Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: WiF Master Edition

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: WiF Master Edition Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: WiF Master Edition - 1/29/2008 6:57:45 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

Here's the top half of the lower middle.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 91
RE: WiF Master Edition - 1/29/2008 7:01:08 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

The bottom half of the lower middle.

As I guess you can tell, I am referring to these as upper left (Europe), lower left (Africa), upper middle (China), lower middle (Australia), upper right (North America) and lower right (South America). These labels are not completely precise, but they work pretty well for the 6 map segments you suggested.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 92
RE: WiF Master Edition - 1/29/2008 7:03:14 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

The top half of the upper right. There will be a 3 hex column overlap with both the upper middle and the upper left.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 93
RE: WiF Master Edition - 1/29/2008 7:04:53 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

The bottom half of the upper right.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 94
RE: WiF Master Edition - 1/29/2008 7:06:22 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

Into the home stretch - the top half of the lower right.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 95
RE: WiF Master Edition - 1/29/2008 7:08:26 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

11th and last in the series. Doesn't everyone want a set of these for their wall? Assuming they can afford the divorce.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 96
RE: WiF Master Edition - 1/29/2008 2:21:36 PM   
Stewart

Post #: 97
RE: WiF Master Edition - 1/29/2008 7:19:46 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

I recalculated the size of the hexes today and came up with 6 inches vertically for 10 hexes and 110/16 inches wide for 10 hexes. I think I might have had these reversed previously.

This comes out to an average of .6 inches wide and 11/16 inches high. The vertical has nested hexes but that should be insignificant since the bottom vertical segments have 1 less hex than the upper segments, which allows for an extra hex row at the bottom of the bottom segments to accommodate the last partial hew row.

The columns run from 0 to 359 and then wrap around. The rows run from 0 to 194.

As you suggested, there are 3 hexs of overlap both horizontally and vertically.

Therefore, each segment is 123 hex columns wide and 100 hex rows high.

The map pieces have the following corners in terms of MWIF column and row numbers (C, R). The upper left & lower right corners are:
Europe - (355, 0) & (118, 99)
Africa - (355, 96) & (118, 194)
China - (115, 0) & (238, 99)
Australia - (115, 96) & (238, 194)
N. America - (235, 0) & (358, 99)
S. America - (235, 96) & ( 358, 194)

This results in each piece being precisely 7 feet and 1/2 inch wide by 5 feet high. For all practical purposes these are 7 by 5 feet.

I am somewhat concerned about the change in aspect ratio.
- MWIF uses 136 pixels wide by 114 pixels high for each hex. That is 1.193.
- WIF uses 11/16 inches by .6 inches for each hex. That is 1.146.
- Since the aspect ratios do not match perfectly, there is likely to be some distortion, whether it is preceptible to the human eye, I do not know.
- I doubt that it will affect the hexes themselves or terrain features. That's because it looks fine on the screen.
- But I am not so sure about the text/labels. They will be rendered into a bitmap image (probably TIFF) using 1.193 but then compressed horizontally to 1.146 for printing. And the human eye is very discerning when it comes to whether fonts are rendered correctly.

< Message edited by Shannon V. OKeets -- 1/29/2008 7:20:15 PM >

Steve

(in reply to Stewart)
Post #: 98
RE: WiF Master Edition - 1/30/2008 10:39:36 PM   
mlees

Hmm. If you affixed these maps to a metal backing (for use with magnets), that's going to be heavy sucker.

(I was imagining the 7 foot tall metal cylinder mentioned in previous discussions. :) I bet it'll fall through my floor, and land in my neighbors lap. How heavy would such a cylinder be, if made out of a magnetic matriel? It can't be too thin, if it is to stand upright without sagging...)

Post #: 99
RE: WiF Master Edition - 1/30/2008 10:47:21 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: mlees

Hmm. If you affixed these maps to a metal backing (for use with magnets), that's going to be heavy sucker.

(I was imagining the 7 foot tall metal cylinder mentioned in previous discussions. :) I bet it'll fall through my floor, and land in my neighbors lap. How heavy would such a cylinder be, if made out of a magnetic matriel? It can't be too thin, if it is to stand upright without sagging...)

Well, it could be thin if reinforcing pieces (wooden) were added. This is not my area of expertise, but I expect a few verticals and some cross pieces would be enough.

Steve

(in reply to mlees)
Post #: 100
RE: WiF Master Edition - 1/31/2008 7:31:46 AM   
Anendrue

Weight is not much of a factor . If yoiu use .020 thin flexible steel the weight really drops off. But the cost goes up.

edit added cost sentence

< Message edited by abj9562 -- 1/31/2008 7:32:47 AM >

Integrity is what you do when nobody is watching.

(in reply to mlees)
Post #: 101
RE: WiF Master Edition - 1/31/2008 7:48:28 AM   
Anendrue

Steve, the map sections look great! It seems like the section create usable theaters of operations. So six sections at approx 7x5 ft, That fits a standard garage wall length of 21 feet damn near exactly if you overlap the maps. Use both walls and you have it made. I guess the .020mm thin flexible steel needs to go on my shopping list.

I have not been to a sign shop to check on materials yet. From what I remember on company projects - there is a vinyl banner material that will handle the fine level of printing we all want to see and it weathers nicely even outdoors. Whoever prints could probably do a small test print of 2'x2' in a busy hex area to see what it looks like. Maybe the Benelux region of Europe.

About the pixel scale. These maps are so large that I am not sure the eye could discern the hex ratio changes with so many in sight at a time.

I also agree on the fonts. Little problems on a small map are just that  - small. However, on a huge map the same problem becomes huge.

Integrity is what you do when nobody is watching.

(in reply to Anendrue)
Post #: 102
RE: WiF Master Edition - 1/31/2008 11:13:53 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: abj9562

Steve, the map sections look great! It seems like the section create usable theaters of operations. So six sections at approx 7x5 ft, That fits a standard garage wall length of 21 feet damn near exactly if you overlap the maps. Use both walls and you have it made. I guess the .020mm thin flexible steel needs to go on my shopping list.

I have not been to a sign shop to check on materials yet. From what I remember on company projects - there is a vinyl banner material that will handle the fine level of printing we all want to see and it weathers nicely even outdoors. Whoever prints could probably do a small test print of 2'x2' in a busy hex area to see what it looks like. Maybe the Benelux region of Europe.

About the pixel scale. These maps are so large that I am not sure the eye could discern the hex ratio changes with so many in sight at a time.

I also agree on the fonts. Little problems on a small map are just that  - small. However, on a huge map the same problem becomes huge.

I talked to a (the?) printer yesterday. I want to do this is 4 steps:
1 - Have him send me 7' by 5' samples on 3 or 4 media, using the test print Patrice and I assembled almost exactly a year ago. That is the full vertical (195
hex rows) of Europe and Africa.
2 - Have him do a single page (Europe) on the selected media with the actual bitmap image that we will use as the final Europe segment.
3 - Have him do a full set of teh 6 map segments for review by me and David Heath (Matrix Games), and maybe Harry Rowland (ADG).
4 - Take orders.

You shouldn't spend money until step 4.

Steve

(in reply to Anendrue)
Post #: 103
RE: WiF Master Edition - 1/31/2008 1:14:50 PM   
Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets
1 - Have him send me 7' by 5' samples on 3 or 4 media, using the test print Patrice and I assembled almost exactly a year ago. That is the full vertical (195
2 - Have him do a single page (Europe) on the selected media with the actual bitmap image that we will use as the final Europe segment.
3 - Have him do a full set of teh 6 map segments for review by me and David Heath (Matrix Games), and maybe Harry Rowland (ADG).
4 - Take orders.

I don't know if the process of arriving to step 4 will be long or not, but I'm ready to re-do the assembled image (from your large BMP screenshots, as we did last time) just before you make the real prints, so that we ensure we have the very last version of the map printed (and not a 1 year old map to which dozens of modifications were made).

Post #: 104
RE: WiF Master Edition - 1/31/2008 1:15:25 PM   
Froonp

quote:

4 - Take orders.

I order one !!!

Post #: 105
RE: WiF Master Edition - 1/31/2008 8:02:20 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Froonp

quote:

4 - Take orders.

I don't know if the process of arriving to step 4 will be long or not, but I'm ready to re-do the assembled image (from your large BMP screenshots, as we did last time) just before you make the real prints, so that we ensure we have the very last version of the map printed (and not a 1 year old map to which dozens of modifications were made).

Thanks.

Step 2 has some tricky technical bits to it. Converting pixels to inches in particular.

Steve

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 106
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: WiF Master Edition Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI