Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

American Overkill

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Age of Muskets] >> For Liberty! & 1848 >> American Overkill Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
American Overkill - 6/5/2008 5:04:27 AM   
The Bubba

Hey guys.....

Here's my situation. Right now, Im playing as the British. Ive got maybe 20k in troops scattered throughout the map. Its early in the game. July 1776. How in the heck can they muster 5 or so armies of around 10 - 15 thousand men a piece? And each of them have around a hundred cannon? Thats insane......
Post #: 1
RE: American Overkill - 6/5/2008 9:14:33 AM   
Mark Breed

The AI cheats!

(in reply to The Bubba)
Post #: 2
RE: American Overkill - 6/7/2008 4:13:04 AM   
Big B

You are correct - the starting reserves of recruitment are way too high for both sides.
Playing against the AI as the Americans I was horrified to see 7,400 Torries recruited in a besieged Boston in the first two weeks! the one place in 1775 where that wasn't going to happen!

So I started reading the Editor manual and found the root of the problem.

Essentially, Both Sides starting OOB and reinforcements are accurate - the problem lies in the resources available at start to build.

What I am experimenting with (and it is looking quite promising) is using the Editor to leave British reinforcements intact, but eliminating the starting pool of "inluence" (which is all that is needed to recruit Torries, Militia, and Indians) down to 5 points. Then basically eliminating the guns, rifles, horses, and recruits in the pool - so no "new" Regular units can't be raised on "day 1" in America, and letting historical reinforcement schedules do their job.
So much for the British. For the Americans (especially if the AI is playing them) - I would recommend trying the same thing.

What you MUST do after that - is play the enemy (the AI's side) for a few months to see if you unrealistically hobbled the Americans - that is what I have been doing with the British...to see if 1775 looks like it did historically, and then make adjustments if necessary.

All those starting resources that you eliminate are constantly added back up as the game goes on week by week - so don't be afraid to experiment a little and see what the AI can and won't be able to do.

Essentially, the British should be stuck in Boston for the Year - unable to afford to bring on a general engagement outside their entrenchments (as Bunker Hill proved) and eventually sail to Halifax and await the BIG reinforcement that took NY City in 1776, and then let the fun begin.

Conversely, the Americans should be able to bottle up the British in Boston for the year - but not simultaneously conquering all of the Indian country and Canada.

So that's the balance you should be going for if you want to play it realistically. Get to know your Editor!

Hope that helps,
Brian

EDIT: Also read this thread: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1337481 it talks about AI Bonus's that can be reduced.
quote:

ORIGINAL: The Bubba

Hey guys.....

Here's my situation. Right now, Im playing as the British. Ive got maybe 20k in troops scattered throughout the map. Its early in the game. July 1776. How in the heck can they muster 5 or so armies of around 10 - 15 thousand men a piece? And each of them have around a hundred cannon? Thats insane......

< Message edited by Big B -- 6/7/2008 4:20:39 AM >

(in reply to The Bubba)
Post #: 3
RE: American Overkill - 6/9/2008 6:28:13 PM   
James Ward

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Bubba

Hey guys.....

Defend Boston! You will find 30-40K militia armies early on. Build a few militia units to give you more 'shots' and sit tight when near them. Defend in the Forts and try to keep your regulars up to strength. Use your superior fire ability to wear down any attacks. When you get enough reinforcements you can begin operations.
You may also want to consider sending/building some troops down South to begin operations there. The AI usually doesn't save his points so if there are massive militia armies up North they will be much smaller down South. The AI will usually only be able to muster 1 or 2 decent size militia stacks down there. Build and train 2-3 regular regiments and an artillery or two. These along with a few militia will get you Savannah to use as a base of operations. If you are really lucky Savannah will 'revolt' to your side!

(in reply to The Bubba)
Post #: 4
RE: American Overkill - 6/13/2008 6:09:58 PM   
FM WarB

It is not just that the numbers are too much. I found it disconcerting to find thousands of North and South Carolina militia descending on Massachusetts from Falmouth, Maine. The supply simulation is soo abstract that huge numbers (30-40,000) can support themselves with no apparent supply difficulties from one source of supply.

(in reply to James Ward)
Post #: 5
RE: American Overkill - 6/17/2008 4:17:40 PM   
Big B

quote:

ORIGINAL: FM WarB

It is not just that the numbers are too much. I found it disconcerting to find thousands of North and South Carolina militia descending on Massachusetts from Falmouth, Maine. The supply simulation is soo abstract that huge numbers (30-40,000) can support themselves with no apparent supply difficulties from one source of supply.

That is essentially correct as far as I can see.

That is why I recommended limiting how much militia can be raised in the editor. A game fix to historical accuracy would be better - but that would take a patch. At least you can limit these values yourself with the editor, while leaving the historical OOB and reinforcements intact.

B

(in reply to FM WarB)
Post #: 6
RE: American Overkill - 6/24/2008 2:25:13 AM   
FM WarB

Why should I bother with the clunky editor, when apparently no updates, or response to issues raised is forthcoming from Hussar Games?
AGEod does a better job.

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 7
RE: American Overkill - 6/26/2008 10:21:37 PM   
Big B

Why should you bother with the editor? - So you can enjoy the game you have...
quote:

ORIGINAL: FM WarB

Why should I bother with the clunky editor, when apparently no updates, or response to issues raised is forthcoming from Hussar Games?
AGEod does a better job.

(in reply to FM WarB)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Age of Muskets] >> For Liberty! & 1848 >> American Overkill Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI