Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Tutorial not explicit enough???

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Tutorial not explicit enough??? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Tutorial not explicit enough??? - 9/22/2000 2:59:00 PM   
Reg

I gave a copy of SPWaW 4.0 to a friend. He had played SP2 before but was unfamiliar with the Command and Control of SP3/SPWaW. Well anyway, he complained of frustration of not getting vehicles to move etc etc and of a lack of guidance from the tutorial. I tried to explain what was happening but think there is a good chance he may give up on it. (Another one gotten away???) Perhaps it may be an idea to flesh out the tutorial (particularly in regard to C & C) for the genuine newbies out there?? Any opinions?? Reg.

Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!
Post #: 1
- 9/22/2000 6:35:00 PM   
Pillbox

Yes I have the same issues with regards to C&C. Just when I think I have it figured out, I have some troops sitting somewhere with no orders, they can't move, and can't figure out how to MAKE them move and so I just hit "M" and have the wait it out... :P and also I am VERY confused about bombardment but that is the subject for another thread. I will post another thread with some observations from a big scenario I've been having fun with. Thanks all, Pillbox

(in reply to Reg)
Post #: 2
- 9/22/2000 7:18:00 PM   
EngineerWhit

I'm another newbie who has had some mild frustration, but I still love it! I found some FAQ's and a rather old SP Primer on the internet (for SP, SPII, SPIII) and have tried to use it. I also dug out my bargain bin version of SP and printed out the manual for it. I really liked the tutorial it had, as it took you pretty much through the entire scenario. One suggestion, although a great deal of time would be involved, are the tutorials that came with Harpoon II. It had a scenario that covered one aspect and it allowed one to practice in depth. Accompany it with a small write up and that would be very beneficial! Oh well, back to being drilled by the Germans!!!!!

(in reply to Reg)
Post #: 3
- 9/22/2000 7:19:00 PM   
EngineerWhit

I'm another newbie who has had some mild frustration, but I still love it! I found some FAQ's and a rather old SP Primer on the internet (for SP, SPII, SPIII) and have tried to use it. I also dug out my bargain bin version of SP and printed out the manual for it. I really liked the tutorial it had, as it took you pretty much through the entire scenario. One suggestion, although a great deal of time would be involved, are the tutorials that came with Harpoon II. It had a scenario that covered one aspect and it allowed one to practice in depth. Accompany it with a small write up and that would be very beneficial! Oh well, back to being drilled by the Germans!!!!!

(in reply to Reg)
Post #: 4
- 9/22/2000 9:39:00 PM   
Wild Bill

The tutorial in the game is for the very basics of the game, move-shoot-rally. It is not designed to cover much more than that. It is strictly for beginners. There are other sections in the manual that explain other features in greater detail. Some beginners are more enterprising than others and some are really not beginners, such as your friend with previous experience with SP2. In that case, you begin to look through the manual to see if it addresses specific issues such as C&C and other features. So don't expect too much from a simple tutorial designed only to get one started. That was it's purpose. WB ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to Reg)
Post #: 5
- 9/22/2000 11:09:00 PM   
von Bult

IMHO Maybe the default setting for Command Control should be "off" so it doesn't "put off" or scare away newbies. Veterans already know how to enable and use it. The same with Opportunity Fire; once they have the basics, they can enable more realistic modes of play at their own discretion. Once they basically know how to play, they may eventually be interested in using the Realism Options.

(in reply to Reg)
Post #: 6
- 9/25/2000 12:49:00 PM   
MrT

i am new to wargaming and would have really appreciated some discussion of stategy. it may be too much to ask from a free game but it would have been nice

(in reply to Reg)
Post #: 7
- 9/25/2000 12:53:00 PM   
Wild Bill

We would have loved to have included a tips on strategy section in the manual. And we have some folks who are very good at it. Time and resources denied us that privilege but it is a definite inclusion for future endeavors. I do recommend going to the SP Arsenal Armory and looking around there to get some updates on tactics in SP. There is a lot of good material. Go to: http://sparsenal.thegamers.net Then click on the word Armory in the menu and take a look around There is some good material on that subject. Perhaps this will help. And basic real life military tactics work well in the game so anything you can find on that theme (small unit tactics) will prove to be a help too. Wild Bill ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to Reg)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Tutorial not explicit enough??? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI