Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Comprehensive Wishlist

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Scenario Design >> RE: Comprehensive Wishlist Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 10/4/2007 12:19:27 AM   
ColinWright

quote:

ORIGINAL: JAMiAM

quote:

ORIGINAL: ColinWright
Are you stating that more aircraft are returned to the pool if losses are inflicted by flak than if by other aircraft? More than the half that is returned for losses suffered by other types of equipment?

It did just occur to me that if reducing the effectiveness of aircraft by the amount of flak in a hex imposed insuperable programming problems, that increasing the proportion of 'losses' returned to the pool might offer an alternative approach?

The amount returned to on hand for other types of equipment is approximately 33%. The amount returned to on hand for air and naval is approximately equal to the unit proficiency. All are subject to randomization, and differences induced by unsupplied conditions and evaporation dumps.

Illuminating. Aside from the subject at hand, that puts the notion that naval losses are excessive in a whole new light.

What happens with 'evaporation dumps'?

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 151
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 10/4/2007 3:49:53 AM   
a white rabbit

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: a white rabbit

..British figures give 10% losses on bombing raids as heavy, from all causes..

..British estimates are for most of WW2 it takes 18,500 shells to down one bomber, divide confirmed AA kills by shells used (pre proximity fuse)

..given the deterrent option i'd say the toaw figures are in the right area, for everything except bridge attacks and airfield attacks. It can't be hard to program AA to know when its in a bridge/airfield hex, other unit types know where they are, why not AA ?..

..oh and 2 Swordfish downed at Tarranto, despite the available AA..

There you go. TWO Swordfish downed at Taranto. OPART losses of four. Now, go ahead and set up some AA guns at 10% proficiency. See how few you'll need to shoot down down four. It'll be something like ten barrels. Say, maybe a fiftieth of the flak the Italians probably had, between the ships and the port defences.

I'm going to see if I can get my AAA thread moved here from the development board. I actually simulated Taranto (sort of). It's difficult because the ships were in port and it was at night. Hard to know just how to model those factors. Regardless, it didn't really work until the AD was up to 50.

..some where i found the number of guns and the ammo expenditure for Taranto, whilst trying for AAA kill-rates. Sorry al i can remember was the that number of guns firing was incredible, and that all they could manage was 2 out 6 slow flying illuminated targets..

..you might try on the Axis History Forum..

http://forum.axishistory.com/index.php?sid=c8c5e7b3b04c21c23389953a1aad486a

< Message edited by a white rabbit -- 10/4/2007 3:57:10 AM >

..toodA, irmAb moAs'lyB 'exper'mentin'..,..beàn'tus all..?,

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 152
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 10/4/2007 4:34:17 AM   
ColinWright

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

..British figures give 10% losses on bombing raids as heavy, from all causes..

..British estimates are for most of WW2 it takes 18,500 shells to down one bomber, divide confirmed AA kills by shells used (pre proximity fuse)

..given the deterrent option i'd say the toaw figures are in the right area, for everything except bridge attacks and airfield attacks. It can't be hard to program AA to know when its in a bridge/airfield hex, other unit types know where they are, why not AA ?..

..oh and 2 Swordfish downed at Tarranto, despite the available AA..

There you go. TWO Swordfish downed at Taranto. OPART losses of four. Now, go ahead and set up some AA guns at 10% proficiency. See how few you'll need to shoot down down four. It'll be something like ten barrels. Say, maybe a fiftieth of the flak the Italians probably had, between the ships and the port defences.

I'm going to see if I can get my AAA thread moved here from the development board. I actually simulated Taranto (sort of). It's difficult because the ships were in port and it was at night. Hard to know just how to model those factors. Regardless, it didn't really work until the AD was up to 50.

..some where i found the number of guns and the ammo expenditure for Taranto, whilst trying for AAA kill-rates. Sorry al i can remember was the that number of guns firing was incredible, and that all they could manage was 2 out 6 slow flying illuminated targets..

..you might try on the Axis History Forum..

http://forum.axishistory.com/index.php?sid=c8c5e7b3b04c21c23389953a1aad486a

That raises another point. The fewer planes there are, to some extent, the fewer will get shot down. As often as working by aiming at the specific planes, AA works by just filling an appropriate quarter of the sky with flak bursts. If a hundred planes strike a target and five get shot down by flak, it doesn't follow that if five planes strike the same target, that they will all get shot down.

Happily, the current system seems to reflect this. In Seelowe, losses start rising sharply if one attacks RN targets with too many planes at once.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to a white rabbit)
Post #: 153
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 10/4/2007 9:20:10 AM   
Jo van der Pluym

Additional Equipment types.

Radar.

Signal:

Maintenance: Decrease Breakdown value Vehicles/Guns

ARV: Decrease some losses in vehicles

Medical: Decrease men losses.

Chemical/NBC: Decrease NBC losses

EW:

AA/Sams

In the AA value is now also included the Guidance/Fire Control. Made this like the AT Targeting. Say optica, IR, Radar, Microwave, Laser.

SAMS/ATGW/Missiles etc

Speed of the Missile

< Message edited by Jo van der Pluym -- 10/10/2007 9:01:58 PM >

Greetings from the Netherlands

Jo van der Pluym
CrazyDutch

Post #: 154
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 10/5/2007 5:54:57 AM   
ColinWright

Anyway...can we look forward to an attempt to simulate this on the next patch?

"Pioneering research into a "gay bomb" that makes enemy troops "sexually irresistible" to each other has scooped one of this year's Ig Nobel Prizes."

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to Jo van der Pluym)
Post #: 155
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 10/7/2007 5:38:03 PM   
sstevens06

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jo van der Pluym

Additional Equipment types.

Radar.

Signal:

EW:

AA/Sams

In the AA value is now also included the Guidance/Fire Control. Made this like the AT Targeting. Say optica, IR, Radar, Microwave, Laser.

SAMS/ATGW/Missiles etc

Speed of the Missile

Great suggestions Jo - I like them all!

Currently TOAW only models the specific SAM "launcher" or "TEL." Not explicitly modeled are the support complex(es) which are integral to almost all SAM systems. (For example, the once ubiquitous Soviet-made SA-2 Guideline (S-75 Dvina) SAM was always accompanied by a complex of early warning and target acquisition radars at the battery, battalion, and regiment-levels.) Obviously if these supporting radars are damaged or destroyed the SAM unit will be much less effective or even completely useless. It would be very nice if TOAW could be enhanced to simulate this, even in an abstract manner.

Post #: 156
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 10/10/2007 9:00:28 PM   
Jo van der Pluym

Additional Equipment types, or equipment options.

Radar.

Signal:

EW:

FIST/MFC/FDC: Increase the effective of firesupport from Mortars, Artillery, planes, helicopters, ships

AA/Sams

SAMS/ATGW/Missiles etc

Speed of the Missile

< Message edited by Jo van der Pluym -- 10/10/2007 9:06:00 PM >

Greetings from the Netherlands

Jo van der Pluym
CrazyDutch

Post #: 157
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 10/11/2007 9:00:01 AM   
ColinWright

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jo van der Pluym

Additional Equipment types, or equipment options.

Radar.

Signal:

EW:

FIST/MFC/FDC: Increase the effective of firesupport from Mortars, Artillery, planes, helicopters, ships

AA/Sams

SAMS/ATGW/Missiles etc

Speed of the Missile

I'd dread seeing a lot of these as units. Particularly ones like 'medical.' It reminds me of the little guys in the various 'Age of Empires' games who restore health. You move your 'medical unit' to the battered battalion and the condition light turns green again? No thanks.

Really, a lot of these functions you describe -- Signal, Maintenance, ARV, Medical, Chemical/NBC -- are performed by units whose personnel are dispersed all over the map. They're not in one place, nor should they be represented as being in such. Their role seems best reflected in such elements as supply proficiency, replacement levels, supply stockpile, etc.

I suppose one could have panzer repair workshops and hospitals -- but how would they work in detail, and would we really get a net improvement this way? I suppose some monumentally complex formula for adjusting certain types of replacements could get worked out so that players would (a) have these units, and (b) be motivated to put them in some location that was reasonably secure and reasonably near rails and other infrastructure and yet reasonably close to the front. But why? Where's the great benefit that will justify all the work?

Radar I was thinking about in connection with Seelowe. Hard to see how it would work, though. I dunno about modern stuff -- but did radar matter in WW2 when it came to tactical air support and the other roles OPART is concerned with?

In general, if these things were to be added, I'd want to see them done right -- which would call for a lot of work that I'd argue should go elsewhere. However, it would be worse if we just got them thrown in with some sort of slap-dash effect that didn't represent the way they functioned at all.

Take MP units and the way they work in the game now. Well, it's not a big deal -- but is that unit hopping along one hex ahead of the panzer division to cut the density penalties really all that realistic? Do we want more of that sort of thing?

< Message edited by ColinWright -- 10/11/2007 11:08:50 PM >

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 158
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 10/17/2007 4:38:05 AM   
ColinWright

I'm not sure whether to call this a bug, or a wish, or an anomaly.

However...you know those interdiction strikes on units that haven't moved? I've never liked that -- it seems to me that it's movement that is precisely what interdiction should target. The Germans in Europe in 1944-45 did okay -- as long as they didn't move. If you don't move, you should be okay -- or at any rate, let the opponent bombard you if he wants to have an effect.

Anyway, there's apparently another problem with the strikes on non-moving units. They come after each round -- and sometimes the number of rounds is largely discretionary. I was playing an early turn in Seelowe. S-1 and the Germans are stacked up offshore, waiting to land. The British have only one small coastal defence battery that can still fire.

So they fire it, as they should. But should they? They can get off two or three salvos and kill perhaps three rifle squads and a truck -- but each salvo will lead to another wave of interdiction strikes. It's really not a good idea to take the shots -- it'll upset the Luftwaffe. Not exactly realistic.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to ColinWright)
Post #: 159
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 10/18/2007 8:17:46 PM   
a white rabbit

quote:

I suppose one could have panzer repair workshops and hospitals -- but how would they work in detail, and would we really get a net improvement this way? I suppose some monumentally complex formula for adjusting certain types of replacements could get worked out so that players would (a) have these units, and (b) be motivated to put them in some location that was reasonably secure and reasonably near rails and other infrastructure and yet reasonably close to the front. But why? Where's the great benefit that will justify all the work?

..agreed, are we talking quick repairs here ? man or machine, or back to the central workshop ? man or machine..

..nahh s'ok as is..

..toodA, irmAb moAs'lyB 'exper'mentin'..,..beàn'tus all..?,

Post #: 160
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 11/1/2007 7:01:18 PM   
Curtis Lemay

Note that I've revised post #1 in this thread to contain the new version #3 update of the wishlist.

(in reply to a white rabbit)
Post #: 161
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 11/1/2007 7:31:58 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

Note that I've revised post #1 in this thread to contain the new version #3 update of the wishlist.

Well, a man's gotta know his limitations, and I know if I download that wish list and read it, I'll wind up spending the rest of the morning commenting on it.

So I shan't. However, I will add/reiterate one wish: a revival of early turn ending. A great deal of effort seems to have been devoted to making it go away for those who don't want it. However, some of us do want it, and we'd like to be able to have the option of being able to have it.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 162
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 11/1/2007 7:35:28 PM   
JAMiAM

quote:

quote:

Well, a man's gotta know his limitations, and I know if I download that wish list and read it, I'll wind up spending the rest of the morning commenting on it.

So I shan't. However, I will add/reiterate one wish: a revival of early turn ending. A great deal of effort seems to have been devoted to making it go away for those who don't want it. However, some of us do want it, and we'd like to be able to have the option of being able to have it.

Early turn endings still occur. That aspect of the code has not changed.

Post #: 163
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 11/1/2007 7:49:15 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

quote:

quote:

Whatever the code, that aspect of the game certainly has changed. Right now I'm dealing with its impact on Seelowe. The Brits used to get in an average of about 1.7 rounds of combat per turn. Now it's more like 4.0.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 164
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 11/2/2007 7:12:00 PM   
JAMiAM

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Whatever the code, that aspect of the game certainly has changed. Right now I'm dealing with its impact on Seelowe. The Brits used to get in an average of about 1.7 rounds of combat per turn. Now it's more like 4.0.

Colin, can you send the scenario, eqp files, and any relevent docs to me? I'll try to see if there is anything that might be causing you trouble under TOAW III. Also, if there is a set of files from your work under CoW that I can compare with, that might be helpful.

Post #: 165
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 11/2/2007 8:29:58 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Colin, can you send the scenario, eqp files, and any relevent docs to me? I'll try to see if there is anything that might be causing you trouble under TOAW III. Also, if there is a set of files from your work under CoW that I can compare with, that might be helpful.

Thanks. Will do. The ACOW file will miss some of the tiles, etc -- but for your purposes that shouldn't matter.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 166
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 11/2/2007 9:33:05 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

ORIGINAL: COLIN WRIGHT
quote:

Thanks. Will do. The ACOW file will miss some of the tiles, etc -- but for your purposes that shouldn't matter.

It would seem that I won't. Not until you send me an e-mail address that I can send files to. Or am I missing something?

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 167
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 11/2/2007 9:59:02 PM   
JAMiAM

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: COLIN WRIGHT
quote:

It would seem that I won't. Not until you send me an e-mail address that I can send files to. Or am I missing something?

Hi Colin,

I twice tried to reply to the email address that was referenced in the Matrix email notification (wrightmoving AT sbcglobal DOT net) but it was undeliverable. If this is an old email address, you may need to update your profile here.

Anyhow, you can send directly to me at iamjamiam AT yahoo DOT com.

Post #: 168
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 11/3/2007 12:12:49 AM   
ColinWright

wrightmoving@sbcglobal.net? Should work -- I just got three pieces of mail.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 169
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 11/3/2007 12:33:15 AM   
JAMiAM

quote:

wrightmoving@sbcglobal.net? Should work -- I just got three pieces of mail.

Receipt confirmed on the files sent. I replied to see if we're still having email conflicts.

Post #: 170
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 11/3/2007 12:37:41 AM   
ColinWright

We're all good now.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 171
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 11/3/2007 7:04:46 PM   
DeadInThrench

OK, I was asked to post this one suggestion here so it would be on the wishlist thread.

The suggestion..... that there be an option to have the hex composition screen in the upper right hand corner of the display in lieu of what is there now. Then, when you move the cursor over a hex you would see each of the units that are in that hex in that display.

The idea is an option for one or the other, maybe a pull-down option.

DiT

Post #: 172
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 11/3/2007 10:56:21 PM   
bstarr

I want a pony.

Oh, wait, this is the Chirstmas wish list, right?

Post #: 173
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 11/4/2007 12:49:26 AM   
Silvanski

quote:

ORIGINAL: bstarr

I want a pony.

Not quite, but with bio-ed you can change your horse teams into pony teams

The TOAW Redux Dude

(in reply to bstarr)
Post #: 174
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 11/4/2007 1:52:04 AM   
ColinWright

quote:

ORIGINAL: Silvanski

quote:

I want a pony.

Plus, you can modify the sound files. Actually, all this suggests an -- ahem -- unusual mod. Think Drang Nach Osten meets 'My Little Pony.'

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to Silvanski)
Post #: 175
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 11/4/2007 6:46:26 PM   
bstarr

quote:

quote:

quote:

I want a pony.

Plus, you can modify the sound files. Actually, all this suggests an -- ahem -- unusual mod. Think Drang Nach Osten meets 'My Little Pony.'

That reminds me of a cartoon skit - Puff the Magic Dragon meets Smaug. It lasted about five seconds, showing Puff flying around with his cutesy theme song playing, then a blaze of fire shot across the screen torching him to black dust.

Post #: 176
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 11/4/2007 7:04:47 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I want a pony.

That reminds me of a cartoon skit - Puff the Magic Dragon meets Smaug. It lasted about five seconds, showing Puff flying around with his cutesy theme song playing, then a blaze of fire shot across the screen torching him to black dust.

May I also recommend Bambi meets Godzilla?

However, I was thinking more redoing all the graphics tiles with a great deal of pink and glitter, bringing in a lot of cartoon figurines with big eyes, and getting sound effects from whoever does those videos for three year olds being brought up by loving parents.

< Message edited by ColinWright -- 11/4/2007 7:06:57 PM >

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to bstarr)
Post #: 177
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 11/4/2007 7:53:43 PM   
sPzAbt653

Maybe during combat resolution we can have the soundtrack from Batman's fight scenes, and some of those full screen 'Bam!' and 'Whack!' graphics.

Post #: 178
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 11/4/2007 7:57:31 PM   
bstarr

quote:

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653

Maybe during combat resolution we can have the soundtrack from Batman's fight scenes, and some of those full screen 'Bam!' and 'Whack!' graphics.

LOL! I love that idea.

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 179
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 1/22/2008 9:18:21 AM   
Legun

Hi all, Friends!
I'm back after some months of heavy engagement on other fronts. I'm glad to see new and new wishes on the list. Thanks for care for the enterprice, Bob. I would like to add one more point to the list:
11.24. Support different unit graphics for each side (you can't see type of infantry or colour of formation of enemy units). Just make possibility to add next graphic file to a scenario graphic directory: f.e. units_1_grey_1_side2.bmp. The file is used instead of units_1_grey_1.bmp when the P2 is making his turn.

Additionally, I would like to make a long-ego planned step. We could ask Ralph (Let Him Live Forever) if he could tell us his "price" of each of the points (primary and secondary only) - an approximated amount of time needed to implement such change. Next we could ask about time projected for next patch. Then we could ask all members of TOAW community for they preferences. Each one could select points he would like to "buy" for next patch. If we add such individual selections we could create a ranking of demands, taking into account "prices" of specifical wishes.

< Message edited by Legun -- 1/22/2008 1:02:03 PM >

(in reply to Silvanski)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Scenario Design >> RE: Comprehensive Wishlist Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI