Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: AAR Jon Pyle (Union) vs Joel Billings (Confederate) - Confederate POV

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Gary Grigsby's War Between the States >> After Action Reports >> RE: AAR Jon Pyle (Union) vs Joel Billings (Confederate) - Confederate POV Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: AAR Jon Pyle (Union) vs Joel Billings (Confederate)... - 4/28/2008 1:03:16 AM   
Joel Billings

There are units attached to leaders (generally corps, but sometimes independent divisions. Advanced rules allow leaders to be attached to these corps leaders and effectively serving as division commanders under the corps. Each side can have up to 4 army commanders, so there is a defacto army structure because you need to keep units together with the AC to get the AC benefits.

Leaders automatically are assumed exchanged. The random 1-12 months before returning to play is how we account for this automatic swapping. You don't choose who you release, they just get released.

(in reply to GShock)
Post #: 91
RE: AAR Jon Pyle (Union) vs Joel Billings (Confederate)... - 5/1/2008 2:22:35 AM   
Joel Billings

There was little activity in May as the Union shifted their forces. The Union launched small amphibious invasions against Corpus Christi, Texas and Gainesville, Florida which easily took control of those areas. Lyon moved to Pine Bluff Arkansas with at least 35,000 men, created a depot, and clearly intends to capture Little Rock and possibly the rest of Arkansas (and Texas?). Sizable forces remained in Northern Mississippi and Alabama, but not enough to threaten further attacks. I considered a counterattack in this area, and depending on how things go, may try one in the coming months. Grant remained opposite Atlanta, while Sheridan left Pope in South Carolina and went back to Kentucky with at least 25,000 men and looks to take the rest of Kentucky and possibly move into Tennessee. Sherman remained in Northern Virginia.

The political score at the end of May 1864 was Union 985 Confederate 1107

< Message edited by Joel Billings -- 5/1/2008 2:23:14 AM >

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 92
RE: AAR Jon Pyle (Union) vs Joel Billings (Confederate)... - 5/1/2008 6:22:20 AM   
SpharV2

I like the way it looks so far aside from one pretty major point.  There is no pressure on the North to perform any kind of offensive action in Virginia, which is leading to completely a-historical numbers of troops involved in the amphibious landings.  Basically he's just using Washington as a big training base for troops to be sent down the coast.  If the North had tried that in the war, they newspapers and Democrats would have crucified them.  THE theater of the war should be the eastern...politically, it has to be.  It's not generally going to be the war-winning front, that will most likely be the west, but there should be some kind of political penalty for sitting around Northern Virginia, a mere 50-70 miles from the most important city in the CSA, doing absolutely nothing.  But here, all we've seen is a few minor raids and not much else.   We all know the reasons that it's not a good idea to attack in the east, but there was no option in the matter.

Post #: 93
RE: AAR Jon Pyle (Union) vs Joel Billings (Confederate)... - 5/1/2008 7:20:45 AM   
PyleDriver

Your right, we talked about that (Joel and I). But should a player be handcuffed. I think I'm paying the price now, pressure on Richmond is a must and I'm about to loose this one because of it...I just tried a different approch, which this game has...Plus loosing key leaders in battles has killed me. Joel is bound to loose some leaders soon. I need the election and a 300 PP swing to win this one. Big month coming, Grant and Sherman are on the move. Lyon's army is hittng Arkansas hard but left his command to his generals, and is on the prowl, and Sheridan has built a huge army somewhere...lol...Not telling where...Sorry need this one...Theres to many spies...

Jon

(in reply to SpharV2)
Post #: 94
RE: AAR Jon Pyle (Union) vs Joel Billings (Confederate)... - 5/1/2008 7:51:08 AM   
PyleDriver

Sorry Joel I think this is a double post now with no screenshots...I just can't be quiet anymore, I fell in here by mistake wanting to answer SaharV2... The battles coming up are the war. Grants attacking Atlanta in force, and Sherman is moving deeper into Virginia with his huge army. With Lyon and Sheridan unseen alot of the CSA should be in check. This month is the whole war. If Grant and Sherman can't win Lincoln is doomed...

Jon

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 95
RE: AAR Jon Pyle (Union) vs Joel Billings (Confederate)... - 5/2/2008 2:30:51 AM   
Joel Billings

I'll have to be careful what info I give out here since the enemy appears to have access to my reports (in Jon's defense he's had to send me his password so I can check out possible bugs that have come up during our game, so I've seen a few things as well).

June was a big month, with action in six different areas, from Arkansas to Virginia. Little Rock fell, although a smaller attack on Camden (just to the southeast of Little Rock) was repulsed. The Arkansas militia was pretty useless, but Rodes division sent from Vicksburg made the difference in Camden. The net Confederate losses of these two battles were 8700/20 guns while the Union lost 4200/10 guns (the Confederates did gain 6000 militia that offset most of these losses). It appears that this is as far as the Union forces intend to push as they disbanded their depots and Sheridan did not participate in the attacks.

In Kentucky, 14000 Union troops moved into London and brushed aside 8000 Confederates (2600 Confederate losses versus 1400 Union losses).

South of Macon, Georgia, 8000 Union troops occupied Cordele. The big action in Georgia, however, was Grant's assault on Atlanta. Advancing with 88,000 troops, Grant tried to force Lee out of Atlanta. Thanks to near 100% Confederate leader initiative (both Theatre Commanders, all four Army Commanders, and most independent Commanders), Lee was able to call in reinforcements from several surrounding areas, including a division sent from Tennessee. Lee brought 100,000 troops to the battle, including 10,000 newly mobilized Georgia militia. Of course, sometimes, having more troops just means more casualties. The Union artillery advantage (420 guns to 280 guns) meant high Confederate artillery casualties. Confederate losses were 18,000/130 guns while Union losses were only 12,000/90 guns. The loss of Patrick Cleburne (KIA) didn't help either. However, Grant was forced to retreat back to Macon. It was a costly victory, but a Confederate victory nonetheless. Lee's proved it will be hard to take Atlanta from him.

Sherman returned to Winchester, but once again was not able to coordinate his larger army, and in a small engagement was sent back to Manassas by Beauregard's now experienced army. Confederate losses of 4800/10 guns was almost more than offset by Union losses of 8400/120 guns (60 captured by the Confederates).

The total net losses were 17,500 Confederates versus 26,000 Union. Confederate strength dropped a little, while Union strength remained about the same (they captured another area that will generate black troops, and their replacement rate is 4-5x mine at the moment).

Entering July, what is interesting is that both Lyon and Sheridan have disappeared from the map. Union depots appeared in several areas meaning many places that these leaders could be, as shown on the map below. They could be looking to hit Louisiana or Mobile from the Gulf, South Carolina from Charleston, Chattanooga from Nashville, or Mississippi/Alabama from Corinth/Memphis. The map shows some of my blocking forces (I don't want to say at this moment where my armies are).

Attachment (1)

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 96
RE: AAR Jon Pyle (Union) vs Joel Billings (Confederate)... - 5/2/2008 2:37:07 AM   
Joel Billings

The screenshot below shows Confederate forces and estimated Union forces (I think it is 5-15% low for the Union forces).

Good news from the commerce raiders. With two at sea, Semmes's raider was successful enough to cost the Union a political point and 8 supply points, and gain me 6 supply points. Every point counts with the election only 4 months away. Union supply stocks are very low now as well.

Political points are now: Union 993 Confederate 1114

Attachment (1)

Post #: 97
RE: AAR Jon Pyle (Union) vs Joel Billings (Confederate)... - 5/2/2008 6:55:50 PM   
PyleDriver

June brought highs and lows for the Union. Kentucky after years has joined the Union. I now have much needed additional production (40 supply). Central Arkansas (Little Rock) was taken also, the loss of their factory there and a population base will hurt their cause, also black recruits from their are pouring in, 2000 just this month. The downside Grant and Sherman were defeated agian. I'm still short of the 1000 PP's needed to reelect, at 981...My hopes were dashed in July as both Lyon and Sheridan didn't get initiative. They both have large armys that are unspotted and were to do follow up assults. Unspotted units have a bonus in their attack of +3 and -1 on defense on the die rolls. Grant moved to Augusta, the supply lines were to hard to maintain as Hampton's Cav was reaking havok on them. From Augusta Grant's Army threatens both Atlanta and Columbia, and will pin both Lee and Johnston to watch him. Grant has regrouped, reinforced, and resupplyed. In Virginia Wilson and Stugis's Cav raided. With the lack of screening forces, they ripped up the raillines in 4 areas, because of this, Sherman has made a move on Fredricksburg. The raids are going to hurt the CSA bad, it will cost them 40 supply to repair and double supply costs for units in those areas. He moved most of his Cav into SC and GA, and it cost him bad. Confederate forces are starting to take a toll. His Cav and Art Corps are hurting now. If I can get Lincoln reelected, then in 65, I should be able to break their back...If I get initiative in August this might turn ugly, Joel is spread thin and has only a small idea of where Lyon and Sheridan are.

Jon

Post #: 98
RE: AAR Jon Pyle (Union) vs Joel Billings (Confederate)... - 5/3/2008 8:51:30 AM   
Joel Billings

In July, Sherman advanced on Fredericksburg with 95,000 men, while Grant with 80,000 men rested his army in Augusta, GA, placing his main army in a position to attack Columbia, SC or Atlanta. Lyon and Sheridan apparently did not get initiative and there whereabouts are still unknown. Likely at least one is probably in Corinth or Memphis, with the other likely to be either in Nashville or Charleston, although that's just a guess at this point. Beauregard did not get initiative, and was unable to move to Fredericksburg. That left 15,000 men to be steamrolled by Sherman. Two precious divisions were lost and the senior Confederate commander, Henry Walker, was killed. Had Beauregard gotten initiative (about a 75% chance), I would have been able to show up with between 50-65,000 troops, which in the Wilderness would have had a good chance to beat Sherman. Fortunes of war however, as Sherman stole a march on Beauregard. Beauregard is a good case study of leadership. He started with a 2 attack rating and a 3 defense rating. When he won his 5th major victory, his attack rating improved to 3 (increasing his chance for initiative by about 10%). He now has 9 major victories, and if he wins another, his attack rating will go up to 4. If he manages to win 11 major victories, his defense rating will also go up to 4. This would be an amazing accomplishment, as few leaders are able to win this many major battles during a normal game (I've never seen it happen yet in the test games I've played).

The very bad news for the Confederacy in July was not Fredericksburg. It was the effectiveness of the Union cavalry. With JEB Stuart wounded and out of action, and most of the Confederate cavalry pulled over to the Shenandoah Valley, Union cavalry rode around the Confederate troops in Fredericksburg, destroying rail lines and supplies in the Richmond, Petersburg and Gordonsville areas. Beauregard's army found it difficult to get supplies, and rail movement was impossible. After supplies were consumed by my units at the beginning of my turn, I had 0 supplies left. This meant I could not repair the damaged rail. A large part of my forces in Virginia marched to Richmond, where they will more easily be able to resupply themselves from the Richmond factories. I was forced to use almost all of my factories to produce supplies. The Union forces have more cavalry now than I do, and since there are many areas I need to keep constantly scouted in order not to be surprised, my cavalry is more spread out. Union naval transport capability can shift large numbers of troops into any number of Union controlled coastal locations in the south. Given this situation, and better Union cavalry commanders that are now leading the more numerous Union cavalry, it looks like a major new threat has emerged to counter the Confederate interior lines. I repositioned some of my cavalry to counter some of the worst threats, but could only do so much. I attempted several raids of my own, but they were not effective. Hopefully things will even out a little in the future. Having no supply reserves is a scary thing. It means I can't build fortifications, can't create additional cavalry units, and cannot repair rail lines that get damaged.

In the war at sea, Union cruisers sank Semmes raider, but Buchanan's was successful, capturing another 5 supplies and costing the Union another very important political point.

The political score at the end of the July 64 was: Union 992 Confederate 1110

At this time, it's worth a note about political points. At the beginning of each Union turn, the Union player loses 27 political points. They then gain PPs equal to the combined total of the political ratings of their six Theatre and Army Commanders. Currently this total is 15. So the Union is losing 12 PPs per turn. The Union player has to keep taking territory or winning major battles in order to offset this loss. At the beginning of the Confederate turn, the Confederate player loses 9 PPs per turn, but also gains points for their TCs and ACs. Currently my leaders political ratings add up to 17, so I'm gaining a new 8 PPs per turn. At the beginning of November, before the Union player loses points, the Presidential election is held. If the Union player has 1000 Political Points, Lincoln is reelected. So assuming the Union player loses 12 PPs at the beginning of August, September and October, the Union player needs to gain 44 political points in the next three months. Capturing either Atlanta or Columbia via a strategic victory in battle would do this, although strategic losses can lose the Union points, and I could always retake a lost area if I'm willing to risk a counterattack. This is a very close game. If Lincoln loses the election, the Confederacy will win. If Lincoln wins the election, there's still a chance for a Confederate victory depending on how well the Union does in the first half of 1865. This game is as close as they come.

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 99
RE: AAR Jon Pyle (Union) vs Joel Billings (Confederate)... - 5/3/2008 9:38:28 PM   
PyleDriver

August brought good and bad news agian. All my AC's got intiative except Grant, but 2 of his corps commanders did, Schofield, and McPherson. Parke is sitting on his corps of 30,000 men. These are the best corps commanders the Union have and I needed them with Grant to be on the move. So I had to make some changes. Lyon was in Nashville, and is moving into eastern TN. In order to keep Lee and Hood in GA and not react into TN, Schofield and McPherson are attacking Athens just east of Atlanta, with artillery and Cav support (I don't expect to win this one). I had hoped to attack Columbia with this army. Sheridan exploded out of Charleston with a huge unseen force, and is looking to cut the rail line between Columbia and Wilmington and position his army to dive on Charlotte NC, or turn back to Columbia, or even go towards Wilmington. Sherman sent a corps commander Reynolds via sea with 16,000 men and 80 guns to attack Wilmington. Sherman then pulled his other troops from Fredricksburg, rolled around Longstreets corps in Gordonsville and is once agian attacking Winchester. I'm betting once agian Joel's army with his pet general are stuck in Richmond...lol...New Kent was overrun also, as CSA forces withdrew to Richmond. In the west my Cav went crazy, cutting the rail lines in Selma and Jackson. The cost of repair is going to hurt the CSA, and east-west movement is cut...Time is short for Lincoln, these are some must win battles...Recrutment was high 16,000 new men, 8,000 are black. The fact that I haven't had a draft since 62, has kept me in this game...

Jon

Edit... The fresh recruits play in well because they can garrison and train, while trained troops can go to the front. I'm getting close to a 3 to 1 advantage in infantry but 1/3 of my troops are in garrisons duties. So these fresh recruits do the same as trained troops behind the lines, and allow me rotate trained troops to front line action. My black solders make up 20% of the Union army now. I hoped to bust into rear to black rich recruitment areas, but Joel has kept from that...He can't handle this attrition much longer...But my time is running short...

< Message edited by PyleDriver -- 5/4/2008 6:29:02 AM >

Post #: 100
RE: AAR Jon Pyle (Union) vs Joel Billings (Confederate)... - 5/4/2008 9:12:21 PM   
Joel Billings

August 64 was a very busy month. The screenshot below shows the results of the 5 battles. I've indicated the winning side with an asterisk (two asterisks is a strategic victory that impacts the political score). In Virginia, Beauregard gained initiative, and with the help of some hastily repaired rail lines was able to react to Sherman's move to Winchester, soundly defeating him and gaining Beauregard's 10 major victory of the war (he is now has a 4 attack rating, one more MV and he'll have a 4 defense rating as well, and will join Lee at the top). The bad news in Virginia however was that Longstreet was wounded. This was a terrible blow and I have no one of Longstreet's caliber to replace him.

In Georgia, Lee held off Grant once again. With Grant not having initiative, he wasn't giving his combat bonus to his units. The fact that the army did as well as it did is a testament to the quality of the corps commanders there, the experience of the troops, and the huge Union artillery advantage (several battalions of heavy artillery were left in Atlanta as they are not allowed to move in the reaction phase).

In Tennessee, the Confederates fought a delaying action before retreating to Chattanooga where Thomas Jackson and several units from the Army of Mississippi arrived to stabilize the situation.

In Wilmington, a Union amphibious force caused a number of casualties to the defending Confederates before the Confederates withdrew to the Wilmington fortifications and the Union army decided they were not strong enough to take the town.

This brings us to Darlington and the mistake that may prove to have gotten Lincoln elected. Joe Johnston in Columbia did not have initiative in August. Although his army was close enough to move to Darlington (up the rail line from Columbia towards Wilmington), the lack of initiative meant that he would not be able to give his command bonus to more than the few units that started in Darlington. This represents that he did not react quickly enough to maximize his defense of Darlington. Knowing this, I could have declined a major engagement and instead remained in Columbia. Of course, losing Darlington would strain the Confederate ability to protect both Columbia and Wilmington. Going into the battle, I knew that I could get 50,000 troops to Darlington, but didn't know how large the enemy army was. I gambled that the Union army wasn't big enough to push aside a major Confederate army. This proved disastrous as the Union army was 75000 strong and without the Johnston's combat bonus, he couldn't beat Sheridan. The battle odds at the end were 1.15 to 1, and Sheridan one a strategic victory.

The new of all of these battles was a gain of about 20 political points for both sides, terrible attrition, and a bad strategic situation for the Confederacy. On the other hand, the Union movements gave my cavalry several chances for raiding. Wade Hampton followed Grant's army back to Augusta and harassed it mercilessly, destroying an capturing 41 supplies, trashing the rail system, and rendering the depot there impotent. Wheeler's cavalry slipped past Sheridan's army after the battle of Darlington and trashed the depots in Georgetown. Both Grant and Sheridan will be paying double supply costs to supply their army next turn. In Mississippi, Forrest went wild, causing 50,000 Union troops to have to pay double supply costs in September. The destruction to supplies, the added supply costs, and the supplies needed to repair the rail damage amounts to nearly 300 supply points. I'm pretty sure that some of the Union army will be short on supply next turn (perhaps as much as 100,000 troops), and the Union will have a hard time replacing the units lost, repairing the rail lines, and restocking it's supplies. Also, in September, Lyon in Tennessee, Sheridan in South Carolina, and Grant in Georgia will not be getting depot bonuses for initiative. On average, only 1 or 2 Union generals should get initiative next turn.

Of course the Union doesn't need much now, only about 20 more political points, in order to get Lincoln re-elected.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 101
RE: AAR Jon Pyle (Union) vs Joel Billings (Confederate)... - 5/4/2008 9:16:55 PM   
Joel Billings

This screen shows the poltical situation at the end of August 1864, and the locations and command ratings of the various Theatre and Army Commanders.

Political score is: Union 1005 Confederate 1122

My one remaining raider was successful last turn and cost the Union a political point. Two more months until the election.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Joel Billings -- 5/4/2008 9:17:26 PM >

Post #: 102
RE: AAR Jon Pyle (Union) vs Joel Billings (Confederate)... - 5/4/2008 9:22:32 PM   
Bo Rearguard

quote:

ORIGINAL: PyleDriver The fresh recruits play in well because they can garrison and train, while trained troops can go to the front. I'm getting close to a 3 to 1 advantage in infantry but 1/3 of my troops are in garrisons duties. So these fresh recruits do the same as trained troops behind the lines, and allow me rotate trained troops to front line action. My black solders make up 20% of the Union army now. I hoped to bust into rear to black rich recruitment areas, but Joel has kept from that...He can't handle this attrition much longer...But my time is running short...

Which areas provide the best black recruitment numbers?

I was also curious if the Union can recruit in those captured areas of the South where pro-Union sentiment was strong, like Knoxville, Tennesse and West Virginia. Conversely, can the South recruit in a Pro-Southern state like Maryland, if they capture it?

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist ...." Union General John Sedgwick, 1864

Post #: 103
RE: AAR Jon Pyle (Union) vs Joel Billings (Confederate)... - 5/4/2008 9:42:57 PM   
Joel Billings

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bo Rearguard

Which areas provide the best black recruitment numbers?

I was also curious if the Union can recruit in those captured areas of the South where pro-Union sentiment was strong, like Knoxville, Tennesse and West Virginia. Conversely, can the South recruit in a Pro-Southern state like Maryland, if they capture it?

Charleston, New Orleans, and some other big city areas are best, but there are many areas that have black population. As for the neutral states, yes, there are many rules regarding population in these areas going north and south, depending on the allegiance of the state at the time and who physically occupies the population areas.

(in reply to Bo Rearguard)
Post #: 104
RE: AAR Jon Pyle (Union) vs Joel Billings (Confederate)... - 5/4/2008 10:46:23 PM   
PyleDriver

Well September brought good and bad news agian. Pope resigned for 3 months and left his command. Sheridan had initiative but with 20,000 men left with no leadership, Sheridan elected to turn east into Marlboro with his remaing corps commannders Logan, Meade, and Thomas. This 40,000 plus army should do well as Johnstons army cant react in time now that Darlington is in Union hands and Beauregard can't risk to move is army that far south of Richmond. Needing a big political victory, Lincoln ordered Sheridan to Little Rock. With him came 36,000 men and 80 guns. Depots were built, and 2 rich areas are in the grasp of the Union...Mitchell's Cav overran Livingston TN as Confederate forces witdrew across the Tennessee River. Amphibious invasions of the east coast of FL have begun also. Sherman, Grant and Leon withdrew to there supply centers as CSA Cav is ripping up supply lines. It's time for for the Union to get the unspotted bonus now...I'm have 995 pp's now, I should get 11 more this turn, after the turn I loose 12, add 1 more for the raider, I should only need 7 for Lincolns reelection. I'm poised to get those points if I get the initiative. Lincoln's not sleeping well these days...lol...I've had 44,000 new recruits the last 2 months without a draft, I need to keep pressing them, their bound to break soon. If Lincoln is reelected the CSA loose 100 pp's a month, thats 800 pp's. I need another 400 pp's in victories to win this one (I loose 12 a turn also)...This is as close as it gets guys. Not easy playing the guy that knows every equation of the game, but I got him on his toes...

Jon

Post #: 105
RE: AAR Jon Pyle (Union) vs Joel Billings (Confederate)... - 5/6/2008 3:32:01 AM   
PyleDriver

Early battle reports are out. Thomas, Logan and Meade hit Marlboro hard. With only 1700 losses, they caused 5500 losses for the CSA, which they can't afford. Portions of So. FL are in Union hands now. Lyon was spotted with his 2 corps and artillery support north of Jackson MS. I had hoped to spring on Jackson MS by suprise, but I'm sure Stonewall will be back to stop any move southward. Sherman and Grant have good supply lines now, and hope to attack or counterattack in force, as the reelection and winter is nearing. Sheridan has enough power to overrun AR now...Oh God I need initiative, hear my prayers....Reports are that Beauregard plans a counterattack in VA...Lincoln is not sleeping much now...lol...Me also...Hell, you know it's bad when you have dream's about a game, and have to check your mail every hour...It's that good guys...

Jon

Post #: 106
RE: AAR Jon Pyle (Union) vs Joel Billings (Confederate)... - 5/6/2008 10:28:44 PM   
PyleDriver

October looks grim for the Union. Beaureguard made a counterstroke into Fredricksburg with Early, Hill and Heth, and hit Pecks corps hard, and I suffered 6620 losses and 40 guns. CSA losses were light at 2000 and 10 guns. I took a gamble and moved Sherman's army to Charleston SC, and had no AC to react. I lost 12 pp's in the battle and need 18 now to reelect. Now the bad news, yes it gets worse, Sheridan and Grant are sitting on there army's. Mitchells cav overran the rest of the areas west of the TN river (2pp's). Lyon sent one corps up the AR river to Fayetteville AR (7pp's). McClellen sent 4000 men to land in Lafayette LA (2pp's). Sherman sent 8000 men to 4 areas to subdue the rest of FL (8pp's). Thats the number I need for Lincolns reelection, and could sit on that. I have Shermans army poised to attack Columbia SC. Knowing time is short and winter is near, Lincoln has given the order to attack Johnstons army in Columbia. This is the turn to see if we go into overtime...Lyon is missing agian, reports are Lincoln recalled him to Washington to rebuild the AotP. Grant moved his army closer to Atlanta and is well supplied believing Shermans claims to take Columbia. Sheridan is still in Little Rock...

Jon

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 107
RE: AAR Jon Pyle (Union) vs Joel Billings (Confederate)... - 5/6/2008 10:29:14 PM   
Joel Billings

Note: The following report was written just prior to Jon's report regarding Union October operations but he managed to post just before me.

As Jon reported, the Union army advanced up the coast towards Wilmington. I didn't have the forces to fight more than a delaying action, and another division was lost in the process (John Walker's division). It looks like recent Union victories are going to put Lincoln over the top, although I've decided to try to influence the election by taking the offensive and trying to recapture Fredericksburg. Beauregard has moved out from Richmond and was joined by some troops returning from the recent action in the Shenandoah Valley. Sherman has disappeared, as has Grant, so one of them is either in Washington or both of them are in the South Carolina/Georgia area (at least those are the two most likely explanations of there whereabouts). If in Washington, I might suffer a setback in Fredericksburg, but I have to risk it. My lines are stretched very thin. Intelligence reports Lyon is in Clarksdale (north of Jackson and on the Mississippi River), and Sheridan is in Little Rock. Arkansas is vulnerable as is Jackson and the rail line to the east. With Union spies everywhere, I'm afraid I can't report on the specific actions I have taken to try to counter the Union moves. I can only say that I have to hope that the Union generals are unable to get initiative in October. If none of them get initiative, and I win in Fredericksburg, Lincoln will lose the election. I am bracing myself for Lincoln's re-election given average Union initiative in October.

The Political Score at the end of September 1864 was: Union 1006 Confederate 1117.

Union PPs will fall to 994 at the start of October, and if I take Fredericksburg, they will drop by either 12 or 22 points depending on whether I win a strategic victory or just a major victory. It's close, but several of the Union leaders are probably in a position to gain the required points to get Lincoln re-elected.

< Message edited by Joel Billings -- 5/6/2008 10:31:03 PM >

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 108
RE: AAR Jon Pyle (Union) vs Joel Billings (Confederate)... - 5/7/2008 1:07:55 AM   
ratters72

Great AAR.  Just a quick question.  Is there defensive bonuses/offensive penalties depending which province you are attacking from and into?  Eg - Marsh into normal flat land.  And is there an easy way of checking this through tool tips or the like?

Thanks.

Post #: 109
RE: AAR Jon Pyle (Union) vs Joel Billings (Confederate)... - 5/7/2008 1:46:29 AM   
rjh1971

Yes there is a ground combat modifier of -1 for mountain, marsh and forest areas, they are all considered rough terrain for the attacker.

(in reply to ratters72)
Post #: 110
RE: AAR Jon Pyle (Union) vs Joel Billings (Confederate)... - 5/7/2008 5:12:22 AM   
Joel Billings

There is a chart in the manual that lists combat modifiers. More important than the terrain combat impact (which is for both attacker and defender), is the impact on the number of troops that can be committed. In bad terrain areas, less units will tend to be committed to the battle, preventing the larger army from taking full advantage of it's numbers (and thus helping the Confederate player even up what might be a bad situation for their usually outnumbered forces).

(in reply to ratters72)
Post #: 111
RE: AAR Jon Pyle (Union) vs Joel Billings (Confederate)... - 5/7/2008 6:35:39 AM   
PyleDriver

Another point I'll add. After militia is trained to Infantry, they can gain additional attack and defense bonus after battles. They gain stars, each star represents die roll modifiers. 1 star are experienced troops and have a plus 1 modifier, 2 stars are veteran with a plus 2, 3 stars are elite and get a plus 3...So in our AAR even though I outnumber Joel 3 to 1, alot of his troops are veteran and elite. That with his great leadership, Lee, Jackson, Beauregard and Johnston, will make this a tough fight...I need Sherman to win in Columbia to see how this plays out...

Jon

Post #: 112
RE: AAR Jon Pyle (Union) vs Joel Billings (Confederate)... - 5/7/2008 6:36:50 AM   
Joel Billings

Jon has things figured out pretty well and Lincoln is likely to be re-elected. He was missing one thing though, and that is that I can oppose his landing in Louisiana. If he had not attacked Columbia, I would oppose the landing in Louisiana and I'm pretty sure I could beat it off. That would leave the Union at 999 PP's, and Lincoln would lose the election. Long term it might cost me however, so I'm still debating what to do there. Since he attacked Columbia, the 2 political points in Louisiana are not important. Columbia is the ballgame. The news there is not good for the Confederacy. Joe Johnston once again failed to get initiative. Polk, Johnston's Theatre Commander, failed to get initiative, leaving Johnston with a 50% chance for initiative. Had Polk gotten initiative, a 50% chance, Johnston's odds would have gone up to 79%. This failure in leadership means that I can only defend Columbia with about 35,000 troops, instead of 50,000, and many of those 35,000 will not get Johnston's combat bonuses. There are another 6,000 troops nearby that also are unable to reach due to their commander's lack of initiative. I don't know how many troops Sherman is bringing to Columbia (if it weren't for Jon's posts, I wouldn't even know it was Sherman). Had all 56,000 troops showed up, things might be different. As it is, I don't expect to win this battle, but seeing as it's for the election, I have to put up a fight in case it's a smaller thrust than I expect. So here we are, it's late October 1864 and the Union army is moving to capture Columbia, South Carolina. The entire North waits to hear if the Union armies will be denied once again, or whether the South has finally been weakened sufficiently to surrender another of it's major cities.

< Message edited by Joel Billings -- 5/7/2008 8:50:05 AM >

Post #: 113
RE: AAR Jon Pyle (Union) vs Joel Billings (Confederate)... - 5/7/2008 7:09:24 AM   
Joel Billings

Union attacks on Fayetteville and Florida were successful. The attack on the Louisiana coast by 4000 Union soldiers was repulsed. The Union political score is 999 VPs. It can't get any closer than this. At this point, the Battle of Columbia begins. The screenshot below shows the opening moments of the battle.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 114
RE: AAR Jon Pyle (Union) vs Joel Billings (Confederate)... - 5/7/2008 7:11:28 AM   
Joel Billings

As the battle rages, additional Union forces enter the battle. Sherman commits 40,000 troops, Johnston 30,000...

Post #: 115
RE: AAR Jon Pyle (Union) vs Joel Billings (Confederate)... - 5/7/2008 7:12:51 AM   
Joel Billings

Sherman brings up another corps and reaches 60,000 troops committed. Johnston brings his total to 32,400. Losses are fairly even, heading past 6000 soldiers for each side...

Post #: 116
RE: AAR Jon Pyle (Union) vs Joel Billings (Confederate)... - 5/7/2008 7:17:52 AM   
Joel Billings

Lacking Gordon's corps that was unable to reach the battlefield, Johnston finally withdraws. Lincoln will remain President.

Jefferson Davis declares the Confederacy will fight on.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 117
RE: AAR Jon Pyle (Union) vs Joel Billings (Confederate)... - 5/7/2008 7:31:31 AM   
PyleDriver

Well Joel, you know as the Union you have to be the agressor no matter the losses. So I got a break, wow about time. I'll need about 10 more to win this game...lol...400 pp's are going to be hard to get over the next 8 months, unless Richmond falls (the CSA losses an additional 100 pp's per month). Atlanta will be a good starting point, Grant has all his bad boys there now, I added Thomas to his army. Lets see how Lee fairs in this upcoming battle...If I get initiative this winter I may just break this wide open in the spring...If, If, If, my dad told me thats the biggest word in the world...lol...But its true...

Jon

Post #: 118
RE: AAR Jon Pyle (Union) vs Joel Billings (Confederate)... - 5/7/2008 10:55:43 PM   
PyleDriver

Well its time for me to rethink what the Union will do. Unless the CSA has a total collaspe (which I will try to do), I need to take Richmond. The fall of Columbia has taken SC out of the war. Her population and production (he built an extra factory there) will be missed I'm sure. Black recruits in Columbia are in line now, 6000 will be in arms by spring. Sherman in the center of the South with Grant has got to be a troublesome. Sheridan will take AR this winter, I hope, and will be back to counter balance this war. Joel's still not sure where Lyon is, he may have got false information. I do plan to hit the CSA hard any chance I get. Equal losses are huge losses at this stage of the war for him. I'm looking to have a Lee/Grant heads up battle, I have the best 4 Union corps commanders with him, I need to cut the east-west railroad...I may still pull this game out...

Jon

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 119
RE: AAR Jon Pyle (Union) vs Joel Billings (Confederate)... - 5/7/2008 11:51:20 PM   
Joel Billings

With Columbia lost, Confederate forces regroup in North Carolina. Beauregard, fighting with renewed confidence after his victory in Fredericksburg, moves southeast to attack the Union forces adjacent to Richmond in New Kent. Lee braces for what seems to be an inevitable showdown with Grant in Georgia. With the whereabouts of Lyon unknown, Jackson also disappears behind the lines with a few of his favorite commanders (and troops) in order to keep the Union guessing. Bad weather has arrived and movements of the armies will slow, as will hopefully the actions of the Union Army commanders.

The Poltical score at the end of October 1864: Union 1026 Confederate 1093

Lincoln will serve a second term. I must hold onto Richmond at all costs, preserve my remaining population centers, and keep the rail link between Virginia and Mississippi open as long as possible.

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Gary Grigsby's War Between the States >> After Action Reports >> RE: AAR Jon Pyle (Union) vs Joel Billings (Confederate) - Confederate POV Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI