Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How Come

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> How Come Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How Come - 3/21/2002 2:41:42 PM   
black_feather

I'm playing the normandy campaign as the British and I found I can buy elefants :confused: how can I turn this off?

Thanks

"People say hard work never hurt anyone, I say why take the chance."
Post #: 1
- 3/21/2002 7:43:56 PM   
Warrior2

Turn off your purchasing finger. In other words, don't buy them. :D

(in reply to black_feather)
Post #: 2
Re: How Come - 3/22/2002 8:28:13 AM   
panda124c

[QUOTE]Originally posted by black_feather
[B]I'm playing the normandy campaign as the British and I found I can buy elefants :confused: how can I turn this off?

Thanks [/B][/QUOTE]

Are they Afican Elephants or Indian Elephants? If they are African just don't buy them, Indian Elephants maybe they are with the Indian Commonwealth Units. They are great for moving those AT guns around. :D

Sorry my humor go the better of me.

Post #: 3
Re: Re: How Come - 3/22/2002 12:17:10 PM   
Bernie

[QUOTE]Originally posted by pbear
[B]

Are they Afican Elephants or Indian Elephants? If they are African just don't buy them, Indian Elephants maybe they are with the Indian Commonwealth Units. They are great for moving those AT guns around. :D

Sorry my humor go the better of me. [/B][/QUOTE]

You know how those British are...never throw anything away. I'll bet they're African elephants mothballed (and don't ask how to mothball an elephant...it ain't pretty) from the Boer Wars...

What, me worry?

Post #: 4
- 3/23/2002 12:49:35 AM   
Iñaki

Never mind about the presence of your own elephants (both, indian and african know their duty). Your problem will begin if you face those evil German Mice Squads. Only one coul rout all your attacking elephant company.
Sorry, couldn´t stand temptation.;)

Lepoan hartu ´ta segi aurrera

Post #: 5
- 3/23/2002 1:34:09 AM   
Bing

"Are they Afican Elephants or Indian Elephants? If they are African just don't buy them, Indian Elephants maybe they are with the Indian Commonwealth Units. They are great for moving those AT guns around. "

Which one has the bigger ears? I always forget - you want the one with the biggest ears because they can hear the mice coming farther off.

P.S. I once knew a tool and die man named Klaus. I always thought he was in the wrong busines: He should have been making small habitational gear for rodents - that would be "Klaus Maus Haus".

Bing

Post #: 6
- 3/23/2002 2:00:24 AM   
Bernie

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bing
[B]"Are they Afican Elephants or Indian Elephants? If they are African just don't buy them, Indian Elephants maybe they are with the Indian Commonwealth Units. They are great for moving those AT guns around. "

Which one has the bigger ears? I always forget - you want the one with the biggest ears because they can hear the mice coming farther off.

P.S. I once knew a tool and die man named Klaus. I always thought he was in the wrong busines: He should have been making small habitational gear for rodents - that would be "Klaus Maus Haus".

Bing [/B][/QUOTE]

Did you hear the one about the mixed company of Panthers, Tigers and Elephants commanded by Col. Klauns? Every battle they were in turned into a real three ring circus. I think his dad was part of Richtoffens squadren in WW I

What, me worry?

Post #: 7
- 3/23/2002 2:04:33 AM   
Svennemir

The African ones are the biggest and also have the biggest ears. (I think)

Remember to use ALT+O to overrun.

Post #: 8
- 3/23/2002 2:29:22 AM   
Bernie

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Svennemir
[B]The African ones are the biggest and also have the biggest ears. (I think)

Remember to use ALT+O to overrun. [/B][/QUOTE]

Yes, but those mice have the [I]melee[/I] command, which is Afrikannas for [I]"bite the elephants toes"[/I]

What, me worry?

Post #: 9
- 3/23/2002 3:40:33 AM   
Bing

Oh, my God! I never even thought about overrun with elephants - if someone can do an appropriate sound file I WANT it.

Ammo canisters for elephants = Duece and a half of peanuts? Who carries the shovel?

Bing

Post #: 10
- 3/23/2002 3:47:25 AM   
Fallschirmjager

This thread has turned into a Romans worst nightmare.

Post #: 11
- 3/23/2002 5:23:37 AM   
Bernie

[B]Oh, my God! I never even thought about overrun with elephants - if someone can do an appropriate sound file I WANT it.

Ammo canisters for elephants = Duece and a half of peanuts? Who carries the shovel?

Bing [/B][/QUOTE]

Your wish is my command! One elephant stampede WAV file coming up. (Thanks to the folks at SoundAmerica.com for the two files I blended to make this.)

Hmmm...okay, I can't attach a WAV file here. I'll change the extension to .TXT and you'll have to change it back to .WAV when you get the file.

What, me worry?

Post #: 12
- 3/23/2002 6:11:29 AM   
Bing

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bernie
[B]

Your wish is my command! One elephant stampede WAV file coming up. (Thanks to the folks at SoundAmerica.com for the two files I blended to make this.)

Hmmm...okay, I can't attach a WAV file here. I'll change the extension to .TXT and you'll have to change it back to .WAV when you get the file. [/B][/QUOTE]

Bernie, you are a genius. Now: There is only one elephant trumpet in the sound file - get at least one more in there. Then: Combine the elephant sound file with the screams of the overrun file and we really got sumpin'. Yoiu are on a solid track to the WAW Hall of Fame (or is it "Infamous"?).

Download worked fine, as did the renaming to .wav extension.

Who got the peanuts?? Who got the shovel??

Bing

Post #: 13
- 3/23/2002 1:29:41 PM   
Bernie

[B]

Bernie, you are a genius. Now: There is only one elephant trumpet in the sound file - get at least one more in there. Then: Combine the elephant sound file with the screams of the overrun file and we really got sumpin'. Yoiu are on a solid track to the WAW Hall of Fame (or is it "Infamous"?).

Download worked fine, as did the renaming to .wav extension.

Who got the peanuts?? Who got the shovel??

Bing [/B][/QUOTE]

Okay, ask and it is done. Sorry it took so long (been working on something related for about 5 hours now) but I think this will fit the bill.

Oh, and that other thing I mentioned I was working on...? Well, when you get a guy with a weird sense of humor, and 80,000+ WAV files in his collection, started on something like this well... You'll just have to hear it to believe it I think. Too big to put up here so I'll have to u/l it to my own server and you can get it from there. Try [url]www.occoffice.com/overrun.wav[/url] when your curiosity gets the better of you. :)

(Fair warning...the file on my site is 2.5mb):cool:

Sheesh...I should know better than to try to FTP with the flu. I mistyped the filename when I uploaded it to my server. All fixed now. Just crank up your volume, click the link up there and enjoy a 2 minute sound file of a [I]serious[/I] elephant overrun attack. :D

What, me worry?

Post #: 14
- 3/23/2002 8:35:15 PM   
Belisarius

Bernie, you are amazing!!

first one was OK, but in the last version you can REALLY imagine the chaos of stampeding elephants and men running in all directions!

It's a 10 on a 1 to 10 scale :D :D :D

Got StuG?

Post #: 15
- 3/23/2002 8:53:23 PM   
parusski

Warriors wit wins for best answer. Purchasing finger-hmm-my purchasing finger is sort of like my credit card-overused.

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

Post #: 16
- 3/23/2002 9:58:15 PM   
Bing

Bernie - You are the recipient of the "Young Tom Edison Award".

Now, that and $2.00 will get you on a CTA bus, all the same the second stampede file is a work of pure genius. Er ... couldn't you get those guys to yell louder??

Just kidding, this has been the most fun we've had since the hogs ate my little brother.

My mother thanks you, my father thanks you, my sister thanks you, if I had a brother he too would thank you.

Bing

Post #: 17
Donkeys Anyone? - 3/23/2002 10:04:40 PM   
Charles2222

We seem to have a propensity for animal jokes around here. And to think we haven't even had any focused on animal cruelty. I was a veteran of the AAA-laden donkey Taliban forces thread, so I thought I'd stay away a bit from this one, especially how everyone has ignored the real question asked, but, on 2nd thought I'll add soemthing.

Firstly and most importantly black_feather may want to delete his steel.prf file, reset his preferences and try again. Other than that I've never seen a game which allowed me to pick forces from another nation. bf might want to look out for having accidently hit the 'nation' key, and then having Germany as the nation selected, instead of then backing out, but if that were the case I would've thought he would've caught on and would've complained that instead of one German unit mixed in, he would have nothing but German stuff.

On the sound file, to really add the entire experience, and folks, this would be a first, since we don't have any sound files where the supply boys are given their due, such as a Tiger file with it fueling up (go to gas station and record some fueling, or to be more realistic to record it coming out of Gerry cans), moving a bit and then firing a round, but along the same lines, you could record the sound of a bag being opened, then the sound of someone eating something which we might imagine sounds like an Elephant eating peanuts (maybe the sound man eating Doritos) and then proceed to the overrun sounds).

Post #: 18
- 3/23/2002 10:29:34 PM   
Bing

Charles - Ma foi! - You sound like a supply man! Moi too -
Charlie Battery, 75th AAA MIssile Battalion, Waldorf, Maryland, SIR!!! VIP outfit - waxed and buffed concrete floors every day.

Hey - no beans, no bullets, no war.

Bing

Post #: 19
Ma Foi Back at You - 3/23/2002 10:54:14 PM   
Charles2222

Bing: Nah, though I am a mainframe computer operator who uses self-serve pumps, and being keen mostly on strategic games, I do tend to think in terms of supply more. Games without the possibility of supply being threatened can get pretty mundane after a while, eye-splitting graphics or not. My current supply on-the-job consists of Pemmican hickory-smoked beef jerky, perhaps being elephantile in nature.

Post #: 20
- 3/24/2002 1:53:28 AM   
Akmatov

Might one say elstmpde2. kicks ***? Hmm, now how do it slid this into SPWAW as the overrun .wav.

Post #: 21
- 3/24/2002 2:23:39 AM   
Bing

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Akmatov
[B]Might one say elstmpde2. kicks ***? Hmm, now how do it slid this into SPWAW as the overrun .wav. [/B][/QUOTE]

Somebody check the sound file documentation file - I'm busy right now or would do it. The overrun file might not be listed as such, but the doc ought to allow narrowing down the possibilities.

Bing

The file is in the sound folder.

Post #: 22
- 3/24/2002 5:29:47 AM   
Bernie

[B]Bernie - You are the recipient of the "Young Tom Edison Award".

Now, that and $2.00 will get you on a CTA bus, all the same the second stampede file is a work of pure genius. Er ... couldn't you get those guys to yell louder??

Just kidding, this has been the most fun we've had since the hogs ate my little brother.

My mother thanks you, my father thanks you, my sister thanks you, if I had a brother he too would thank you.

Bing [/B][/QUOTE]

Get them to yell louder? Have [B][I]YOU[/I][/B] ever tried yelling with a stampeding elephant standing on your chest? :)

What, me worry?

Post #: 23
Re: Donkeys Anyone? - 3/24/2002 5:33:17 AM   
Bernie

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Charles_22
[B]

On the sound file, to really add the entire experience, and folks, this would be a first, since we don't have any sound files where the supply boys are given their due, such as a Tiger file with it fueling up (go to gas station and record some fueling, or to be more realistic to record it coming out of Gerry cans), moving a bit and then firing a round, but along the same lines, you could record the sound of a bag being opened, then the sound of someone eating something which we might imagine sounds like an Elephant eating peanuts (maybe the sound man eating Doritos) and then proceed to the overrun sounds). [/B][/QUOTE]

With over 80,000 wavs in my collection, I can blend just about anything you might want. The question is, how and when would SPWAW play them? They'd, of course, have to be carefully coordinated with the unit movements.

What, me worry?

Post #: 24
- 3/24/2002 5:39:44 AM   
Bernie

[B]

Somebody check the sound file documentation file - I'm busy right now or would do it. The overrun file might not be listed as such, but the doc ought to allow narrowing down the possibilities.

Bing

The file is in the sound folder. [/B][/QUOTE]

No joy there... :( Mine is from v4.1 Nothing even close to an overrun listed.

What, me worry?

Post #: 25
- 3/24/2002 5:45:18 AM   
Bing

If you pay close attention you will find there is a relatonship between unit movement and actions and the sound files - but often not more than a casual one - i.e. not timed or truly synchronized.

Thus we get sound of motors running that stop before the unit is done with its movement. My favorite is during a horrendous firefight, motorcycles will start revving up and make a movement sound - when they are being absolutely blown apart.

Since the sounds are darn fine to begin with, this isn't really all that noticeable. There are other oddities, such as something that sounds a quick release of air - "Phffft!!", sharp and brief during bombardment by certain types of arty. I have no idea what it is supposed to be - I have a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz soundcard and Monsoon 1000 speaker system, so that isn't the cause - plus I have heard them with a entirely different sound setup.

Bing

Post #: 26
- 3/24/2002 5:54:17 AM   
Bernie

[B]If you pay close attention you will find there is a relatonship between unit movement and actions and the sound files - but often not more than a casual one - i.e. not timed or truly synchronized.

Thus we get sound of motors running that stop before the unit is done with its movement. My favorite is during a horrendous firefight, motorcycles will start revving up and make a movement sound - when they are being absolutely blown apart.

Since the sounds are darn fine to begin with, this isn't really all that noticeable. There are other oddities, such as something that sounds a quick release of air - "Phffft!!", sharp and brief during bombardment by certain types of arty. I have no idea what it is supposed to be - I have a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz soundcard and Monsoon 1000 speaker system, so that isn't the cause - plus I have heard them with a entirely different sound setup.

Bing [/B][/QUOTE]

The motorcycle wav is obviously being pointed at the wrong file. We can fix that. The "Phffft!!" sound...hmm... I'll have to research this one a little to see if it applies to WWII arty, but some arty shells used during the 60's through about the early 80's did have a "braking chute" that would pop out and allow for better above ground bursts. Could be that's the sound you're hearing. Although, I think it was only used on tac nukes and submunition rounds (bomblets, arty seeded mines, etc.)

What, me worry?

Post #: 27
- 3/24/2002 7:21:00 AM   
john g

[B]

Bing [/B][/QUOTE]

Was it perhaps when firing mortars? When they fire in real life it often sounds to me like a sharp cough.
thanks, John.

Post #: 28
- 3/24/2002 7:32:15 AM   
Fallschirmjager

[QUOTE]Since the sounds are darn fine to begin with, this isn't really all that noticeable. There are other oddities, such as something that sounds a quick release of air - "Phffft!!", sharp and brief during bombardment by certain types of arty. I have no idea what it is supposed to be [/QUOTE]

Ive noticed the same thing.
I cant figure out what in the world its supposed to simulate.

Its not limited to a certain kind of gun either.

Ive had British 3-inch mortars have the sound as well as American 105mm howitzers.

Odd little sound, for me it happens right on impact.

I do have one idea. Correct me if Im wrong but doesnt powerful artillary when it explodes go outward then suck its self back in for a very brief moment right near the core of the explosion?
Something to do with air pressure I think.
I cant remember if I read that or if Im just thinking I did and am thinking it all up.

Post #: 29
- 4/15/2003 12:04:09 PM   
Bernie

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bernie
[B]Okay, ask and it is done. Sorry it took so long (been working on something related for about 5 hours now) but I think this will fit the bill.

Oh, and that other thing I mentioned I was working on...? Well, when you get a guy with a weird sense of humor, and 80,000+ WAV files in his collection, started on something like this well... You'll just have to hear it to believe it I think. Too big to put up here so I'll have to u/l it to my own server and you can get it from there. Try [url]www.occoffice.com/overrun.wav[/url] when your curiosity gets the better of you. :)

(Fair warning...the file on my site is 2.5mb):cool:

Sheesh...I should know better than to try to FTP with the flu. I mistyped the filename when I uploaded it to my server. All fixed now. Just crank up your volume, click the link up there and enjoy a 2 minute sound file of a [I]serious[/I] elephant overrun attack. :D [/B][/QUOTE]

Anyone interested in the [I]overrun.wav[/I] file, I had to pull it from my old server. PM me with an e-mail addy and I'll e-mail it to you. (Warning: It's funny but HUGE, 2.5 megs total)

What, me worry?

Post #: 30
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> How Come Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI