Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

New AAR

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> New AAR Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
New AAR - 3/26/2002 1:02:04 PM   
bobaloo000

I've never done this before so I'd appreciate any input. This is about half done but I thought I'd post to see if I was heading in the right direction.

I updated this. Thank you.

Date: 11-07-42
Type: Amphibious Assault

Note: Col. Traeger prepared the following on 11-12-42.

Those of us heading up Task Forces as part of operation Torch spent all of 11/5 aboard Augusta. We spent the day with General Patton discussing final preparations for the assault on French Morocco the next day. The United States was about to enter the war and we were excited and nervous, none more so than General Patton himself. Still unsure of what to expect the General kept flip flopping about pre landing bombardments. Finally we decided that each commander was to call in nothing greater than smoke until, and if, fired upon.

My Task Force was scheduled to land in the vicinity of Safi. I have my normal command plus two platoons of Rangers. We would be completely mechanized in order to cover the ground we had to. In addition to two Mech. Infantry Companies I had several tank sections and some mech. Engineers to help with mine detection.

Jump off time was 0300 hours and we expected to land at 0545. Jump off was delayed 30 minutes and sure enough we did not even approach the beach until 0900. As we approached the beach we took both Mortar fire, plus direct fire from Gun Encasements along the beach.

I was expecting this having heard the sounds of battle up and down the beach as we approached.

We had five objectives. Three right off the beach, one to the heights in the North, one to the heights in the South and one at the intersection of the main North-South, East-West roads. We had two more objectives at the approach to the town further inland. Those objectives would secure the East-West road for us.

I split my Task Force in 3. The rangers and an engineer tank were sent to the North. They were under orders to delay landing for up to 1 hour after the other two parties. The main bulk of the attack was in the center. That is were M Company commanded by Cpt. Rochford would land. Also attached to this force were one platoon of engineers and three tank sections. In the South would be S Company commanded by Cpt. Denza and two tank sections.

The bulk of the work would fall to Cpt. Rochford in the middle. They had to land, clear the mines for the tanks and take the heights North and South of the East-West road before reaching their main objective, the intersection. Once that was taken one section of tanks was to head North and team up with the Rangers to take their hills.

Things immediately got bogged down in the center. The number of mines encountered was far greater than we had expected and we could not convince the engineers to ignore the tank barriers and get rid of the mines. Also a gun encasement was wreaking havoc and one squad of engineers was sent to deal with it. This of course meant that I had to further delay the Ranger landing.

The South started off better. My recon team uncovered several squads of French and the engineers were busy clearing a path. After 20 minutes they were beginning to move out when disaster struck. Undetected mines ripped through another recon team, bogged down a section of tanks, and also put our engineers within the sights of another gun encasement.

Those mines were right were our first infantry platoon was landing and sure enough the engineers had not only drawn a bead from the gun encasement but also the 155’s the French had. Just as our platoon got off the boat artillery fire began raining down and taking its toll on the poor bastards. Many tried to swim back to the landing craft but our Sergeants and Lieutenants quickly got things in order.

To make matters worse there was an East-West hill just to their North. This hill was in Cpt. Rochfords area and was supposed to be swept clean by now. The bogging down in the center left that hill uncleared and two squads of French anti-tank teams began firing on our engineers and infantry. This went on for 15 minutes before a path through the mines was cleared.

A lesson had been learned! Get off the beach! This may be an important lesson later against tougher opponents.

While this was going on Cpt. Denza made a gutsy call. He landed additional infantry further South where the other recon team was stuck in additional mines and was also pinned down by enemy fire. With no engineers this could have turned into another mess but his orders to them were, don’t go were the recon team is go around and though! He also ordered his two tank sections to land in the area the engineers had cleared earlier. He recognized the need to get their firepower on shore to help the engineers and infantry that were under pinned down.

Up North all was quiet except I was positive there was a third gun on the hill were the Rangers were going to attack.

In the center things finally started freeing up. The engineers cleared a path and then the two remaining squads went to assist in destroying the gun embankment. Cpt. Rochford also took the initiative and landed a platoon South of the E-W Road. This platoon did take casualties due to mines but they moved quickly off the beach toward there first objective, clearing the N-S hill that was firing upon Cpt. Denza’s company.

A second platoon was ordered diverted to that area. The first platoon soon encountered several squads of French Infantry as well as 75mm guns as well as anti tank guns and jeep mounted machine guns. These guns were all up on a large hill. The second platoon was ordered to follow the first and sweep the guns off the hill.
As this was happening we had a breakthrough in the South. Two platoons were landed in his Southern route and they quickly took out several squads of French infantry and started moving towards our main objectives. Meanwhile the tank sections provided enough cover to allow the engineers to clear the beach and the infantry to move forward towards the gun encasement. The encasement was on a rise just off the beach and I suspected they had other guns up there as well that we had not yet encountered. Cpt. Denza ordered one of his recon teams up the side of the rise out of sight of the main gun and sure enough…mines! This took out the recon team. He then ordered one of his squads to bypass the mines and advance on the rise.

His two Southern platoons had also been joined another recon team. Without benefit of the tanks they continued their advance toward their main objectives, Cpt. Denza and his headquarter squad also landed at this time.

The two platoons encountered light resistance from French engineers and infantry and quickly took the objectives. The first of our objectives were in our hands at 0928. Hard to believe it was less than ½ hour. Cpt. Denza reminded the platoon leaders that they should pursue the quickly fleeing French until they surrendered or were eliminated. I do not believe they had the heart because they both reported that the French units were fleeing in an unorganized state and no longer presented a threat to our forces.

Another lesson learned. There are only two types of enemies that will not come back to bite you, dead and caught!

Cpt. Denza told his platoon leaders to break off pursuit at this time and regroup. His third platoon was also making progress. They went up the side of the rise and eliminated two AT guns, and his engineers had surrounded the encasement. Meanwhile his tank sections eliminated the French from the E-W hill that was firing upon them on the beach.

In the center things continued to unfold. First additional platoons were landed to the North of the E-W road and followed the path cleared by the engineers. There was very little resistance. The recon unit leading these groups encountered heavy fire about 450 yards in. Both from A-T guns and tanks themselves! A squad of engineers was dispatched to eliminate one tank immediately that was threatening the recon units. The tank was eliminated but the engineer unit took heavy casualties by French infantry waiting near by. At the same time the gun encasement in this area was destroyed.

Cpt. Rochford also began to land his tanks sections. One section was dispatched to the area were the encasement was and one tank became stuck on the beach behind A-T barriers North and South, and mines in front. Another engineer squad was dispatched to remove the barriers and lost half the squad to mines upon arrival.

M company also began to be fired upon at this time by two additional tanks that were on the hill to the North that was the Rangers main objective. Several mortar squads were also being set up on the beach and Cpt. Rochford came ashore at this time. The main landing area began to be shelled and several mortar squads, a recon squad and the Captains headquarter squad became pinned under the weight of the shelling.

Cpt. Rochford’s other squads to the South of the road also became pinned. Several houses along the road began firing at the first platoon and were quickly overcome by the second allowing the first to continue moving South to the E-W hill firing upon Cpt. Denza.

They encountered one final French squad when they were overcome from machine gun fire and heavy gunfire from the hill and another squad they did not know about. One of our squads was completely eliminated, the platoon leaders squad retreated under heavy fire and the MG squad was still pinned down by the houses. These units were for the most part eliminated from action for the duration of this battle.

Cpt. Rochford dispatched a tank section to aid the fighting in this area and to help put some fire on the guns on the N-S hill. Help was also on its way from the South.

Cpt. Denza ordered a recon team to advance over the rise and on to a small round mound just past the rise where the encasement was under attack. Every other enemy unit on the rise was now eliminated. The two regrouped platoons that had taken the objectives were to advance behind the recon elements.

The remainder of a third platoon plus two tank sections were ordered to help clear the hill in Cpt. Rochford's area and to link up with M company.

The recon teams gave the all clear signal and the two platoons began advancing between the rise and the mound. After a few minutes they came under fire from a 6 Pd A-T gun. No casualties were reported but no one could get a bearing on this gun.

On the other side of the rise the tanks and the third platoon advanced on the other hill via a small road that led to it. The tanks quickly eliminated the jeeps that were firing on Cpt. Rochford’s platoon. The platoon helped eliminate the two squads that had helped decimate the 1st platoon of M Company and they linked up with the tank section attached to M Company. Together they broached the opposite side of the hill and took fire from the original 6 pdr., another 6 pdr., and some engineers.

On the other side of this hill, to the East of the intersection there was a small village and a lot of the fire was coming from that direction. Via runners the two Captains conferred and decided on a joint attack south of the road. S Company recon would reconnoiter the area South of the road and behind the hills. This was a wide vast flat area that led to the village (which was not one of our objectives) just to the East of the village, still to the South of the road was another large hill. 1st and 2nd platoon S Company would advance across his area under cover on the hill from two tank sections and 3rd platoon S Company.

Cpt. Denza was making camp at our objectives at this time, and the engineer platoon was still trying to take down the encasement.

Cpt. Rochford was still pinned down on the beach but maintained communication via the previously mentioned runners.

Meanwhile 2nd Platoon M Company eliminated the enemy from the houses just off the beach and went up the northern end of the hill where they took fire from a 37mm gun and some more engineers.

To the North of the road the tank section designated to join up with the Rangers was in trouble. That tank was still stuck by barriers and mines. We decided to land the dozer tank that was with the Rangers offshore and send it South. Meanwhile 3rd platoon M company was under fire from two 37 MM guns on a small rise that jutted out from the main hill just to the East of the now defunct gun encasement. They also were taking fire from two tanks well to the North, and another tank just to the South of the rise and several infantry squads.

Two tank sections were told to drive towards the intersection that was our objective and the MG squad and one infantry squad from 2nd Platoon were diverted to assist. The tank to the South of the rise was eliminated but several French MG began firing on the two squads from 2nd platoon. The guns were on yet another hill to the NE of the intersection, due North of the village. Attached to each company was one 37mm GMC tank destroyer. M companies tank destroyer was successful in taking out one tank to the North but became immobilized after being fired upon by one of the French 37’s.

3rd Platoon meanwhile continued a slow advance towards the 37’s, and finally silenced them after ten minutes. The advance in this area was so rapid that we began to encounter fleeing French squads intermingled with our own troops. This not only caused confusion but also forced us to deal with them diverting us from our main goal.

I also ordered the ranger recon units ashore at 1015. Of course the dozer tank sent to rescue our stuck M2A4 found itself clearing mines just to get to the tank.

Cpt. Rochford also ordered his two free Engineer squads to join the fight for the intersection.

As this was going on 1st platoon S company began approaching the hill that ran parallel to e-w road just past the small village. They were immediately fired on by another 37mm gun. 2nd platoon S company was approaching the village and eliminated a sniper and an engineer squad.

3rd platoon S company and the three tank sections eliminated the remaining engineers, and one 6 pdr, and the other squads of 2nd platoon M company eliminated the other 6 pdr.

Cpt. Rochford began moving East along the E-W road.

Cpt. Denza was in for a nasty surprise.

Upon setting up base camp at the captured Southern objectives, S companies HQ squad was attacked by one of the French infantry squads that was fleeing in a disorganized manner. The HQ squad had to pull back at this time, but still held the objectives. An armored car assigned to the engineer platoon attacking the remaining gun encasement was sent to the aid of HQ and forced the withdrawal of the French squad.

The question remained however, just how big was this counter attack. Only three squads of engineers were close enough to help out, and at least one of the squads was very badly hurt. We found out just how bad the situation was a few minutes later when a French engineer squad attacked and destroyed the armored car. Our off shore artillery was ordered to fire on the area were the APC was.

The recon units assigned to the Rangers landed in the North and quickly discovered mines, and two French infantry squads. With no engineer support the Rangers were advised to tread carefully, even so several casualties were encountered. The second tank on the hill of the northern objective began firing upon the Rangers and our dozer tank took time of from clearing mines and fired and destroyed this tank.

The two tank sections, elements of 2nd platoon M company, and two engineer squads approached and removed all enemy resistance around the intersection. One squad from 3rd platoon then moved in and secured these objectives. It was 1021 and we now had two of our five objectives.

1st platoon S Company took the hill to the east of the village and eliminated the 37’s the French had there. They also took up over watch positions on the road and the village. 2nd platoon S company eliminated all resistance in the village and were ordered to take the hill North of the village were MG’s were firing down on the intersection. One tank section that had eliminated opposition on the approach to the intersection was ordered to assist 2nd platoon S Company in the taking of the hill.

In the South the artillery fire seemed to have slowed any French advance towards the objectives and S Company HQ. One of the engineer squads on the hill assaulting the gun encasement was sent to reinforce S HQ and took several casualties from mines. Several minutes later they took additional casualties from a French gun crew that was trying to sneak back to their 37mm gun.

Up North the Rangers were being reinforced with one tank from the tank section originally assigned and the second tank section that helped take the intersection. Meanwhile 3rd platoon M Company was about to learn the same lesson Cpt. Denza did. Both gun crews on the hill had re-manned their positions and started firing upon them, effectively pinning all but one squad of third platoon down, that squad was already at the intersection.

The Rangers swept through three French squads on the beach and assaulted their hill. They quickly overcame a French cavalry squad and the remains of the two tank crews and took the objectives before the tanks reached them. The time 1037. Three down two to go.

1st platoon S Company explored the hill they were on and found that it provided excellent over watch on the next set of objectives. They sent a MG squad to the rear of the hill to set up the overwatch.

2nd platoon S Company quickly got to the top of the hill before another pair of 37mm guns stopped them. They were able to take one out, but a second remained. The tank section assigned to help overcame the first MG and began firing on the second.

Meanwhile Cpt. Rochford was put in charge of all platoons, except for the Rangers who remained under my command, because of Cpt. Denza’s situation. I was now ashore and working closely with Cpt. Rochford.

Cpt. Rochford ordered 2nd Platoon M company, two tank sections, 3rd Platoon S company, two squads of engineers that had assisted in taking the intersection, two recon teams, and one squad from 3rd Platoon M company to organize in the area to the South of the intersection, due West of the village. This would be the attack elements for the final objectives.

I ordered one Squad of Rangers, and the recon elements to remain at our northern objectives. I then ordered the one Ranger platoon, the dozer tank, the ½ a tank section, and the remaining tank section to move due east until they connected with a North-South road that swung behind our objectives. They were to set up a defensive perimeter behind the objectives to prevent any units from escaping, and to eliminate any artillery or mortar units. The remaining Ranger squads were ordered to take the other N-S road that led to the intersection and continue South to aid Cpt. Denza.

As the final group assembled more straggling French showed up in their midst. These elements were disposed of. A MG squad from 1st platoon M Company was ordered to the intersection along with the remaining squads from 3rd platoon M Company as soon as they dispatched those 37’s!

As it turned out the Rangers had a homecoming with those 37’s on their way South and eliminated them.

2nd platoon S company knocked out the last remaining 37 on their hill and the tanks took our the remaining MG.

1st platoon S Company’s MG squad came under fire on the Eat side of their hill and an APC was destroyed in the same area. The attack was coming from the vicinity of our next objective which was on the other side of a small rise that ran N-S across the
E-W road. Additional squads were sent to that side of the hill and they soon located a French infantry squad and a French AT squad. 1st platoon soon started returning fire.

An artillery strike was also ordered for the area around our last two objectives. The last objective was further East along the road behind another small N-S rise.

Our strike force moved out and proceed down the road to the hill 1st platoon S company was on. 1st Platoon was able to suppress the infantry squad and take out the AT gun. A French cavalry unit was also spotted and fired upon.

The Rangers arrived in the South and took out the gun crew on the rise, and located two additional French infantry squads jus to the East of the objectives. The Rangers removed all three threats and both squads then went to join the assault on that gun encasement.

Meanwhile our artillery strike was delayed by 15 minutes and the strike force had to wait. Once the strike was over The recon teams moved in and found a command post and additional cavalry beyond the first rise. 2nd platoon M company moved to the top of the rise and began taking fire from the cavalry. The command post was also successful in driving back one of their squads.

The squad from 2nd platoon M company was successful going around the flank and approaching from the side so the engineers were ordered to follow the same path.

The engineers took out the command post and our tanks joined the fight up on the ridge driving the cavalry back. When they went over the second ridge they were in the sights of the rangers and tank section along the next N-S road and were taken out. The remaining French were now surrounded!

We sent another tank section and the remaining infantry squads around the Northern flank to attack the rear objectives from the North. They encountered another AT team one infantry squad and the French HQ.

The tank section on the first rise occupied those objectives and drove the remaining cavalry over the second rise to be dealt with by the Rangers. The AT gun and infantry squad were removed from the battlefield and the French HQ surrendered.

The time was 1058. We had taken all objectives in less than two hours.

Post mortem – We had 141 battlefield casualties, the French 419. The only prisoners taken were the French HQ.

We need to be quicker off the beaches and find a way to deal with mines better. We must also remember to finish off the enemy. It is not good enough to just drive them away, they come back!

Addendum to original report, dated 11-14-42. Gen. Patton sent me a note which I have copied verbatim into this report:

Colonel, it has com to my atension that you did not gett on the beech until over an our after the inisial landen. I have ben told this was do to beech crowding. Next time to avois this be on the beech 1st!!!

End of note.

Mister I'm not a boy no I'm a man/and I believe in the promised land...
Post #: 1
- 3/26/2002 1:21:43 PM   
Fallschirmjager

Nice job.

I personally dont like AAR stories but that just me.

Nice start. Yours reads alot like a journel more than a cut and dry AAR but thats a quality.

Keep up the good work.

(in reply to bobaloo000)
Post #: 2
- 3/26/2002 1:50:28 PM   
Mojo

Good job. I was going to try my hand at one tonight but thanks to Wild Bill I got my first ever CD. Who wants to read about that!
Humiliating

If something's not working you might want to tunk it a dite.
Mojo's Mom

(in reply to bobaloo000)
Post #: 3
- 3/27/2002 6:43:42 AM   
bobaloo000

Updated, would enjoy feedback. Thanks.

(in reply to bobaloo000)
Post #: 4
- 3/27/2002 7:03:41 AM   
Paul Vebber

I enjoy the heck out narrative "I was there" sort of stories, not really AARs in teh classic sense, more like historical novels!

Your's is excellent! Keep them comming! I think it helps everybody get more enjoyment out of the game to think through a running narrative liek that during a game!

Sharing them with others is a real time investment we really appreciate!

(in reply to bobaloo000)
Post #: 5
- 3/28/2002 6:27:58 AM   
bobaloo000

Paul, thanks for the kind words. I have just posted the final update. This was the first battle in a WW2 campaign playing under 7.0, I will upgrade after the second battle.

I only got a draw on this but thats because all objectives were set to get 20 points for every turn you hold them.

My next battle is at Fondouk so I'm off to the desert with the AEF!

(in reply to bobaloo000)
Post #: 6
- 3/28/2002 7:41:12 AM   
Fallschirmjager

Nice job I just see one problem.

[QUOTE]It is not good enough to just drive them away, they come back![/QUOTE]

The FRENCH coming back?
Come on be serious here. :D

(in reply to bobaloo000)
Post #: 7
- 3/28/2002 8:04:08 AM   
BruceAZ

Nice job! It reads like a historical novel. :D

5th Recon
Semper Fi

(in reply to bobaloo000)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> New AAR Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI