Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Small Ship, Big War

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Small Ship, Big War Page: <<   < prev  68 69 [70] 71 72   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/26/2008 3:03:57 PM   
tocaff

I think that Shun respects the skipper as a man in addition to the rank and that he is extremely loyal too.

Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 2071
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/26/2008 8:44:15 PM   
Cuttlefish

I’ve been writing this thing for one year as of today. I don’t know what I expected when I started it, but it certainly isn’t that it would be as popular as it has turned out to be. Or that writing it would turn out to occupy so much of my time and thoughts.

I don’t talk much about the actual process of writing this. For one thing, I have a strong sense that I should keep my voice out of it as much as possible and just let the story happen. And for another thing I am my own harshest critic and am harder on myself than any of you are inclined to be.

But I thought I would make an exception today, mostly so I could say thanks to everyone. Doing any AAR takes a fair amount of time and effort, and doing an AAR like this even more so. But you guys have been great, and your enthusiasm has kept me at it and made me work to make it better. Although I think at this point I would plug on to the finish even if everyone stopped reading tomorrow. I want to find out what happens to Hibiki and her crew as much as anyone.

I think the biggest surprise about writing this is how real the characters have become for me. They don’t talk to me and tell me to do things – I still have a kind of shaky grip on sanity – but they are real enough that sometimes they do things that I hadn’t planned and don’t expect.

Riku would be a good example of this. I intended him to be a secondary character, a slacker and occasional comic relief. But he would not stay in that role, to the extent that I think a case could be made that he is the main character of the story.

Anyway, enough about that. You might get an earful about that sort of thing when it’s all over, but for now back to the story (tomorrow, that is – I’m pretty busy today).

Once again, thanks to everyone who has taken the time to read “Small Ship”. And a special thanks to my opponent, wolffpack. He knew in advance that I was planning a “different” sort of AAR for this game, but he had no reason to expect that his first PBEM would turn out to have such a high profile. He has been great about it, though, and a class act as an opponent. Right now the game is at Dec. 24, 1943, so we are continuing to keep up a good pace.

With that let’s get back to the war, as Japan struggles to stand firm against a rising tide.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2072
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/26/2008 9:18:06 PM   
Feinder

Well, thanks for your time and to the dedication of both of you (most of know what sort of dedication it takes to keep playing this game).  Keep it up.  This AAR has been my first stop in these forums for a long time now (to see if there's an update).

Thanks again,
-F-

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2073
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/26/2008 10:59:57 PM   
BigBadWolf

Same here. Thanks for your skill and time Cuttlefish. 

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 2074
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/27/2008 3:07:03 AM   
tocaff

I, too, check for "Small Ship" updates whenever I log onto the internet as I've become a Hibiki junkie.

Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768

(in reply to BigBadWolf)
Post #: 2075
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/27/2008 4:13:17 AM   
ChezDaJez

This AAR is the first thing I look for after checking to see if Brad has sent me a turn.

You have a style of writing that just makes one want to keep turning to the next page to make sure this ship and crew are still safe. The frustrating part is that I have to wait for each new page to appear.

My favorite character is CPO Shun. Mysterious, foreboding, deadly yet very much human... though he does try to hide it as best he can with his stoic exterior. He is not a man I would want to meet in a brightly lit alley let alone a dark one but he is someone I would want by my side when the bullets fly.

Keep up the good work and don't ever lower your standards to please us raggamuffins... just please yourself with your writing and to paraphrase Kevin Costner.... "we will come..."

Chez

Ret Navy AWCS (1972-1998)
VP-5, Jacksonville, Fl 1973-78
ASW Ops Center, Rota, Spain 1978-81
VP-40, Mt View, Ca 1981-87
Patrol Wing 10, Mt View, CA 1987-90
ASW Ops Center, Adak, Ak 1990-92
NRD Seattle 1992-96
VP-46, Whidbey Isl, Wa 1996-98

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2076
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/27/2008 3:00:11 PM   
Durbik

quote:

I think the biggest surprise about writing this is how real the characters have become for me. They don’t talk to me and tell me to do things – I still have a kind of shaky grip on sanity – but they are real enough that sometimes they do things that I hadn’t planned and don’t expect.

Being a big fan of Stephen King - I know he's always saying the same thing about his characters. Except for one thing - they actually talk to him often :D

obey the fist!

(in reply to ChezDaJez)
Post #: 2077
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/27/2008 4:01:47 PM   
Feinder

Comparing Hibiki to Stephen King, hm, let's go down that road shall we...?

CPO Shun dressed in a clown suit...

Capt. Ishii gets stranded on top Mt. Nitaka...

Riki gets stuck in on Yap trying to get passage to back to Hibiki...

Shoji and Shiro decide to enter a race over the Kokoda trail on their next shore leave...

-F-

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

(in reply to Durbik)
Post #: 2078
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/27/2008 6:30:14 PM   
histgamer

Cuttlefish you are a master.

This along with the general forum are the only two places I check on a daily basis.

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 2079
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/28/2008 4:43:24 AM   
John 3rd

I--too--would add my compliments for this achievement.  It is wonderful to read and you definately have a strong dramatic sense about you! 

Warm Thoughts to you and the crew of IJN Hibiki.

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to histgamer)
Post #: 2080
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/28/2008 6:45:52 PM   
Cuttlefish

October 7, 1943

Course: None
Attached to: TF 4
Mission: Air Combat
System Damage: 0
Float Damage: 0
Fires: 0
Fuel: 258

Orders: Engage enemy fleet off New Caledonia

---

The Japanese fleet returns to Luganville. The ships anchor off the verdant island of Espiritu Santo after dark. Hibiki’s crew have fond memories of their previous visit here, when the island was their first port after weeks at sea hunting enemy ships. The island is a cornucopia of fresh food. The French inhabitants still operate their plantations and cattle ranches, except now they do so in the service of the Empire of Japan. They get to maintain the illusion of the former way of life, and the Japanese get food. It works out well all around. No one really cares what the native population, pressed into service harvesting and gathering still more food, thinks of the whole business. Those among the French who attempted to intercede on their behalf were encouraged to turn their energies elsewhere. Those who would not are no longer around.

There is a different feeling in the air from that previous visit, though. Back then Japan was at the height of her power and it seemed that the war might end soon. Now it is more than a year later and the war is building in intensity. There is fighting on nearby New Caledonia and while the enemy fleet has retreated they could conceivably return to give battle at any time.

Hibiki’s crew is confident, of course, but there is still a sense that it wasn’t supposed to be like this. They should have all been home by now, the heroes who secured the Pacific for Japan. Instead the enemy is continuing to attack, and in ever greater numbers. These days the end of the war seems to be very far away indeed.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2081
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/28/2008 6:48:16 PM   
Cuttlefish

October 8, 1943

Fuel: 471

Orders: Engage enemy fleet off New Caledonia

---

One by one the Japanese ships enter Segond Channel to refuel at Luganville’s storage tanks . There are a lot of ships, and the process will go on through the day and into the night, much to the dismay of the beleaguered base force personnel overseeing the operation. They have already been far busier than usual supporting the aircraft which have been working to harass and repel the Allied invasion.

One of the ship’s boats takes Captain Ishii goes ashore in the morning. He returns several hours later. Lieutenant Sugiyura is waiting for him when he reaches the bridge.

“Welcome back, sir,” he says. “Did you pick up any news ashore?”

“Oh yes,” says Ishii. “There was a regular conference going on. It looks as though we may be in this area for a while. Transports have already left Kwajalein. We need to hold these waters clear of the enemy until they arrive.”

Sugiyura’s eyes light up. “Excellent, sir! The enemy’s supplies on New Caledonia can’t last forever. With fresh divisions coming in we may be able to wipe out the whole lot of them!”

Captain Ishii gives him a look. “The transports are empty, Sugiyura” he says. “We are evacuating.”

“What!” says Sugiyura indignantly. “Sir, we can’t do that! To retreat like that is…is dishonorable.”

“Lieutenant Sugiyura, be quiet!” snaps Ishii. “We are holding a defensive perimeter thousands of kilometers in length. The enemy’s manpower may be endless, but ours is not. There are no troops to send.” He lowers his voice, but still seems angry. “This is not a duel between two samurai. It is war. That division out there,” and he points in the direction of New Caledonia, ”the 4th Infantry Division, is one of our best. They will be needed.”

“Sir, yes sir, I am sorry if I spoke out of turn,” says Sugiyura. He is taken aback at his captain’s vehemence. “It is just that…well, sir, to retreat like that…”

Captain Ishii holds up a hand. “I know, Lieutenant,” he says. “There are many who feel as you do. But these islands form a deep salient into the enemy’s territory. It has been a useful salient, but it is vulnerable and costly to maintain. By retreating we shorten our lines and preserve our strength. It is not honorable, perhaps, but it is practical.” He smiles bitterly. “If it makes you feel any better we are leaving enough men behind to make the enemy expend time and resources recapturing these bases. They will give their lives in doing so. Is that honorable enough for you, Lieutenant?”

“Sir, it is not my decision to make,” says Sugiyura. He has decided it is not wise to push the captain’s mood any further. “Whatever our orders are, we will carry them out.”

“Yes,” says Ishii. “Look on the bright side, Sugiyura. The enemy may well figure out what we are doing and try and stop us.”

“We can always hope so, sir,” Sugiyura says. If there was any irony in Ishii’s statement he misses it completely.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2082
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/28/2008 10:31:55 PM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cuttlefish

Sugiyura’s eyes light up. “Excellent, sir! The enemy’s supplies on New Caledonia can’t last forever. With fresh divisions coming in we may be able to wipe out the whole lot of them!”

Captain Ishii gives him a look. “The transports are empty, Sugiyura” he says. “We are evacuating.”

“What!” says Sugiyura indignantly. “Sir, we can’t do that! To retreat like that is…is dishonorable.”

When I read that, I knew exactly how Lt. Sugiyura felt. A nice job conveying the fighting spirit of the IJN.

But if I'm reading my map correctly, the fall of New Caledonia will put Espiritu Santo within Mitchell and Lightning range . . .

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2083
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/28/2008 11:31:22 PM   
Cuttlefish

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capt. Harlock

But if I'm reading my map correctly, the fall of New Caledonia will put Espiritu Santo within Mitchell and Lightning range . . .

You are reading your map correctly. Note that when Captain Ishii spoke of evacuation he said "...we are leaving enough men behind to make the enemy expend time and resources recapturing these bases." Given that he was at Luganville when he said this, he might well have meant Luganville and Efate in addition to New Calendonia. I don't think Lieutenant Sugiyura picked up on that, though.

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 2084
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/29/2008 12:11:08 AM   
princep01

Yes, the good captain spoke of the salient in the Allie's side.  I took that "salient" to include Efate, Espiritu Santo and New Caledonia.  A retreat to the Solomons makes good sense.....something, Lt. Sugiyura may be somewhat deficient in.  Force conservation in a battle to designed buy time seems wise.  I'd wager that Ishii was on the side of those willing to shorten the defensive perimeter.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2085
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/29/2008 2:19:13 AM   
Fishbed

Well speaking of evacuating New Caledonia and Luganville by october 1943 anyway... We know that Cuttlefish is a very successful writer, but the more I read about how Japan behaved in that war, the more I suppose he must be a hell of a player too! 

(in reply to princep01)
Post #: 2086
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/29/2008 2:44:14 AM   
Cuttlefish

October 9, 1943

Fuel: 426

Orders: Protect evacuation convoy arriving from Kwajalein

---

The Japanese carriers do a sweep to the west to make sure there are no Allied ships in the vicinity. Nothing is found, and by nightfall they are back at Luganville. Evening finds Riku in the fresh food and vegetable storage locker doing inventory ahead of a morning foray ashore in search of supplies. He is just finishing when Taiki enters.

“Ah, Seaman Ariga, I was told I would find you here,” he says.

Riku comes to attention. “Good evening, Petty Officer,” he says. Taiki indicates he can relax, and Riku does so.

“I have a strange question for you,” says Taiki. “You don’t speak Chinese, do you?”

Riku shakes his head. “Not a word,” he says. “But I know someone aboard who does. Snake Man spent several years there when he was younger. His father was with the embassy or something.”

“Ah, good. I’ll go find him.”

“I’m heading for my hammock now,” says Riku. “He’s probably there. Let’s go find him.” The two make their way forward to the machine space where Riku, Shiro, Oizuma, and a few others rig their hammocks. Taiki looks around as he comes in. This is where he slept before his promotion. As crowded and noisy as it is, he still misses it sometimes. Sailors jump to their feet as he comes in.

“Relax, everyone,” he says. He spots Oizuma is over by Benzaiten’s crate and walks over there, weaving his head around some pipes as he does so. “Seaman Oizuma, how is the snake doing?”

“Just fine, Petty Officer,” says Oizuma.

“Good,” says Taiki. “I’m told you speak Chinese.”

“Yes, Petty Officer, at least I used to be pretty good. I’m a little rusty now.”

“Tell me,” Taiki asks, “do you know what ‘ching bang’ means?”

Oizuma looks puzzled for a moment, then he brightens. “Do you mean ‘qing bang’, Petty Officer?” He pronounces the first word as an odd cross between “ching” and “tsing” and the second word as “bahng”.

“Yes!” says Taiki. “That was it exactly.”

“That’s the Green Gang,” says Oizuma.

“Green Gang?” says Taiki.

“Sure,” says Oizuma, “the criminal syndicate that runs Shanghai. Ran it, anyway.”

“Those guys are really bad,” says Riku. “Where on earth did you hear that name around here, Taiki?”

Taiki shakes his head. “That’s not important,” he says. It's just another mystery, he thinks to himself, then thanks Oizuma and leaves.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2087
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/29/2008 12:40:22 PM   
Terminus

Hmmm... Isn't that interesting...

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2088
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/30/2008 1:04:59 AM   
Cuttlefish

October 10, 1943

Fuel: 424

---

Paymaster Lieutenant JG Kataoka leans back in his chair. “Good, very good, Ariga. What about yams? Were you able to secure any extra supplies of those?”

“Yes sir,” says Riku. “Twenty-four crates of them. The only thing I wasn’t able to find was more sake. The carrier boys got there first. If you wish I will try to find more tomorrow.”

Kataoka shakes his head. “We will be at sea tomorrow, and probably for some days after that.”

“What’s up, sir?” asks Riku. As with the medical corps, paymasters are not considered regular line officers in the Imperial Japanese Navy. But like any paymaster worth his salt the stout Kataoka has many sources of information and usually seems to know what is going on.

“We are sending our battleships and cruisers to New Caledonia to pay a social call on the Americans there,” Kataoka says. “The idea is to slow their attacks and maybe destroy some supply depots. Our troops there are being pushed very hard, and the enemy must be delayed if the evacuation is to be successful. The carriers will be on hand to cover the bombardment forces.”

“I’m surprised the Americans are able to keep attacking,” says Riku. “An army that size must go through a small mountain of supplies every day.”

Kataoka nods. “It’s impressive, to have landed that much supply in the time they had, given the limited port facilities they had available.” He pauses and looks thoughtful for a moment. “Can you imagine what their logistics planning must be like, Ariga? To supply the huge forces they have out here, so far from America? It must be impressive. I have heard that Americans are cowards, and maybe it’s true. That they are dirty and savage, and maybe it’s true. I don’t know. But I do know one thing about Americans, Ariga. They are brilliant organizers.”

He sighs. “And I’ll tell you something else,” he says. “If they win this war, their paymasters will be the reason. Talk all you want about carriers, about battleships, about aircraft. None of them are worth a damn without men like us. And the Americans are good at this sort of thing, Ariga, almost like ants. I mean that as a compliment to them. Just once, I would like to have access to their machinery, their resources, their organization.”

He pushes back his chair and stands up. “But enough of that. Listen to me, going on like a babbling old fishwife. You have done a good job today, as usual. Go get some rest.”

“Thank you, sir,” says Riku. He salutes and leaves. Kataoka returns to filling out requisition forms. He will be lucky to get half the items he needs. He has heard a rumor that some American warships even have vending machines for soda. The man who told him that was scoffing at American decadence, but Kataoka takes another lesson from the tale. A Navy that can do that, he thinks, can do almost anything. It worries him.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2089
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/30/2008 1:26:08 AM   
princep01

Ha, ha....I almost fell out of my chair laughing about Lt. Kataoka's description of Americans as, "almost like ants"!!  Very good!!  I'm still laughing as I write this:).

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2090
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/31/2008 12:04:34 AM   
napoleon1066

Having recently gotten WITP, I was cruising the forums and saw one that was over 65 pages in length.  I had to find out what all the fuss was about.  Cuddlefish, you've ruined my last 5 days at work.  Thank you- you've done amazing work, and really made the game come to life for me and, it is apparent, many, many others.  I'm definitely going to follow the Hibiki to the end, whatever that may be. 

(in reply to princep01)
Post #: 2091
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/31/2008 12:34:43 AM   
Mike Solli

Pretty cool, Cuttlefish.  You rated Napoleon's first post.

Created by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to napoleon1066)
Post #: 2092
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/31/2008 12:40:43 AM   
FeurerKrieg

A terrible event last night reminded me to post and say thanks for all the great writing, CF.

My Hibiki struck a VH2 mine while escorting a bombardment force into Palembang and sunk instantly. I was very disheartened.

Keep up the great story and thanks as always!!

Upper portion used with permission of www.subart.net, copyright John Meeks

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 2093
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/31/2008 3:20:34 AM   
farticus

breaking in the virgins

I find to be also looking in often for updates, kudos, props and dam you timeburgler, dam you all to hell

< Message edited by farticus -- 2/5/2008 12:36:08 AM >

(in reply to FeurerKrieg)
Post #: 2094
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/31/2008 3:31:35 AM   
kfmiller41

This is so good it is almost depressing as i am doing an AAR myself and could not possibly ever write as well as you do. It's like reading a Novel of WW2 in the Pacific. I just started reading this today and it is great. Keep it up sir as your writing style and story is first rate.

You have the ability to arouse various emotions in me: please select carefully.

(in reply to farticus)
Post #: 2095
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/31/2008 4:10:14 AM   
Cuttlefish

October 11, 1943

Course: South
Fuel: 363

---

The Japanese fleet sets out from Luganville. This time the battleships and cruisers will take center stage while the carrier groups are along as escorts. It is thought possible that the enemy carriers, now freed from having to protect a large and vulnerable invasion fleet, might try to interfere. Most aboard the Japanese ships hope so; it is now general knowledge that the Japanese troops are to be evacuated, and Lieutenant Sugiyura is not the only one to express dismay at this fact. A decisive naval victory might reverse that decision.

Rumor says that Admiral Yamamoto had to threaten to resign to get the War Ministry to agree to the evacuation. Whether or not this is true, the debate on the issue must have been ferocious. There are those who claim that the Navy agreed to it in the end simply so they could be seen as once again coming to the rescue of the Army. No one knows what the Army thinks, as the only local representatives are currently busy on New Caledonia trying to keep from being overrun.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2096
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/31/2008 4:13:48 AM   
Cuttlefish

October 12, 1943

Course: South
Fuel: 331

---

Petty Officer Okubo utters a low and vile curse. He is by the aft deckhouse, looking back past the rear 5” turret. Hibiki is rolling in a quartering sea and waves coming in over the ship’s low freeboard have broken a depth charge free from its rack. The heavy depth charge is now rolling back and forth, smashing against stanchions, racks, and the aft y-gun as it does so.

“Come on,” he mutters to Shoji, who is standing right behind him. “We’ve got to go get that damned thing.”

Shoji peers around him. “Should we secure a lifeline, Petty Officer?” he asks.

Okubo shakes his head. “No need,” he says. A cascade of water breaks over the stern. “Come on,” he growls as it drains away.

It is not fun to corral the heavy depth charge and wrestle it back towards the rack. Okubo cleverly uses the roll of the ship to aid them, though, and they manage to get the job done.

The depth charge once again secure, they start back. As they do so a large wave breaks over side of the ship. The two men are caught in it and swept aside by tons of water.

Okubo is brought up against the rack they had just left, his back smashing into a stanchion with bruising force. He twists around and manages to grab it before he is swept over the rack and into the sea. Shoji comes right past him. Okubo reaches out and manages to snag the collar of Shoji’s foul-weather jacket. His back and arms scream as they take the strain of the man’s weight. As the water drains away he spits some out, his mouth full of the taste of salt.

Shoji, still half dangling over the side, tries to scrabble back to firmer footing. “Hurry up, damn you!” snarls Okubo. He pulls, and then an even larger wave crashes over them. Its force is such that Okubo is not sure he can hold on. He decides he can’t take the chance. He releases his grip on Shoji and grabs the stanchion with both hands. When the wave passes he sputters and frees a hand long enough to wipe the water from his eyes. There is no sign of Shoji.

Okubo staggers back towards the deckhouse. As he frantically undogs the deckhouse hatch he raises a cry that is quickly taken up by the lookouts on the tower. “Man overboard!”

---

Shoji frantically struggles out of his oilskin jacket. A wave pounds over him, and as he submerges he lets the jacket float free. He kicks off his shoes and manages to surface, catching another wave in the face as he does so. He chokes and spits as he tries to tread water.

At least the water is warm, he thinks to himself. He peers around, but can see no sign of Hibiki or any other ship. He whirls to the crest of a wave and spots a ship in the distance. It’s a carrier, and there is little chance it can see him. He plunges into a trough and is briefly submerged again. When he rises to the surface once more the carrier is no longer visible.

Shoji is a decent swimmer, but he knows he can’t survive in this kind of sea for long. He worries briefly about being run down by another ship or eaten by sharks, but decides that he will almost certainly drown before any of these things can happen.

I really need to change my luck, he thinks. Another wave crashes over him, and he decides it is too late for that. He is driven deep but kicks his way back to the surface. He is already tired.

He struggles for a while longer. He does not know how long. It feels like days, all alone on the churning ocean. Then he opens his mouth at the wrong time and again chokes. A wave buries him, and he does not think that he will make it back to the surface this time before his air gives out.

As his lungs fill panic gives way to deep regret, then almost calm. Good bye, he thinks very clearly.

He feels pain as something grips his hair. He wonders dimly if it could be a shark. Then someone is behind him, grabbing him under the arms and sending them both back to the surface with powerful kicks. He rises to the surface next to the ship’s boat. Hope fills him again and he tries to breath, but can’t. Hands reach out and he is both lifted and pulled into the pitching boat.

It feels like he pukes half the ocean into the bottom of the boat before he can breathe again. When he finally does he is shocked at the pain that knifes through his lungs. But pain or not, never in his life has he felt like such a lucky man.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2097
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/31/2008 4:17:28 AM   
Onime No Kyo

It occurs to me that what poor Kataoka does not know is that the Americans probably waste as much supply as they get to use.

Welcome to all the new guys. CF will have you slobbering and having withdrawal shakes any day now.

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to kfmiller41)
Post #: 2098
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/31/2008 5:27:07 AM   
Cuttlefish

quote:

ORIGINAL: Onime No Kyo

Welcome to all the new guys. CF will have you slobbering and having withdrawal shakes any day now.

Yes, welcome to the new readers. I will do my best to keep ruining your days at work and stealing your time!

(in reply to Onime No Kyo)
Post #: 2099
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/31/2008 5:31:37 AM   
Cuttlefish

quote:

ORIGINAL: Feurer Krieg

A terrible event last night reminded me to post and say thanks for all the great writing, CF.

My Hibiki struck a VH2 mine while escorting a bombardment force into Palembang and sunk instantly. I was very disheartened.

Keep up the great story and thanks as always!!

My condolences on your loss. My Hibiki also escorted a bombardment force into Palembang in the early days of the war, and if it had met the same fate this would have been a mighty short AAR.

(in reply to FeurerKrieg)
Post #: 2100
Page:   <<   < prev  68 69 [70] 71 72   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Small Ship, Big War Page: <<   < prev  68 69 [70] 71 72   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI