Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Newbie Question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Newbie Question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Newbie Question - 2/16/2008 12:28:35 AM   
DW

I just started playing this game, and mostly I've been able to figure it out.

But, it seems I've run into a problem that I can't find a solution to.

I've new fighter squadrons arriving to the airfield at Portland base.

I'd like to transfer them to another base, with a port, so I can ship them to the front.

However, the transfer option is not available.

I've noticed that Portland has no fuel and I'm guessing that's why I can't transfer the aircraft. They've empty fuel tanks.

But, because Portland is inland, I can't ship fuel to Portland using a tanker or by using an automatic convoy.

I tried using C-47s to fly some in, but they only carry supplies.

How can I get fuel to Portland?

Thanks.

Post #: 1
RE: Newbie Question - 2/16/2008 12:33:45 AM   
Mike Solli

Welcome to the forum, DW!

Actually, planes use supply for fuel.  Only ships use fuel for fuel.  That's not your problem.  The problem is that air unit is attached to a restricted HQ.  You need to click on that HQ (upper left of the screen) and use PPs to change it to a different HQ.  Once you do that, you'll be able to move the air unit out of the US. 

Are you trying to transfer the unit to a base in the US?  If so, you should be able to do it.  But you'll still need to change the HQ in order to load it on a ship.

Created by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to DW)
Post #: 2
RE: Newbie Question - 2/16/2008 1:11:43 AM   
DW

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

Actually, planes use supply for fuel. Only ships use fuel for fuel. That's not your problem. The problem is that air unit is attached to a restricted HQ. You need to click on that HQ (upper left of the screen) and use PPs to change it to a different HQ. Once you do that, you'll be able to move the air unit out of the US.

Are you trying to transfer the unit to a base in the US? If so, you should be able to do it. But you'll still need to change the HQ in order to load it on a ship.

Thanks for you quick response.

Ok...

I've tried what you suggested.

Both squadrons were attached to West Coast HQ.

I tried transferring them to South Pacific HQ, Central Pacific HQ and Southwest Pacific HQ.

I even tried letting the game cycle through a turn after I changed the HQ.

Nothing worked.

The transfer to base option is still unavailable, as are the transfer to ship, disband group and withdrawal options.

Upgrade is, however, an available option.

I thought of trying to change the HQ of Portland base, but that's not allowed.

Any other suggestions?

Cuz, I just had another squadron of fighters arrive when I was testing your suggestion, and I can't move them either. If it goes on like this the entire game I'm going to have a lot of fighters unavailable.

Thanks.

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 3
RE: Newbie Question - 2/16/2008 1:49:44 AM   
Lecivius

My thought is to check to see if they are Computer Controlled.  You need to change them to Human controlled to relocate units.

(in reply to DW)
Post #: 4
RE: Newbie Question - 2/16/2008 3:18:15 AM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: DW

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

Actually, planes use supply for fuel. Only ships use fuel for fuel. That's not your problem. The problem is that air unit is attached to a restricted HQ. You need to click on that HQ (upper left of the screen) and use PPs to change it to a different HQ. Once you do that, you'll be able to move the air unit out of the US.

Are you trying to transfer the unit to a base in the US? If so, you should be able to do it. But you'll still need to change the HQ in order to load it on a ship.

Thanks for you quick response.

Ok...

I've tried what you suggested.

Both squadrons were attached to West Coast HQ.

I tried transferring them to South Pacific HQ, Central Pacific HQ and Southwest Pacific HQ.

I even tried letting the game cycle through a turn after I changed the HQ.

Nothing worked.

The transfer to base option is still unavailable, as are the transfer to ship, disband group and withdrawal options.

Upgrade is, however, an available option.

I thought of trying to change the HQ of Portland base, but that's not allowed.

Any other suggestions?

Cuz, I just had another squadron of fighters arrive when I was testing your suggestion, and I can't move them either. If it goes on like this the entire game I'm going to have a lot of fighters unavailable.

Thanks.

Did you have enough Political Points (PPs) to transfer them? At the beginning of the game (in stock), PPs are very limited, and you might not be able to transfer them for a few turns.

(in reply to DW)
Post #: 5
RE: Newbie Question - 2/16/2008 5:13:35 AM   
pompack

DW:

Could you post a screenshot of the screen where

"However, the transfer option is not available."

That way we can see the data for the unit and possibly provide you with a better answer

(in reply to DW)
Post #: 6
RE: Newbie Question - 2/16/2008 6:26:18 AM   
AcePylut

I think I might have an idea..

YOu change the HQ, and that's good...

But a P40 doesn't have the range to "fly" to Pearl Harbor, so if you click on "transfer to base", you can't fly to PH.

The "transfer to ship", in the air group screen, is to transfer to an aircraft carrier.

If you want to transfer the planes to PH by boat... first off, you can only transfer them on AK's, not AP's. To "load" them onto AK's, you create a transport TF, then go to the TF screen and click "load troops", on the screen that pops up, you select the air group(s) you want to transfer... you don't "load" them onto AK's by using the "transfer to ship" button in the air group screen.

And oh yeah, the transport tf has to be in the same base as the airgroup... so you can't use AK's in SanFran to "load" airplanes based in base "USA".

< Message edited by AcePylut -- 2/16/2008 6:27:46 AM >

(in reply to pompack)
Post #: 7
RE: Newbie Question - 2/16/2008 11:04:42 AM   
DW

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

My thought is to check to see if they are Computer Controlled. You need to change them to Human controlled to relocate units.

BINGO!!!

That was it.

I hadn't noticed the computer-human control option in the lower left corner.

Thanks a lot to everyone who helped.

I'm sure I'll be back to raid your knowledge in the future.

Again, thanks.

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Newbie Question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI