Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Small Ship, Big War

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Small Ship, Big War Page: <<   < prev  69 70 [71] 72 73   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/31/2008 6:13:50 AM   
ChezDaJez

Excellent writing once again, CF. I could feel Shoji's resignation of his fate just before he was pulled into the boat.

I wonder if he will have anything to say to Okubo... espeically about handgrips and lifelines.

Excellent...

Chez

Ret Navy AWCS (1972-1998)
VP-5, Jacksonville, Fl 1973-78
ASW Ops Center, Rota, Spain 1978-81
VP-40, Mt View, Ca 1981-87
Patrol Wing 10, Mt View, CA 1987-90
ASW Ops Center, Adak, Ak 1990-92
NRD Seattle 1992-96
VP-46, Whidbey Isl, Wa 1996-98

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2101
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/31/2008 4:23:14 PM   
kaleun

Booker price candidate if I saw one.

Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu

(in reply to ChezDaJez)
Post #: 2102
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/31/2008 5:45:08 PM   
BrucePowers

I was never in the military, but don't they always use lifelines in heavy weather in real life?

(in reply to kaleun)
Post #: 2103
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/31/2008 7:15:06 PM   
ChezDaJez

quote:

ORIGINAL: BrucePowers

I was never in the military, but don't they always use lifelines in heavy weather in real life?

The prudent man does....

Chez

Ret Navy AWCS (1972-1998)
VP-5, Jacksonville, Fl 1973-78
ASW Ops Center, Rota, Spain 1978-81
VP-40, Mt View, Ca 1981-87
Patrol Wing 10, Mt View, CA 1987-90
ASW Ops Center, Adak, Ak 1990-92
NRD Seattle 1992-96
VP-46, Whidbey Isl, Wa 1996-98

(in reply to BrucePowers)
Post #: 2104
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/31/2008 7:25:51 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: BrucePowers

Hey, this is the JAPANESE navy...

(in reply to BrucePowers)
Post #: 2105
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/31/2008 10:42:23 PM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cuttlefish

October 12, 1943

Course: South
Attached to: TF 4
Mission: Air Combat
System Damage: 0
Float Damage: 0
Fires: 0
Fuel: 331

Orders: Protect evacuation convoy arriving from Kwajalein

---

Petty Officer Okubo utters a low and vile curse. He is by the aft deckhouse, looking back past the rear 5” turret. Hibiki is rolling in a quartering sea and waves coming in over the ship’s low freeboard have broken a depth charge free from its rack. The heavy depth charge is now rolling back and forth, smashing against stanchions, racks, and the aft y-gun as it does so.

Yet another gripping chapter of the Hibiki saga. And so well written, I'm going to ignore the point that the loose depth charge caused zero system damage. . .

quote:

He feels pain as something grips his hair. He wonders dimly if it could be a shark. Then someone is behind him, grabbing him under the arms and sending them both back to the surface with powerful kicks. He rises to the surface next to the ship’s boat. Hope fills him again and he tries to breath, but can’t. Hands reach out and he is both lifted and pulled into the pitching boat.

Do I detect the redoubtable CPO Shun at work again?

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2106
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/1/2008 1:13:24 AM   
Cuttlefish

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capt. Harlock

quote:

He feels pain as something grips his hair. He wonders dimly if it could be a shark. Then someone is behind him, grabbing him under the arms and sending them both back to the surface with powerful kicks. He rises to the surface next to the ship’s boat. Hope fills him again and he tries to breath, but can’t. Hands reach out and he is both lifted and pulled into the pitching boat.

Do I detect the redoubtable CPO Shun at work again?

Yes indeed. Though I never said so, that was Shun in the water with him. Readers with long memories might recall Shun mentioning to Taiki once that he used to swim with sea turtles during his youth in the Ryukyus. He is known to be the strongest swimmer on board.

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 2107
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/1/2008 1:13:34 AM   
Cuttlefish

October 13, 1943

Course: None
Fuel: 300

---

The Japanese carrier groups wait east of Noumea. As night falls six heavy cruisers and battleships Hiei, Haruna, and Kirishima enter the Havannah Passage. They thread their way west through the passage past small islands and reefs until they enter the waters around Noumea. There they turn north until they are off the forward American positions at Paita. It is not far from Noumea at all.

Float planes are launched. Soon American troops can hear them droning overhead in the darkness. Then flares ignite, bathing the landscape below in dazzling white light. There is a scattered cracking of rifle fire as Japanese snipers get off a few shots. On the American side veteran sergeants bark commands at their men to get under cover. They know what the flares mean.

A moment later all other sounds are drowned out by the rumble of incoming shells and the crash of explosions. The Japanese ships have their aim corrected by observers on shore and in the air. They adjust their aim, fire, and fire again. They have all the time they need.

To the soldiers enduring it the barrage is an endless period of noise and terror. In reality, however, it only goes on for a little over an hour. The Japanese ships then cease fire and depart to rejoin the rest of the fleet. On shore the Americans emerge from their fox holes and take stock. Actual casualties are fairly low. But supplies have been destroyed, communications severed, and the troops are shaken. There will be no American attack the following day.

The Japanese ships have purchased a delay of only twenty four hours. But the race between the advancing American divisions and the inbound Japanese transports looks as though it will be a close one. Twenty four hours may make a great deal of difference.

---

“Many pardons, Petty Officer Okubo, but may I speak with you?” Okubo looks around. Standing behind him on the torpedo deck is Seaman Shoji, who looks considerably better than he did when Shun, Ensign Izu, and a couple of other sailors helped him back aboard the destroyer yesterday.

“Go ahead,” he growls.

“Yesterday, when the first wave hit, you tried to save me,” says Shoji. “Only your grip kept me from going over the side right then. You would have succeeded if the second wave hadn’t torn me from your grasp. It was a brave thing to do, and I will remember it.” He bows towards the petty officer.

“It was nothing, forget it,” mumbles Okubo. “Anyone would have done the same. Now return to your duties.”

“Yes, Petty Officer,” says Shoji. He turns and leaves.

Idiot, thinks Okubo as he watches him go. You weren’t torn from my grip, I let go of you. To save myself.

But he is the only one who knows that, and no doubt Shoji will spread the tale of how brave Okubo tried to save him. This is good.

Still, something about Shoji’s visit just now bothers him. Irritably he shakes it off. It was the only choice I had, he tells himself. If I had tried to hang on we both might have ended up in the water. Besides, it all worked out.

Any reasonable person would agree, he thinks. There hadn’t been any other choice.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2108
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/1/2008 1:21:37 AM   
Lecivius

F5 for teh win!

I'm thinking I see enlightenment in Okubo's near future, however.  This will be obvious to Shun.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2109
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/1/2008 1:35:38 AM   
kfmiller41

why in the world dont you write a BOOK

You have the ability to arouse various emotions in me: please select carefully.

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 2110
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/1/2008 1:41:32 AM   
Fishbed

Ho man!
We absolutely need to ship that book with the next installment of WitP! You'll hardly find any better homage to the game than Cuttlefish's masterpiece...

(in reply to kfmiller41)
Post #: 2111
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/1/2008 1:48:02 AM   
kaleun

He is writing it, actually!

Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu

(in reply to Fishbed)
Post #: 2112
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/1/2008 3:31:32 AM   
Feinder

It's an analogy that probably has no relation whatsoever, except that it somehow seems fitting to share here.

During strikes of Japan with the combined Allied TF-38, late July, the British Pacific Fleet was on the extreme left of the huge armada luanching strikes and bombarding Japan (and under stipuation of their participation, were under the direct control of Halsey and Nimitz).  The whole force was only about 100 miles off the coast.  As the strikes went in, a large fog-bank began to form in the vicinity of the armada, and the wind changed and was now blowing from from the north.

Given that :
a.  If the armada got trapped in the fog-bank, landing the strikes would be extremely hazardous, not only for the planes
not able to spot the CVs, but also the jeopardizing the maneuvering of the CVs during the landing operations.
b.  Many of the CVs would have to turn into the wind to recover their aircraft, bringing them *ever closer* to Japan.
c.  While TF-58 had not yet been spotted (suprisingly enough, and would never happen in WitP), the fog, and moving closer to Japan, and Kamikazis if spotted and combat maneuvering complicating things even worse,

Halsey decided to recall the strikes and cancel those for the rest of day.

However, the days strikes included a squardon of Seafires from the HMS Indefatigible, they were a flight of 12 "Ramrods", essentially fighter-sweeps in WitP terms.  The Seafire was notorius not only for it's high rate of operational losses (plane was too fragile for carrier ops by comparison), but for it's short range.  This group of Seafires for reasons un-explained were late to the return rendesvous point, and behind schedule when the rest of the strikes were landing.  They were able to make contact with them, but they were about 20 minutes behind the rest of the formations, low on gas, and would need time to land.

Halsey sent to Admiral Rawlings (RN CV commander) to leave them; they'd have to ditch and they're try to get subs or Dumbos (PBYs) to pick them up.  Given the threat to the entire fleet over 12 planes/pilots and his responsability as the fleet admiral, his descions would certainly be deemed justified (and any other as reckless).  Halsey actually got on very well with the RN, with much mutual respect.  The implication was that he made gave the order to leave them because that was the correct thing to do, and would have done so if they were American aircraft as well.

The life expectancy of the Seafires was pretty close to nil.  If they landed anywhere near the coast, the pilots would likely be killed if captured (very few downed PoW pilots were spared).  Or if they made it out to sea, the oncoming fog would make it nearly impossible to find them in seas already rough.

However, in would a fitting Hollywood ending, Adm Rawlings commanding TF-38.5 (BPF) never acknowledged the message, and while the rest of the armada turned south, TF-38.5 (Indy, KGV, 2x CLs, and 8x DDs) turned north into the wind to recover the last flight of Seafires.  During the course of the half-hour it took to intercept and land the 12 fighters, the British ships approached with 40 miles of the Japanese coast, and three bogies were picked up on radar but appearently did not see the RN ships (given the point of retrieving aircraft before getting stuck in the fog, Indy was without CAP).

The entire episode managed without event (it would likely have been disastrous if there was one).  For his efforts, Adm Rawlings earned himself a scathing letter from Nimitz and Halsey copied at every level of command for both the USN and RN; and the eternal gratitude of 12 pilots.

Whatever.  Was a interesting story.  THought I'd share.
-F-

< Message edited by Feinder -- 2/1/2008 3:33:42 AM >

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

(in reply to kaleun)
Post #: 2113
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/1/2008 1:26:44 PM   
Terminus

Very cool story.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 2114
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/1/2008 2:09:47 PM   
Speedysteve

Just catching with the past 8 pages CF. As per norm outstanding. Well done and keep it up

WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 2115
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/1/2008 10:19:12 PM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

If I had tried to hang on we both might have ended up in the water. Besides, it all worked out.

Any reasonable person would agree, he thinks. There hadn’t been any other choice.

There had been another choice, of course. And yet . . . if both men had gone overboard, it's unlikely any cries for help would have been heard.

Of course, the best choice of all would have been to use lifelines as Shoji suggested!

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2116
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/2/2008 3:39:43 AM   
Cuttlefish

quote:

ORIGINAL: Feinder

It's an analogy that probably has no relation whatsoever, except that it somehow seems fitting to share here.

I think it does relate. Thanks for sharing this.

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 2117
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/2/2008 3:39:51 AM   
Cuttlefish

October 14, 1943

Course: Northeast
Fuel: 254

---

The recent westerly winds give way to more typical south-easterly trade winds as the Japanese ships head back north. On the bridge Captain Ishii peers at the glass. He nods in satisfaction as he sees it is continuing to rise.

“Sir!” says a brisk voice from behind him. He turns to see Midshipman Konada. His uniform and appearance are, as always, letter-perfect. Konada tucks a clipboard smartly under his arm and snaps a salute.

“Yes, Konada?” Ishii says.

Konada holds out the clipboard. “Sir, Lieutenant Sakati sends these reports with his compliments.” The captain takes the clipboard.

“Thank you,” he says. He flips through the papers. Konada remains at attention. After a moment Ishii looks up.

“Is there anything else, Konada?” he asks.

“Yes, sir,” says Konada. “Sir, I have been going over our damage control procedures. I have some ideas how we can improve our response times.”

“I see,” says Ishii. “That sounds very useful.” Lieutenant Miharu comes onto the bridge. Ishii gives his executive officer a nod, then turns back to Konada. “At the moment, however, I am going to go have some dinner and get some rest. I suggest you do the same. Perhaps we can go over your ideas tomorrow.”

“Thank you, sir,” says Konada. “I am going to stay up here for a while. Lieutenant Miharu has agreed to give me some extra instruction in navigation.” Miharu, now standing nearby, nods acknowledgement.

“Very good,” says Ishii. Lieutenant Miharu steps forward and the two of them go through the brief change of command ritual. Ishii gives the lieutenant a quick status report and then leaves the bridge.

As he departs he wonders if he was ever as young and enthusiastic as Konada. He thinks back to the young midshipman he once was and decides the answer is probably yes. He might have even been worse. He smiles slightly to himself at the memory.

He thinks Konada has potential, but he won’t really know until he has seen him in battle. When no book of rules and regulations can stand between you and death, that’s when the spit and polish gets stripped away and the illusions are shattered. That’s when he will find out what kind of officer Konada might someday be.

Ishii has a feeling it may not be too long before he gets that chance.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2118
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/2/2008 7:23:17 AM   
kfmiller41

in a funny aside to this thread, in my game the battleship Kongo got the snot beat out of it in a gunbattle with the Prince of Whales. The Destroyer detailed to try and get this wrecked ship safely to Japan from Kuching is no other than Hibiki And now I sure hope she makes it.

< Message edited by miller41 -- 2/2/2008 5:33:01 PM >

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2119
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/2/2008 5:22:49 PM   
Onime No Kyo

I'm not sure Kabuki is a good name for a DD.

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to kfmiller41)
Post #: 2120
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/2/2008 5:29:30 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Feinder

From Forgotten Fleet, right Feinder?

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2121
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/2/2008 5:33:21 PM   
kfmiller41

teach me to post something at 4 in the morning without my glasses on

(in reply to Onime No Kyo)
Post #: 2122
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/3/2008 7:50:54 AM   
Feinder

quote:

From Forgotten Fleet, right Feinder?

Yup. It's funny, I'm almost disappointed to have finished it. Was a good book. I've got Toland sitting on the shelf. I guess he's next.

-F-

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

(in reply to Onime No Kyo)
Post #: 2123
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/3/2008 10:05:09 PM   
Cuttlefish

October 15, 1943

Fuel: 223

---

As evening approaches Taiki and his crew secure the forward 25mm AA gun. It has been another quiet day. The transports from Kwajalein are only a few days away now, and so far there is no sign of the enemy fleet.

Taiki dismisses the men, and they depart, most of them straight to mess. Shiro lingers behind. Taiki stretches, then grins at Shiro.

“Better hurry, Kuramata,” he says. “You don’t want all the food to be gone before you get there.”

“Yes, Petty Officer,” says Shiro. He knows he can call his friend by name now that they are off duty, but the habit of formal address is hard to break. He reaches into his pocket and pulls out a small object wrapped in paper. “But first I have something for you.” He hands it to Taiki, who looks at it curiously.

“What is this?” he asks. Without waiting for an answer he unwraps it. Within is a polished flat oval wood medallion carved in the silhouette of a woman’s face. Taiki recognizes Sayumi’s profile immediately. His breath catches for a second. He looks up at Shiro in wonder.

“This is…how did you..?” he stammers. Shiro smiles.

“Lots of time and a very small amount of talent,” he says. “I have sealed the wood, it should be waterproof.” Taiki stares at it for a moment, then lifts it by the cord threaded through the top and places it around his neck. He then tucks the medallion in under his tunic. It feels cold against his skin at first, but warms quickly.

“This is a fine gift,” he says quietly. “Too fine of a gift. You should not have gone to such time and effort for me.” Shiro knows Taiki well enough to know that Taiki is actually both moved and very pleased by his effort, but he goes along with the formula.

“Please,” he says. “It is just a small thing. I only wish my talents were more worthy of the subject matter.”

“You are an artist,” says Taiki. He touches his tunic above the medallion “I cannot thank you enough for this,” he says. “I think of her every day, and I have no photograph or picture of her. There wasn’t time. Now I have this. It may be months before we reach home again, but having this will help.”

“Good,” says Shiro. “Well, you aren’t wrong about getting to the food before it’s gone. With your permission, Petty Officer?”

“Get out of here,” says Taiki with a smile. “And thank you again.” Shiro departs the foredeck. Taiki watches him go. Though Hibiki is no closer to Japan than it was a short while ago somehow home doesn’t feel quite as far away as it did. It’s good to have friends, he thinks, then he too goes to find something to eat.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2124
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/3/2008 11:13:24 PM   
Capt. Harlock

Now I'm really going to be depressed if Hibiki ends up sinking . . . or even taking significant casualties.

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2125
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/4/2008 5:28:32 AM   
Feinder

quote:

“I have sealed the wood, it should be waterproof.”

Let's just hope it doesn't have to prove it's waterproof-ness...!

-F-

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 2126
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/4/2008 5:51:21 AM   
Knavey

Hey Bro,

I want to read Forgotten Fleet.  Sounds like a good read.  Next time we get together don't forget (I will!) so give it to Mom if she is over at your place and have her drop it off at mine.

Dave

And now back to your regularly scheduled programming

x-Nuc twidget
CVN-71
USN 87-93
"Going slow in the fast direction"

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 2127
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/4/2008 6:04:47 AM   
Feinder

Book - Ok.

I might stop by to see the B-17 and B-25 at Vandy during lunch oTuesday...

-F-

(in reply to Knavey)
Post #: 2128
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/5/2008 12:49:50 AM   
Cuttlefish

October 16, 1943

Fuel: 191

---

Taiki and Senior Petty Officer Aikawa find Shun in the wardroom. They take seats at either side of the small table where he is reading a magazine and wait. After a moment Shun lowers the magazine with a sigh and glares at the two men.

“All right, what is it?” he growls.

“What about the Green Gang, Chief?” Aikawa asks. Taiki has filled him in on what little he has learned.

Shun grunts. “So you two figured that out, did you?” he says. “Yeah, they’re why I ended up in the Navy. Best thing that could have happened to me. I was young and stupid and in more trouble than I could handle.”

“Than you could handle, Chief?” says Taiki. He finds it hard to believe there is anything Shun could not handle.

Shun fixes him with a baleful eye. “Oh yes,” he says. “That’s one of the things the Navy taught me. One man alone is nothing. Men working together are a far greater force.”

“So what happened?” asks Aikawa.

“It was a long time ago,” says Shun. “No one cares about what happened any more.” The two other petty officers glance at each other, then look steadily at Shun. The stocky, ugly chief puts up with it for a moment, then rolls his eyes.

“Fine,” he growls. “If it will get the two of you to leave me alone I’ll tell you what happened.” And he proceeds to relate the tale.

---

Shanghai, 1920:

In an era noted for self-indulgence and excess there is no greater pit of sin and depravity anywhere in the world than Shanghai in 1920. With its national enclaves and lax government it is the world center of any number of illegal activities, including and most especially the opium trade.

A young wanderer who has recently come into some money, Shun has ended up in Shanghai along with the fortune seekers, flotsam, and scum of scores of other countries. At the moment he is seated at a card table in a large and glitzy gambling house, working on increasing his small fortune.

And he is meeting with some success. Four of the other five people at the table are playing badly, almost as if they are trying not to be too successful. These include two Chinamen, a Frenchman, and a Polish nobleman, all of them Shanghai veterans. The fifth man, a well-dressed young Chinese gentleman, is obviously playing to win but playing badly. Shun gets the feeling that he is not used to having to think too hard about his cards.

This is a situation which might set off a faint warning bell for someone more cautious or more experienced. Shun, however, has never met a situation he could not master and gives it little thought. As he rakes in one large pot the young Chinaman looks indignantly across the table at him.

“You must be cheating!” he says.

Shun grins lazily at him. “The way you play, I don’t need to,” he says. “Your deal.”

“No!” responds the other. “I say you must be cheating. Stand and let us search you!”

Shun's grin vanishes and he fixes the other with a flat stare. “You have now said twice that I am cheating,” he says. “If I were you, I would not repeat that lie a third time.” The Chinaman is slender. He has slicked-back hair and is wearing an impeccably tailored brown suit. Right now his habitually insolent expression is being replaced by one of anger.

And now it is his judgment that is faulty. It is apparent to even a casual student of human nature that there is something dangerous about Shun. Even in repose he gives an impression of coiled power. At the moment, leaning forward and intent, it is also apparent that there is something wild and fierce within him, something that is barely held in check. The men sitting to either side of him can feel it radiating from him like heat, and they lean unconsciously away.

The Polish count attempts to defuse the situation. “Come now,” he says in excellent Chinese, “there is no need for any unpleasantness. I am sure that Mr. Liangyu is simply speaking from frustration. Why don’t we order another round of drinks and get back to the game, eh?” But Liangyu will have none of it. His nostrils flare as he stares at Shun.

“Cheater!” he almost spits. Before anyone else can move Shun is over the table at him. Chairs topple and drinks and chips scatter. Shun delivers a brutal backhand to Liangyu that jolts him two steps back, then grabs him by the suit lapels and shoves him backwards. Liangyu backpedals helplessly and hits a wall between two nearby tables with a crash. A woman at one of the tables shrieks and men leap to their feet.

Shun follows with great speed. A second later Liangyu is pinned to the wall by a hand around his throat. He gropes into one pocket and comes out with a small revolver, but Shun simply reaches out with his free hand and twists the gun out of his grasp, allowing it to fall to the carpeted floor.

Nothing Liangyu can do makes the slightest difference to that iron grip. Back at the vacated table the other two Chinamen start forward, but halt as Shun detects the movement and glares at them. Elsewhere in the gambling house all conversation has stopped. Well-dressed men and women stand or sit transfixed, looking silently on.

The gambling house has a nautical theme. Mounted on the wall above Shun’s victim are a pair of harpoons, decoratively crossed. Shun reaches up and lifts one off the wall. A woman utters a faint scream, but Shun does not use the weapon in a conventional way. Instead he releases his grip on Liangyu’s throat and clips him hard across the jaw. Liangyu sags, dazed. Shun turns him around and places the weapon across the Chinaman’s neck. Then he seizes the harpoon by both ends, takes a deep breath, and tries to pull the ends towards each other.

For a moment nothing happens. The muscles in Shun’s neck, chest and arms bulge, and he quivers with the force he is exerting. Then, incredibly, the harpoon begins to bend. The iron groans as it is forced into a circle. There are several gasps, and from a nearby table a man utters a low oath in disbelief. Once the harpoon starts to bend it goes quickly, and in seconds Shun has it completely wrapped around Liangyu’s neck.

Shun releases him. It is a tight fit, and Liangyu’s breaths begin coming hoarse and raw. His eyes bulge and he raises his hands to the encircling harpoon, but he can do nothing. Shun contemplates his handiwork for a moment. The pointed end of the harpoon is sticking out a couple of feet, and Shun seizes the encircling iron and then turns Liangyu so that the point is towards the wall. He then propels man and harpoon both in that direction. The points crashes though the wallpaper and plaster into the wooden lathes beneath, pinning Liangyu securely to the wall. There he chokes and thrashes helplessly.

Shun turns back towards the room. There is a ferocious and gleeful light in his eyes, but with perfect calm he walks back to his table. He collects his chips and walks over to the cashier, all of this still in almost utter silence except for Liangyu’s frantic wheezing.

As Shun cashes in his winnings the other two Chinese from his table rush forward and try to help Liangyu. They can do nothing. Others come forward to help. In the end it takes four men to free Liangyu from the harpoon. When they finally succeed he collapses to his hands and knees and then he vomits onto the rich cream-colored carpet.

Shun has paid no attention to any of this. He collects his money and starts calmly for the door. Two bouncers start belatedly forward as if to stop him, but then they think better of it and step back to allow him to pass. Shun steps through the door and out onto the brightly-lit street. Once outside he takes a deep breath, grins cheerfully to himself, and saunters away into the night.

To be continued

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2129
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/5/2008 2:05:48 AM   
1EyedJacks

To be continued... To be continued? To be continued!!!?

I hate to be continueds!

Gawd - U so have me hook-line-and-sinker on this AAR...

TTFN,

Mike

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2130
Page:   <<   < prev  69 70 [71] 72 73   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Small Ship, Big War Page: <<   < prev  69 70 [71] 72 73   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI