Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

EOWP and a few other suggestions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Decisive Battles: Korsun Pocket >> EOWP and a few other suggestions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
EOWP and a few other suggestions - 1/25/2002 12:21:00 AM   
pxreiman

I posted a similar message on BL, but I think it's more appropriate to this forum.
As to EOWP, if we cannot add NPCs or expand the map to eliminate the problem, a solution might lie in the administrative problems that come with winning new ground: Garrisons. (I know how dull) - But newly conquered territory needs soliders to maintain order. While this duty is usually relegated to second tier units, the initial action requires the occupying force to dedicate some of there personnel to this task. Leaving an area without having established a strongpoint or garrison would leave a village open and contract the front line. This would force a commander to get his reserves into the newly areas sooner and then make him use those units to hold the rear areas of a spearhead. Like in real life. A strongpoint puts a few men in harms way and temporarily reduces combat power. Garrisoning, on the other hand, spreads the unit over several hexes (4x4?) and establishs an area as positively controlled. Of course, the garrison could not attack, but it might be able to establish a new supply point, suppress partisans, rebuild all the railroads and bridges in its area and importantly,the unit occupy all those hexes (16?) with some portion of its strength (1 step in the first turn and second on the third turn, as the unit recalls its troops?). Any unit detailed to garrison duty could reform in about three turns.
I am sure you get the idea. More than a strongpoint - more of a spreading of a units capabilities over the territory. I think it more accurately reflects the burden of taking new ground.
On a similar topic, since strong points leave people behind, they ought to have some greater consequence than a brief inability to attack. Morale, or overall combat power should suffer.
Finally, there should be a global morale point. When the vp differential exceeds some number (say 4,000 in TAO2?)it would seem that the lesser side would either replace their general or make plans to regroup much further to the rear. Currently, you have to slug it out to the bitter end. While combacks are great, these long endgame machinations always encouter the EOWP - Under a global morale point (GMP) system, a commander would be forced to keep an eye on his political rear area and as the points drift one way or another ("were giving as good as we get") adjust accordingly. Just an idea.

Post #: 1
- 1/27/2002 5:56:00 AM   
Brubaker

Hi G*3 I agree absolutely with most of you ideas. The stongpoint idea along the frontier is excellent - it could perhaps involve a friendly unit being placed in a 'garrison' state which gives it a 3 hex zoc or similar. Therefore, in a game like the bulge, if the German was to capture the whole map along the north edge up to the Meuse River, he would be have to leave 2-3 divisions stretched out across the frontier in order to keep Allied reinforcements supressed. I also agree that the current stronghold feature, while brilliant, should impact more heavilt on the unit creating it. Perhaps a 25% drop in combat power for the coming turn to represent the lesser amount of men/material available? Brubaker

(in reply to pxreiman)
Post #: 2
- 1/28/2002 3:14:00 PM   
Visom

quote:

Originally posted by G*3:
This would force a commander to get his reserves into the newly areas sooner and then make him use those units to hold the rear areas of a spearhead. Like in real life.
Like in real life? The american spearheads didn't leave any men behind for these tasks. They left the conquered ground unoccupied. Sure, this caused some supply problems, but keeping the initiative was always more important for the spearheads. A few of the supply personnel went through this nomansland every night. Belton Cooper calls it 'Running the gauntlet'. It was usually 20-30 kilometers, at night. He (and his driver) didn't have the lights on and were travelling in the middle of the road as fast as they dared (~80 km/h on large roads). Quite often he had to stop and take another way back with his jeep because the germans had closed the gap.
quote:

Finally, there should be a global morale point. When the vp differential exceeds some number (say 4,000 in TAO2?)it would seem that the lesser side would either replace their general or make plans to regroup much further to the rear. Currently, you have to slug it out to the bitter end. While combacks are great, these long endgame machinations always encouter the EOWP - Under a global morale point (GMP) system, a commander would be forced to keep an eye on his political rear area and as the points drift one way or another ("were giving as good as we get") adjust accordingly. Just an idea.

Yes, those last turns are often boring. A premature ending of the game if you're doing very well (or very poor) should be an option.

(in reply to pxreiman)
Post #: 3
- 1/28/2002 8:42:00 PM   
pxreiman

Vis, true, we didn't leave much of the spear head behind - the allies were the liberators - we moved our CP forward along with our supply chain - which still put a lot of people in the rear. Compare that to the Russian front - where the germans were constantly trying to either eliminate pockets of resistance or suppress partisans. In current ops, we americans believe that we can do a lot of resupply by air or it seems we're moving over unoccupied desert. This combined with our emphasis on manuever, means that it's ok if the head seperates from the body for a while, espeicially if it will deliver a knock out blow. But again, look at Russia. It is big.

(in reply to pxreiman)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Decisive Battles: Korsun Pocket >> EOWP and a few other suggestions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI