Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 1/14/2008 7:31:53 PM   
BigBadWolf

I have asked in the wish list, might as well try here also 

Is there any chance of adding zoom feature to the map?

(in reply to herwin)
Post #: 271
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 1/14/2008 8:29:26 PM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: treespider

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

I think that covers it except for one point/question.

If an invasion over the beach goes badly, the force should be able to attempt to embark over the beach for an evacuation, although it might be pretty bloody. Is this allowed?

Good question. Right now you have to wait for the next turn and manually load them back into the APs. And if only half unloaded in the first place, it dumps the second half on the beach anyway.

One would think that if the odds against are at or above a certain level, the Invasion would be repulsed, the unit would evacute with great loss of men and material, and the amphibious task force would withdraw home.

Can you guys name where that happened historically?

Closest I can think of is Dieppe....how many got out?

Milne Bay. From Aug 25, 1942 - Sep. 5 1942. Japanese were forced to evactuate and withdraw, first time it had happened in the war. Roughly half of the landed personel successfully evacuated.

So it necessarily wouldn't be a 1 turn ordeal, but so long as the landing craft are at the base, it is at least historically plausible.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to treespider)
Post #: 272
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 1/14/2008 8:33:23 PM   
Captain Cruft

Those ZOC rules sound like a vast improvement!

Now I just wonder about the LCU movement pathing ... ;)

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 273
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 1/18/2008 11:31:34 AM   
m10bob

Is there anyway to better represent CONUS rail movement of units by train? Entire divisions could move aboard trains the length of the current AB CONUS map in a couple of days, not a week or longer.
BTW, in some mods moving ANY LCU in CONUS locks the game up. Was this true of vanilla. Just asking because I don't recall..

(in reply to BigBadWolf)
Post #: 274
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 1/18/2008 1:15:06 PM   
Mike Scholl

quote:

ORIGINAL: m10bob

Is there anyway to better represent CONUS rail movement of units by train? Entire divisions could move aboard trains the length of the current AB CONUS map in a couple of days, not a week or longer.
BTW, in some mods moving ANY LCU in CONUS locks the game up. Was this true of vanilla. Just asking because I don't recall..

RR movement from East Coast USA to West Coast Ports average about 4 days once the unit is in "strategic move mode" (packed up for travel). This does work as I've done it.

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 275
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 1/18/2008 1:54:44 PM   
m10bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Scholl

quote:

RR movement from East Coast USA to West Coast Ports average about 4 days once the unit is in "strategic move mode" (packed up for travel). This does work as I've done it.

Thank you, Mike!

(in reply to Mike Scholl)
Post #: 276
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 1/18/2008 2:16:00 PM   
Mike Scholl

It also looks like it will be possible to use the same "strategic mode" to move units from US East Coast to Capetown, etc on the Indian Ocean. Takes a lot longer as the journey is by ship. Haven't tried it yet, so I can't speak for how well it works (or what "bugs" it might bring to light).

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 277
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 1/18/2008 2:43:35 PM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

quote:

The hex distances to the Eastern USA and Canada bases were deliberately shortened to allow for faster rail travel times to/from these bases.

Andrew

Post #: 278
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 1/18/2008 2:44:17 PM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

It also looks like it will be possible to use the same "strategic mode" to move units from US East Coast to Capetown, etc on the Indian Ocean. Takes a lot longer as the journey is by ship. Haven't tried it yet, so I can't speak for how well it works (or what "bugs" it might bring to light).

Yes that can be done as well. We'll see about the "bugs" I guess.

Post #: 279
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 1/18/2008 4:17:30 PM   
Mike Scholl

quote:

ORIGINAL: Andrew Brown
Yes that can be done as well. We'll see about the "bugs" I guess.

Well, I'm the "tester"..., so I suppose I'd better test it and let you know. I'll send some units "east" the next chance I have. If I find anything, you can have the fun of de-bugging it.

< Message edited by Mike Scholl -- 1/18/2008 4:18:38 PM >

(in reply to Andrew Brown)
Post #: 280
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 1/20/2008 12:52:16 AM   
JeffroK

quote:

quote:

quote:

The hex distances to the Eastern USA and Canada bases were deliberately shortened to allow for faster rail travel times to/from these bases.

Andrew

Dont forget that it takes a lot of time to prep a Division for a move like this. I wouls see the Div being non-operational for at least a fortnight given packing up, moving, unpacking. Thiscould probably be shown by arriving disrupted.

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

Post #: 281
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 1/20/2008 1:24:29 AM   
Mike Scholl

quote:

ORIGINAL: JeffK
Dont forget that it takes a lot of time to prep a Division for a move like this. I wouls see the Div being non-operational for at least a fortnight given packing up, moving, unpacking. Thiscould probably be shown by arriving disrupted.

It's reflected in the time delay needed to assume "strategic mode" and to deploy from it again on arrival.

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 282
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 1/20/2008 3:00:16 AM   
treespider

quote:

quote:

It's reflected in the time delay needed to assume "strategic mode" and to deploy from it again on arrival.

To explain a little further ...a unit needs to be placed into Strategic Move mode to utilize rail movement. When ordered into this mode an informational message appears on the unit screen indicating that the unit is packing and will be available in a # of days. The # of days depends on the size of the unit. After being packed the unit will then proceed to its destination and will remain in Strategic Move Mode until ordered into another mode. However it will then take a number of days to unpack.

Similar things take place when units are moved by ship...to use a TRANSPORT TF a unit needs to pack into Strategic Movement Mode before it will be eligible to load onto a ship. However a unit needs to be in Combat mode to be loaded onto an AMPHIB TF. In both cases the shipping requirements and load times vary.

Here's a link to:
Treespider's Grand Campaign of DBB

"It is not the critic who counts, .... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." T. Roosevelt, Paris, 1910

Post #: 283
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 1/20/2008 7:14:53 AM   
Feinder

Given the Japanese player's perrogative to leave a base or two to "train" on (I know there are new skills now, but even if it's bombers training up on an AF attack, that's still very useful)...

What about just calling a spade a spade, and put deliberate "training" bases somehwere.  Just put a Japanese base land-locked near SF, and a traing base somewhere that Japan can reach).  Along the lines of, "We know you're going to "train" so here's something so benefits both players".

Or, just fixing the training mission would elimate the problem.

-F-

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

(in reply to herwin)
Post #: 284
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 1/22/2008 8:40:59 AM   
JeffroK

Andrew,

What's planned for Addu Atoll?  (A mix of map & land thread)

I havent seen it as an operating base at start , will it be in AE.

1st Royal Marine Coast Rgt began developing it as a base in Sept 41.
The first convoy arrived for refuelling on 3/1/42
There was enough space for the Queen Mary to anchor.

Found a great book on Pacific Islands, available at Victorian State Library if you cant get it.
WW2 PACIFIC ISLANDS GUIDE by Gordon Rottman
Goes into gret detail about the islands of the Pacific, Dutch East Indies & Phillipines

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 285
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 1/22/2008 4:37:10 PM   
Don Bowen

Another very good (and much less expensive) book somewhat along these lines is:

The British Empire and the Second World War by Ashley Jackson. ISBN 978-1-85285-517-8

It has lots of data on bases in the Indian Ocean and Africa, along with Commonwealth forces.

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 286
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 1/23/2008 2:20:47 PM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

Andrew,

What's planned for Addu Atoll? (A mix of map & land thread)

Found a great book on Pacific Islands, available at Victorian State Library if you cant get it.
Goes into gret detail about the islands of the Pacific, Dutch East Indies & Phillipines

At present, Addu starts with a port and airfield size of 1, to represent initial construction (perhaps that is too low?)

Andrew

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 287
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 1/24/2008 5:17:35 AM   
treespider

quote:

ORIGINAL: Don Bowen

Another very good (and much less expensive) book somewhat along these lines is:

The British Empire and the Second World War by Ashley Jackson. ISBN 978-1-85285-517-8

It has lots of data on bases in the Indian Ocean and Africa, along with Commonwealth forces.

This is another goody:
Author    	United States. Bureau of Yards and Docks..
Title   	Building the Navy’s bases in World War II; history of the Bureau of Yards and Docks and the Civil Engineer Corps, 1940-1946.

Imprint   	Washington, U. S. Govt. Print. Off., 1947-
Call Number   	D795.U6A48

Here's a link to:

"It is not the critic who counts, .... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." T. Roosevelt, Paris, 1910

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 288
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 1/24/2008 6:00:18 AM   
JeffroK

quote:

quote:

Andrew,

What's planned for Addu Atoll? (A mix of map & land thread)

At present, Addu starts with a port and airfield size of 1, to represent initial construction (perhaps that is too low?)

Andrew

Plus a Naval Base Force? (I'm unsure of the size/readiness of the airfield at the time)

Post #: 289
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 1/24/2008 7:00:59 AM   
Don Bowen

quote:

Plus a Naval Base Force? (I'm unsure of the size/readiness of the airfield at the time)

Two Mobile Naval Base Defense Organizations were sent to Addu Atoll in September, 1941 (left Med 20 Sept, 1941 - arrival date not given). Units code named Piledriver and Shortcut, total about 1000 men. By December 7, 1941 had installed CD guns and a defensive minefield, refueling station, general shore facitlities, small seaplane base but no airfield. One of the MNBDOs (Shortcut) left 26 November, 1941 for work on other Indian Ocean bases. By inference, Piledriver left as base force at Addu. No breakdown of components, other than the 1000 total for both.

Code Named Port T. Excellent anchorage, with a number of tankers and base ships of various types stationed there.

Work started on airfield at end of 1941 but suspended after Ceylon raid. Work resumed August, 1942 (by Royal Marine Engineer Company "Q" - 720 men), airfield operational Feb, 1943.

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 290
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 1/24/2008 7:27:28 AM   
JeffroK

Excellent Don,

Makes you wonder why earlier mods left it empty.

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 291
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 1/24/2008 4:00:51 PM   
Don Bowen

quote:

Excellent Don,

Makes you wonder why earlier mods left it empty.

Excellent indeed, but not me. It's all directly from:

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 292
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 1/24/2008 4:03:13 PM   
Andy Mac

Addu has a small base force at start if you want to reinforce it you can at player discretion

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 293
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 1/27/2008 4:13:08 PM   
asdicus

Author United States. Bureau of Yards and Docks..
Title Building the Navy’s bases in World War II; history of the Bureau of Yards and Docks and the Civil Engineer Corps, 1940-1946.

Imprint Washington, U. S. Govt. Print. Off., 1947-
Call Number D795.U6A48

This book is now available to read online see

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USN/Building_Bases/index.html

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 294
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 1/27/2008 8:57:21 PM   
pad152

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: pad152

quote:

Andrew
even the Japanese do not have complete control over their production)

That's one of the major problems, it always seemed that production in WITP was half finished. I hope the player in AE has full control of Japanese aircraft production in AE. Either the player is in control or the computer, not both (the computer changing the players changes)! Rather than fixing this, we ended up with the ability to change aircraft type upgrades which just made things worst and even more unrealistic.

What's being done to address this?

Is anything being done with engine production? (eliminating the useless engine types)?

Giving the Japanese (or Allies) greater control over production is OTS for AE.

Andrew

Andrew

I'm not asking for more control, just to stop the AI from over-riding player changes to aircraft production! I consider this a BUG, because it can ruin a game, if a player changes an factory to build aircraft A, production for this type starts at zero, then sometime later the AI changes the same factory back to aircraft B, production goes to zero a second time!

Post #: 295
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 1/28/2008 1:31:44 PM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

ORIGINAL: pad152
Andrew

I'm not asking for more control, just to stop the AI from over-riding player changes to aircraft production! I consider this a BUG, because it can ruin a game, if a player changes an factory to build aircraft A, production for this type starts at zero, then sometime later the AI changes the same factory back to aircraft B, production goes to zero a second time!

I will have to find out whether this is changed in any way, but I am not aware of anything. The only changes I have been making to the production system are to do with oil, fuel, resources etc., not how the aircraft factories work.

Andrew

(in reply to pad152)
Post #: 296
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 1/29/2008 4:23:17 AM   
treespider

quote:

ORIGINAL: asdicus

Author United States. Bureau of Yards and Docks..
Title Building the Navy’s bases in World War II; history of the Bureau of Yards and Docks and the Civil Engineer Corps, 1940-1946.

Imprint Washington, U. S. Govt. Print. Off., 1947-
Call Number D795.U6A48

This book is now available to read online see

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USN/Building_Bases/index.html

just volume II...

Here's a link to:

(in reply to asdicus)
Post #: 297
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 1/29/2008 6:49:08 AM   
Feinder

Addu became a fairly important refueling/resupply point during the 44-45 campaings vs. Akayb-Rangoon-Andy-Nicobar.  Addu was "quite substantial" by that time, and as I recall had a two floating docks large enough to accomodate heavy cruiser.  It's mentioned several times in Forgotten Fleet (but it's in my truck, and I don't feel like getting up to look up all the information on it).

-F-

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

(in reply to treespider)
Post #: 298
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 2/20/2008 10:37:16 PM   
rockmedic109

Looking at screenshots page I saw a base screen that had what I believe was a max fortifications in parenthesis.  I know that there is a max limit on fortifications but my question is if we can Overbuild fortifications like we do for ports and airbases?

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 299
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 2/21/2008 12:27:10 PM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

ORIGINAL: Feinder

Addu became a fairly important refueling/resupply point during the 44-45 campaings vs. Akayb-Rangoon-Andy-Nicobar. Addu was "quite substantial" by that time, and as I recall had a two floating docks large enough to accomodate heavy cruiser. It's mentioned several times in Forgotten Fleet (but it's in my truck, and I don't feel like getting up to look up all the information on it).

-F-

The port SPS for Addu is 2, which means a maximum size of 5. If there is a naval HQ there it will perform better as a base. I don't know about the presence, or otherwise, of floating dry docks in the OOB.

Andrew

PS: I will have to add "Forgotten Fleet" to my ever growing book wish list...

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 300
Page:   <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI