John

Post #: 22
- 10/18/2001 10:44:00 AM   
Warpup

There you go John! Blame it on being down under! Actually, I had just gotten EU before recommending it to you. Now EU2 will extend to 1815. Look out! This game by Matrix could include some additional depth, though. Just hope the project produces an expandable game engine that can be adapted for alternative starting points, such as 1740, 1756, 1776, and 1792. Maybe such points as the start of Russo-Turkish wars would be good also, such as 1772 and 1788. The Talonsoft battle games had individual battalions and casualties in one man increments, didn't they! (Sorry, I never played them.) No reason why these modern high speed computers with huge data storage couldn't handle all the individual battalions and squadrons of the Napoleonic wars, nor any reason why casulaties couldn't be taken in individual men. There could even be a historically accurate flag for each battalion! Historically accurate uniforms for each battalion! All the data is already out there in the miniature painter's manuals and magazines. Battle could depict individual men! OK, I'm going to the mental hospital tomorrow...
But tonight, back to Lords of the Earth. [ October 17, 2001: Message edited by: Warpup ]

Post #: 23
- 10/20/2001 5:57:00 AM   
Mike Marauder

This is the best news ive heard in ages.
ive been waiting and hopping for a long time now that this game would not be shelved.Thank you Matrix.
I was so exited with the release of Napoleon 1813 that i went out and bought it strait away OH WHAT A MISTAK THAT WAS. please guys please dont make the same mistakes as the producers of that so called Napoleonic game.
Take the time it dosnt matter how long get it right and us wargammers will be forever in your debt.

Post #: 24
- 10/21/2001 3:56:00 AM   
GameMike

Hi For the time being I only want to confirm what others already made clear. This is the best news for a very long time. I was rather chocked at the news of the termination of this game some time back, more so since the reason seemed absurd to say the least. Accepting fate, I was looking forward to EUII, giving us a chance to play something at least remotely resembling a Napoleonic campaign, but this definitely changed my mind. No bad feelings towards EU, it's an excellent game in it's own kind, but this one seems to be the real thing, well worth waiting for. I'm a military writer. A week ago I finished an 18-month work and I,m now looking forward to some rest and refit. I will reflect upon this game and try to post some ideas. Way back I was fascinated by Napoleon and everything connected to that period and I might be able to contribute in some way. I will take some time to refresh my memory first. Thank you again, Matrix, for the very good news. Michael

Post #: 25
- 10/24/2001 9:22:00 PM   
von Curow

quote:

Originally posted by John Hutton:
EU2 is out now? I only just got EU1 - something about being at the bottom of the world. Less fear of anthrax (touch wood), but slow arrival of games. I think the Matrix design team should take a leaf or three out of EU, particularly with the political inter-relationships and the focus on the rest of the world. It makes no sense historically to play a European only war in the Napoleonic period. However, I have already ranted about this, and have not generated terribly much of a response in the last few days, so should probably keep my head down. As for what it will do to your playing - hopefully give you two games to play. John
EU2 is not out yet, but is in beta test and should be available by Christmas. In other words, you will have 3 or 4 months to conquer the world before diverting your attention to Napoleonic Wars. EU2 looks to be a vast improvement over EU1 in many ways (I am part of the beta test, so I don't want to say too much, but you can see a lot of what is changing if you head over to the Paradox website). I tend to agree with you about isolating the Napoleonic period in Europe, but... Well, I think it has traditionally been done to avoid the world-conquest thinking that goes with it. By concentrating on Europe and simplifying non-European events, it allows for a more realistic/interesting/complicated representation of Napoleonic warfare. I tend to see the wars in Europe during this time as being radically different from the types of conflict seen outside Europe. (I am not writing very clearly right this second, but the point is that I think it is better if they concentrate on representing Europe from 1800-1815.) I can't wait to get the game in my hands!

Post #: 26
- 10/24/2001 9:23:00 PM   
von Curow

quote:

Originally posted by John Hutton:
EU2 is not out yet, but is in beta test and should be available by Christmas. In other words, you will have 3 or 4 months to conquer the world before diverting your attention to Napoleonic Wars. EU2 looks to be a vast improvement over EU1 in many ways (I am part of the beta test, so I don't want to say too much, but you can see a lot of what is changing if you head over to the Paradox website). I tend to agree with you about isolating the Napoleonic period in Europe, but... Well, I think it has traditionally been done to avoid the world-conquest thinking that goes with it. By concentrating on Europe and simplifying non-European events, it allows for a more realistic/interesting/complicated representation of Napoleonic warfare. I tend to see the wars in Europe during this time as being radically different from the types of conflict seen outside Europe. (I am not writing very clearly right this second, but the point is that I think it is better if they concentrate on representing Europe from 1800-1815.) I can't wait to get the game in my hands!

Post #: 27
- 11/13/2001 4:01:00 AM   
ABPDenmark

Would it be posible to post some more resent screen-shots that show more how gameplay is planed to work?

Post #: 28
- 11/14/2001 9:08:00 AM   
David Heath

Hi At this time its not possible but as we move a long we will be adding a lot of them.

Post #: 29
- 11/17/2001 12:51:00 PM   
GET TRANSPT

Matrix Games ROCKS! I'm thrilled that you are working on TWO Napoleonic games! a tactical one and a strategic one! Of all wargame subjects, Napoleonics is my favorite! Back in '86 at ORIGINS, I recall talking to a rather eminent Avalon Hill designer who said to me, "Napoleonics don't sell" when I asked him for updates on their War an Peace title. I'm in awe at the artfulness required to design
Napolenics, from an age before "industrial wars" of attrition. I looked at your tactical title about Austerlitz as well, and it is wonderful!

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> The Long Wait is Over Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI