Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Why this modifier

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Why this modifier Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Why this modifier - 3/14/2008 1:48:10 PM   
Dragonheart

Hi,

In a combat ag france i had 3 austrian corps and 1 preussian corps under the lead of a preussian TMR 4 leader (Hohenlohe?) (Austria and Preussia allied) France attacked with a leader +1 Tactical rating above my leader. Normally this should give a +1 to france but the modifier was +1 for france and -1 for me. How is this possible??

Edit: no cav sup involved, clear terrain and no rivercrossing

< Message edited by Dragonheart -- 3/14/2008 1:49:57 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Why this modifier - 3/14/2008 2:30:51 PM   
eske

Hohenlohe is a 1.2.4 leader. You say he has 4 corps under him. Thats not more than his TMR of 4 (last number of 1.2.4).
That means his actual tactical rating compared in 14.11 Commander chart is 2. (center of 1.2.4). If Hohenlohe commanded 5-8 corps it would be reduced to 1. If he had 9 or more it would be reduced to 0. Can't get below that.

Now, if you are up against on of Napoleon (5.5.6) or Davout (4.5.2), and he has no more corps than his TMR (Napoleon 6, Davout 2), your opponent uses a tactical rating of 5. Comparing 5 vs. 2 on Commander chart gives +1/-1 die modifiers in french favor.

If this isn't the case, plz tell name of french commander and number of french corps.

/eske

Alea iacta est

(in reply to Dragonheart)
Post #: 2
RE: Why this modifier - 3/14/2008 6:01:53 PM   
Jimmer

Also, remember that one can get a +1 from either or both of tactical rating delta and/or cavalry superiority (double the number of cavalry). There are separate places on the battle display for each of these. They are also cumulative, but limited to a maximum die modifier of +1.

At LAST! The greatest campaign board game of all time is finally available for the PC. Can my old heart stand the strain?

(in reply to eske)
Post #: 3
RE: Why this modifier - 3/19/2008 5:32:12 PM   
Dragonheart

quote:

ORIGINAL: eske

Hohenlohe is a 1.2.4 leader. You say he has 4 corps under him. Thats not more than his TMR of 4 (last number of 1.2.4).
That means his actual tactical rating compared in 14.11 Commander chart is 2. (center of 1.2.4). If Hohenlohe commanded 5-8 corps it would be reduced to 1. If he had 9 or more it would be reduced to 0. Can't get below that.

Now, if you are up against on of Napoleon (5.5.6) or Davout (4.5.2), and he has no more corps than his TMR (Napoleon 6, Davout 2), your opponent uses a tactical rating of 5. Comparing 5 vs. 2 on Commander chart gives +1/-1 die modifiers in french favor.

If this isn't the case, plz tell name of french commander and number of french corps.

/eske

I´m aware of the modifiers but as i statet he had the allowed amount of corps under his belt (3 austrian, 1 preussian) and the french leader was a "3" leader...sorry dont know his name as i´m writing from the office......so the difference in Tactical ratins is only one.

Thus should give a +1 to the french...but there was a +1 and a -1....and there was no cav advantage at all.......so i guess EiA does not count hohenlohe as leader of the mixed force but takes the simple 1/1 rating of the austrian corps which had no leader present.

(in reply to eske)
Post #: 4
RE: Why this modifier - 3/19/2008 5:36:53 PM   
Jimmer

A 3 leader vs. a 2 leader results in 0/-1. Then, add in cav superiority, and it can become +1/-1. That's likely what happened.

By the way, Matrix guys: THIS is the reason a player's leader should be able to voluntarily lower his tactical rating: To change a +1/0 (for a 4 vs. 2) to a 0/-1, and then be able to add cav superiority in.

A side benefit of being able to voluntarily drop the rating is that that leader can choose whether to have both sides have lighter or heavier casualties that round.

At LAST! The greatest campaign board game of all time is finally available for the PC. Can my old heart stand the strain?

(in reply to Dragonheart)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Why this modifier Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI