Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Is America shut down for the weekend?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Is America shut down for the weekend? Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Is America shut down for the weekend? - 1/27/2008 3:32:35 PM   
Roger Neilson II

I ask because the traffic seems to be very minimal at the moment on the forum and I just wondered if there was some major sporting event, festival, convention that measn everyone is out doing things?

Or are we all just hibernating until AE appears or the spring comes?

Roger

Post #: 1
RE: Is America shut down for the weekend? - 1/27/2008 3:34:50 PM   
Mike Scholl

Possibly resting up for the "Super Bowl". Or in shock as the Holiday "Master Charge Billing" arrived.

< Message edited by Mike Scholl -- 1/27/2008 3:36:03 PM >

(in reply to Roger Neilson II)
Post #: 2
RE: Is America shut down for the weekend? - 1/27/2008 3:36:25 PM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

ORIGINAL: Roger Neilson II

I ask because the traffic seems to be very minimal at the moment on the forum and I just wondered if there was some major sporting event, festival, convention that measn everyone is out doing things?

Roger

They have their "football" on Sunday... it is still beyond me that something can be called football when they predominantly play it by hand... and they call our true football "soccer"... ah well...

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

Post #: 3
RE: Is America shut down for the weekend? - 1/27/2008 3:46:39 PM   
KTNJR

For me, it's my first weekend off in a couple of months and no turns in my inbox.

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 4
RE: Is America shut down for the weekend? - 1/27/2008 3:50:06 PM   
Mike Solli

quote:

ORIGINAL: Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

Roger

They have their "football" on Sunday... it is still beyond me that something can be called football when they predominantly play it by hand... and they call our true football "soccer"... ah well...

Leo "Apollo11"

Pffft! No football today. It's an off week before the Super Bowl next Sunday. I'm not sure what's going on either. Been waiting all weekend for a turn in my inbox but no luck.

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 5
RE: Is America shut down for the weekend? - 1/27/2008 3:50:27 PM   
Feinder

Actually, this is the Sunday that wive get the first chink in the armor on getting those jobs done you're behind on. 

Superbowl is next Sunday, so you sit aournd going, "Hm.  What do I do today?  No football.  Superbowl is next Sunday.  Pub will be empty today." 

Then your wife pipe's up and says, "Since there's no game the pub will be empty and you could do [fill in the blank] for me..." 

So you put on your best I didn't hear that last comment look, and mutter to yourself, "Hm.  What to do today?  No football.  Superbowl is next Sunday.  Hm.  Maybe there's a turn in my in-box.  I guess I should get caught-up on my AAR..." 

And in a louder voice directly into your ear she says, "Since there's no game today, you could do..."

-F-

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 6
RE: Is America shut down for the weekend? - 1/27/2008 3:52:13 PM   
Andy Mac

Its the weird american variant of Rugby climaxing this weekend I think. One of my neighbours keeps talking about it as though its a big event (he is American)

He seems genuinelly shocked that I don't even know who is playing

(in reply to KTNJR)
Post #: 7
RE: Is America shut down for the weekend? - 1/27/2008 3:57:10 PM   
Terminus

Always quiet here on weekends...

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 8
RE: Is America shut down for the weekend? - 1/27/2008 4:33:10 PM   
m10bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Always quiet here on weekends...

Thing of beauty

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 9
RE: Is America shut down for the weekend? - 1/27/2008 4:42:21 PM   
Terminus

Yeah, that DC-2 in the background is real purty...

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 10
RE: Is America shut down for the weekend? - 1/27/2008 5:06:37 PM   
BrucePowers

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 11
RE: Is America shut down for the weekend? - 1/27/2008 5:11:20 PM   
Mike Scholl

quote:

Leo "Apollo11"

It's always puzzled me whay, after millions of years of evolution to learn to walk upright and use our hands, Europeans invented a game that penalizes half that progress. Must be some secret drive to "return to the trees".

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 12
RE: Is America shut down for the weekend? - 1/27/2008 5:15:36 PM   
Terminus

And your overpadded, so-called "football" doesn't use the other part. Weak argument there, Scholl...

(in reply to Mike Scholl)
Post #: 13
RE: Is America shut down for the weekend? - 1/27/2008 5:22:58 PM   
Mike Scholl

quote:

And your overpadded, so-called "football" doesn't use the other part. Weak argument there, Scholl...

Sure it does. That's why there is a position called "running back". It's just we favor using the feet for their designed purpose, and leaving the "ball handling" to the hands.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 14
RE: Is America shut down for the weekend? - 1/27/2008 5:28:52 PM   
m10bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Scholl

quote:

Sure it does. That's why there is a position called "running back". It's just we favor using the feet for their designed purpose, and leaving the "ball handling" to the hands.

No.....T probably DOES handle his balls with his feet..
Further, if it were up to him, aerial beauty would be personified by this plane,(in lieu of the wonderful Douglas in my avatar):

Attachment (1)

Post #: 15
RE: Is America shut down for the weekend? - 1/27/2008 5:58:10 PM   
Terminus

The Douglas is in your sigline...

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 16
RE: Is America shut down for the weekend? - 1/27/2008 6:00:20 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

Hi all,

quote:

Roger

Leo "Apollo11"

Except for hockey , all sports that Americans play involve using one's hands on the ball....It football we have the only American sport where you can occasionally kick the ball. I was always told you can tell an American kid from European kid by throwing them a ball. If they catch it with their hands, they are American. If they trap it with their feet , they are European.

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 17
RE: Is America shut down for the weekend? - 1/27/2008 6:03:02 PM   
Terminus

Most of the people who touch the ball with their feet in American "football" are non-Americans, IIRC...

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 18
RE: Is America shut down for the weekend? - 1/27/2008 6:05:09 PM   
Terminus

quote:

ORIGINAL: m10bob

quote:

quote:

No.....T probably DOES handle his balls with his feet..

Sorry, haven't been that nimble for a few decades...

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 19
RE: Is America shut down for the weekend? - 1/27/2008 6:05:16 PM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Andy Mac

Its the weird american variant of Rugby climaxing this weekend I think. One of my neighbours keeps talking about it as though its a big event (he is American)

He seems genuinelly shocked that I don't even know who is playing

Um, I don't either, and I am American. Not all of us even like to watch sports. Needless to say, I won't be watching it next Sunday, nor will I know or care who wins it.

And don't get your hopes up, I don't like the European version of football either. About the only sport I like to watch at all is hockey...and I live in the US Southwest...where we rarely get snow.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 20
RE: Is America shut down for the weekend? - 1/27/2008 6:28:27 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

Most of the people who touch the ball with their feet in American "football" are non-Americans, IIRC...

Not quite...in American football, kicking is called for in two circumstances (special-a "kick-off'-opening play, an extra point, etc). The second is a move of desperation-you can't move the ball down the field, so kick it for a lesser amount of points-a "field goal" vs. a "touch down".

As far as American football being "rugby with pads", there are actually a great many differences , and you really need to play both to get it (I have , and today couldn't careless for either). An American football is flight has more in common with an artilley shell or a rifle bullet than a ball. There is a certain technique in "spining" the ball. If you don't do it correctly , it wobbles and goes all over the place. I had great fun at KAC (the colledge I went to in Hampshire) with some of the Rugby players who scorned the game.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 21
RE: Is America shut down for the weekend? - 1/27/2008 6:43:30 PM   
Roger Neilson II

Well I certainly 'kicked off' something here didn't I?

Roger

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 22
RE: Is America shut down for the weekend? - 1/27/2008 6:48:19 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

Roger

simply a friendly discussion intending to broaden perspectives between friends raised in different lands and cultures in regards to their national sports. (Boy , I sound like a bloody multi-culti human resources wallha , don't I?)

Post #: 23
RE: Is America shut down for the weekend? - 1/27/2008 7:02:35 PM   
Mike Scholl

quote:

Roger

Well..., you wanted some "activity". Nothing like getting a bunch of guys talking sports (or silly European substitutes) to "stir the pot".

Post #: 24
RE: Is America shut down for the weekend? - 1/27/2008 7:08:43 PM   
Titanwarrior89

Like most, Ive been raised on watching football all my life.  Some Super Bowls have been good games but overall most of tlhe games turn out to be a Super bore.

Hope the Giants beating New England will be a "Super Game".  Giants by 4!!!

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

Post #: 25
RE: Is America shut down for the weekend? - 1/27/2008 7:20:28 PM   
Feinder

I gotta admit, I'm actually pulling for New England.  I -was- rooting against them 2nd half of season, for the sole purpose of keeping the Miami record intact.  But now that they're so close, I'm rooting for 'em.  Miami's record was back in '72(?), I was only one.  So at this point I'd kind of like for them to win, so I can say, "I got to watch that game when they broke the record..."

-F-

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

(in reply to Titanwarrior89)
Post #: 26
RE: Is America shut down for the weekend? - 1/27/2008 7:51:28 PM   
Roger Neilson II

quote:

quote:

Roger

Well..., you wanted some "activity". Nothing like getting a bunch of guys talking sports (or silly European substitutes) to "stir the pot".

Ok here you go again, you 'johnny come lately's' and your new fangled weird interpretations of the fine art of sportsmanship. True football can be dated back to the Viking invasions when it was common practice to foot the ball (the enemy's head) round the village as true sport......

I don't know, next you'll be claiming you liberated Burma with just Errol Flynn and captured the U Boat containing the Enigma ciphers.......

IN order to back up my point I quote (entirely selectively) from the learned Wikipedia:

The earliest mention of a ball game that involves kicking was in 1321, in Shouldham, Norfolk: "[d]uring the game at ball as he kicked the ball, a lay friend of his... ran against him and wounded himself".[6]

In 1363, King Edward III of England issued a proclamation banning "...handball, football, or hockey; coursing and cock-fighting, or other such idle games", showing that "football" — whatever its exact form in this case — was being differentiated from games involving other parts of the body, such as handball.

King Henry IV of England gives the earliest documented use of the English word "football", in 1409, when he issued a proclamation forbidding the levying of money for "foteball".[6][7]

There is also an account in Latin from the end of the 15th century of football being played at Cawston, Nottinghamshire. This is the first description of a "kicking game" and the first description of dribbling: "[t]he game at which they had met for common recreation is called by some the foot-ball game. It is one in which young men, in country sport, propel a huge ball not by throwing it into the air but by striking it and rolling it along the ground, and that not with their hands but with their feet... kicking in opposite directions" The chronicler gives the earliest reference to a football field, stating that: "[t]he boundaries have been marked and the game had started.[6]

So there you go..... and yes I have no turns to do!

Roger

Post #: 27
RE: Is America shut down for the weekend? - 1/27/2008 8:06:06 PM   
Mike Scholl

The only retort I can make to such an historical flurry of fact is to point out that your games were so exciting that when the chance came to move to a new continent and start over, the population that did so seems to have dumped them "en masse" and started over. Thus did boring Cricket become exciting Baseball, and Soccer and Rugby develope into genuine American Football.

Post #: 28
RE: Is America shut down for the weekend? - 1/27/2008 8:13:21 PM   
Shark7

quote:

next you'll be claiming you liberated Burma with just Errol Flynn

Roger

Wait a second! You mean Errol Flynn didn't liberate Burma!?

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

Post #: 29
RE: Is America shut down for the weekend? - 1/27/2008 8:16:18 PM   
Terminus

Similarly, Ben Affleck didn't win the Battle of Britain, and Matthew McWhatshisname didn't get the Enigma machine...

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Is America shut down for the weekend? Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI