Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Edge of the World

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Decisive Battles: Korsun Pocket >> Edge of the World Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Edge of the World - 1/17/2002 11:20:00 PM   
pxreiman

i just posted a similar thought on the BL forum, but I think it is even more appropriate for KP so I will post it here too: I have slowly fumed over the "Edge of the World" problem since I started gaming. Too many games seem to run up against the EOWP.
Here's a solution based on first person shooters: expand the map from AxA to 3Ax3A and add NPCs on either side for both the enemy and freindly forces. They don't have to do much, just hold position while you conduct your operation and react if you step out of bounds. Penalties, restrictions on movement and angry messages could be delivered when you are out of your Area of Operation.
What I am saying is that when one side tries to change the status quo on the battlefeild, they draw forces from other areas and the response is to draw forces out of other areas. Why do they have to be off board in an operational level game? If your sector collapses, and you are not removed from command or if you establish a slaient and need forces for the push, you apply for and hopefully, recieve additional support from nearby forces. KP is the perfect platform for this kind of thing.
Furthermore, an expanded map with NPCs allows a more realistic mental picture of your objective. in TAO, the German breakthrough and manuver options are completely boxed in by the map. Can KP help?

Post #: 1
- 1/18/2002 5:15:00 AM   
Duncan Maggs

You must be a pretty good German player at TAO2 to be hindered by the map edges! What you mention has some merit. A particular thrust or breakthrough might well alter reinforcement priorities e.g. quicker arrival of Patton if a greater German effort was made in the south. How such a concept could be implemented I am not sure. Presumably it would have to be built into the AI and I don't have much faith in its abilities even if SSG are responsible for (in my opinion) the best AI of all - that in the Carriers at War series of games.

(in reply to pxreiman)
Post #: 2
- 1/18/2002 6:41:00 PM   
e_barkmann

I'm pretty sure Roger mentioned TAO3 can support very large map sizes - or larger, at least, than TAO2.

Scourge of War multiplayer group

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/sowwaterloo

(in reply to pxreiman)
Post #: 3
- 1/18/2002 10:00:00 PM   
pxreiman

Thanks Old Bill, I think I have the basics down,but not much more. if you ignore the center (bastonge) and head south or can get past the allied defenses in the north - you should be able to win on a regular basis v. AI. Both of these take advantage of the EOWP. Let the Siegfreid Line do its thing and get around and past the Allies - the AI will RUN (not walk) backwards until at least turn 12-13 if not more. If you can disrupt their supply in any areas for more than two turns. . .

(in reply to pxreiman)
Post #: 4
- 1/23/2002 4:12:00 AM   
Duncan Maggs

G3, I would suggest that now you have mastered the game against the AI you try the Classic Wargames ladder at the Blitzkrieg Wargamers Club. Playing against other players by pbem can really test those strategies that you developed against the AI - and send most of them back to the drawing board!

(in reply to pxreiman)
Post #: 5
- 1/24/2002 11:22:00 PM   
pxreiman

alright OB, I will. You're right - no plan survives contact with the enemy. I am a big fan of not having to find someone to play. Get in, get out - no committment. G*3

(in reply to pxreiman)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Decisive Battles: Korsun Pocket >> Edge of the World Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI