Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Small Ship, Big War

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Small Ship, Big War Page: <<   < prev  70 71 [72] 73 74   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/5/2008 2:40:09 PM   
Durbik

quote:

Polish count

That would probably be Gustaw Breza (1880-1945) - a maltese chevalier, an adventurer, up-to-no-good, heartbreaker, villain etc :D He was travelling Asia these days, as he was disinherited by his father due to... things that count shouldn't do :E

obey the fist!

(in reply to 1EyedJacks)
Post #: 2131
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/5/2008 2:51:11 PM   
Terminus

<checking his desk> Yup, my superlatives drawer is still all empty...

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to 1EyedJacks)
Post #: 2132
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/5/2008 7:56:29 PM   
histgamer

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 2133
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/5/2008 9:07:10 PM   
Cuttlefish

Shanghai, 1920, one week later:

Shun crouches in a pool of shadow at the end of row of crates stacked beneath a long, shed-like roof along a Shanghai wharf. His breath is coming in ragged gasps. His shirt is cut neatly across his left bicep, and the edges of the cut are stiff with dried blood.

A rat eyes the young Japanese man curiously from atop a nearby crate, but then it turns and vanishes as the sound of angry voices comes from somewhere nearby, growing louder. The pursuit is closing in again.

Shun hears it too, and narrows his eyes. For the one hundredth time he berates himself for his stupidity. He knew too little, and now that ignorance is about to kill him. Even his strength is reaching its limits, and he does not think he can get away from them again.

“They” are the Green Gang. Shanghai is controlled and virtually ruled by its criminal organizations, and all of these are controlled by the Green Gang. Their leader is Du Yuesheng, “Big Ears” Du, and he is the master of this city. The police are firmly in his pocket and rival gangs pay him fealty.

Liangyu, the young bravo who Shun had beaten a week ago, is the eldest son of one of Du’s chief lieutenants. Right now Liangyu is still suffering from a partially crushed larynx. He will eventually recover, though his voice will remain an unpleasant rasp for the rest of his life. The injury and indignity suffered by Liangyu is not something the triad can ignore. The Green Gang’s killers have been seeking Shun for seven days and nights. They have caught him twice, and twice he has escaped, the second time after killing two of them. But now they are closing in, and Shun is out of tricks and out of places to hide.

He has tried the Japanese embassy, but Du’s reach extends through their walls. He has twice tried slipping aboard a departing ship, but has been thwarted both times. Every exit from the city is watched.

Shun slips away from the crates and farther down the waterfront. He keeps to the deepest shadows as much as possible and concentrates on moving silently. He has to get away from this area somehow. His pursuers know he is along this section of waterfront and they are tightening the circle around him.

Ahead he hears more voices, but these are not the sounds of killers signaling one another. These are laughing voices speaking Japanese. Shun creeps forward and sees a group of six sailors in Imperial Japanese Navy uniforms coming down an adjacent street. Judging by the laughing and singing they are returning from a night ashore. On impulse Shun follows them.

They walk for several blocks and then turn down towards the docks. Shun finds some cover next to a dark and silent shop and looks around. Ahead he spies brightly-lit wharf. Tied up to it is a warship. Shun does not know what ship it is, but he can see a Japanese flag illuminated at its stern. Armed sailors patrol the wharf next to the ship. The sailors Shun has been following troop down the wharf and go aboard.

Behind Shun there is a cry. He has been spotted. He curses, knowing that someone clever among his hunters must have guessed he would follow the sailors. He gathers what energy he has left and plunges forward. He reaches the wharf ahead and runs down it with pounding footsteps.

Ahead Japanese sailors see him coming and unsling their rifles. A petty officer, sidearm still in its holster, steps forward to intercept him. Shun thunders up to him and stops, breathing hard.

“Who the hell are you?” the petty officer asks.

“My name…is Shun…” Shun gasps. Inspiration strikes him. “I wish to…enlist…in the Imperial Japanese Navy.” The petty officer looks past him. There are figures skulking at the edge of the darkness, and here and there he can see a glint of light on metal. He snaps an order and half a dozen armed men come forward, rifles at the ready.

He then turns his attention back to Shun. Ragged, worn, and dirty though he is, there is still something indomitable about him. He is obviously in a bad place, and if he is turned away now the petty officer has no doubt that he is looking at a dead man. Yet Shun stands there calmly as he gets his breath back. He might be waiting for a cab rather than waiting to see whether he will live or die. The petty officer reaches a quick decision. It is all highly irregular, but he cannot condemn a man like this to death.

“Welcome to the Navy,” he says, “and to the light cruiser Hirado. Kikuchi! See this man aboard ship. Take him to Lieutenant Kato and introduce him as our newest recruit. The Lieutenant can take it from there. Ask him to send for me if he has any questions.”

“Yes, Petty Officer,” says one of the soldiers. “Come on, you,” he says to Shun. Shun follows him down the wharf and up the gangway.

---

“Been in ever since,” says Shun to Taiki and Aikawa.

“What about that Du fellow?” asks Aikawa. “What ever happened to him?”

Shun shrugs. “He’s still around. He ran that city for something like twenty years. I don’t know where he is now that we control the place, but he and Chiang Kai-shek were pretty tight. The story is that Du got into favor with him by having his men kill five thousand Communist protesters. Shows you what kind of man he is, and what kind of power he’s got.”

“Do you think he’s still after you?” asks Taiki.

“No,” says Shun. “I wasn’t that big a fish, and it was a long time ago. I’ll tell you this, though. I have never taken shore leave in Shanghai. Every time a ship I was on called there I stayed on board.”

He stands and stretches. A few joints pop. “That’s enough yakking for one night,” he says. “I’m turning in.” Both Taiki and Aikawa wish him good night. They sit silently for a time after Shun departs, their thoughts on a time and place both now far away.

---

“Big Ears” Du

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2134
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/5/2008 9:09:46 PM   
Cuttlefish

quote:

ORIGINAL: Durbik

quote:

Polish count

That would probably be Gustaw Breza (1880-1945) - a maltese chevalier, an adventurer, up-to-no-good, heartbreaker, villain etc :D He was travelling Asia these days, as he was disinherited by his father due to... things that count shouldn't do :E

As this is exactly the kind of person I had in mind when I wrote about him, I think you are probably right.

(in reply to Durbik)
Post #: 2135
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/5/2008 10:08:07 PM   
Terminus

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2136
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/5/2008 10:27:42 PM   
mdiehl

This is great Cuttlefish! Looking better and better as a graphic novel, IMO. I mean it, this is as good a read as some pretty decent published novels (for ex Day by Day Armageddon). IMO you should copyright this stuff if you have not done it already.

< Message edited by mdiehl -- 2/5/2008 10:29:54 PM >

Show me a fellow who rejects statistical analysis a priori and I'll show you a fellow who has no knowledge of statistics.

Didn't we have this conversation already?

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 2137
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/5/2008 10:36:03 PM   
Capt. Harlock

Wow -- just WOW!!

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2138
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/6/2008 3:20:43 AM   
Feinder

Actually, there's an interesting question.  Does Matrix actually "own" it, since it's a part of their forums?  Just curious what the legality is.

-F-

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 2139
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/6/2008 3:29:45 AM   
farticus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Feinder

Actually, there's an interesting question. Does Matrix actually "own" it, since it's a part of their forums? Just curious what the legality is.

-F-

intellectual property ? cant touch dat !

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 2140
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/6/2008 3:30:54 AM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

quote:

From Forgotten Fleet, right Feinder?

Yup. It's funny, I'm almost disappointed to have finished it. Was a good book. I've got Toland sitting on the shelf. I guess he's next.

-F-

I still say that the "little yellow bastard" episode is one of the funniest war-related things I've ever read.

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 2141
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/6/2008 3:56:47 AM   
Terminus

quote:

Actually, there's an interesting question. Does Matrix actually "own" it, since it's a part of their forums? Just curious what the legality is.

-F-

This AAR is no more owned by Matrix than a piece of X-Files fan fiction is owned by Chris Carter.

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 2142
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/6/2008 4:11:06 AM   
Onime No Kyo

I sincerely hope that if CF ever wants to make a buck off this AAR he will be able to do so without interference. I will be right there in line for the book signing.

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 2143
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/6/2008 6:07:56 AM   
histgamer

That was absolutely mind blowing. 

(in reply to Onime No Kyo)
Post #: 2144
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/6/2008 9:53:37 PM   
Cuttlefish

October 17, 1943

Course: None
Attached to: TF 4
Mission: Air Combat
System Damage: 0
Float Damage: 0
Fires: 0
Fuel: 475

Orders: Protect evacuation convoy arriving from Kwajalein

---

Hibiki is cruising just astern of heavy cruiser Chokai. The two ships are close – less than thirty feet separate Chokai’s stern from Hibiki’s bow. Both ships are barely making six knots.

Two lines support a heavy black hose snaking back from the cruiser. Hibiki is taking on fuel oil from the hose. It is a long and nerve-wracking process. Not only do the two ships have to maintain a precise distance apart, but the slow speed makes them vulnerable to any submarines that happen along. Earlier that same morning an enemy submarine was spotted and attacked by destroyers from one of the other carrier groups only about twenty miles away. Depth charges were dropped, but the submarine is believed to have escaped.

Captain Ishii curbs his impatience as he keeps a careful eye on things from the bridge. Chokai’s pumps are doing their best, but they aren’t as powerful as the pumps carried by tankers and oilers. Fortunately the seas are fairly calm.

Finally the phone on the bridge buzzes. It is answered by Lieutenant JG Kuwaki. He listens for a moment, then says “Thank you, sir, I will inform the captain.” He replaces the phone and turns to Ishii. “Sir, Lieutenant Sakati reports that the tanks are full.”

“Excellent,” says Ishii. “Let Chokai know that they can stop pumping. Tell them to be ready to take in lines and hose at our signal.”

“Yes sir,” says Kuwaki. The end of the operation goes smoothly. The hose is detached from Hibiki and reeled back aboard Chokai without incident. The big cruiser picks up speed. As it pulls away it flashes a signal to Hibiki: “Well done”.

Ishii acknowledges the signal. Though he expects nothing less from his ship, it is always nice to have the crew’s professionalism recognized. As soon as Chokai has opened up some distance he gives the orders that send Hibiki back to her accustomed position on the screen.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2145
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/6/2008 9:56:02 PM   
Cuttlefish

October 18, 1943

Course: None
System Damage: 1
Fuel: 443

---

The transports from Kwajalein reach the north end of New Caledonia’s main island and begin to move south along the coast towards Noumea. They have arrived none too soon. The American attack during the day gains more than a mile of difficult, hilly terrain and leaves their forward positions less than four miles from the town itself. The Japanese continue to resist fiercely but most of their prepared defenses have been overrun and it is by no means certain they can stave off another major attack.

The Japanese carriers prepare to move south to cover the transports while they embark the embattled Japanese soldiers. The battleships and cruisers have replenished their ammunition and will pound American positions to help cover the operation.

While the American forces ashore are continuing their offensive there has been as yet no sign of interference from enemy surface forces. That may change, however. The enemy now has reconnaissance planes at La Foa and they are bound to spot the Japanese transports, if in fact they have not done so already. Whether the Japanese are bringing in reinforcements or evacuating their troops, the enemy may well risk battle to prevent the operation.

The fate of 20,000 Japanese troops hangs in the balance. No one can say with any certainty what the next few days will bring, either at sea or on the ground.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2146
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/6/2008 10:50:35 PM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

Maybe that hose from Chokai broke something as it was being hauled back?

Tension factor is high, as usual . . .

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2147
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/7/2008 2:18:10 AM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capt. Harlock

quote:

Maybe that hose from Chokai broke something as it was being hauled back?

Tension factor is high, as usual . . .

Scratched the paint on the railings. Sounds like someone needs to make another comment about Babe Ruth.

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 2148
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/8/2008 2:20:59 AM   
Cuttlefish

October 19, 1943

Course: West-southwest
Fuel: 407

---

“I hope they do try and stop us,” says Yoshitake. “Then we could crush them once and for all.” He is rigging his hammock for the evening. Oizuma, already in his hammock, looks over the side at him.

“I thought we did that already,” he said. “Didn’t we smash their carrier force at the Phoenix Islands, and then again at Timor?”

“Yes,” answers Yoshitake. “And now it’s time to finish the job!”

“I think they are scared of us now,” says Shoji. “They won’t come out to do battle now that they know our carriers are on the scene. Everyone knows the Americans are cowards.”

Riku speaks from his own hammock. “I don’t think the Americans are the cowards you suppose,” he says. A year ago he would have agreed with Shoji, but his opinion of Americans has changed since then. “They will fight us when they are ready.”

“And when will that be?” says Shoji. “They can’t have many ships left.”

Shiro, who is seated on the floor writing on a notepad, looks up. “I don’t think you’ve thought that through very well,” he says.

“What do you mean, Kuramata?” Shoji asks.

“We’ve all heard the rumors,” replies Shiro. “The enemy has four carriers out here, the enemy has six carriers, the enemy has eight carriers, whatever. Right?” Shoji nods. “Then think about this,” continues Shiro. “We sank just about every carrier they had left at Timor nine months ago. That means that all the ships out there, however many there are, have all been built since then.”

“I suppose so,” says Shoji.

“Well,” says Shiro. “I’m not very good at math, but that makes it sound to me like the Americans are launching a new aircraft carrier at least every other month or so.”

“That’s ridiculous,” comments Oizuma. “It’s impossible.” The others, except for Riku, agree.

Shiro shrugs. “I hope you are right,” he says.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2149
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/8/2008 2:22:26 AM   
Cuttlefish

October 20, 1943

Course: Holding position
Fuel: 375

---

Not long after midnight Japanese warships begin another ferocious bombardment of the American positions on New Caledonia. Under the cover of this barrage the first Japanese troops begin to silently pull out of their positions and move down to the docks at Noumea. There six large troop ships are waiting in the darkness.

Noncoms and officers keep men and equipment moving towards the docks all night. As morning nears the level of tension rises. If the Americans realize what is going on and launch an attack they might be able to break through the weakened Japanese lines and enter the town itself. The orderly evacuation could become a rout, and the transports themselves would be in danger.

But the Americans do not attack, either because they do not yet know what the Japanese or doing or because the bombardment, which continues at intervals throughout the day, has created too much disruption and chaos in their ranks. Whatever the reason, the Japanese soldiers count their blessings and continue to file aboard the ships.

Not every soldier departs. Three thousand troops will remain, every one of them a volunteer. They will do their best to create the illusion that 15,000 of their comrades have not in fact left the island. And when the illusion fails, or the Americans attack anyway, they will stand and die at their positions. Not one of them expects to live through the next few days.

As night falls again the evacuation is still going on. There simply isn’t enough dock space to allow all transports to load at once. The operation is halfway complete, but it is not yet a success.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2150
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/8/2008 7:11:12 AM   
histgamer

(to american industrial might)

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2151
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/9/2008 1:23:24 AM   
John 3rd

Well Done.

The story of Shun's past was excellent. Now WHO was that young Lt. that allowed him onto the ship? Was it our good Captain?

Also--Congrats on the successful retreat. That Inf Div will be used again!

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to histgamer)
Post #: 2152
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/9/2008 1:30:39 AM   
Cuttlefish

October 21, 1943

Fuel: 343

---

With Hibiki to port and another destroyer to starboard aircraft carrier Shokaku comes around to the southeast to recover a pair of A6M5 fighters coming back from patrol over the fleet. The wakes of the three warships form graceful curves across the ocean, which is grey and slightly choppy under skies mostly covered with clouds.

The wakes steady into straight lines as the first fighter begins its approach. In the forward 25mm AA tub Taiki watches the operation. He never tires of watching the aircraft carriers at work, and wonders what it would be like to be at the controls of the fighter.

From somewhere towards the rear of the ship a voice – Taiki thinks it is Ensign Izu – yells “Enemy aircraft three thousand meters astern, bearing starboard one hundred sixty degrees!” A scant few seconds later the rearmost AA guns aboard Shokaku begin to fire.

With the tower squarely behind them Taiki and his men cannot see what the carrier is shooting at. Taiki can, however, clearly see a man aboard the carrier frantically waving off the fighter, which suddenly boosts power. It clears the edge of the flight deck by twenty feet and banks away, climbing.

Hibiki vibrates as all of the aft 25mm batteries begin to fire. Shokaku begins to turn to port, very slowly at first, and Hibiki smoothly matches the maneuver. Taiki looks left and right, trying to figure out what is going on. Shokaku’s entire aft port anti-aircraft gallery is now firing and Taiki watches their fire to try and figure out the enemy plane’s course and position. A lookout above them turns and yells something down to them. Taiki can't hear what the lookout is saying, but the arc described by his pointing arm is perfectly plain.

“Gun twenty degrees starboard,” he orders. “Maximum elevation. Prepare to fire.” The crew waits tensely, hoping for a shot at whatever is out there.

Suddenly the roar of engines is audible even over the sound of firing and a big chunky enemy four-engine flying boat appears about one thousand meters overhead. It has already been hit and is trailing smoke from its belly and its outer starboard engine. Taiki’s gun opens fire, joining the guns along Shokaku’s port side in trying to bring down the plane.

And bring it down they do. As the flying boat pulls ahead of the turning ships and tries to gain altitude it is hit again in the starboard wing. A large piece of the wing comes off and the big plane abruptly rolls over and plummets towards the ocean. There is a cheer from the destroyer as it hits the water. Taiki joins in the cheer. Later on he will wonder how many men such a plane carries, but at this moment it is an enemy and a target and he is happy it has been destroyed.

---

The downed plane dropped a bomb which landed well astern of Shokaku. Later that same afternoon a similar plane comes out of some clouds right on top of light carrier Zuiho and launches a more successful attack, putting a bomb into the ocean less than thirty feet from its target. The carrier is rattled and there is minor damage. This flying boat gets away.

The enemy is not quite done for the day, either. Towards evening a submarine hits Mogami with a torpedo, forcing the heavy cruiser to return to Kwajalein for repairs. None of this interferes with the evacuation, however, which continues throughout the day.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2153
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/9/2008 1:37:49 PM   
tocaff

So it's safe to assume that the Allies now have a pretty fair idea of what's in the area and maybe even why.  

Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2154
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/9/2008 2:22:28 PM   
Terminus

Not necessarily. They might think it's a Guadalcanal-style reinforcement operation.

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 2155
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/10/2008 4:39:29 AM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Not necessarily. They might think it's a Guadalcanal-style reinforcement operation.

American Intel should soon give a before-and-after estimate of the IJA troops on New Caledonia. I think Wolffpack -- ahem, CINPAC -- will quickly catch on.

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 2156
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/11/2008 12:47:24 AM   
Cuttlefish

quote:

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

Well Done.

The story of Shun's past was excellent. Now WHO was that young Lt. that allowed him onto the ship? Was it our good Captain?

Also--Congrats on the successful retreat. That Inf Div will be used again!

No, it wasn't Ishii. At this point Ishii is a midshipman, having only recently passed the difficult tests to enter the Naval Academy. The two have met before, but they will not meet again for about two years.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 2157
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/11/2008 12:47:35 AM   
Cuttlefish

October 22, 1943

Fuel: 313

Orders: Protect evacuation convoy departing from Noumea

---

“Sir, the radio room reports that the transports are all safely away from Noumea,” Lieutenant Miharu tells his captain. “What happens next?”

“They will rendezvous with us and then we will head north,” Ishii tells him. “Once safely in away from here they will go their way and we will return to Kwajalein. The poor devils left behind…” He does not continue the sentence. Both men know what awaits the men still on New Caledonia.

“Where is the 4th Division being sent?” asks the lieutenant.

Ishii shrugs. “I don’t know,” he says. “My briefing didn’t include that, as it was not important for our part of the mission.”

“Well, good luck to them wherever they are headed,” says Miharu.

Captain Ishii agrees and shifts the conversation to other topics. In fact he does know where the troops are going. He dislikes keeping information from his executive officer and does not often do so, frequently in contradiction to the wishes of his superiors. But he thinks that the truth in this case might be bad for morale. Certainly knowing the truth has given him much cause for thought.

The troops are going to the Caroline Islands. This is secure territory, so secure that it is hard to see why a crack division would be sent there. The fact that Japan’s military leaders deem this move necessary tells Ishii more than he wants to know. He worries that the wildest stories he has heard about the enemy’s growing military power might be true. If so, the weeks and months ahead could be desperate ones.

Perhaps he is wrong. He hopes so. Only the future will tell.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2158
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/11/2008 4:18:19 PM   
Sammer

Had some spare time so decided to do some 2d editing *cough*"fanart"*cough*.

Be warned, 350k 1024x768 (zoom in!) JPEG file.

http://img26.picoodle.com/img/img26/4/2/11/f_hibikim_ce1e004.jpg

Some notes:

1) Image is a somewhat heavily edited screenshot from the WW2 Naval MMO Navy Field of a Fubuki Class DD.

2) Image shows Hibiki "docked" at Pescadores on December 4, 1941; as stated on page 1 of this AAR :)

3) I realise Cuttlefish stated a standard displacement of 1800t, but I decided to go with 2260t as full displacement.

4) MP stands for "Motion Potion" (or Movement Points, whatever floats your boat). 475t max fuel capacity.

5) Sokutekiban is a uniquely Japanese contraption used in conjuction (or as part of) the FC director.

6) Speed 15 (Cruising) / 34 (Max) is reflective of WITP Akatsuki Class 12/41 stats.

7) Armament in right hand corner corresponds to WITP Akatsuki Class 12/41 stats. "D" stands for double gun turret, "S" stands for single mount, "T" stands for twin mount. Yellow text is from the original game, although I really should change them to turret facing as per WITP game data...

8) Katakana on the DD's side reads: "Hibiki", right to left reading order.

9) Kanji on upper right hand corner reads: "Hibiki".

Feel free to correct me if I've made any mistakes :p

-Sammer

PS

Keep up the great work on the AAR Cuttlefish!

< Message edited by Sammer -- 2/11/2008 4:56:46 PM >

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2159
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/12/2008 2:53:12 AM   
Cuttlefish

This looks good, Sammer! Thanks for taking the time and trouble – I think I may use this as my desktop background for a bit. I don’t have any corrections offhand. It’s hard to go wrong using a Fubuki class as a model. The Akatsuki class ships were based on this design and are nearly identical, the only real difference being that they are a little shorter. I suspect this was to help correct some of the stability issues the Fubukis encountered.

(in reply to Sammer)
Post #: 2160
Page:   <<   < prev  70 71 [72] 73 74   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Small Ship, Big War Page: <<   < prev  70 71 [72] 73 74   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI