Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Detailed Battle Issues

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Detailed Battle Issues Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Detailed Battle Issues - 3/2/2008 5:51:15 AM   
Pioneerdbq

Hello everyone. I recently installed the game and have been enjoying it. However, I do have a few questions that I was hoping to have answered regarding detailed battles.

Is there a way to change a unit’s facing without actually moving it into another hex?

I also had some questions about grouping units together. I have spent some time studying the manual but I am still uncertain about this subject. Let’s say I have a division in a battle and I want them all to move together. How do I make them into one group which can be ordered to a different position at one time? For example let’s say that Army of the Peninsula has arrived to reinforce the army of the Potomac. Is there a way to send the entire force to the left side of my line without having to order individual commands each turn? I experimented with the Auto Center function for the army but this has confused me and I’m not sure how to use it.

I also don’t quite understand how casualties are being calculated. How could one of my brigades take over 100 casualties in a turn and inflict only a few dozen while I had the correct facing and all of my movement points left? The opposing brigade was literally directly in front of mine and both units appeared to be well supplied. (This battle occurred during the coming fury campaign scenario so I’m assuming that weaponry is still relatively equal for both armies.)

Is there an advantage in firing first and why do I appear to be taking such heavy casualties when I do so?

Thank you for reading my post and answering my numerous questions. I appreciate it and I’m looking forward to playing with you all in the future.

Sincerely,

Pioneerdbq
Post #: 1
RE: Detailed Battle Issues - 3/2/2008 7:49:06 AM   
ericbabe

Right clicking on an empty hex rotates the unit toward the direction clicked.

You can set the group-center for a military group as you described.  After a group-center is chosen, when you click the auto-move button for a unit, then that unit will move in the direction of the group-center.  There is also a function for giving the auto-move order to the entire group so that you don't have to choose this option over and over for each unit.

You can open the battle report from the menu button on the right hand side.  This will pop-up a fire report after each attack and tell you how all of the numbers were calculated, what all of the effects on the battle result are.  The base damage comes from the strength of the unit times a scaling factor times a random number between 1-100 chosen on a Gaussian distribution.  It's unlikely that the base number is an extreme result, but it's quite possible for one side to roll very badly while the other rolls very well.  The battle report can tell you what the rolls are for each combat result.  There are also other conditions, such as ranging and freshness, that can have a large impact on battle results.

(in reply to Pioneerdbq)
Post #: 2
RE: Detailed Battle Issues - 3/2/2008 8:01:29 AM   
Pioneerdbq

Thank you for your response sir. I'm sure this information will come in handy. I'll have to keep working on moving a group to one point and having all the units go there. I do have another question, though. Can I move whole divisions, corps, and armies this way or do I have to use a certain kind of base unit. For instance, would I only be able to move divisions in this manner? As always thank you for your help and have an excellent night.

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 3
RE: Detailed Battle Issues - 3/2/2008 8:28:29 AM   
Gil R.

There's a group move function in detailed combat (see manual). I think it's limited to a division, though I could be wrong. (I tend not to use group move myself when playing.)

(in reply to Pioneerdbq)
Post #: 4
RE: Detailed Battle Issues - 3/2/2008 4:25:01 PM   
ericbabe

When you set a move-center, the center applies to all units that are directly attached to the military group to which the currently active unit is directly attached.  So if you have army/corps/division/brigade and you set move-center for that brigade, then it will apply to all other brigades in the division.  If the brigade is attached instead directly to the corps, then it will apply to all other brigades applied directly to the corps.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 5
RE: Detailed Battle Issues - 3/2/2008 6:15:41 PM   
Pioneerdbq

Thank you gentleman. I appreciate your help.

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 6
RE: Detailed Battle Issues - 3/2/2008 6:16:28 PM   
Pioneerdbq

Excuse me. Thank you gentlemen (correct spelling now lol).

(in reply to Pioneerdbq)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Detailed Battle Issues Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI