Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Is it fair to ask what you think is the best Matrix game?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Is it fair to ask what you think is the best Matrix game? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Is it fair to ask what you think is the best Matrix game? - 5/30/2008 4:33:55 PM   
Moster

Don't know if this has been done before but I thought I would ask. I used to play war games on a c64 and I just recently went in to semi-retirement and have a little more time and thought I would get in to war games again. Just bought a couple Matrix games and am looking to get couple more and wondered what everybody thought was the best Matrix game. Any Matrix game. Thanks.
Post #: 1
RE: Is it fair to ask what you think is the best Matrix... - 5/30/2008 4:35:43 PM   
Terminus

War in the Pacific, no contest. The ultimate grognard's war game.

Followed by Steel Panthers: World at War and The Operational Art of War III.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Moster)
Post #: 2
RE: Is it fair to ask what you think is the best Matrix... - 5/30/2008 4:40:35 PM   
JudgeDredd

COTA for me...Forge of Freedom a close second (I think)...I have so many favourite games!

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 3
RE: Is it fair to ask what you think is the best Matrix... - 5/30/2008 4:57:54 PM   
HansBolter

1. Battles from the Bulge/Conquest of the Aegean

2. War in the Pacific/Uncommon Valor

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 4
RE: Is it fair to ask what you think is the best Matrix... - 5/30/2008 5:07:46 PM   
Hertston

CotA. Might well be BftB when released.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 5
RE: Is it fair to ask what you think is the best Matrix... - 5/30/2008 5:49:13 PM   
EUBanana

GoA.

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 6
RE: Is it fair to ask what you think is the best Matrix... - 5/30/2008 6:04:47 PM   
Joram

Err, obviously you're going to ask 10 people and get 12 different answers so you might want to be a bit more specific on what kind of game interests you.

Easy to get into but good games include Commander: Europe at War, Tin Soldiers series, Spartan series, the Hussar Games (Napoleon in Italy), Close Combat series
Games of moderate complexity that are good are Birth of America, American Civil War, Forge of Freedom, Crown of Glory
Complex Games include TOAW III, Highway to The Reich/Conquest of the Aegean (Panther games), Uncommon valor
Intensely Complex games include Empire in Arms, War in the Pacific...

(in reply to EUBanana)
Post #: 7
RE: Is it fair to ask what you think is the best Matrix... - 5/30/2008 6:29:43 PM   
JudgeDredd

He does say "Any Matrix game"

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 8
RE: Is it fair to ask what you think is the best Matrix... - 5/30/2008 6:36:32 PM   
sterckxe

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

And the majority (me included) picks Conquest of the Aegean - case closed - you can all go home now

@Original poster : here are the links you can check out

The game info : http://www.matrixgames.com/games/game.asp?gid=313
The forum : http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=123
The official game-site : http://cota.matrixgames.com/
The Drop Zone : http://www.wargamer.com/hosted/dropzone/index.html

A 5-minute video intro can be gotten here :

http://cota.matrixgames.com/downloads/cota%20-%205%20minute%20guide%20v2.0.zip

And MarkShot's excellent (PDF) mini-guide here :

ftp://ftp.matrixgames.com/pub/conquestoftheaegean/COTA%20Mini-Guide%20Dec-22-2005.zip

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

< Message edited by sterckxe -- 5/30/2008 8:34:57 PM >

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 9
RE: Is it fair to ask what you think is the best Matrix... - 5/30/2008 10:09:23 PM   
Jeffrey H.

I suggest you get the Steel Panthers WaW free download and have fun with that.

If you have the itch to buy something, I would add Advanced Tactics to the list already compiled. 

(in reply to sterckxe)
Post #: 10
RE: Is it fair to ask what you think is the best Matrix... - 5/30/2008 10:35:40 PM   
06 Maestro

quote:

ORIGINAL: sterckxe

quote:

And the majority (me included) picks Conquest of the Aegean - case closed -

Not yet. CotA is my #1 choice also. If you want a realistic operational game, the choice is clear-Conquest of the Aegean.

WitP is also an amazing game, but it justs takes too long to finish-and the land warfare simply can't compare to CotA. I don't know how non retired individuals can find the time to play such a game.

If you state what type of gaming you are interested in, I'm sure you will be promptly pointed in the correct direction.

(in reply to sterckxe)
Post #: 11
RE: Is it fair to ask what you think is the best Matrix... - 5/30/2008 10:41:40 PM   
sterckxe

quote:

ORIGINAL: 06 Maestro
If you state what type of gaming you are interested in, I'm sure you will be promptly pointed in the correct direction.

In fact this is the only correct answer to the question asked - it really depends on what type of game you like

[But COTA is *still* the best game ! ]

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 12
RE: Is it fair to ask what you think is the best Matrix... - 5/30/2008 10:42:04 PM   
Northern Star

I suggest you War in Russia free download. I think it's a great game.

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 13
RE: Is it fair to ask what you think is the best Matrix... - 5/31/2008 12:53:05 AM   
EUBanana

quote:

And the majority (me included) picks Conquest of the Aegean - case closed - you can all go home now

God only knows why. Awful!

(in reply to sterckxe)
Post #: 14
RE: Is it fair to ask what you think is the best Matrix... - 5/31/2008 1:25:38 AM   
Deathtreader

Land = Conquest Of The Aegean

Naval = Warplan Orange

Rob.

So we're at war with the Russkies eh?? I suppose we really ought to invade or something. (Lonnnng pause while studying the map)
Hmmmm... big place ain't it??
- Sir Harry Flashman (1854)

(in reply to Moster)
Post #: 15
RE: Is it fair to ask what you think is the best Matrix... - 5/31/2008 1:56:39 AM   
JudgeDredd

quote:

ORIGINAL: EUBanana

quote:

God only knows why. Awful!

Heretic!!!

(in reply to EUBanana)
Post #: 16
RE: Is it fair to ask what you think is the best Matrix... - 5/31/2008 1:57:05 AM   
Titanwarrior89

Right on!
quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

War in the Pacific, no contest. The ultimate grognard's war game.

Followed by Steel Panthers: World at War and The Operational Art of War III.

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 17
RE: Is it fair to ask what you think is the best Matrix... - 5/31/2008 3:20:57 AM   
KG Erwin

I gotta speak out for SPWAW. This is the game that launched Matrix, and the fans of it have taken it to another level. It is still relevant for gamers who want a variety of tactical situations and a wide choice of nations.

(in reply to Moster)
Post #: 18
RE: Is it fair to ask what you think is the best Matrix... - 5/31/2008 4:14:17 AM   
Zakhal

War in the pacific. I waited ten years for that game. Matrix games came from nowhere and helped to make that game.

< Message edited by Zakhal -- 5/31/2008 4:15:52 AM >

"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 19
RE: Is it fair to ask what you think is the best Matrix... - 5/31/2008 4:32:21 AM   
Gem35

War in the Pacific - the Struggle against Japan.

It doesn't make any sense, Admiral. Were we better than the Japanese or just luckier?

Banner By Feurer Krieg

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 20
RE: Is it fair to ask what you think is the best Matrix... - 5/31/2008 6:19:10 AM   
Cap Mandrake

War in the Pacific.

The battle for the Dutch east Indies and Malaysia/Singapore and the PI in 1941 and ealry 1942 is sublime.

The number of Strategic options is almost limitless.

(in reply to Gem35)
Post #: 21
RE: Is it fair to ask what you think is the best Matrix... - 5/31/2008 2:04:24 PM   
Grell

Conquest of the Aegean and Panzer Command Kharkov.

Regards,

Greg

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 22
RE: Is it fair to ask what you think is the best Matrix... - 5/31/2008 4:48:22 PM   
EUBanana

quote:

Heretic!!!

I tried to like it, I really did. Odd really, given I like WitP and Hearts of Iron 2 in equal measure, I think that implies I got a pretty broad spectrum of like for wargames...

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 23
RE: Is it fair to ask what you think is the best Matrix... - 5/31/2008 4:51:29 PM   
EUBanana

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

War in the Pacific.

The battle for the Dutch east Indies and Malaysia/Singapore and the PI in 1941 and ealry 1942 is sublime.

The number of Strategic options is almost limitless.

Yeah, 1941-42 in WITP is an amazing gaming experience.

Sure it'll take you a good six months RL probably to work your way through it, but it'll be one hell of a ride.

And the time it takes gives it a certain poetry. I remember in my old game with Simon Prior years back, there is something magical about how you decide on an overall strategy at the grand scale, and then, slowly, over months of game time, your forces slowly come into the configuration you planned... while his are doing likewise of course.

I could see a long telegraphed attack on India brewing and it was glorious to see it slowly building up, and my defences slowly getting into position at the same time.

Even more glorious on that one turn when Warspite sunk a Jap CVL and did heavy damage to another one with a 15" shell in a monsoon off Sri Lanka.

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 24
RE: Is it fair to ask what you think is the best Matrix... - 6/1/2008 1:43:51 AM   
thegreatwent

WitP hands down has been the most immersive Matrix game for me. I think that I've spent just pennies a day to play it at this point.

(in reply to EUBanana)
Post #: 25
RE: Is it fair to ask what you think is the best Matrix... - 6/1/2008 9:21:07 AM   
panzers

Hmmm, let's get back on this one a year from now when WiF will have most likely have been out for a few months by then.

(in reply to thegreatwent)
Post #: 26
RE: Is it fair to ask what you think is the best Matrix... - 6/1/2008 11:45:14 AM   
ilovestrategy

Gary Grigby's World at War for me! 

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to panzers)
Post #: 27
RE: Is it fair to ask what you think is the best Matrix... - 6/2/2008 6:06:13 AM   
General Quarters

My favorite is Forge of Freedom, which I played non-stop (at least it seemed non-stop to my wife) for about 8 months, which is a record for me with one game.  I also enjoyed HOI I & II a lot with good mods, but the AI was not strong enough to hold interest for a whole war.

(in reply to ilovestrategy)
Post #: 28
RE: Is it fair to ask what you think is the best Matrix... - 6/2/2008 9:43:51 AM   
sterckxe

quote:

quote:

God only knows why.

Tried to phone him about it, but he's unlisted

quote:

Awful!

In what sense ? Seriously.

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

(in reply to EUBanana)
Post #: 29
RE: Is it fair to ask what you think is the best Matrix... - 6/2/2008 3:17:31 PM   
EUBanana

quote:

quote:

Awful!

In what sense ? Seriously.

I just didn't feel that what you did made any difference at all. Stuff like encirclement, holding hills or bridges, all seemed totally irrelevant. It was like an RTS, like Warcraft 3, except one shorn of all strategy.

(in reply to sterckxe)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Is it fair to ask what you think is the best Matrix game? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI