Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Where do you live?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> RE: Where do you live? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
[Poll]

Where do you live?

Northeastern U.S. (Maine/Vermont/New Hampshire/Mass./NewYork/Conn./RI)
  6% (8)
Mid-Atlantic (New Jersey/Pennsylvania/Delaware/Maryland/WashingtonDC)
  4% (5)
Midwest (Ohio/Mich./Indiana/Illinois/Wisconsin/Minnesota/Iowa/Kansas)
  15% (18)
Western states not on FOF map, or Oklahoma (= Indian Territory)
  16% (19)
Virginia
  1% (2)
Southeastern states (North Carolina/South Carolina/Georgia/Florida)
  7% (9)
Deep South (Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas)
  4% (5)
Tennessee/Kentucky
  2% (3)
Missouri/Arkansas
  5% (6)
Outside of United States
  36% (43)

Total Votes : 118

(last vote on : 5/18/2009 1:12:55 PM)
(Poll will run till: -- )
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Where do you live? - 6/2/2007 1:47:26 AM   
Drex

Zap: I remember crossing the grapevine in a snowstorm so bad I had to hang behind a semi just to stay in the lane. Went to school in Long Beach so i know SoCal.

quote:

Col Saito: "Don't speak to me of rules! This is war! It is not a game of cricket!"

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 61
RE: Where do you live? - 6/2/2007 6:19:14 AM   
Reiryc

Although from Illinois, my sympathies are with the south... 

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 62
RE: Where do you live? - 6/2/2007 11:26:10 AM   
Zap

Although no activity here in California, their is a Fort Tejon 6 miles from my home it guarded the Tejon pass. It was stationed by a small garrison during the Civil War. So, California does have some Civil War History.

I'm sympathetic to the Confederates. Not for their desire to keep slavery but their states right claims does win some sympathy from me. I really was won over by their courage (low supplies/poor equipment), tenacity.

< Message edited by Zap -- 6/2/2007 11:28:16 AM >

(in reply to Reiryc)
Post #: 63
RE: Where do you live? - 6/2/2007 5:21:33 PM   
Yogi the Great

quote:

ORIGINAL: Reiryc

Although from Illinois, my sympathies are with the south... 

If your from Illinois, our sympathies are with you!

Hooked Since AH Gettysburg

(in reply to Reiryc)
Post #: 64
RE: Where do you live? - 6/3/2007 3:12:43 AM   
sirduke_slith

My support goes to America, or as i like to call it during the war was the un-united states of America I belive that the north and south had many similarities (besides slavery and states rights of course) and to choose a side to sympathise seems odd to me, but if i had to choose i think the union would be my choice.  Long live the Union!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(in reply to Yogi the Great)
Post #: 65
RE: Where do you live? - 5/29/2008 11:13:39 PM   
Fallshcirmjaeger

Dragging this thread from the back of the pack because its always nice to know where folks are from.

I live in Independence, Missouri, home of Harry S. Truman. There is a small bit of Civil War history round these parts - a few small battles took place around here. Westport, Lexington, etc. You have to look pretty hard to find it though. Mostly its all about the Border War between the Kansas Abolitionists and the pro-slavery forces of Missouri prior to the outbreak (or spark) of the War Between the States. 

Of course, down south near Springfield there is Wilson's Creek, and then Pea Ridge in Arkansas.

Anyway, looking through this thread I see several folks from Missouri, so just wanted to say hello.  

(in reply to sirduke_slith)
Post #: 66
RE: Where do you live? - 5/29/2008 11:40:55 PM   
Gil R.

My goodness. Now this is a blast from the past. I'm impressed that anyone digs so far back into the forum.

Yes, Missouri has provided a disproportionately high number of FOF customers (including AARist Charlie Lewis), it would seem, not to mention active contributors to the game, such as all-star bios-writer Battleline and valuable beta-tester Gray_Lensman. Plus I'm currently in St. Louis, though only for another month or two.

Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.

(in reply to Fallshcirmjaeger)
Post #: 67
RE: Where do you live? - 5/30/2008 7:06:48 PM   
Kingmaker

HiHi

An outsider here  , born in the Gods own County of Warwickshire, 'Kingmaker county' England (that makes me English, not British!)

Think my interest in the ACW as a child was sparked by a book by Winston Churchill (can't remember the title), then somewhere I read an account on Jacksons Valley campaign and that was it, I was off, read everything I could find, and remain to this day a Die-hard Reb.

I think that most English folk, if they take sides at all, probably plump for the South; in some part they probably feel a) the Romance of the 'Rebel' stand, underdog and all that, b) the fact that ordinary folk voted to leave the Union and should have their votes respected and c) if they know enough about their own history they empathise with having a Republican military dictatorship forced upon them.

Gil, re your feelings about the current unpopularty of America affecting 'Outside' sales, possibly it is a more mature age group that buys games like FoF and therefor unaffected by (and I say this tounge in cheek), the recent, Bush world-wide Public relations effort to win Hearts & minds.

All the Best
Peter

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 68
RE: Where do you live? - 5/30/2008 11:06:13 PM   
GShock

<--- Southern Italian, Naples, now living in Northern California.

Rebel in Italy, therefore sympathizer of the CSA cause...still, as Grant says, there was never a wrongest cause to fight for than slavery. 

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 69
RE: Where do you live? - 6/2/2008 6:05:59 PM   
goodwoodrw

Hey Gil, I'm a Southerner, I'm a Victorian and proud of it as well

Formerly Goodwood

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 70
RE: Where do you live? - 6/2/2008 11:07:30 PM   
Ingtar

I chose Tennessee.  I have also lived in Florida, Louisiana, South Carolina, California, New York, and Ohio.  My soul is Southern.  States' Rights!

< Message edited by Ingtar -- 6/2/2008 11:08:24 PM >

(in reply to goodwoodrw)
Post #: 71
RE: Where do you live? - 6/12/2008 9:01:42 AM   
Hornblower

What I want to know why is the Commonwealth of Virginia get a special mention?  I’m from the Land of the fighting 69th, and the Excelsior Brigade

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 72
RE: Where do you live? - 6/12/2008 10:01:20 AM   
Gil R.

I wrongly assumed that there would be a significant percentage of FOF players from Virginia. Interesting that I was wrong.

I'm also a New Yorker carried off to the Midwest, so I assure you there was no prejudice.

(in reply to Hornblower)
Post #: 73
RE: Where do you live? - 6/12/2008 2:56:30 PM   
hgilmer

Born in Massachusetts and living in Alabama.  I think the reason foreign (in my humble opinion) players like this game is that war gamers like an interesting conflict.  I am highly interested in several European struggles such as The HYW, the 7 years war, the Napoleon era, etc.  Most wars seem to be a completely one sided deal so the port to a simulation game makes it not all that interesting.  The fact that this lasted 5 years shows that even though it was somewhat one-sided, it really was an epic struggle.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 74
RE: Where do you live? - 6/12/2008 3:38:08 PM   
morganbj

Looks like I'm the only one from Texas.  I claim to be a native Texan; the part of Colorado I was born in was part of the Republic of Texas until the great larceny of 1845 when the US purchased it from Texas at the annexation to retire the RT national debt.  I now live, of course, in that part that remains.  I'm in the mosquito infested, snake crawlin', hurricane dodgin', oil patch known as the gulf coast...and I love it.

(in reply to hgilmer)
Post #: 75
RE: Where do you live? - 6/12/2008 5:17:43 PM   
Joe D.

Could it be that there are some geopolitical issues not expressed in the survey, i.e., Maryland is physically a Mid-Atlantic state, but wasn't its sympathies (always) Southern?

I seem to recall reading that Union Armies marching thru Maryland were often pelted w/garbage.

Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.

"The Angel of Okinawa"

Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 76
RE: Where do you live? - 6/14/2008 9:30:08 PM   
Grfin Zeppelin

Iam from Germany and still stunned from the amazingness of FoF.

Iam playing strategy games since empire on the c-64 20 years ago and FoF is in the top 10 for me of all strategy games i played.
Good work, please keep it up i have still some money to burn

(in reply to Joe D.)
Post #: 77
RE: Where do you live? - 6/20/2008 6:24:54 PM   
terje439

Norwegian, why I have an interest for the ACW I have no idea. Might be an interest for war in general (atleast up to -45 (last "honest" war)), but also the fact that there are so many persons to read about. If you look at WWII you have a handful or two of names, but with ACW you have heaps (of course half of those are commanders of the Army of the Potomac. That job seems to have been just about as secure as manager for the England football (soccer) team ). And the movie "Gods and Generals" really got my attention to this struggle.
When it comes to sympathies, it has to be the South, not due to political standings, but due to the Underdog-tag.

(in reply to Grfin Zeppelin)
Post #: 78
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> RE: Where do you live? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI