Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The Evacuation of Rangoon

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Evacuation of Rangoon Page: <<   < prev  16 17 [18] 19 20   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Evacuation of Rangoon - 5/25/2008 5:21:49 AM   
ny59giants

quote:

I fear not to infuriate my overlords, but have little advice at this time. Things look better, except for the resources going to Thailand TF120, Bangkok should have a surplus. Have a look around Darrien & near bases for excess fuel/Oil too ... as a quick "small" top up method.

Tf 120 is at Bangkok to "load" Resources. I think TF 23 is headed to Indo-China to try to get another 80k of Resources out of there. Hanoi has over 200k, but I "hope" the AI will move them down when I try to load them up. Is there another way to get the AI to move them to a port connected by rail?? From my limited experience, if they are available and close by the AI will move them when you try to load them.

quote:

Humbly I beg that you send some Oil to Formosa, Thailand & Indo-China as they should be the next priorities.

I have TF 26 loading 24k in Oil at Brunei for Saigon and it looks like TF 24 at Miri will need to take it's 44k to Formosa. Now to get the War Minister (John) to send me a turn so I can issues the proper orders.

I readily take any feedback on how to make this economy work better. I expect to see your smiling face on my AAR once I get it going against John.

About, Hokkaido, I will make a separate region for this WitPTracker, but in Empire Ablaze they have HCF (High Capacity Ferry) between the islands (RHS concept).

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 511
Ministers - 5/25/2008 5:24:26 AM   
John 3rd

My Esteemed Economics Ministers:

Please read the letter just sent to your respective offices at the bottom of Page 16.

Yours,

War Minister Cochran

< Message edited by John 3rd -- 5/25/2008 6:35:32 AM >

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 512
RE: Ministers - 5/25/2008 5:53:35 AM   
ny59giants

War Minister Cochran,

The Economics Ministry needs a turn tonight or early tomorrow to help ensure your success on the High Seas.  

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 513
RE: Ministers - 5/25/2008 6:36:48 AM   
John 3rd

You already got one ya yutz!

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 514
MIA/WIA - 5/25/2008 9:37:45 AM   
John 3rd

Technical Game question where I will NOT consult the Almighty Handbook.  I have a number of pilots among my aces who are Wounded in Action or Missing in Action right now.  How is this handled?  Does anyone know what the computer does with these designations?

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 515
RE: Dear Ministers... - 5/25/2008 9:40:00 AM   
n01487477

quote:

A State of Emergency must be declared, loyal subjects should be lined up fireman style from Sasebo to Toyko with buckets. And all trains, trucks and carts made available to distribute.

To clarify, your understanding is not flawed John, I was using theatrics when there was no need.

quote:

It gives me a headache. The rules--as I learned them from the GREAT HANDBOOK--said that you hauled Resources/Oil from one point and then it got AUTOMATICALLY shipped to all relevant points in the Home Islands.

Yes, they do get transported and distributed among the Is. of Kyushu, Shikoku and Honshu, but obviously not Hokkaido. There seems to be a pulse every 2-3 turns that does this. Or maybe it is my imagination.

Sorry for the misunderstanding..

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 516
September 1943 Victory Point/Production Report - 5/25/2008 10:39:28 AM   
John 3rd

September 1, 1943
Victory Points and Economic Summary

Victory Points:

Score
Japan   43,410  (Up 971 Points)
Allies    18,763  (Up 1,247 Points)

The month REALLY heated up!  Massive aerial and ground fighting at Rangoon/Moulmein as well as the invasion of Iwo Jima and surrounding islands punctuated the middle-to-end of the month. 

Ships Sunk
Japan   398—3,547 VP (up 269)—I lost 42 ships (ZERO warships lost) sunk during August.  Exact losses were:  11 AP, 14 AK, 2 TK, 8 MSW, 2 AG, and 5 ML.

Major Japanese Vessels Sunk to Date---CV Junyo and Hiyo, BB Fuso and Yamashiro, BC Kirishima, CAs Kinugasa, Kako, and Mikuma, 5 CL, 33 DD (16 Modern DD lost), and 22 SS (18 I-Boats and 4 Ro-).

Allies    636---7,429 VP (up 135)---Dan lost a total of 25 ships for the month of August.  His losses were:  6 PT-Boats, 15 AK, 2 AP, 1 LST, and 1 AS.

Major Allied Vessels Sunk---CVs Enterprise, Lexington, Hornet, and Wasp, BBs Colorado, West Virginia, Idaho, Tennessee, Arizona, and Prince of Wales, 9 CA, 7 CL, 49 DD, and 13 SS.

Manchukuo Garrison---8,117---Down 27---(8,000 Needed)
Political Points---2,802

Units Transferred: 
Home Islands               54rd Infantry Division to 4th Fleet
Lots of Air Transfers between HQ

Industrial Report
Supply              2,551,398
Fuel                  881,061
Manpower       853 (1,171,874)
Heavy Industry 15,235 (29,526)
Resources        20,172 (2,195,626)
Oil                    2,182 (578,542)

HUGE changes in numbers!  Heavy Industry rose 128 points and I created a HUGE stockpile in the same area.  Kudos to my Economic Minister.  Fuel and Oil are still frightening but we have a 235,000 oil TF just unloading at Osaka.  Should note that—thanks to Minister Benoit—I repaired 60 oil centers during August.

Shipyards
Naval               1,366 (2)
Merchant          981 (4)
Repair              1,508

Battleships
Musashi (115 Days)
Ise (32 Days)   
Hyuga (49 Days)

Carriers
Katsuragi (303 Days)--Accelerated
Kasagi (576 Days)
Aso (620 Days)   

Launched CVL Chiyoda

Weapons
Armament        572 (59,362)
Vehicles           171 (338)

With my economic issues last month I shut down a bunch of armaments and vehicles.  They have been restarted.  Didn’t see a big drop in Armament numbers but my vehicles dropped by nearly 3,000 due to nearly all my Armored Regiments and 2 Armored Divisions resting and refitting.

Aircraft
Engines 2,159
Assembly         1,283+(644-Rd)

Bumped Nakajima and Kawasaki engines some.  With Judy coming online I need to raise the Aichi engines a bunch as well.  Research took a big drop as I started a whole new set of planes into actual production!

Engine Production
Mitsubishi         610/Month—Need 585—2,119 in Pool
Nakajima         1,321—Need 1,079---139 in Pool
Kawasaki         208 (52)---Need 66---93 in Pool
Aichi                20---Need 98---334 in Pool

By having my Aichi produce the paltry 20 engines month I have over 3 months of engines stockpiled before I need more.  This provides plenty of time to increase engine production to keep up with the airframes.

Plane Production
Fighters            Planes/Month (in Pool)
A6M2              0 (137)
A6M3              0 (18)
A6M3a            165 (72)
Oscar               0 (223)
Oscar IIa          58 (187)
Tojo                 76 (11)
Tony                66 (37)
Jack                 197 (22)
A6M5c            45 (35)
A6M5              32 (23)
Oscar III          14 (0)
Ki-61 Tony      407-Rd (10/43)—Moved up another month so it is THREE months early!
N1K1 George  28-Rd (11/43)---Moved up ONE month!
Frank 1a          8-Rd (08/44)

Big fighter developments!  My Jacks started production in August and I have already filled 4 Daitai.  Will shut down Oscar II now that III is running.  My Zeke’s will spin up quickly as well.  When the new Tony kicks in next month, I will shift a bunch of its research over to Frank.

Bombers
Betty                0 (381)
Betty 2             54 (17)
Sally                 66 (3)
Helen               131 (16)
Lily                   114 (0)
Nick-a             27 (4)
Nick-b             12 (0)
Val                   0 (355)
Kate                 63 (60)
Judy                 98 (18)
Jill                    57-Rd (10/43)

With the exception of Army Lily Sentai, my Army bombers are completely restocked with Sally and Helen.  My Bettys continue to shift from Betty 1 to Betty 2.  Judys are now rolling and they will be swapped into my CVs as fast as possible.  Cannot wait for Jill in October!

Recon/Float
Emily    20 (11)
Alf        0 (26)
Pete     0  (69)
Pete A  0  (54)
Rufe     6 (18)
Glen     4 (38)
Dinah   0 (0)
Irving-R 42 (62)
Irving-S 23 (15)
Jake     8 (92)
Babs    0 (0)

Lost a bunch of Emily to the US CVs!  Am planning on shutting down Jake and moving its research into something else.  Any ideas?

Transports
Tina      10 (70)
Sally     0 (25)
Topsy   0 (0)
Mavis-L 5 (21)
Tabby 10 (96)

Am shifting out Topsy for Tabby transports and just ordered Tina to closeout its production.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 517
RE: Dear Ministers... - 5/25/2008 10:47:49 AM   
John 3rd

There was no misunderstanding. I was laughing my butt off when I read you and Mike's Postings! I was trying to be in the same vein with my "Letter to the Ministers" note.

Seriously--Thanks for the help and suggestions.

Am working on that bucket brigade but am having problems finding able bodied people to take care of it. Could DOGS/CATS help?

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 518
RE: MIA/WIA - 5/25/2008 3:56:05 PM   
Mike Solli

quote:

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

Technical Game question where I will NOT consult the Almighty Handbook.  I have a number of pilots among my aces who are Wounded in Action or Missing in Action right now.  How is this handled?  Does anyone know what the computer does with these designations?

WIA pilots will return to their units.......eventually. I've seen some come back in a couple of weeks and some seem to linger at the convalesent center for months. It's a random die roll.

MIA are captured. They are gone for the duration.

Created by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 519
RE: Dear Ministers... - 5/25/2008 3:56:55 PM   
Mike Solli

quote:

ORIGINAL: n01487477

quote:

A State of Emergency must be declared, loyal subjects should be lined up fireman style from Sasebo to Toyko with buckets. And all trains, trucks and carts made available to distribute.

To clarify, your understanding is not flawed John, I was using theatrics when there was no need.

quote:

It gives me a headache. The rules--as I learned them from the GREAT HANDBOOK--said that you hauled Resources/Oil from one point and then it got AUTOMATICALLY shipped to all relevant points in the Home Islands.

Yes, they do get transported and distributed among the Is. of Kyushu, Shikoku and Honshu, but obviously not Hokkaido. There seems to be a pulse every 2-3 turns that does this. Or maybe it is my imagination.

Sorry for the misunderstanding..

Yup, every 3 days the AI will redistribute oil and resources based on need.

Created by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 520
RE: MIA/WIA - 5/25/2008 4:08:56 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

quote:

Technical Game question where I will NOT consult the Almighty Handbook. I have a number of pilots among my aces who are Wounded in Action or Missing in Action right now. How is this handled? Does anyone know what the computer does with these designations?

WIA pilots will return to their units.......eventually. I've seen some come back in a couple of weeks and some seem to linger at the convalesent center for months. It's a random die roll.

MIA are captured. They are gone for the duration.

One person recently reported one of his WIA aces was converted to a KIA - not sure if this was an isolated glitch, or there is a die roll to see if the pilot dies during recuperation.

i'd bet on the glitch, though.

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 521
Letters from Tokyo - 5/25/2008 4:49:11 PM   
John 3rd

Since everyone has been helping with economic issues, I thought I might copy a note I sent to the Minister of Economy just a few minutes ago.  This is simply a stream of thought but I thought it might be interesting to read...it is in response to a comment by Mike about my hatred of micromanagement...   Lord Benoit: I am all about the micromanagement at the moment.  When I did my update (at 2am my time--couldn't sleep and the kids woke up at 6:30am--GREAT!) I noticed a bunch of aircraft upgrade questions for Brian to answer.  Am about to post them on a Thread. When you look at the next turn (haven't seen one from Dan yet) notice that I formed a batch of small Supply convoys in the Home Islands.  I noted that we had 2-3 AK disbanded here and 2-3 AK disbanded there and decided to load them up and have them rendezvous near Formosa.  Once they rendezvous I intend to send them to the Marianas to pump those islands up with supplies.  After they unload, we could send them to either side of Aussieland for Resources.  What do you think of that? Like the idea of getting the oil to the eastern side of Australia.  Will move the FP this turn. In the spirit of micromanagement, I will send you the turn after I watch it and you can provide your thoughts, send it back to me, and then I will issue mine.  How does that sound? I spent nearly 2 hours on the turn last night after you sent it back: 1.  Finally lost Rangoon and decided to completely pull ALL air out of Moulmein for the moment.  Must rebuild and reconstitute those Sentai.  Hanoi is terribly overloaded with planes and I will spread them out as soon as I can. 2.  Moved a Daitai of Betty AND Zero to Broome to Recon and attack the Brit Navy if it is still operating in those waters.  We lost 8 AK to Dan's surprise strike there.  It was a nice move on his part... 3.  Want to move the KB out but would LOVE to wait fro my 3 CV coming up from the SE.  Their arrival would give me 9 CV and 2 CVL there to operate with.  This would mean that I had 700 strike aircraft to work with. 4.  Think I will wait to do this and let the CVL/CVE try to cause some chaos in his back lines first. 5.  Moved a bunch of crap around in China. 6.  Ditto Philippines... 7.  Am pulling another Aussie Inf Div from Brisbane to ship north. Thoughts? Grd-Adm Cochran  Mike--Thanks for your input regarding MIA/WIA!  I appreciate knowing how that works.  I think I have about 10-15 aces from the Rangoon/Moulmein fighting who are WIA right now.  

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 522
RE: Letters from Tokyo - 5/25/2008 5:13:52 PM   
ny59giants

I would prefer you using the 2500 capacity AKs to move supplies around and allow me to use the 5000 capacity for resources and long distance supply movement (higher endurance).

I have broken down some of the mega-TF to a max capacity of 50k for AK's and about 66k for TKs (6 x 11,000 capacity). With Dan having his CV around Iwo Jima, I don't want him to make a full speed move to the west and hit a TF with over 150k capacity in TKs being sunk. If that happened, then your economy would really hurt.

On ship production - Are there any late war subs that should NOT be halted?? I see a few eating up Naval Shipbuilding points last turn.   Now that you have installed WitPTracker, I expect my War Minister to monitor some of this more closely. He can also see how many ships are in need of upgrade (a few were due back in '42).

Minister Benoit

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 523
RE: Letters from Tokyo - 5/25/2008 5:44:45 PM   
ny59giants

John is receiving these Bde in the next 90 days. According to the LCU Production in WitPTracker, the first 6 come in with only 75% of their TO&E. How do I figure out how much armament, vehicles and manpower they will take to fill out??

I'm just a novice at this and its quite at home this morning so I have time to look at things.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 524
RE: Letters from Tokyo - 5/25/2008 5:56:08 PM   
John 3rd

We should have enough Armaments and Vehicles.  I turned all those back on once we got the HI surplus rolling.  Unfortunately they were off for nearly a month so that did hurt us some.  The big grop in vehicles was fairly alarming until I realized that nearly EVERY armored unit I have is out of combat and refitting.

Ship upgradewise things should be in good shape.  I've been rotating so much of the Fleet home it has pretty much been taking care of itself.  Will look around however...

Dan won't make a bold move out of the Iwo--Tori--Chichi triangle.  I'll bet the Imperial Presense on that.  With the force he brought within him, he could have easily taken the Marianas and/or made a great start on the Philippines!  I think my sit-back-and-wait strategy un-nerved him into this landing...

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 525
RE: Letters from Tokyo - 5/25/2008 6:13:23 PM   
ny59giants

quote:

Ship upgradewise things should be in good shape. I've been rotating so much of the Fleet home it has pretty much been taking care of itself. Will look around however...

Oh, really!!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 526
RE: Letters from Tokyo - 5/25/2008 6:24:24 PM   
John 3rd

I should also note that there are now elements of EIGHT Infantry Divisions on Iwo Jima at this moment and cannot scrape up the combat power to lower my Forts from 4 with an island defense of only 192 AS.  His troops HAD to be prepped for another target and are paying for it.  Everyday he cannot grab Iwo is another day his TF get mangled in my minefields.

The September 1st turn saw 20 mine explosions along AK and AP.  If my count is near accurate over 60 DIFFERENT ships have been hit my mines since he began landing at these three targets!

His infantry are taking significant losses while landing AND a number of AK/AP have sunk with troops still on them causing the 'rescuing' note to pop up when they sink.  Nearly every major infantry unit has had this happen.  The 3rd marines and 43rd ID have had 4 ships EACH go down with this note!  

So what does this mean?

1.  His infantry has taken real losses and he hasn't taken the island yet.  It is only a matter of time however...

2.  So many ships have been damaged that if and when he wants to move these units, he will have lost a significant portion of his transport capacity. 

3.  It is forcing him to stay on-station for ages.  Even the vaunted American logistics capablity cannot keep him at sea for a hugely long time.  Remember that this is still only Fall 1943...

4.  He has divided his TF into four sections:
a.  Damaged ships and PTs at Tori Shima (Port 1)---3 units ashore there (Marine Para Btn, RCT, and BF)
b.  Several TF at Chichi Jima (Port 0)--2 units ashore (Raider Btn and Seabee)
c.  Iwo Jima (AF 4 Port 1)--23 units ashore
d.  His main fleet with AO/TK and CVs in the middle of the islands

Planning:
1.  I will extend my Tokyo LBA (250 planes) attack radius to one hex past Tori Shima.
2.  Will strike at Tori Shima again with 2 CA, 2 CL, 5 DD.
3.  Heavy TF approaching Japan with 2 BB and 14 DD.
4.  CVL/CVE TF (208 planes) moving into a position 12 hexes due east of his Fleet.
5.  KB waiting for arrival of 3 CV (700 planes) from Papaete and will then move on a portion of his divided Fleet.
6.  Am reinforcing Pagan (150 planes) and extending raiding range to one hex away from Iwo Jima.

I will pick around the edges and see if I can get him to make a mistake...

It is a strange situation.  Anyone got any bright ideas?

< Message edited by John 3rd -- 5/25/2008 6:36:30 PM >

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 527
RE: Letters from Tokyo - 5/25/2008 6:30:30 PM   
BrucePowers

Logistically, wouldn't he have had a hard keeping Iwo supplied even if he took it?

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 528
RE: Letters from Tokyo - 5/25/2008 6:39:42 PM   
John 3rd

Darned right!  This is a case of getting ted to a base just like the Americans were at Guadalcanal and even Okinawa.  He HAS to defend it.  That AF is good sized at Iwo but very vulnerable to bombardment.  I will do that once I've moved BBs to Saipan.

I forgot to mention that the Kaigun's BBs have been pulled from the KB and are being sent to Saipan:  4 BB plus a significant portion of cruiser/DD escorts.  They will strike from Pagan.  It is a one day roundtrip speed run for them.  Hit and run like HELL!

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to BrucePowers)
Post #: 529
RE: Letters from Tokyo - 5/25/2008 6:41:09 PM   
John 3rd

Michael--Thanks for that printout.  I had missed the mid-43 upgrades for the DDs.  They will have to go into battle as they are but then will go into port for those refits.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 530
RE: Letters from Tokyo - 5/25/2008 6:42:55 PM   
Nemo121

Simple, this is a huge opportunity.

1. You need to try and hit everything he has at sea ( except the CV TFs obviously ) in an effort to nibble away at his forces. Don't be too timid, extend the bomber range to just short of Iwo Jima.

2. Bring your carrier-capable fighters to Saipan etc and then race your CVs up to take up position in between Iwo and Pearl Harbour ( where he will retreat to ).

3. As your CVs swing past your last friendly islands dock them, replenish their fuel and ammunition and fly off all but a very small number of dive-bombers and torpedo-bombers. Think of keeping 1 DB squadron for every 3 CVs - so if you have a 3 CV TF carrying something like 210 planes then it will carry 180 fighters and 30 dive-bombers.

4. Then run to the position athwart his escape route and let the 30 DBs pick off the cripples as they pass you by.

5. The US will HAVE to react to this and so long as you are smart and stay on the defensive with 90% CAP you should be able to muster enough fighters to truly massacre his initial strike.

6. On Day 2 of the battle fly in all those DBs and TBs which are hanging around at the Japanese-held island nearest to Iwo Jima. Let the DBs and TBs take the places vacated by the fighter pilots who died defending the fleet the day before and then on Day 2 launch your counter-strike.

With just a little luck this should help you cripple the enemy CV fleet and give you a good chance to mop up his remaining APs, AKs etc.

Without US CVs etc to interfere you can enact a 2nd phase of operations in which you make for Japan, replenish your fighters, bombers etc and send your entire fleet down to Iwo ( under cover of your CVs) with a view to bombarding the airbase there into oblivion. Once that airbase is closed for even a single day you should unleash ever land-based bomber you have and keep it closed. Over time wear the Allies down, let them run out of supplies and repair and replenish KB so that it can come out and massacre any relief/re-supply effort.

If the Allies are landing multiple divisions at Iwo they simply can't afford to abandon it and so you can turn this into a situation which forces the Allies to engage in attritional warfare on terms HUGELY favourable to yourself.

You need though to make sure that any tactical or operational plan you have creates a major strategic opening. It is no use crippling his CVs if you don't use that to win great strategic advantage.

P.s. Your plan of hitting Iwo with BBs and running like hell is highly sub-optimal.

You need to consider the following:
1. BBs etc without air cover are highly vulnerable - your plan contains no component to protect those BBs on the ingress or egress. Running like hell isn't much of a plan.

2. BBs and CAs are bomb magnets AND have very heavy AAA. This makes them useful as CV escorts.

Your plan splits your force and makes each component ( the BB bombardment component and the CV component ) MUCH weaker than if they went in together. Why are you making yourself so much more vulnerable than you have to be?

Keep the BBs and CAs together with your CVs and let them take some of the heat off your CVs when your CVs meet the enemy in battle. Then AFTER the CV battle is decided you can always send the BBs and CAs in under the protection of your CVs. So you get none of the disadvantages of your plan and you get several advantages AND you accomplish at least as much --- albeit it will take a few more days.

Lastly, there's no point closing the airfield by bombardment if you aren't going to be able to keep it closed. If you bombard it now the US CVs can LRCAP Iwo and replace the CAP while the airfield is repaired. So EVEN if everything went perfectly you wouldn't actually achieve anything strategically significant.

My assessment : You'll just lose BBs and CAs, close the field for a couple of days and have your Bettys butchered by LRCAP from the US CVs. Then your CVs will go in and they will suffer heavier losses than necessary as they won't have the CAs and BBs available as escort. You really need to look at your plan and ask yourself if it really is the BEST way to achieve your strategic imperatives of:
a) crippling the US CV fleet and
b) closing Iwo Jima airfield for good.

< Message edited by Nemo121 -- 5/25/2008 7:00:21 PM >

(in reply to BrucePowers)
Post #: 531
RE: Letters from Tokyo - 5/25/2008 6:50:03 PM   
John 3rd

I could not have said it better Sir!  Thanks for the thoughts and ideas.  This counterattack was going to be tactical but has grown into a potential strategic counterstroke.  This is why I am taking my time to do it.  He only gets weaker as he stays there and I am getting stronger...

Well said and written Kind Sir!

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 532
Is THIS why? - 5/26/2008 2:58:59 AM   
John 3rd

Something has chewing on my brain since this whole crazy set of landings commenced and now Michael has brought it into focus.  CAN you use a Size-1 Port to replenish CV and BB?  I had always ASSUMED that you couldn't.  This is why you cannot disband a TF until you get to a minimum anchorage of 3.

The entire American Fleet moved to Tori Shima on the 2nd and stayed there...

If you can then this changes the WHOLE thing and alters the attitude I have been working under.  He can refuel, rearm, replenish, and replace losses indefinately.  If so, what a load of crap! 

Please---someone tell me one way or the other...

< Message edited by John 3rd -- 5/26/2008 3:14:16 AM >

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 533
RE: Is THIS why? - 5/26/2008 3:19:34 AM   
bbbf

Yes he can. The CV's will restock missions, the heavy weapons on CA,BB won't restock without an AE and supply, torpedos won't restock on surface ships without an AD.

< Message edited by bbbf -- 5/26/2008 3:20:59 AM >

Robert Lee

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 534
RE: Is THIS why? - 5/26/2008 3:39:08 AM   
Nemo121

John 3rd,

Not only can he do this but this was the reason I gave for his capture of Tori Shima.

(in reply to bbbf)
Post #: 535
RE: Is THIS why? - 5/26/2008 3:49:24 AM   
John 3rd

I just re-read your note and saw what you said.  Dammit.  I remember it but it really didn't make a solid connection until Mike's comment.

Does this change things?  He still as to move back-and-forth with supply and fuel.  He has dozens of damaged ships as well.  Need to think on this and not get too riled up.

This is something I would never do.  Guess for others it is OK.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 536
RE: Is THIS why? - 5/26/2008 4:01:07 AM   
Nemo121

1. The Allies have so many AKs and APs that if you sink 50 in a month he can just replace them with the 50 he received that month. For the prize of taking Iwo he can afford to lose 50 or 60 Aks and APs quite easily. If he can hold Iwo he has sped up the end of the war by many months.

2. He can only fight one major surface combat before his CAs and BBs are pretty much out of big shells BUT he can replenish his fuel, AAA and, most importantly, airplane stocks quite easily.

This is why you need a plan which defeats his navy in one short, sharp shock in such a manner that you kill a shedload of his pilots while recovering most of your own shot down pilots ( since they are on CAP ) and can then IMMEDIATELY exploit the victory to force his remaining ships to vacate the area. It doesn't matter if he holds Tori Shima if he has no CVs in the area and you've got the whole of KB.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 537
RE: Is THIS why? - 5/26/2008 4:15:10 AM   
ny59giants

I was looking over our Empire looking to see if you were a squirrel and had hidden some fuel somewhere. No such luck! I was back to playing with my new "toy" - WitPTracker and trying to figure out the whole Oil situation. The picture about the crisis being over is incorrect. Actually, it will last another 5 months!!

Japan has 15146 in HI. Subtract the 415 in Australia leaves 14731 HI.
Japan has 2148 Oil centers which means x 6 = 12888. That leaves us -1843 in Oil. Divide that number by 6 to get the need for another 307 repaired Oil centers. With Palembang and Balikpapan repairing two per day, that means another 150 days (5 months) until we just break even.

Can someonme double check my math and please tell me I'm wrong?? Please!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 538
RE: Is THIS why? - 5/26/2008 10:18:32 AM   
castor troy

quote:

Something has chewing on my brain since this whole crazy set of landings commenced and now Michael has brought it into focus.  CAN you use a Size-1 Port to replenish CV and BB?  I had always ASSUMED that you couldn't.  This is why you cannot disband a TF until you get to a minimum anchorage of 3.

The entire American Fleet moved to Tori Shima on the 2nd and stayed there...

If you can then this changes the WHOLE thing and alters the attitude I have been working under.  He can refuel, rearm, replenish, and replace losses indefinately.  If so, what a load of crap! 

Please---someone tell me one way or the other...

short answer: yes he can rearm and refuel EVERYTHING in one turn at such a level 1 port...

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 539
RE: Is THIS why? - 5/26/2008 12:59:44 PM   
n01487477

Re: HI production and Oil supplies
priority: urgent

Minister,
your calculations seem correct, so let me help you develop a course of action.

1. don't build any more HI factories and stop repairing the ones you have...
2. my plan is to reduce the number of HI needed, hence reducing the Oil you need.

Pity I can't see the witpchart, but from the figures I can see ... you currently need 11610(HI/day)

2165 engines / 30days * 18 =1299 HI/day
1760 planes / 30 Days * 18 =1056 HI/day
2347 Ship yard * 3 = 7041 HI/day
248 Arm * 6 = 1488 HI/day
121 Veh * 6 = 726 HI/day
(the chart will tell you this - numbers red)

Grand Total 11610 HI needed per turn = 1935 Oil Centres
John has 2148 OC * 6 = 12888 to fuel 12888 HI/day

So currently John is ok.And within acceptable loss from transport and other distribution factors.
Not sure about the new industry he is building (in unknown numbers at present)

However if he brings the arm and veh factories online 374*6 = 2244 HI needed, then this will tip him over.As will more engine/plane production.

4. So any HI factories over this oil supply will run short of Oil.
I believe, from what I can see, you must maximise this.
Apart from maintaining Japan supplied ... 8000 /day

You should "top up" areas to get the maximum effect. (these area produce Oil but not a surplus)
Korea/Manchuria = 265/day
Formosa = 180/day
Nth China = 240/day

& then look at area's where there's no Oil, but bang for the buck ... like Sth China. Note HI is global.
Although maybe quicker runs might suit better.... your choice here.

5. Lastly of note, I did some testing regarding running down Oil supplies, in a closed economy of just Japan, and it is somewhat forgiving, but alas not exact. That is to say, it wont consume all the Oil exactly to zero. It will eat into his HI, then slowly Ship Building, Arm,Veh points will stop accumulating and planes and engines will stop producing at a diminishing rate. But I really would like to do some hard figures to tell exactly what will occur... please don;t let this happen, it is the sun, before supernova ...

Turn off what you don't need, or streamline it to what you can accept. Less merchant shipbuilding perhaps or a reduced naval shipbuild, or engine more than planes you don't need for now.

6.John has 30K HI points, enough for 3 days without Oil/HI building. Be careful with it. If you need to run it down, then do it incrementally, if possible.

Regards

D.Heywood - the under-secretary to the under-secretary of the advisor to the Minister.
disclaimer *** (if any figures are incorrect I apologise, but this is what I can see from the screen data)

< Message edited by n01487477 -- 5/28/2008 11:23:00 AM >

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 540
Page:   <<   < prev  16 17 [18] 19 20   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Evacuation of Rangoon Page: <<   < prev  16 17 [18] 19 20   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI