Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Check the Front Page!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Check the Front Page! Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Check the Front Page! - 5/9/2008 10:33:01 PM   
Terminus

Wasn't even aware that "berum" was a word in German... Never used it myself, and I live next door to them...

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to anarchyintheuk)
Post #: 121
RE: Check the Front Page! - 5/9/2008 10:48:11 PM   
anarchyintheuk

I wouldn't be too sure, me knowing what I'm talking about is a big assumption. Let me go look it up.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 122
RE: Check the Front Page! - 5/9/2008 10:52:08 PM   
Woos

quote:

Wasn't even aware that "berum" was a word in German...

It isn't. Then of course there is Polish, where I think they speak the B like the Germans speak the W. So add some minor vowel shifting and it becomes clear that
a) m10bob has polish ancestors and
b) he really meant "Warum"

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 123
RE: Check the Front Page! - 5/9/2008 11:26:36 PM   
DaveB

Look. let's stop arguing spelling and stick to the weighty, important matter of making sure I get what I want. (Hmm, that might come over a teensy bit self centred) ... err, pretty please? Look, I have Carriers at War here, and I've not played it since running the demo bit on download day (there will not be a contest to guess why).... now, let's have a modicum of consideration here at the very least - what sort of a message does it give the average browsing possible customer type to hear that Matrix couldn't be bothered to launch AE on my selected choice of day, probably forcing me to play CAW as a stop gap, after I went to the trouble of travelling all that way and buying a PC just to play it?

Dave
(...and let us not forget that ox cart).

(in reply to Woos)
Post #: 124
RE: Check the Front Page! - 5/9/2008 11:47:09 PM   
Terminus

Was there a blizzard that you had to go through as well?

(in reply to DaveB)
Post #: 125
RE: Check the Front Page! - 5/9/2008 11:59:35 PM   
anarchyintheuk

I fully support DaveB's emotional blackmail.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 126
RE: Check the Front Page! - 5/10/2008 1:15:33 AM   
thegreatwent

Maybe it was "Beruf nicht?" as in job not or perhaps professionally negative

Post #: 127
RE: Check the Front Page! - 5/10/2008 1:32:53 AM   
wworld7

quote:

ORIGINAL: DaveB

Of course it will be uphill both ways...

Flipper

(in reply to DaveB)
Post #: 128
RE: Check the Front Page! - 5/10/2008 3:02:23 AM   
DaveB

Up here everywhere is South, barring a small section of the North pole possibly. Okay, so there are a few bits of the world further north, like Norway and Iceland, but they can do their own begging.

The land is officially described as 'lumpy' in 'The Rough Guide to all the places I'm glad somebody else lives and not me'.... so although it's not all uphill it certainly is so a lot of the time. We locals quite like the place, but the continual struggle to persuade the oxen to climb the next section can get tiring, and the young folk find it quite hard to 'cruise' in their blinged up carts - those rotating chromed hubs are okay on the flat, but they tend to fall off if you catch a rut wrong.

Frankly I can't see how this could fail to move even the hardest of hearts, I'm almost in tears as I type, and I already know the story....

Dave

(in reply to wworld7)
Post #: 129
RE: Check the Front Page! - 5/10/2008 9:59:03 AM   
bradfordkay

" So, I will stop to buy Beer, milk, coffee, beer, cereals, beer, orange juice, bread, beer and beer at Walmart on 7 July."

Your 31 years there have certainly acclimated you to the Scottish way of living.

fair winds,
Brad

Post #: 130
RE: Check the Front Page! - 5/10/2008 2:34:29 PM   
Mike Scholl

quote:

Up here everywhere is South, barring a small section of the North pole possibly. Okay, so there are a few bits of the world further north, like Norway and Iceland, but they can do their own begging.

The land is officially described as 'lumpy' in 'The Rough Guide to all the places I'm glad somebody else lives and not me'.... so although it's not all uphill it certainly is so a lot of the time. We locals quite like the place, but the continual struggle to persuade the oxen to climb the next section can get tiring, and the young folk find it quite hard to 'cruise' in their blinged up carts - those rotating chromed hubs are okay on the flat, but they tend to fall off if you catch a rut wrong.

I do have to admit that I saw (and felt) more "weather" in a one day journey through the Scottish Highlands than in almost any other week of my life. Clear and sunny, overcast, sleet, rain, snow, fog, and a force 7 gale between 8 AM and 8 PM. All that was missing was a tornado.

(in reply to DaveB)
Post #: 131
RE: Check the Front Page! - 5/10/2008 4:27:07 PM   
DaveB

quote:

" So, I will stop to buy Beer, milk, coffee, beer, cereals, beer, orange juice, bread, beer and beer at Walmart on 7 July."

Your 31 years there have certainly acclimated you to the Scottish way of living.

I see your point - there is a bit of a tendency to high cholestorol up here...maybe if I cut out the milk?

Dave

(in reply to Mike Scholl)
Post #: 132
RE: Check the Front Page! - 5/10/2008 5:13:57 PM   
Shark7

quote:

Look. let's stop arguing spelling and stick to the weighty, important matter of making sure I get what I want. (Hmm, that might come over a teensy bit self centred) ... err, pretty please? Look, I have Carriers at War here, and I've not played it since running the demo bit on download day (there will not be a contest to guess why).... now, let's have a modicum of consideration here at the very least - what sort of a message does it give the average browsing possible customer type to hear that Matrix couldn't be bothered to launch AE on my selected choice of day, probably forcing me to play CAW as a stop gap, after I went to the trouble of travelling all that way and buying a PC just to play it?

Dave

Wait a second there. You are flying 8 hours then having to drive through Orlando traffic and complaining about an Ox Cart ride?! Um, maybe its just me, but I think I'd pick the Ox Cart over Orlando traffic.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to DaveB)
Post #: 133
RE: Check the Front Page! - 5/10/2008 5:49:16 PM   
Monter_Trismegistos

quote:

ORIGINAL: Woos
It isn't. Then of course there is Polish, where I think they speak the B like the Germans speak the W. So add some minor vowel shifting and it becomes clear that
a) m10bob has polish ancestors and
b) he really meant "Warum"

Eeeee... what? Maybe in Suwahili :)

We actually speak both B and W like Germans.

Nec Temere Nec Timide
Bez strachu ale z rozwagą

(in reply to Woos)
Post #: 134
RE: Check the Front Page! - 5/10/2008 6:39:47 PM   
DaveB

Hey Shark -
sometimes we have guests over, I actually drive to Orlando airport and the smaller field to the North (Sanford) quite a lot. At Sanford I like browsing the Crusader display...

With Orlando you're out onto the Expressway in no time flat, and when you get to the I-4 overshoot (as in '50% of the time when I want I-4 south I overshoot that double slip turnoff, and I end up crossing under I-4 instead, then doing a 180 half a mile further on'). I've been INTO Orlando in the distant past, I don't go there much frankly - I prefer the smaller places, Winter Haven is local, for example.

One of my favourite memories is actually of an airport trip - having dropped off a friend from Dallas I was heading back home, the evening sun was warm and low, and I rolled the windows down to suck in some of that warm, petrol laden air while Reef radio (the point?) belted out some old Beach Boys stuff and I tapped the beat out on the sill of the window, you can't buy that sort of instant nostalgia (you know, nostalgia for a past you didn't actually experience <g>).

Scotland's really very nice, lovely scenery, a bit short on sunshine - you don't get this green without plenty of rain - the contrast for 5 or 6 weeks a year is beautiful... the contrasts are what make our annual swaps so good, can't wait for retirement when my wife and I are hoping to spend a few months in each country in rotation for as long as we can manage it. I can attest that it is not only possible, but in fact a frequent experience for many, to 'enjoy' a wide range of weather in a single day up here - the local helo SAR service spend most of each summer winching hypothermic people dressed in T-shirts off mountainsides.

We've got a beautiful planet, I've been lucky enough to have seen quite a lot of it, it's one of the selling points of the military that you'll get to see lots of places you wouldn't normally go to. Call me shallow - I always enjoyed Florida, I'm happy I can keep going back there <g> (Dammit, I even bought some of the Mouse's shirts....)

Dave

(in reply to Monter_Trismegistos)
Post #: 135
RE: Check the Front Page! - 5/11/2008 6:46:01 AM   
Shark7

Well if you've been to Dallas, you've been near my part of the world. I've traveled a lot of the US though, I think the worst traffic is in Houston. Dallas can be bad at times too.

Really surprised you didn't find Texas too hot coming from Scotland. We usually end up running the Air Conditioning into November around here.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to DaveB)
Post #: 136
RE: Check the Front Page! - 5/11/2008 4:42:16 PM   
m10bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: anarchyintheuk

quote:

ORIGINAL: m10bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Emotional blackmail is not going to work as a tactic. Sorry.

Berum nicht?

Its been a long time since i took german, but doesn't that translate to "forest not"? Think you mean "warum nicht?"

You are correct.. I must fall back on these excuses:

1. I learned colloquial German in Hesse and presumed it was spelled as they speak it.

2. I have not been there to speak that language in 30+ years.
and
3. I may be an ignoramus !

Post #: 137
RE: Check the Front Page! - 5/12/2008 8:37:40 PM   
DaveB

Nope Shark,
I was in Florida, my friend visited from Dallas... however, I have great hopes of exploring the US a bit more one fine day...I've whizzed through Washington, and spent a total of maybe 2 weeks in Maine, the rest of my time has been split between JAX, Homestead (Miami) and Orlando area. Florida weather is great - it's sunny, and it's warm, occasionally hot. When you come from somewhere cold and (usually) grey these are good points. Air conditioning and pools take care of the extremes.

Funnily enough many Florida residents initially mistake my wife and I for locals, due to our cracked and brown/leathery appearance - an easy mistake to make, as the fresh coat of creosote we apply each autumn to prevent waterlogging and rot CAN look a bit like a tan at first glance.

Actually, even stranger - our hire car last year had N Carolina plates, and when they heard our accents people would ask "where'd you come from?"  - 'Scotland' we'd reply...despite being English and sounding so. The next question used to throw us - 'So what's the weather like in Carolina at the moment?'.

It seems your accent, appearance and answers count for nothing against a license plate.

Dave

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 138
RE: Check the Front Page! - 5/13/2008 4:00:25 AM   
mikemike

quote:

I can attest that it is not only possible, but in fact a frequent experience for many, to 'enjoy' a wide range of weather in a single day up here - the local helo SAR service spend most of each summer winching hypothermic people dressed in T-shirts off mountainsides.

Dave

I know that the weather in Scotland can surprise you - happened to me in 2002 when I made a bus tour through the Highlands (mainly). Was mentally and wardrobe-wise prepared for cool, wet weather, but I caught in fact a slight case of sunburn walking around in Braemar. And when we arrived at our hotel in Tomintoul about 3 p.m., the temperature inside my hotel room was beyond 30 degrees Celsius - apparently the hotel staff hadn't trusted the forecast and turned the heating up full bore. (A good thing about Scotland - the hotels have heating that deserves the name - in other places I've found light bulbs inside a metal box posing as heating - and this was still in Britain). Fortunately, the weather held for the trip to Loch Ness, but then it returned to form - Balmoral, Glenfiddich, Blair Castle, and Edinburgh in the rain. Anyway, they told us that the mountain rescue team from Aviemore has about a thousand rescue operations every year, with about twenty fatalities. Makes you think.

DON´T PANIC - IT´S ALL JUST ONES AND ZEROES!

(in reply to DaveB)
Post #: 139
RE: Check the Front Page! - 5/13/2008 6:08:04 AM   
bradfordkay

I'm sure that you kept warm in Glenfiddich... though that warmth may have come internally.

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to mikemike)
Post #: 140
RE: Check the Front Page! - 5/13/2008 10:47:08 PM   
mikemike

quote:

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

I'm sure that you kept warm in Glenfiddich... though that warmth may have come internally.

Well, I should have said the Glenfiddich Distillery which is near Dufftown-on-Spey. As for keeping warm - the sample that was part of the tour was impressive, but they don't sell stuff younger than 12 years, and the price starts off with 35,50 Euros for delivery to Germany - about 55 Dollars. If you'd like to buy the 40 year old stuff - that's 1450 Euros - about 2500 Dollars. I don't know what the stuff costs in the U.S. - I guess it won't come cheaper. In view of those prices, you generally find some other way to warm up. This is more like an investment, not a mere drink. But if you ever visit Scotland, this is a very polished and professionally managed tourist attraction, not just a working distillery. Just look at their website.

quote:

Wasn't even aware that "berum" was a word in German... Never used it myself, and I live next door to them...

No, it isn't, and I'm a German, so I should know. But Americans have sometimes strange notions of what is German, if you believe movies or TV shows, we say things like "gerblunden" or "Ras, ras". But I'd be content if at least the actors playing German characters wouldn't speak broken German with an English accent so thick you could grasp it.

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 141
RE: Check the Front Page! - 5/13/2008 11:18:28 PM   
Terminus

That's called Gestapo English. Live with it...

(in reply to mikemike)
Post #: 142
RE: Check the Front Page! - 5/13/2008 11:20:07 PM   
Dixie

quote:

Ve haff vays of making you tock...

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 143
RE: Check the Front Page! - 5/13/2008 11:25:48 PM   
Terminus

Or my favourite,

Ve haf vays of makink you screem in agony...

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 144
RE: Check the Front Page! - 5/14/2008 1:38:35 AM   
DaveB

Ach, for you Tommy ze vor is over!

Grus Gott, verdamnt Englander Schwein! (Imprecation usually hurled at Matt Braddock VC, Sgt Pilot and all round good egg, shortly before his latest uncannily aimed bomb sinks another sneaky Hun...)

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 145
RE: Check the Front Page! - 5/15/2008 7:25:28 PM   
mikemike

quote:

Seems I'll have to ...

And now for something completely different: Danes have endeared themselves to the German public by the cute accent they have when speaking German. Though as the sentiment was originally triggered by people like Ann Smyrner, Vivi Bach or Gitte Haenning, there may have been other mechanisms at play ...

Although it's noteworthy that the Swedish Chef from Sesame Street is Danish in the German language version (singing "Smoerrebroed, Smoerrebroed, roem poem poem poem" ['oe' should properly be an 'o' with a slash through it, but I don't think the internet will transmit that correctly] ).

This mechanism also works for Dutch or English persons to a slightly lesser degree, so much so that several entertainment people who are able to speak a pretty unaccented German actually put on a "stage accent" when appearing in public.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 146
RE: Check the Front Page! - 5/19/2008 8:54:07 PM   
CaptDave

quote:

Actually, even stranger - our hire car last year had N Carolina plates, and when they heard our accents people would ask "where'd you come from?"  - 'Scotland' we'd reply...despite being English and sounding so. The next question used to throw us - 'So what's the weather like in Carolina at the moment?'.

It seems your accent, appearance and answers count for nothing against a license plate.

Dave

Actually, Scotland Neck is a town in North Carolina. Maybe you actually ran across the only people outside a 15-mile radius who knew that! (No, I didn't; I looked it up in a very incomplete atlas, because I know that at least one state has a town called Scotland.)

(in reply to DaveB)
Post #: 147
RE: Check the Front Page! - 5/19/2008 11:59:49 PM   
LargeSlowTarget

quote:

*in voice of John Cleese*: "Saetz not fonnie!"

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 148
RE: Check the Front Page! - 5/21/2008 2:14:32 PM   
ny59giants

Nice to see ALL those new screenshots.

(in reply to LargeSlowTarget)
Post #: 149
RE: Check the Front Page! - 6/5/2008 9:13:30 PM   
Weidi72

The Admiral’s Edition expansion is currently scheduled for an early Summer, 2008 release.

Still in time?

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Check the Front Page! Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI