Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Arty - Better to miss than hit?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Arty - Better to miss than hit? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Arty - Better to miss than hit? - 9/19/2000 2:02:00 AM   
Windo von Paene

So I'm trying out the "Can you save the 78th" scenario, and with the massive amounts of artillary the Soviets are dropping on me, I've started to notice a pattern which I hadn't before. It appears that more causalties are caused by artillary that falls in a hex next to a squad than those that actually hit the squads hex. I would say that 3 out of 5 shells that land adjacent to a squad are causing a casualty, where on a direct hit it's more like 1 in 5. Anyone else seen this behavior, or am I just imagining it. BTW, seems like a pretty good scenario so far. I've taken out 5 of the Russian tanks on the east side of the map, and am making pretty good progress towards the west. Course I just stumbled onto some Ruskies coming from the north, so it looks like things are going to be heating up a bit...

Post #: 1
- 9/19/2000 2:33:00 AM   
Rover

Now that you mention it I've seen this as well...

(in reply to Windo von Paene)
Post #: 2
- 9/19/2000 3:34:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

This has come up before - We're taking a look at it....

Post #: 3
- 9/20/2000 10:49:00 AM   
Tank

Yup, gotta concur. I've seen guys in a building get whacked to the tune of two or three while the guys OUTSIDE of the building, IN the hex that the shells were falling in took no casualties. I guess it was,"Hey, Joe, come look at this..." While the guys outside were yelling, "Take cover! Incoming!" "Joe? Joe, where are you boy? Ooh! Damn. Yuck!." Regards, Tank [This message has been edited by Tank (edited September 19, 2000).]

Post #: 4
- 9/20/2000 8:25:00 PM   
Charles22

I think the artillery's been made more potent than it was in V2.3, as well.

Post #: 5
- 9/20/2000 10:27:00 PM   
Windo von Paene

Charles Well it certainly seems that arty and airstrikes do a lot more suppression that they used to. Started WB's "Bloody Trail" scenario the other day, and there were some opening airstrikes that just wasted my dudes fighting fortitude.

Post #: 6
- 9/20/2000 10:59:00 PM   
Wild Bill

This situation is being corrected in a 4.1 patch. We are listening...WB ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

Post #: 7
- 9/21/2000 12:28:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

The "collateral damage" to artillery is toned down that is, but the suppresion effects of bombs in particular are still far reaching... Killing in general has been toned down a bit inversion 4.1 - more retreating and such, less units evaporating...

Post #: 8
- 9/21/2000 12:40:00 AM   
Ballan

On the first mission june 1941 on the lomh campaign I was the defending German force, dug in against the assaulting Russian over a river crossing. At the end I counted up the Russian artillery support "30 batteries of 152mm guns, batteries not just guns" . No wonder I took heavy casualities but still won a decisive victory. Hard topped AFVs should be more resistant to in direct fire with the greater chance of destroying secondary systems and tracks.

Post #: 9
- 9/21/2000 2:19:00 AM   
Tombstone

With the big adjacent hex damage bug in effect air-strikes are devastating to infantry. You land 4 500lb bombs on a hex and you get to see massive death. Its pretty neat, but I'm glad its getting looked at for 4.1 Tomo

Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Arty - Better to miss than hit? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI