Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Splash Screens

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: Splash Screens Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Splash Screens - 5/31/2008 10:14:55 AM   
Froonp

Lots of good WW2 photographs here.
http://www.archives.gov/research/ww2/photos/

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 91
RE: Splash Screens - 5/31/2008 10:34:32 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Froonp

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1
Patrice - the number 6 came from Steve I think.

Yes, there were 6 at start, but now that we see how Rob's concept is good with other famous WW2 pictures, I wonder why stop at 6, and why not use more for the background of others forms.

Especially when you see how the forms shown in posts 73 & 74 looked before and how they look a million times better now with the "World in Flames" names on the top and the picture.

I'll think about this, but I really do not need to flesh out my task list with additional work.

That's a very, very qualified maybe, perhaps, possibly, don't hold your breath.

The only task remaining on my list concerning splash screens is to show a sequence of them while the data is loading.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 92
RE: Splash Screens - 5/31/2008 8:51:54 PM   
ironman150

I really like the start up screen with the splash in the background. A great mock up. easy to read and pick out what you want to do as opposed to most games 3 of 4 deep navigation just to restart a save game. Of course translucent menus with borders would look much better, I really like the layout.

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 93
RE: Splash Screens - 5/31/2008 9:30:15 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: ironman150

I really like the start up screen with the splash in the background. A great mock up. easy to read and pick out what you want to do as opposed to most games 3 of 4 deep navigation just to restart a save game. Of course translucent menus with borders would look much better, I really like the layout.

I worry a lot about contrast between the text and the background. I have found that when the background is variable (mottled, or swirling, as the flames are here), the text can be difficult to read at times. Individual circumstances also need to be considered. Some people have trouble with differentiating colors, some with reading small font, and the ambient light of the room can make a big difference too. For instance, the splash screens look much better at night than they do when the sun is shining brightly into the room.

Steve

(in reply to ironman150)
Post #: 94
RE: Splash Screens - 5/31/2008 9:42:23 PM   
Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets
quote:

I worry a lot about contrast between the text and the background. I have found that when the background is variable (mottled, or swirling, as the flames are here), the text can be difficult to read at times. Individual circumstances also need to be considered. Some people have trouble with differentiating colors, some with reading small font, and the ambient light of the room can make a big difference too. For instance, the splash screens look much better at night than they do when the sun is shining brightly into the room.

Why not have a game option that would leave the forms in easy to read appearance for those with the difficulties you talk about, and a allow the others to enjoy the magnificent form ?

Post #: 95
RE: Splash Screens - 6/1/2008 12:58:04 AM   
SLAAKMAN

My Devoted Disciple of Slaakery, Lord Froonp in a Betwixt Manner mused;
quote:

Why are you so focused on UFOs ?

Why, you ponder? Why?? Isnt it obvious? Take this you fool and observe the glory again;

quote:

These (flying wings) are not really representative of WW2.

I beg to differ. They reflect the infinite mystery & visionary beauty of the creative process like no other icon from WWII.

quote:

More, they led to virtualy nothing while others German UFOs led to a whole generation of Russians & US Jets after the war.

I wouldnt call the B2 "virtually nothing";

In December, 1944, the German were still working on this strange aicraft, aiming at manufacturing a fighter-bomber equipped with Jumo jet engines. The end of the war in Europe prevented the Nazi from using the airplane against Allied targets.
Had it been used to attack the United Kingdom (which at the time was getting early warnings of invading aircraft thanks to the recently invented radar), the Go 229 jet aircraft would have been totally invisible to the radar waves. The German engineers knew it and so they can be considered as the inventors of the stealth aircraft concept, which would later on be developped by the Americans.

quote:

So why so much enthousiasm for these (the bottom one is really beautifull by the way) ?

(Youve answered your own question....hehe)
Picture this, aircraft designs went from this;

to this;

in less than a generation. The epic, majestic mystery staggers the imagination.

Germany's unforgivable crime before the Second World War was her attempt to extricate her economy from the world's trading system and to create her own exchange mechanism which would deny world finance its opportunity to profit.
— Winston Churchill

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 96
RE: Splash Screens - 6/1/2008 1:46:57 AM   
Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: SLAAKMAN
I wouldnt call the B2 "virtually nothing";

And I would not oversimplify that matter as to the point as saying that the German flying wing researches are the source for building the B-2. Northrop was interested in flying wings a long time before the German designs were captured and used by the US.

Moreover, I believe that the German designs completely lacked the stealth features that the B-2 have. The angular shapes, the radiation and sound absorbent special materials & coatings, etc...

I would just agree that they are beautifull, they stimulate the imagination, but to stay serious with MWiF and to find pictures that characterise WW2, I would show no flying wings. Me262 are fine though .

But I know you're not serious .

(in reply to SLAAKMAN)
Post #: 97
RE: Splash Screens - 6/1/2008 4:19:46 AM   
SLAAKMAN

quote:

I would just agree that they are beautifull, they stimulate the imagination, but to stay serious with MWiF and to find pictures that characterise WW2, I would show no flying wings. Me262 are fine though .

This "flying wing" characterizes WWII as much as any image from that Epic & Holy chronology;

along with the lovely Vergeltungwaffen;

quote:

But I know you're not serious.

Since when isnt a clown serious??

Germany's unforgivable crime before the Second World War was her attempt to extricate her economy from the world's trading system and to create her own exchange mechanism which would deny world finance its opportunity to profit.
— Winston Churchill

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 98
RE: Splash Screens - 6/2/2008 2:06:20 AM   
ironman150

quote:

quote:

Right Which is why I would never say 100% transparent. I was thinking more along the lines of 70-80% and then deepen the colors so a red-black for options a blue black type of mission and so on. Then like a blued steel border around each menu. kinda like this I don't know how easy it is to use the tools to do something like that. But it would look a ton better then just flat colors with no borders. Again, I'm gonna buy it anyway. So that just my 2 cents.

Post #: 99
RE: Splash Screens - 6/2/2008 2:42:49 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

quote:

quote:

Right Which is why I would never say 100% transparent. I was thinking more along the lines of 70-80% and then deepen the colors so a red-black for options a blue black type of mission and so on. Then like a blued steel border around each menu. kinda like this I don't know how easy it is to use the tools to do something like that. But it would look a ton better then just flat colors with no borders. Again, I'm gonna buy it anyway. So that just my 2 cents.

Sorry, but I do not understand what you wanted me to notice in your reference. I was expecting to see text against a varied background.

Steve

(in reply to ironman150)
Post #: 100
RE: Splash Screens - 6/3/2008 8:39:19 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

Here is an example of what the splash screens look like while the game data is loading. This happens very quickly on my machine, so i am now thinking of just randomly selecting one of 10 splash screens when the game data loads. I'll try to position the status bars differently for ech of the images, placing them in areas of less interest, as I did here.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 101
RE: Splash Screens - 6/3/2008 8:58:26 AM   
Froonp

quote:

Here is an example of what the splash screens look like while the game data is loading. This happens very quickly on my machine, so i am now thinking of just randomly selecting one of 10 splash screens when the game data loads. I'll try to position the status bars differently for ech of the images, placing them in areas of less interest, as I did here.

This is very beautifull !!!!

Post #: 102
RE: Splash Screens - 6/3/2008 10:03:33 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

quote:

Thanks.

As an added bonus, I believe I have fixed the problem where this screen would freeze if you went to another application while it was loading.

Steve

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 103
RE: Splash Screens - 6/3/2008 10:23:06 AM   
Froonp

quote:

quote:

quote:

Thanks.

As an added bonus, I believe I have fixed the problem where this screen would freeze if you went to another application while it was loading.

This is what I call good news ! Can't wait for next version to load !

Post #: 104
RE: Splash Screens - 6/3/2008 6:41:29 PM   
Anendrue

Screenies are awesome!

Integrity is what you do when nobody is watching.

(in reply to robarmstrong)
Post #: 105
RE: Splash Screens - 6/4/2008 4:54:35 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

4 more screen shot from loading the game data.

Attachment (1)

Steve

(in reply to Anendrue)
Post #: 106
RE: Splash Screens - 6/4/2008 4:55:38 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

Infantry.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 107
RE: Splash Screens - 6/4/2008 4:56:50 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

Planes.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 108
RE: Splash Screens - 6/4/2008 4:58:05 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

4th and last in series. Ships.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 109
RE: Splash Screens - 6/4/2008 6:14:57 AM   
Norman42

Fantastic.

-------------

C.L.Norman

Post #: 110
RE: Splash Screens - 6/5/2008 3:37:40 PM   
ironman150

OooOO. Very Nice!

(in reply to Norman42)
Post #: 111
RE: Splash Screens - 6/5/2008 6:02:11 PM   
WarHunter

Very nice Splash screens.

Alot better than an hourglass or flying toaster.

“We never felt like we were losing until we were actually dead.”
Marcus Luttrell

(in reply to ironman150)
Post #: 112
RE: Splash Screens - 6/6/2008 5:08:29 PM   
Morval_slith

I'm liking the screens very much, but I do agree with one of the earlier posters who said that the Infantry screen looks a little cluttered.

(in reply to WarHunter)
Post #: 113
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: Splash Screens Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI