Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: AAR Jon Pyle (Union) vs Joel Billings (Confederate) - Confederate POV

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Gary Grigsby's War Between the States >> After Action Reports >> RE: AAR Jon Pyle (Union) vs Joel Billings (Confederate) - Confederate POV Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: AAR Jon Pyle (Union) vs Joel Billings (Confederate)... - 3/14/2008 12:42:52 AM   
Joel Billings

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grell

Hi Joel,

Is this game mod friendly like WAWAWD? In the game manual it tells you how to modify the game, will this game have that ability?

Regards,

Grell

Yes the game can be modded. It is set up like World at War, using data files, so many things can be adjusted.

(in reply to Grell)
Post #: 31
RE: AAR Jon Pyle (Union) vs Joel Billings (Confederate)... - 3/14/2008 3:40:21 PM   
kingwanabee

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joel Billings

Let me know if I missed something.

On the unit counters, the number in the upper left corner is strength? What is the icon in the lower left corner that looks like three dice?

Thanks again

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 32
RE: AAR Jon Pyle (Union) vs Joel Billings (Confederate)... - 3/14/2008 4:06:44 PM   
Grell

Hi Joel,

That's great, thanks.

Regards,

Grell

Post #: 33
RE: AAR Jon Pyle (Union) vs Joel Billings (Confederate)... - 3/14/2008 5:45:08 PM   
Joel Billings

quote:

ORIGINAL: kingwanabee

quote:

On the unit counters, the number in the upper left corner is strength? What is the icon in the lower left corner that looks like three dice?

Thanks again

Yes, the number in the left corner is the number of that type of unit in the area. The symbol in the lower left is supposed to be crates stacked together representing the unit has been supplied this turn.

Well, the Confederate nightmare finally happened in August 1862. Both Union Theatre Commanders got initiative and they were able to help all four Union Army Commanders get initiative. With that kind of coordination, the Union player had lots of choices. What do you think he did? I'll post later today what happened. It wasn't pretty.

I keep waiting for Scott to die, but no such luck. His living has given the Union player a better chance getting initiative. In most games, he dies in 1861 or early 1862, but occasionally he lives longer.

(in reply to kingwanabee)
Post #: 34
RE: AAR Jon Pyle (Union) vs Joel Billings (Confederate)... - 3/14/2008 6:12:59 PM   
Grell

quote:

quote:

quote:

Thanks again

Yes, the number in the left corner is the number of that type of unit in the area. The symbol in the lower left is supposed to be crates stacked together representing the unit has been supplied this turn.

Well, the Confederate nightmare finally happened in August 1862. Both Union Theatre Commanders got initiative and they were able to help all four Union Army Commanders get initiative. With that kind of coordination, the Union player had lots of choices. What do you think he did? I'll post later today what happened. It wasn't pretty.

No Joel, no!

Say it ain't so!

Regards,

Grell

Post #: 35
RE: AAR Jon Pyle (Union) vs Joel Billings (Confederate)... - 3/14/2008 8:36:04 PM   
Forwarn45

Just looking at the 2 AARs, it seems like random leaders gives the South a pretty big advantage since it is mainly on the defensive. Is this your experience, Joel, or is it just a fluke?

(in reply to Grell)
Post #: 36
RE: AAR Jon Pyle (Union) vs Joel Billings (Confederate)... - 3/14/2008 11:11:25 PM   
Joel Billings

quote:

ORIGINAL: Forwarn45

Just looking at the 2 AARs, it seems like random leaders gives the South a pretty big advantage since it is mainly on the defensive. Is this your experience, Joel, or is it just a fluke?

It can go both ways. I was in a PBEM game as Union where I was lucky enough to have 2 excellent leaders show themselves early in the war. Of course, in that game, the Confederates had several great defensive leaders as well. I was able to get on a roll and keep it going. The random system is stacked to generally give the Confederates a leadership edge at the high levels early in the war, while things tend to even out later on. Rafael had the worst luck I've ever seen with random leaders, having 2 of his starting Army commanders be totally incompetent on the attack, and my first AC turned out to be excellent on defense. This cost him early on and allowed me to get off to a good start. This kind of extreme luck is hard to beat, but assuming the luck turned around with other leaders coming in later, there's still a chance if the Union makes the right moves. Figuring out who is good and who is bad while not getting too far behind on Political Points (or losing too many troops) is a key to random leader play.

WBTS is not an easy game to figure out how to play well. We've got video tutorials and an ample manual with strategy notes to try to help people out, but there's a lot to learn. Even after many months of testing I'd say there are only three top players that have really figured out the system (Jan, Pyle Driver, and myself - Jan actually hasn't played in awhile and the game has changed some during development, but Jan is a master so I'm sure he could absorb the changes within a few turns). Although luck is a factor, especially with random leaders, the play level of the players is what will dictate who wins. To me the game is more like Backgammon than Chess. There is luck in Backgammon, but the better player will win the majority of games. There is luck in WBTS, but the better player will win the overwhelming majority of games, and unlike Backgammon, a much better player will probably never lose to a weaker player.

I think playing with historical leaders is good at first, but I think playing with random leaders is what keeps the game fresh in repeat play, especially against the same opponent. I really enjoy the twists and turns that come from not knowing for sure which leaders are worthy of high command.

(in reply to Forwarn45)
Post #: 37
RE: AAR Jon Pyle (Union) vs Joel Billings (Confederate)... - 3/15/2008 1:01:03 AM   
Joel Billings

As I said earlier, all Union leaders got initiative this turn (about an 18% chance of happening given the good Union leaders in place and the fact that they all were in areas with fully stocked depots). The Union took advantage of his good fortune. In the west, he moved Lyon to Decatur, thus keeping me from being able to reinforce Nashville with any troops from south of the Tennessee River. Unable to cover both Decatur and my forts on the Mississippi River, I had elected to focus on resting Beauregard's army and positioning it to be able to block any move south into Mississippi. Knowing that Grant was moving on Nashville, Lyon's move to Decatur was a smart move. This, combined with the fact that Cooper did not have initiative and could not prod the troops in Livingston to go to help Nashville, forced Joe Johnston to evacuate Nashville and retreat toward Chattanooga. Unfortunately not all of the garrisons of Decatur and Nashville were able to escape the crushing Union blows, and 20000 Confederate troops were lost.

Seeing an opportunity presented by these Union moves, recently promoted Nathan Bedford Forrest led 6000 cavalry on a raid on Corinth and Shiloh, destroying lots of supplies and rail stock. A smaller raid was launched by 2000 cavalry on Grant's supply lines in Gallatin, getting some payback for the losses in Nashville. William Hardee and Earl Van Dorn led a mixed infantry cavalry force of 12000 men into Kentucky, brushing aside a Union cavalry brigade. At this point I can only hope that the Union armies will fell the need to pause before moving on. I'm resigned to having to retreat to Chattanooga, but I'm hoping that I can delay Grant's army from threatening Eastern Tennessee until winter. As for Lyon, I have no idea where he's going next. He could elect to march off rail over the mountains toward Atlanta, or he could turn south toward Selma (also off-rail). More likely he will move back toward the Mississippi River in an attempt to clear its banks once and for all. I've positioned Beauregard in Tupelo, just southwest of Decatur. If I had enough troops I'd consider going on the offensive, but things haven't been going so well on the Eastern Front either.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 38
RE: AAR Jon Pyle (Union) vs Joel Billings (Confederate)... - 3/15/2008 3:03:53 AM   
kingwanabee

What kind of challenge does the a.i. put up? I know it can never compare to a competent human, but does it avoid big bone-head moves? It would be great to see an AAR vs. the a.i.

Post #: 39
RE: AAR Jon Pyle (Union) vs Joel Billings (Confederate)... - 3/15/2008 4:41:14 AM   
Joel Billings

quote:

What kind of challenge does the a.i. put up? I know it can never compare to a competent human, but does it avoid big bone-head moves? It would be great to see an AAR vs. the a.i.

Hopefully some of the testers will chime in on this question. There are several play levels. I play against the AI on the Hard level (2 up from Normal). It challenges me at that level, although I have almost always been able to beat it. I haven't tried the hardest level yet. Higher difficulties provide production bonuses and leader initiative and training bonuses. All levels give the computer some transport bonuses. These can all be customized by the player. As the computer is not as "smart" as a human player, we feel these bonuses make up for some of the basic weaknesses in the AI (all AI's are weaker than human players unless the game is designed in such a way to force the player to use elements of the AI.

Testers have posted that the computer can be aggressive as the Confederates, in some cases surprising the Union player. However, it can also occasionally make overly aggressive attacks that can hurt it (but so can a human). From what I can tell it has kept the testers busy for quite awhile, and given you're willing to turn up the play level, it will be a challenge for many games. It is not a human player, however, and like World at War and AWD, if you want the best experience with WBTS there is no substitute for a human player (a good one that is). My sense is compared to other games we've made, it takes testers longer with WBTS to get good enough to consistently beat the AI at the lower difficulty levels. We've always made providing a good AI a major part of our development efforts. I invite any of the testers to give their opinion about the AI.

Post #: 40
RE: AAR Jon Pyle (Union) vs Joel Billings (Confederate)... - 3/15/2008 6:11:19 AM   
nelmsm1

The AI has given me all the challenge that I've wanted as I've learned the game. As someone who wasn't familiar with the WaW engine I've had my hands full and haven't beaten the AI yet. Of course I get a little further each time and I don't doubt that I'll beat it soon but Joel is right, this game is much more fun and challenging against another human. Don't even want to discuss how I've fared there.

Post #: 41
RE: AAR Jon Pyle (Union) vs Joel Billings (Confederate)... - 3/15/2008 8:20:04 AM   
Joel Billings

August brought Union attacks on both Savannah and Charleston. McClellan marched on Savannah with a little more than 50,000 men. Polk met him with 44,000 men, a force that had been built up for just such an occasion. This time, supported by ample heavy artillery, the Union army and navy were soundly defeated. A total of 45000 Union troops were committed into action against 37000 Confederates, but the Union army was forced to retreat back to Waycross and the Union navy had one of its Cruiser fleets destroyed. This major victory helped lift southern spirits that were so low after the fall of Nashville.

However, the big blow was in Charleston, where an amphibious force of at least 25,000 men led by Sherman assaulted the 12,500-man garrison. At first it looked like the Charleston fortifications would hold, but Union pressure, and the fact that no relief could be expected soon led the southern troops to lose heart. Early committed all his troops and artillery, but Ewell was tentative and only committed 1/3 of his division. In the end, Early's forces were forced to surrender. The final odds were 1.03 to 1, which indicates Charleston was very close to holding out. This was a devastating blow, made worse by the knowledge that thousands of local black recruits would soon be joining the Union army.

After the battle, a screening force was set up to keep an eye on Union forces in Charleston, while William HF Lee's cavalry sent to harass McClellan's army. I feel that I can continue to stymie McClellan's army, but I'm not sure what can be done about Charleston and the threat to South Carolina. I wouldn't be surprised if McClellan moves his army to Charleston and prepares to move inland.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to nelmsm1)
Post #: 42
RE: AAR Jon Pyle (Union) vs Joel Billings (Confederate)... - 3/15/2008 8:56:18 AM   
Joel Billings

Having lost Nashville, Decatur and Charleston, it seemed that it was time to take some action. The move into Kentucky was intended to distract Grant and perhaps relieve some of the pressure that will build on Chattanooga. In the east, Sherman's move to Charleston left Washington covered by 50,000 men under the temporary command of Sumner. Banks, with 14,000 men guards Frederick in Maryland, and Patterson commands what appear to be about 20,000 men in Harper's Ferry. Lee, with 37,000 men (half under the command of Stonewall Jackson), was sent to attack Harper's Ferry. The hope is that with Sherman occupied, the weaker northern generals will not be able to react in time to prevent the destruction of the Harper's Ferry garrison. Hopefully this will draw Union troops away from the Deep South. Stuart's cavalry, having previously scouted Union positions, was sent to Washington to raid Union supplies and disrupt any movement of Union forces to Harper's Ferry. This raid was incredibly successful, capturing and destroying scores of supplies. The move was so successful that Washington no longer has the minimum supplies needed to assist Union troops there in gaining initiative. Without initiative, they cannot reach Harper's Ferry in time. This move could easily backfire, but the opportunity to strike was there and I felt something had to be done to disrupt Union operations.

The Political score is now Union 1052 Confederate 1019.

There has been no additional call for troops from the Union government, although volunteers and black recruits continue to join up. Estimated Union army strength at the end of August is 570,000 while the Confederacy now has just over 300,000 men in the field. Estimates have it that between 100,000 and 125,000 Union soldiers are tied down in garrison duty. Another 50-75,000 Union troops are holding various front line positions, but are unlikely to be used in offensive operations. Approximately 35,000 Confederate soldiers are tied down defending various coastal forts or screening southern ports controlled by the Union. This puts the troop ratio of units available for active operations on the various front lines at about 1.50 to 1 in favor of the Union.

The loss of manufacturing and trade in Nashville and Charleston is going to make things difficult for the Confederacy. Supply shortages have caused curtailment of artillery production. I have been investing a little every month in building up Southern production capacity, which has helped make up for some of the losses to date, however it's hard to see how I will be able to continue this and supply the growing army. Of course, if I lose much more territory (and population), the army won't continue to grow in size.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 43
RE: AAR Jon Pyle (Union) vs Joel Billings (Confederate)... - 3/16/2008 8:52:41 PM   
Joel Billings

Patterson retreated from Lee's move on Harper's Ferry. Jackson was able to savage the Union rear guard, causing 4600 casualties and the loss of 10 guns while only suffering 1400 casualties. McClellan made another attempt to reach Savannah, but was turned back in a battle that involved close to 45000 troops on each side. Polk's ability to hold Savannah and Lee's move to Harper's Ferry has lifted southern hopes. The screenshot below shows the end of September situation near Savannah.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 44
RE: AAR Jon Pyle (Union) vs Joel Billings (Confederate)... - 3/17/2008 1:04:04 AM   
Josans

Sorry Joel for that off thread topic ... many time to find an update from 2by3 journal ... War in Russia remake is still on the way?
Die Kriegerin (Jon) we have still some hopes?
Anyway you are doing a great work about Civil War... just waiting, as many, the last definitive Eastern Front

Josan.

Post #: 45
RE: AAR Jon Pyle (Union) vs Joel Billings (Confederate)... - 3/17/2008 2:52:52 AM   
Joel Billings

I've been meaning to post a new journal entry this month, but this AAR has sucked up a lot of time. There is a thread in the general discussion forum from last week about the current status of our new east front game (it's been moving forward for many months now):

general discussion on Russian Front

I posted about half way down the second page in that thread.

< Message edited by Joel Billings -- 3/17/2008 2:54:45 AM >

(in reply to Josans)
Post #: 46
RE: AAR Jon Pyle (Union) vs Joel Billings (Confederate)... - 3/17/2008 3:15:38 AM   
Joel Billings

In the east, Grant sent Thomas south from Nashville to open direct communications with Lyon at Decatur. I've got the Union forces well scouted now, but I've been stretched covering all of the possible areas that the Union armies are threatening.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 47
RE: AAR Jon Pyle (Union) vs Joel Billings (Confederate)... - 3/17/2008 5:48:54 AM   
Joel Billings

Reports from northern newspapers indicate that Sherman, after taking Charleston, was forced by illness to give up his command and return home. Pope was put in charge of the Army of the Potomac in Washington. Lee elected not to risk his luck by moving further north, instead, leaving a small garrison at Harper's Ferry and returning to Northern Virginia.

Word also came that the Confederate moves north led Lincoln to call for more troops. 80,000 new recruits were said to have joined up in the past month as the states scrambled to meet their quotas. Of course admitting the need for additional troops hurt the Union government politically. The current political score is Union 998 Confederate 1029.

The screenshot below reflects the current troop levels, with my end of September production listed in red. We have added a new feature, which is that when the fog of war game option is in use, the enemy totals listed are randomized somewhat so you don't know exactly what they have. My sense is that in reality the Union numbers are a little larger than shown in the display. With the latest call up of troops, the Union armed forces have gone over the 600,000 mark and are probably around 650,000 compared to my 320,000.

The good news is that there is only one more month of good weather this year.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 48
RE: AAR Jon Pyle (Union) vs Joel Billings (Confederate)... - 3/18/2008 6:02:14 PM   
GBS

How does this game play against the AI? Is there a thread that describes that? If it is only halfway decent I will look forward to this game.

Post #: 49
RE: AAR Jon Pyle (Union) vs Joel Billings (Confederate)... - 3/18/2008 9:58:16 PM   
Josans

quote:

I've been meaning to post a new journal entry this month, but this AAR has sucked up a lot of time. There is a thread in the general discussion forum from last week about the current status of our new east front game (it's been moving forward for many months now):

general discussion on Russian Front

I posted about half way down the second page in that thread.

Thanks a lot for your reply. Many of us, WiR fans missed this thread. I posted the link thread on the WiR forum for people interested You should be surprise of people expecting the game...

Post #: 50
RE: AAR Jon Pyle (Union) vs Joel Billings (Confederate)... - 3/18/2008 10:28:16 PM   
kingwanabee

quote:

ORIGINAL: GBS

How does this game play against the AI? Is there a thread that describes that? If it is only halfway decent I will look forward to this game.

I asked this a few days back. Scroll back on this page.

(in reply to GBS)
Post #: 51
RE: AAR Jon Pyle (Union) vs Joel Billings (Confederate)... - 3/19/2008 2:00:19 AM   
Joel Billings

Hopefully we can find a tester willing to post an AAR of a game against the AI.

In October, Grant began his move on Chattanooga. Advancing with 59,000 men and 320 guns he met Joe Johnston's army of 54,000 men and 200 guns at Murfreesboro. Although Grant's army suffered more losses (12,600/50 guns versus 10,600/20 guns), Joe Johnston was forced to retreat. Johnston is going to try to stop Grant in the hills to the west of Chattanooga.

Lyon moved his army from Decatur to Corinth, thus once again threatening a move on Jackson via Grenada. Lyon's army is huge, and clearly the largest threat. As things in Virginia continue to be very quiet, I've convinced General Lee that since Virginia has not been attacked (unless you count West Virginia), he needs to go to Mississippi and face the largest threat to the Confederacy. This may be a temporary assignment, depending on Union moves in the future. I've also reinforced Forrest so he now has 12,000 cavalry. I'm hoping that Forrest can disrupt Lyon's supply lines and keep him from being able to make a move during the winter.

With bad weather coming up, I've sent Braxton Bragg to retake Gadsden in Alabama. In October Forrest destroyed only a few of the supplies in Corinth, but managed to all but destroy the depot in Decatur which should keep that garrison from moving to support Union troops in Gadsden.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 52
RE: AAR Jon Pyle (Union) vs Joel Billings (Confederate)... - 3/19/2008 2:16:06 AM   
Joel Billings

In the southeast, Pope was put in charge of a large army in Charleston. The army south of Savannah has mostly been withdrawn. I reacted by moving Beauregard to take charge of forces blocking a move inland from Charleston.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 53
RE: AAR Jon Pyle (Union) vs Joel Billings (Confederate)... - 3/19/2008 2:35:20 AM   
Joel Billings

In Virginia, Polk has been put in charge of the Army of Northern Virginia. Reports are that McClellan has been put in charge of the AOP, but it appears he's been sent there mostly to train the many new recruits that have entered service, as reports indicate that nearly half of the army is made up of untrained troops. Since Polk was able to beat McClellan twice in Savannah, I'm hoping that in the unlikely event that McClellan leaves his winter quarters, Polk can make it three wins in a row.

With November comes bad weather. This means most units can only move one area when on the attack (if that), and defending troops often find it impossible to react to reach a battle. The chance of initiative is halved. Also attrition can take its toll. I'm hoping the larger Union forces will suffer a greater percentage loss since many of them are in hostile territory.

The victory at the battle of Murfreesboro brought up Union morale. The current political score is Union 1013 Confederate 1021.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 54
RE: AAR Jon Pyle (Union) vs Joel Billings (Confederate)... - 3/20/2008 9:15:00 AM   
Joel Billings

In early November, Bragg's attack on Gadsden Alabama went well, inflicting 3600 casualties on the fleeing garrison at the cost of only 200 Confederate casualties. Later in the month, Lyon moved south to Grenada with 90,000 troops. I was expecting that move sooner or later, which is why I had moved Lee and several good leaders to Mississippi. Lee with 73,000 troops met Lyon, however because Lee had not gotten initiative (neither had Cooper), he was slow getting to the area and was only able to use half of his 24 command points which meant he could only help out 12 units in the battle instead of 24. I was counting on Lee's ability to keep the battle size low and for him to commit a greater percentage of his troops, but he didn't do this, and Lyon was able to fully commit his forces. The odds were in the south's favor in this battle, but the fact that Lyon has become a high Command Point leader (via success) gave him a chance to win, and he did. Confederate losses were 13,200/50 guns while Union losses were 15,400/50 guns. Lee fell back to Jackson. The heavy batteries on the Mississippi River at Clarksdale were evacuated south to Ashley Arkansas. A Union force of around 15,000-20,000 troops landed in southern Texas and took Austin. The defending 4,000 troops and 6,000 Texas militia were forced to retreat north to Dallas after losing 6000 men to 2800 Union casualties. At the end of November the political score was about Union 1035 Confederate 1005. I don't expect much Union activity in December due to weather and supply issues, but Lee's army was not yet able to make a move. If I can, I will try to place Lee in Tupelo where he can threaten and attack on Corinth or Grenada, while also being in a position to move to react a move south by Lyon. I'm not sure I'll get a chance to do this, but I have to look for a way to disrupt the Union move south.

Post #: 55
RE: AAR Jon Pyle (Union) vs Joel Billings (Confederate)... - 3/22/2008 12:01:21 AM   
Joel Billings

Things slowed down in December as the armies try to keep warm. Attrition hit 9 union units and 3 Confederate units. Union forces launched a division size probe of Harper's Ferry. Jackson moved in and destroyed the division, taking 200 casualties versus 2800 Union casualties. A Union force of 8000 men supported by a large fleet of Union ships attacked Fort St. Philip at the mouth of the Mississippi River. The garrison was virtually destroyed, losing 60 heavy guns and 2400 losses compared to 300 Union casualties. The Mississippi River is now closed for overseas trade. The Confederates contented themselves with launching several cavalry raids, capturing 11 supplies and destroying 45 more. Earl Van Dorn managed to reach Nashville, causing havoc with Grant's supply lines. The Political Score at the end of 1862 is Union 1029 Confederate 1010.

Post #: 56
RE: AAR Jon Pyle (Union) vs Joel Billings (Confederate)... - 3/22/2008 1:08:53 AM   
Joel Billings

In January, the Union army faced major supply problems. In winter, the armies have a much harder time living off the land, and must rely on supplies produced in the north and moved south. Confederate cavalry raids have taken their toll, and the Union armies found themselves scrounging for food and shelter. Roughly 20% of Grant and Lyon's armies in the west were out of supply. Even though Halleck got initiative, and helped both Grant and Lyon to get initiative, they declined to move their armies given their poor supply situation. Winter and supply issues caused attrition damage to 14 Union units, while only 2 Confederate units were damaged. This was great news. In the west, Freemont and his Army Commanders were unable to get initiative so no Union attacks were made. A Union gunboat fleet moved up the Mississippi River from Fort St Philip, but was destroyed by shore batteries. Three ironclad fleets that moved up behind the gunboat fleet exchanged fire with the heavy artillery, only to have one of the fleets suffer damage along with one of the heavy artillery units. Further north, 7 gunboat fleets engaged the fort at Ashley, Arkansas. The artillery commanded by Edward Alexander damaged one of the gunboats with no loss to the fort. Shore batteries were moved to Port Hudson (Baton Rouge) in case the Ironclads attempt to run the fort further south. I'm trying to protect the transports on the river that provide a link between Texas and parts of Western Louisiana with Mississippi. I now have 12 heavy artillery batteries positioned next to the Mississippi River (half in the north and half in the south). I don't know of any other gunboats or ironclads available for River duty than the ones I've already identified. Cruisers fight at a disadvantage in the river, so hopefully I can keep the middle portion of the river clear of Union ships for a while longer.

Cavalry raids continued, with 14 supplies captured and 65 destroyed. Just to give you and idea, the Union starts with about 63 factories. Each factory can produce 10 supplies per month, so together with free trade, the Union player could theoretically gain around 750 supplies per month. Union forces are consuming around 350-400 supplies per month, but additional supplies are needed to equip new recruits, and factories are also busy replacing equipment losses and producing new ships and artillery. After the supply shortages, the Union player disbanded several depots that were no longer essential, and focused production on building up a supply stockpile. Hopefully this is keeping the Union player from being able to expand the size of their navy or increase their numerical superiority in artillery.

Word is that Sherman is recovering from his illness and is likely to take command of any army this spring. That's bad news. Longstreet is improving, but isn't expected back in the saddle anytime soon. Now that we're into 1863, it will be harder for both sides to find new recruits for their armies. The screenshot below shows the current situation.

The current Political score is Union 1016 Confederate 1019. The historical political score (in game terms) as of the beginning of March 1863 was Union 1132 Confederate 846.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 57
RE: AAR Jon Pyle (Union) vs Joel Billings (Confederate)... - 3/23/2008 8:54:46 AM   
Joel Billings

In February, Grant advanced along the rail to Chattanooga with just over 75000 men. Joe Johnston's army of 74,000 men blocked this move, and a battle was fought in Tullahoma. Taking advantage of the terrain, Johnston forced Grant's army back after causing Union casualties of 9000 men and 80 guns versus Confederate losses of 7300 and 10 guns. No other Union attacks were made, and the Ironclad fleets retreated south to the mouth of the Mississippi River.

Attrition damaged 7 Union units and 3 Confederate units, as Union supply levels were brought up. Now that the Mississippi River is cut off from foreign trade, the Union blockade is almost complete, with only 12 supplies coming to the Confederacy from overseas.

Thanks to the victory against Grant, the political score is now Union 994 Confederate 1048.

Post #: 58
RE: AAR Jon Pyle (Union) vs Joel Billings (Confederate)... - 3/23/2008 9:35:22 AM   
Hasardeur

Hallo Joel,

many thanks for your wunderful AAR. Is it possible to post a sceenshot, which shows how the "purchase" of units work in this game. Many thanks in advance.

Hasardeur

Post #: 59
RE: AAR Jon Pyle (Union) vs Joel Billings (Confederate)... - 3/23/2008 8:27:24 PM   
Joel Billings

Production is similar to production in World at War, with factories on the map that each can be working on producing one item at a time. This screenshot shows that there are 2 factory points in New Orleans. A supply unit is being built there and will be produced at the end of the production phase (this will create 10 supply points on the map). A Heavy Artillery unit, that takes four months to build, is about to be completed. Two population points will be used from the 10 in the Louisiana state population pool to man this artillery unit. There is also a damaged infantry unit here, but the red number indicates it is on hold and is not going to be produced this turn. It takes 5 turns to build a gunboat fleet, 9 to build an ironclad fleet. Infantry and cavalry units are repaired, but not built. Militia units (untrained infantry) are raised automatically in states when their population pools have sufficient population (this also uses supplies). Supplies are expended to convert militia units to mounted units (untrained cavalry units). Since more than half of the factories are usually producing supplies, there is a button that allows you to build supplies at all factories. It usually just takes a minute to cycle through all the factory locations and select units you want to build that aren't supply units.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Hasardeur)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Gary Grigsby's War Between the States >> After Action Reports >> RE: AAR Jon Pyle (Union) vs Joel Billings (Confederate) - Confederate POV Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI