Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

A Month of Blahs

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> A Month of Blahs Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
A Month of Blahs - 4/19/2008 6:42:43 PM   
John 3rd

April 1943 has proven to be utterly boring! 

CV Raid
I had hoped that my CV raid NE of Hawaii would liven things up but that proved for naught when Dan spotted one of my Jakes and sent the ENTIRE American Fleet out to check.  It might have been fun to 7 CV and 2 CVL fight it out with at least 5 American CVs but he was much closer to a real port then I was.  Showing that I am not STUPIDLY aggressive, I pulled back.

Now I look for another place to raid.  Since I have taken the vast majority of the map, I am not quite sure where I can stage a carrier raid.  My CVEs have taken up a blocking position between NZ and Sydney/Melbourne so we shall see if that catchs anything.  Options:

1.  I've been thinking about sending a group of carrier from Pago Pago up the eastern edge of the board towards Hawaii and see if I can bag anything.

2.  The Indian Ocean could prove interesting.  My raid with 3 CVs did fairly well there in January 43.

3.  Could my a TF up to Dutch Harbor and prowl the Gulf of Alaska down to the NW USA.

China
Dan continues to move units westward as to threaten Hanoi.  I am not too concerned since there are 3 Inf Div plus support units present there.

I am going over the offensive in southern China once my massive reinforcement wave hit about June 15th.  Those 7+ Inf Div--plus what I have in the Canton area--will make a formidable attack force of 14 Inf Div!  Dan wants to fight here and I am tired of reacting to him.  It is time to reverse that. 

On a more practical angle, I need to clear out those southern Chinese AF because he is staging B-25s out of Pakhoi and elsewhere.  They launch occasional raids against my convoys and are OFFICIALLY annoying.

Burma
I will try to knock his troops out of that hex to the east of Rangoon.  Recon shows 16 units that can only be Chinese and/or Indian.  I will drop off my attack force about May 10th and fling it as well as the other Inf Div that have been resting there across the river in an all-out attack.  This attack should be over 3,000 Assault Points strong.  Since I command the air, I should be able to add the weight of 200 bombers into the attack and we'll see what can be done.  I would like--at a minimum--to drive Dan up to Meiktila and, possibly, as far as Mandalay.  Rangoon's AS has risen to 2,500 and can attempt a breakout once I move from Moulmein.

Outer Perimeter
Since I have reinforced New Caledonia, I feel that the Outer Defense line is finished.  I am working to concentrate two mobile reserves at Kwajalein and Rabaul.  Each will be about 2 Inf Div strong with shipping disbanded and ready.

Australia is ready for a gradual withdrawl.  All I want to keep is NW Australia for the long run; however, since dan is showing no desire to attack out from Sydney and Melbourne, I will keep as much of the continent as possible and benefit from the resources and heavy industry that I possess there.

Inner Perimeter
I am moving a bunch of Construction Battalions and Engineering Regiments to the Marcus, Marianas, Paula arc of islands and atolls.  They will begin to serious working of getting Forts and AF up and ready.

That massive reinforcement date for China also brings 6-8 Brigades for the Pacific.  I will move those units out to begin the building up of those bases into fortresses.

Just got a turn in from Dan so I will jump on it.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 241
RE: A Month of Blahs - 4/19/2008 9:52:09 PM   
Lameduck

If you raid into the Indian Ocean, do you think you could catch the British fleet? If you could cripple the RN, it could limit Allied options later, and maybe prevent Allied attacks into Sumatra or Java. Also, I think you would be a lot more successful against a couple of British CV's than a horde of Americans defended by Hellcats.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 242
RE: A Month of Blahs - 4/20/2008 12:29:23 AM   
ny59giants

DON'T go raiding!!  It is time to let him come to you. You said a while back that your fuel reserves were not what you wanted, build them back up. "IF" your raiding party gets into trouble, your ships are a long way away from a sizable port to save them. He is getting Hellcats now in this mod This will somewhat off set your Zeros experience factor.
He will get his re-spawned CVs soon and without you knowing when, your risking your CV only to satisfy your boredom.

(in reply to Lameduck)
Post #: 243
RE: A Month of Blahs - 4/20/2008 12:50:45 AM   
USSAmerica

quote:

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

Options:

1.  I've been thinking about sending a group of carrier from Pago Pago up the eastern edge of the board towards Hawaii and see if I can bag anything.

2.  The Indian Ocean could prove interesting.  My raid with 3 CVs did fairly well there in January 43.

3.  Could my a TF up to Dutch Harbor and prowl the Gulf of Alaska down to the NW USA.

Hi John, of these 3 options, I think you could score the most enemy shipping in the Indian Ocean, particularly if you were able to slip past Ceylon into the Western IO. Dan must really be cranking the supplies over from Aden, and you could probably squash some of them. Since you control most of the Pacific in the eastern half of the map, it's likely that Dan is sending most of his shipping to Hawaii, to build up for a massive offensive. Not a lot of other places for him to send supplies, etc. Based on your earlier adventure here, it's probably too hot for your KB to try this area.

All of that said, ny59 is right. If your fuel situation is not much improved from earlier, it would likely not be worth the risk.

How's that for a fancy way of saying, "I have no good advice?"

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 244
RE: A Month of Blahs - 4/20/2008 4:40:28 AM   
John 3rd

Yet once again the 3 of you give me good laughs and humor!

I am getting ready to do my end-of-April monthly summary and will see what my fuel status is.  I think it will be OK but I have at sea two convoys right now with over 225,000 Oil in them.  THAT is a substantial quantity for the Home Isles. 

The High Command agrees that the IO would be the best place to raid; however, the fear of an accident is foremost on their minds.  Beating the Royal Navy would be nice but I know the moment a significant portion of the Japanese CV Fleet appears then Dan will know that he can attack in the Pacific due to distance...

'Tis a puzzlement...'

PS I get A6M5s in September but--more importantly--Hellcats scare me...

< Message edited by John 3rd -- 4/20/2008 4:42:14 AM >

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 245
VP and Industrial Report--May 1943 - 4/20/2008 8:40:42 AM   
John 3rd

May 1, 1943
Victory Points and Economic Summary

Victory Points:

Score
Japan   41,182  (Up 350 Points)
Allies    14,506  (Up 359 Points)

Talk about a dead month!  Between us, we only accounted for a little over 700 victory points…

Ships Sunk
Japan   320—2,545 VP (up 43)—Only 7 ships (0 warship lost) sunk during March.  Exact losses were:  5 AK, 1 MSW, and 1 PT. 

Major Japanese Vessels Sunk to Date---BB Fuso and Yamashiro, BC Kirishima, CAs Kinugasa and Kako, 5 CL, 26 DD (12 Modern DD lost), and 19 SS (15 I-Boats and 4 Ro-).

Allies    537---6,758 VP (up 13)---Dan only lost 2 ships.  Totals for the month were:  1 AK and KXVIII.

Major Allied Vessels Sunk---CVs Enterprise, Lexington, Hornet, and Wasp, BBs Colorado, West Virginia, Idaho, Tennessee, and Prince of Wales, 9 CA, 7 CL, 49 DD, and 11 SS.

Manchukuo Garrison---8,229---Up 66---(8,000 Needed)
Political Points---2,179

Units Transferred: 
Tokyo              52nd Infantry Division to 4th Fleet
                        50th, 55th, 68th Construction Btn to 4th Fleet

Industrial Report
Supply              2,401,732
Fuel                  950,734
Manpower       857 (1,086,649)
Heavy Industry 15,108 (1,844)
Resources        20,773 (2,270,862)
Oil                    2077 (593,437)

The fuel situation has reached critical.  I have two large Convoys headed for Japan, as this is written, containing nearly 225,000 oil.  Additionally nearly 125,000 resources are also at sea.  This SHOULD serve to massively bump up my stocks.  The fleet—barring action—will sit as much as possible this month.

Shipyards
Naval               1,366 (24)
Merchant          981 (9)
Repair              1,508

Battleships
Musashi (202 Days) halted.
Ise (132 Days)   
Hyuga (141 Days)

Carriers
Unryu (91 Days)--Accelerated
Amagi (167 Days)--Accelerated
Katsuragi (484 Days).   
CVL Chitose (160 Days)--Accelerated
CVL Chiyoda (204 Days)--Accelerated

Upgraded Hiyo/Junyo, and 3 CVL this month.  Have several badly damaged ships almost repaired.

Weapons
Armament        572 (75,097)
Vehicles           171 (1,195)

Saw improvement within stocks this month.  Need to see this level of increase for May as well since I have those China and Home Island reinforcements coming in during early-June.

Aircraft
Engines 2,024
Assembly         1,175+(827-Rd)

Added nearly 100 engines and saw growth in aircraft production as well as research.

Engine Production
Mitsubishi         610/Month—Need 293—1,877 in Pool
Nakajima         1,194(105)—Need 1,224---0 in Pool
Kawasaki         200---Need 190---70 in Pool
Aichi                20---Need 0---266 in Pool

Should get ahead of the engine game with Nakajima’s this month.  My Kawasaki’s are now producing nicely and I did not have much cushion to spare!

Plane Production
Fighters            Planes/Month (in Pool)
A6M2  0 (108)
A6M3  96 (12)
A6M3a  167 (1)
Oscar   0 (402)
Oscar IIa 58 (14)
Tojo     76 (3)
Tony    190 (204)
Jack     103-R (10/43)

Start catching up with my fighter production.  The whole Zero category has issues.  This should rectify itself during May.  My Jacks crossed the 100+ Research line but I did not get the month advancement!  Darn…

Bombers
Betty    34 (326)
Sally     0
Helen   181 (8)
Lily       112 (0)
Nick-a 27 (0)
Nick-b 12 (6)
Val       32 (486)—Shutting this line down and shifting it to Kates.
Kate     57 (100)

I replaced a lot of lost bombers in April.  I took very few losses and have managed to get my Daitai and Sentai back to—more or less—full strength.  The units I disbanded in March and April are starting to reform in the Home Islands.  This will probably take another month’s production to fill them out as well.

Recon/Float
Emily    20 (53)
Alf        5 (36)
Pete     0  (68)
Pete A  0  (53)
Rufe     0 (9)
Glen     4 (39)
Dinah   0 (11)
Irving-R 35 (0)
Irving-S 23 (1)
Jake     8 (73)
Babs    0 (108)

Am running low on several recon planes and am having to watch this area for the first time. 

Transports
Tina      10 (24)
Sally     5 (28)
Topsy   20 (17)
Mavis-L 5 (21)
Tabby 10 (56)

Have replenished nearly all my transport units and will keep production rolling for another month or two.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 246
RE: VP and Industrial Report--May 1943 - 4/20/2008 6:16:53 PM   
saj42

your oil and fuel stocks (incl that at sea) are rather low - compared to resource/supply - for this stage of the game.

how damaged were the major oil centres when you captured them? could that have hampered building up the stockpiles?

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 247
RE: VP and Industrial Report--May 1943 - 4/20/2008 6:37:21 PM   
Q-Ball

Tallyho!'s question is excellent, and I'm looking forward to the answer. I am also playing Japan as Big B, I am at 6/43.

(Hemajor, stop reading if you are!!!)

I was very fortunate to capture alot of Oil and Resources undamaged, and maybe that is the difference, because I have over 130K HI stockpiled, over 3K engines, despite producing 500 fighters a month. Fuel isn't a problem, though you have done better than I did in terms of territory, so you are likely burning alot more.

It's tough to produce enough Nakas. I noticed the Sally and Helen aren't very different, so I kept Sally in production as they use Mitsu engines, and the Helen uses Naka. You have 100 more lines going than I do in Helen, which burns an extra 200 engines a month. Maybe that is the difference. I have not noticed a big performance difference between the two (they both sort of suck).

I put most of my fighter production on the Tojo. I think Tony is 1% better, but the Tojo a) uses a Naka, so extra engines can be used elsewhere, unlike Kawa, and b) the Tojo auto-upgrades to the Frank (very useful!) while the Tony auto-upgrades to more Tonys (not so useful). Tony strikes me as a production dead-end.

I noticed you halted BB Musashi. I debated that one. She burns alot of points, but it is a useful ship. I went ahead and built her, and didn't have problems elsewhere with accelerated CV's, though my sub production did suffer. I did halt Shinano, that's a no-brainer.

I am debating now what to do with the late IJN CV's. What do you think? I want to catch-up on sub production, and I wonder if late arriving CV's are just point-fodder. I have Katsuragi accelerated to a late '43 or so arrival, but the other late ones (Ikoma, Aso,), can't arrive until mid '44 or so, and Ibuki I think isn't worth it. I also don't think much of the 8 or 12 cap CVE's, I suppose they would make good bomb magnets in a last gasp.

Any thoughts are good, I think we are about the same point production-wise, trying to get the Empire ready for the onslaught.

(in reply to saj42)
Post #: 248
RE: VP and Industrial Report--May 1943 - 4/21/2008 1:24:03 AM   
John 3rd

Tallyho hits the nail on the head.  Palembang was nearly totaled as well as Balikpapan.  Those bases are only now coming up to full production.  Considering that Dan appears to be highly agressive with his SS, this could pose major problems by not having large stockpiles currently.  I'll continue to monitor and see what happens.  If I see a real increase with the June Production Report then I won't be as concerned...

Q-Ball always remember that your CVEs come off of merchant shipyards.  That helps a bit and they CAN be useful.  You make a very good point about Sallys and Helens.  Perhaps I will reopen a Sally line so I can take the strain off of my Nakajima production issues.

I agree about Tony/Tojo but I tend to like the Tony much more.  That Tojo autoupgrade to Frank is nice but that is a LONG way away right now.  Have to think about increasing the Tojo some since my Tony stockpile is over 200 right now.  To augment my upcoming China Offensive, I am going to buy all the Fighters in Manchuria and move them into China.  The addition of nearly 300 Fighters should come as a rude surprise to Dan!  Probably do more of a 50-50 mix of Tojo and Tony.

What I REALLY want are Jacks and M5s but they are still a few months away from production...

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 249
RE: VP and Industrial Report--May 1943 - 4/21/2008 1:51:19 AM   
USSAmerica

Dauym, John!  You did all of this with trashed oil production at Palembang and Balikpapan???  

I'm amazed that you have a drop of fuel left anywhere. 

Mike

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 250
Palembang and Balikpapan - 4/21/2008 2:45:14 AM   
John 3rd

Yes--I did manage to do all this with that situation.  Problem is I cannot get them repaired fast enough.  I wish this game allowed you to station engineers into a location to help it repair...

I am approaching summer 1943 with a fuel crisis looming.  I think that I will HAVE to keep the Fleet stationary and see what happens to my stocks. 

Galls me "to come all this way and simply run out of fuel."  Who said that? 

< Message edited by John 3rd -- 4/21/2008 2:58:28 AM >

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 251
RE: Palembang and Balikpapan - 4/21/2008 6:37:14 PM   
saj42

So once the redeployment of troops out of Oz is completed, you can cut back on TF movements and fuel expenditure.
I suppose you have most of your TKs moving oil and a large number of AKs moving fuel out of the DEI?
When playing Japan I never had enough TKs

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 252
RE: Palembang and Balikpapan - 4/21/2008 7:44:33 PM   
John 3rd

I just checked out Palembang and saw that it is still operating at only 50% capacity (344 still damaged).

I am currently pulling out a large number of Aviation and Engineering assets from Australia.  Once this is complete I can rest my convoys some. 

There is a good number of TK running around right now dropping off fuel at my major bases.  When they return to the Home Islands, I will send them to the DEI.  There are no large stockpiles of oil anywhere in the DEI at the moment.  My TKs have managed to keep moving everything that has been produced.

The Fleet is fairly static right now.  About 60% of the Kaigun is at Kwajalein doing nothing.  I have a large Fleet continent at Tokyo Bay where they have finished upgrading and doing damage repair.  The only real operational TF are the CVEs operating between NZ and Aussieland and the BB Bombardment TF at Rangoon.  Everything else is sitting...

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to saj42)
Post #: 253
RE: Palembang and Balikpapan - 4/21/2008 9:19:24 PM   
Q-Ball

quote:

I just checked out Palembang and saw that it is still operating at only 50% capacity (344 still damaged).

I'm impressed, that's alot of damage you did with that kind of handicap this late.

Did you repair Resources first, or Oil? I think repairing Resources is the first priority, because they also produce supply, which you need to repair Oil. And other resources. I also think the production bottleneck is NOT Oil for Japan, it is Resources. Though, it's easier as Allies to restrict Oil flow by sinking TK's (pretty much impossible to sink enough AK's to impact Resource moves).

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 254
RE: Palembang and Balikpapan - 4/22/2008 4:46:49 AM   
John 3rd

I have let everything repair at its own rate.  The resources are now fully fixed but oil is continuing to slowly heal itself.  Drives one nuts when I cannot order units to expedite the repair of the facilities.  In a real like situation, this would be been ordered immediately...

Things continue along right now throughout the Pacific. 

I have at least 20 units moving throughout the ocean.  Most of them are Construction Battalions and small Base Forces going to their new bases along the Inner Perimeter. 

The Army being sent to relieve Rangoon has rounded the bend along the Maly Coast heading into Burma.  It should arrive at Moulmein about May 13th.  Once there, I will let it rest some and then launch an all-out assult against Dan's units east of Rangoon.  There will be over 3,000 Assault Points in the attack.  Moulmein just raised its AF up to 5 and there will be 50 more bombers moved into the base for the attack.  Rangoon has room for an additional 50 planes and I will fill it to the maximum.  The remaining overflow will be taken up by Tavoy.  All three AF will then support the attack.

On May 6th I spotted a convoy arrving at laysen Island SE of Midway.  I ordered the Betty and Zero Escorts to attackl on the 7th.  In two nice raids VERY good things happened! 

1.  The morning attack of 23 Zero and 35 Betty went in against 12 F4F and 13 F6F--my first sighting of Hellcats--and they blew their way through them!  I lost 4 Zero but they shot down 3 F4F and 1 F6F.  In go the Bettys!  Showing that they haven't lost their skills, the Betty pilots pick an escort Surface Action Group and bore in on USS Arizoma.  Conducting a classic Hammer and Anvil, the Arizona cannot escape.  SIX TT slam into the Battleship and DOWN SHE GOES!  For the cost of 5 Betty the Americans lose and old BB.  BANZAI! 

2.  An afternoon attack of 29 Zero escorting 8 Betty run into similar numbers of CAP.  This run is rougher in that the Japanese lose 12 Zero and 4 Betty for 6 F4F/2 F6F.  The remaining 4 Betty slam a pair of TT into an AP.

Finished for that day, I order in 2 Daitai of Betty and 1 Sentai of Oscar II from Kwajalein hoping for more sinkings.  Alas, no luck, Dan has withdrawn leaving a unit at Laysen.  There are a couple of PTs there as well and I will sink them before staging a counter landing to kill the probable Construction unit he has left there...

Hey--I got a BB and 12 Fighters for a cost of 16 Zero and 9 Betty.  That isn't too bad...

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 255
RE: Palembang and Balikpapan - 4/22/2008 5:08:54 AM   
ny59giants

But he only lost 3 Hellcats. Once he gets enough of them to upgrade his old Wildcats, your in trouble. 
The loss of the old BB will only hurt when it comes to being part of his floating artillery.

I know your over-emphasis on the sinking of the BB covers up your concern on how well the Hellcats stood up to your Zeros.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 256
RE: Palembang and Balikpapan - 4/22/2008 5:55:28 PM   
John 3rd

Ahhh but you forget my good and loyal reader that is MAY 1943 and I am SUPPOSED to be in trouble!  Sinking Arizona is 200 more Victory Points. 

I have a little surprise coming up from Kwajalein if Dan sticks around Laysen.  A Surface TF and 5 CV are about to make their presense known to the American shipping around that location...

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 257
RE: Palembang and Balikpapan - 4/22/2008 7:33:32 PM   
USSAmerica

quote:

Ahhh but you forget my good and loyal reader that is MAY 1943 and I am SUPPOSED to be in trouble!  Sinking Arizona is 200 more Victory Points. 

I have a little surprise coming up from Kwajalein if Dan sticks around Laysen.  A Surface TF and 5 CV are about to make their presense known to the American shipping around that location...

I have to agree that sinking an Allied BB in May, '43 is worth crowing about just a bit. It seems Dan may have been a bit overconfident in his F6F's.

Mike

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 258
Midway Action - 4/23/2008 12:21:17 AM   
John 3rd

Mike--I concur with your thought.  Probably thought that those planes are AMAZING!  Hee-Hee...

Midway Area
On May 11th, my Surface TF arrived at Laysen to cause trouble and encountered those USELESS PT-Boats that all Allied Players love.  Darned things are more effective in this game then they EVER were in real life.  OK--I am whining! 

My STF was 2 CA, 2 CL, and 5 DD versus two groups of 6 PT:
Round 1:  In the first fight, my TF sank 2 PT and damaged a 3rd while two DDs each took 1 TT.
Round 2:  I get surprise but only sink 1 PT in exchange for losing DD Oyashio.  I had to scuttle DD Akigumo the next turn.  Grrr...

On the 12th, my Carrier TF slips into the water 2 hexes SE of Midway.  Dan's PTs are all that they spot for the day.  Towards evening, the Commander of the USS Pickerel gives Admiral Nagumo a heart attack as 4 Torps barely miss the band new IJN Taiho!  Luckily she was able to turn hard enough to Port to screw-up the American firing solution!

In Burma...
The Japanese relief convoy of nearly 70,000 troops from 4 Divisions and a HQ Unit will begin unloading at Moulmein on May 13th.  The long anticipated Japanese counter-offensive in Burma is close at hand!

I am moving fighters and bombers into the area around Moulmein in preparation for the attack.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 259
RE: Palembang and Balikpapan - 4/23/2008 1:12:01 AM   
rominet

quote:

ORIGINAL: Q-Ball

quote:

I'm impressed, that's alot of damage you did with that kind of handicap this late.

Did you repair Resources first, or Oil? I think repairing Resources is the first priority, because they also produce supply, which you need to repair Oil. And other resources. I also think the production bottleneck is NOT Oil for Japan, it is Resources. Though, it's easier as Allies to restrict Oil flow by sinking TK's (pretty much impossible to sink enough AK's to impact Resource moves).

Sorry, i don't agree.

When you repair 1 resources center, you have in addition per day:
1.25 resource point and 1 supply point.
If you have enough HI factories and oil, the 1.25 resource point will give you 1.25 supply point, 1.25 fuel point (if port) and 1.25 HI point;
so the total is 2.25 supply point, 1.25 fuel point and 1.25 HI point in addition per day.

Now, if you choose to repair oil center first, you will have in addition per day:
6 oil points and 1 fuel point (if port)
Again, if you have enough HI factories and resource, the 6 oil points will give you
6 supply points, 6 fuel points (if port) and 6 HI points;
so the total is 6 supply points, 7 fuel points (if port) and 6 HI points in addition per day.

It is better.

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 260
RE: Palembang and Balikpapan - 4/23/2008 1:45:46 AM   
John 3rd

Thank you Rominet and welcome to the AAR.

I will make an inspection of all my Fuel/Resource Centers and see where they are at.  Checked Palembang a few turns ago and saw that there were still about 245 damaged supply points.  Will check around and see the status of my other Ports...

Never have thought of the difference between Resource and Oil production like you describe.  It is a compelling argument.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to rominet)
Post #: 261
RE: Midway Action - 4/23/2008 3:05:22 AM   
Big B

quote:

On May 11th, my Surface TF arrived at Laysen to cause trouble and encountered those USELESS PT-Boats that all Allied Players love. Darned things are more effective in this game then they EVER were in real life. OK--I am whining!

My STF was 2 CA, 2 CL, and 5 DD versus two groups of 6 PT:
Round 1: In the first fight, my TF sank 2 PT and damaged a 3rd while two DDs each took 1 TT.
Round 2: I get surprise but only sink 1 PT in exchange for losing DD Oyashio. I had to scuttle DD Akigumo the next turn. Grrr...

I know no Japanese player likes PT's - but don't feel too bad John, as compared to history you are doing ok with them, consider -
quote:

PT BOAT LOSSES IN WWII
Out of 531 PTs placed in US Navy service, 69 were lost: 5 - destroyed by enemy surface ship gunfire; 1 - rammed by enemy ship; 1 - rammed enemy ship; 1 - enemy aircraft strafing; 4 - enemy bombings; 2 - kamikaze attacks; 5 - enemy shore batteries; 4 - enemy mines; 1 - damaged by enemy fire then destroyed; 2 - lost in transit, tanker torpedoed by enemy. Total: 26 lost by enemy action.

Additional losses: 18 - grounded in enemy waters and destroyed to prevent capture; 3 - destroyed to prevent capture; 3 - destroyed by US aircraft; 2 - destroyed by Australian aircraft; 2 - destroyed by US ships; 1 - destroyed by enemy shore fire or wild shot from US warship; 5 - grounded/destroyed outside enemy waters or in storms; 6 - fire or explosion in port; 3 - collisions. Total: 43 lost by accidents, friendly fire or sea conditions.

Above figures do not include fates of Lend-Lease boats.

http://www.ptboats.org/20-12-05-trivia-001.html#anchor12-9

For that total, PT's sank four DD's and torpedoed a CL (dud, in the PI in 1942)...as best as I can remember reading. So it seems that they torpedoed or sunk a Japanese warship for about the same number as got sunk by Japanese warships during the war...although both totals were small.

B

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 262
RE: Midway Action - 4/23/2008 3:20:53 AM   
ny59giants

I'll keep my PT boats until I don't have to face the Japanese BB/CA TF that can come in and bombardment my base and be 5 hexes away for the next air phase and thus beyond any Allied TB range.

At least in RHS the Allies get the Beauforts with torpedo carrying range over 6 along with a few special B-25s.
However, the damn Betty's can carry out to 19 hexes.

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 263
RE: Midway Action - 4/23/2008 6:08:35 AM   
rominet

quote:

ORIGINAL: Big B

I know no Japanese player likes PT's - but don't feel too bad John, as compared to history you are doing ok with them, consider -
quote:

PT BOAT LOSSES IN WWII
Out of 531 PTs placed in US Navy service, 69 were lost: 5 - destroyed by enemy surface ship gunfire; 1 - rammed by enemy ship; 1 - rammed enemy ship; 1 - enemy aircraft strafing; 4 - enemy bombings; 2 - kamikaze attacks; 5 - enemy shore batteries; 4 - enemy mines; 1 - damaged by enemy fire then destroyed; 2 - lost in transit, tanker torpedoed by enemy. Total: 26 lost by enemy action.

Additional losses: 18 - grounded in enemy waters and destroyed to prevent capture; 3 - destroyed to prevent capture; 3 - destroyed by US aircraft; 2 - destroyed by Australian aircraft; 2 - destroyed by US ships; 1 - destroyed by enemy shore fire or wild shot from US warship; 5 - grounded/destroyed outside enemy waters or in storms; 6 - fire or explosion in port; 3 - collisions. Total: 43 lost by accidents, friendly fire or sea conditions.

Above figures do not include fates of Lend-Lease boats.

http://www.ptboats.org/20-12-05-trivia-001.html#anchor12-9

For that total, PT's sank four DD's and torpedoed a CL (dud, in the PI in 1942)...as best as I can remember reading. So it seems that they torpedoed or sunk a Japanese warship for about the same number as got sunk by Japanese warships during the war...although both totals were small.

B

Hum, 4 DD and 1 CL sunk during all the war due to PT boats???
it seems these are the japanese losses for only one engagement against a dozen of PT boats in WitP without exagerate a lot.

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 264
Resources and Oil - 4/23/2008 10:30:13 PM   
John 3rd

Dan is in Atlanta for most of the day and now that the boys are sleeping, I intend to update the AAR.

On the subject of resources and oil, I went around the various ports/facilities and found that everything is operating at full strength execpt Palembang and Balikpapan.  The smaller facilities are good but take a look at this:

Palembang
Resources  655 of 900 Operational
Oil  297 of 600 Operational

Balikpapan
Resources  297 of 600 Operational
Oil  88 of 300 Operational

I don't remember those bases being so badly damaged but here we are in April 1943.

I've decided to take off NO resources at these bases and let them repair at a faster rate.  Additionally, I will shut off the Resource repair and emphasize Oil.

< Message edited by John 3rd -- 4/23/2008 10:31:44 PM >

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to rominet)
Post #: 265
Burma Choices - 4/23/2008 10:45:52 PM   
John 3rd

Burma Counter-Offensive
Planning Questions

I need the various and most talented WitP strategists to provide me some imput on my upcoming Burmese assault.

Option 1--River Assault

There are 3,200 Assault Points of Japanese Troops in Moulmein right now with nearly 60,000 supply backing them up. The thought is to Shock Attack across the river to the NW and hit Dan's units sitting there. There are 19 units of Chinese/Indian type sitting in that hex.

Dan has instituted a CAP of about 18 P-38 over this hex. I can easily sweep it away but it is obvious that he knows what I am thinking.

Option 2--Breakout

Move most of the troops at Moulmein and add them to the 2,500 AP in Rangoon. This would raise my AP to nearly 5,500. Dan's seige is currently being conducted by 5,200 AS worth of strength. There are 2 Brit Inf Div, some tanks, and a lot of Indian/Chinese infantry.

While being 1-1 in totals, I do have complete aerial supremacy here as well as control of the sea. I could Bombard the hex and hit it with 250 bombers every day in conjunction with an attack.

These are the two choices.

He is at the end of a long supply tether and one would think that they might be rather short.

Need some thoughts and options people! What do you think?

I am including the current turn's screenshot.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by John 3rd -- 4/23/2008 10:48:32 PM >

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 266
RE: First Screen Shot! - 4/23/2008 10:54:36 PM   
Jzanes

I'd say, move everything to Rangoon and try to breakout.  Then send most of your force up the Rangoon-Magwe road and force him to withdraw or be flanked.  Send just enough troops into the hex east of Rangoon to keep him pinned (3-4 divisions maybe?)  I don't think you'll be able to push him out of the jungle hex east of Rangoon.

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 267
Burma Choices - 4/23/2008 11:01:20 PM   
John 3rd

Good Ideas!

More please???

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to Jzanes)
Post #: 268
China, China, China - 4/23/2008 11:10:30 PM   
John 3rd

China Planning
May 1943

Dan choose to make China an active Theatre and I intend to make him pay for that. I am one month from massive reinforcements within this area and plan to put them to good use.

Yenan Attack
I am planning to attack this city as a diversion to draw Dan's eyes northward while I prepare for the real assault to the south. Since he only has 5 units there, there might a real possiblity that an army of 1,500 Assault Points COULD take the city.

Hanoi Diversion
As Yenan calms down, I will move the 4 Inf Div and support units out from Hanoi's Forts and try to draw Dan out of his city. If possible, I want to provoke him so I can get those Vietminh Divisions for reinforcements.

Wuchow Assault
The hammer will fall here in a massive manner. I foresee nearly 500,000 troops particpating in the attack. It shoud be awesome to see!

The goal is to keep Dan from withdrawing more troops from China and placing them in Burma as well as take some real Chinese objectives. If I can take Wuchow then I want to move on the rest of the southern Chinese cities to keep his B-25s from hitting my convoys moving between the Home Islands and DEI.

Here is the current screenshot:

Attachment (1)

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 269
RE: China, China, China - 4/24/2008 5:27:37 AM   
Big B

What I posted on CR's AAR - just so you know I'm not playing favorites or giving info or tips...
quote:

ORIGINAL:  Big B

I'll be damned if this isn't one of the most unusual and interesting AAR's (I mean games) that I have ever seen.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 270
Page:   <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> A Month of Blahs Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI