Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
- 3/18/2002 12:49:48 PM   
V-man

[QUOTE]Originally posted by troopie
[B]Sarge,

BION there are people on the Art of Wargaming forum who don't wargame. It seems strange to me.

troopie [/B][/QUOTE]

Allow me to add a new word to your vocabulary. Troll. A troll is a misanthrope that isn't content unless he can find a way to ruin the fun that others are having. They populate the internet and USENET because the chief trait of a troll, besides his misanthropy, is his cowardice. He does from the anonymity of his home, via the keyboard, what he'd *never* do in real life. That could get him hit.

:-)

"You see, in this world there's 2 kinds of people, my friend:
Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

(in reply to Les_the_Sarge_9_1)
Post #: 61
- 3/18/2002 7:49:16 PM   
Royal Warwicks

I picked my handle, because I live in Warwickshire but also my father served in the Royal Warwicks in the big bash landing in France on D-Day+1. He's still around at 79, loves talking army with my brother in law who served six years in the French Foreign Legion as a Paratrooper.

It only hurts if they hit you!

Post #: 62
- 3/18/2002 11:17:57 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

I guess I am the opposite of a Troll then.

Most people that know me know that I am no dang different in real life than I am online (not sure that is good or bad though).

I only come here for the same reason I show up where I do in 3d land. People interest me.

When someone bad mouths me I don't usually get angry. Quite the opposite normally. I feel sorry for the person. Gee to bad that person could have been my friend. What a loss:) (their loss).

I was at a friends wedding recently. Best man commented to me, "ya know Les, half the wedding party wouldn't be here if you didn't make a habit of talking to complete strangers when you had nothing better to do". I had chatted up the best man once while in a hobby store, just cause I felt like finding a new friend at the time. Same with the Groom. I just pick people at random to talk with some days.

I am not proud nor brilliant nor great looking or rich. Heck I dont even have a job let alone a real job (I work as a househusband, although the pay is irregular I enjoy getting paid more than you guys do I bet).
I have often wondered exactly what it is that I possess that makes people like me. I still have no concrete answers.

But this forum has been a smash hit with me. I have met and chatted with a lot of people about all manner of things (occasionally even Steel Panthers hehe).
Its true that I dont go into Art of Wargamming. Ostensibly it is titled a place to meet etc. But the chat in there is, well, just to unfriendly. People are to serious. The skins seem to thin.

Its much more enjoyable in here.

My only difficulty so far on Matrix has been with people that havent mastered my language (and English is a rather big pain to master). I have had a few people mistook what I have said a few times. Either that, or they have accidentally defaulted to assuming Leslie is like a lot of people (says hateful things freely).

When I hurt a friends feelings it ruins my day.

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

Post #: 63
- 3/19/2002 12:42:41 AM   
Bing

Les - Not to be picky, but so far as having mastered the English language, only one person came close - a glovemaker's son from a small town in Elizabethan England. It is his USE of the language that separates Stratford Will from the others. How long ago was that?

The rest of us, being not quite as well equipped as Mr. S. in the language department, do the best we can. Butchering our fine language is very popular these days, we must come to understand as much. The barbarians are not only inside the gates, they are in control.

Bing

Post #: 64
- 3/19/2002 2:20:59 AM   
Belisarius

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Penetrator
[B]

Oh my, you can't imagine how warm you made my heart by taking interest in my little language, chilled as it is from this darn winter.

"Tölva" is of course a wholly remarkable word. It is derived from "Völva", meaning female soothsayer. The T comes from "tala" meaning number. So it is a soothsayer in numbers.

Ţyrla = Thyrla. It means "Whirler" - roughly.

Sjónvarp: "Sjón" = vision, "varp" = roughly broadcast, or rather simply "cast". So in english it would be "Visioncast".

Sími: It is an archaic word meaning string or rope, dead in its proper meaning for a long time. It has been given a new lease of life this way.

Some more:

Machine: Vél. It is a semi-archaic word meaning trickery or bad magic. How can a machine make things move? Why, by magic of course.

Laser: Leysir. From leysa = release. It refers to the way electrons are released inside the emitter.

Finally, my favorite word: "Ha".
You say it when you don't understand something, like "what". Unlike "what", it has no other meaning, is much easier to say, and less pointed. Often used when you just want a bit more time to think or give the other person a chance to clarify himself. [/B][/QUOTE]

Thank you so much for the language lesson! Thumbs up!

That's cool. About the Vél; how's it used? Alone, or in conjunction with other words? Would it be a difference between, e.g. a factory-floor lathe and a motorcycle?

Gotta leave the Tölva alone for a while and catch the news on the Sjónvarp. :D :D :D

Got StuG?

Post #: 65
- 3/19/2002 10:33:38 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

I guess English is potentially an "unmasterable" language in some respects.

Considering how it doesn't adhere to its own rules, and steals words from every other language out there.

English is definitely the slut dialect on the world stage.

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

Post #: 66
- 3/19/2002 11:27:47 AM   
Fallschirmjager

I dont really know what this topics about so Ill try to add something thoughtfull (itll probally come off worse than the August 1914 Russian offensive)

Ive been to many forums throught my short life (im quite a bit younger than the average crowd in here) and most of them ive lost interest in very quickly.
Even though ive been here less than 2 days I can see that this one is quiet different.
The ppl here are very dedicated to their craft, but beyond that are very kind helpful ppl. Most games today have a hardcore crowd that is very hard for newbies to break into. If anything this is why I resent online gaming as a whole. The ppl that play are unwilling to help newbies and unless you break into a game at the begining, the whole community as a whole can seem complex and the ppl wont give you the time of day if your an average player.
For some reason this one seems different, maybe its the age thing again. My generation is the internet generation. But I wonder if we are giving it a bad name by defiling it like I have mentioned it by hording it for ourselves.
I hope I can be better than most my age by actually having the good sense to keep my mouth at certain times and being more intelligent that the average teen.
Anyways this post isnt really going anywher so Ill wrap it up here.

btw I got my name because Germans are cool and the Airborne is cool so I put the 2 together and wa-la.

Post #: 67
- 3/19/2002 2:30:16 PM   
Penetrator

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Belisarius
[B]
About the Vél; how's it used? Alone, or in conjunction with other words? Would it be a difference between, e.g. a factory-floor lathe and a motorcycle?
[/B][/QUOTE]

;)

Both. Generic engine/machine, you call it vél. Another original word for engine: Hreyfill (literally "mover" - used for engines in moving contraptions - but pretty high brow) Then there are such things as:

Motorcycle: Vélhjól (usually mótorhjól - we have that word too, but less respectable);

Car engine: Bílvél;

Machine gun: Vélbyssa;

Typewriter: Ritvél;

And so on and so forth.
Another word you'll like:
Mobile phone: Gemsi (from GSM - literally "punk", or in vandrćđagemsi, "troublemaker")

I sense the conquest of the world by icelandic is on the verge of happening:)

Gentlemen, you can't fight in here, this is the war room!

Post #: 68
- 3/19/2002 5:59:27 PM   
Jody

Well Buddy My name is my name and I have copped flack all my life "JODY that's a girls name" but it's water off a ducks back.

My Mum told me she saw a movie in the 60's with an American Actor called Jody Lawrence and she liked it so much she called her first born it. And Boy did i cop it when I enlisted in the Army.

I allso Go by the Name of The Eel it is to do with my Favorite Rugby League Team "The Parramatta Eels"

Well M8 hope you like all the Replies to your post I really enjoy seeing how people came by their names.

Jody:D :D

"Up the Gut's, Heaps Of Smoke Don't Spare The Casualties"

Post #: 69
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI