Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Turn Based or Realtime

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Turn Based or Realtime Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Turn Based or Realtime - 6/7/2008 9:24:29 PM   
mjk428

Like a lot of people I can't pick one. I don't just play hex-based wargames. If I did, then turn-based would be the logical choice for me.

I'm currently playing GTA IV - which would surely suck if turn-based. OTOH, I think Mass Effect would have been much better if the combat wasn't resolved so much like a shooter. Turn-based, or at least the ability to pause and give individual orders, would have made that game much more replayable for me. As it stands you can play from start to finish quite effectively with nothing but an assault rifle. Which renders all the character choices, and the AI controlled allies in combat, rather meaningless to me.

Generally the more strategic the scope, the more I prefer turn based. One exception to that rule, and there are some others, is Harpoon. A game that plays perfectly in real-time with time compression & pause.

So neither choice is "better". The important thing to me is how well the chosen method works in each game. As of late the games I prefer to play are not turn based. They're not "strategy games" in the strict sense of the word either. If wargames are to again be #1 in my heart, the computer opponents need to get a lot better and the interface needs to be seamless. Otherwise I'd rather play on my XBox 360 (solo & multiplayer) or even the Wii. Does Wii Bowling qualify as turn-based? :)

(in reply to reg113)
Post #: 31
RE: Turn Based or Realtime - 6/7/2008 10:00:32 PM   
EUBanana

No preference, it doesn't actually feature into any decisions I make regarding what games I play.

(in reply to reg113)
Post #: 32
RE: Turn Based or Realtime - 6/8/2008 12:06:09 AM   
V22 Osprey

So far I count 23 turn based,6 realtime.

I kinda figured turn based would win since alot of matrix games are turn based.

People outside of Forum:
1 Turn Based,6 Realtime.

I used to like Realtime more,but then I found this gameboy game called Advanced wars 2(turn based) and couldn't stop playing it.Then SPWAW further got me into Turn based.Turn based games does have more strategy than realtime,but it isn't realistic.In real life,the enemy is not going to way til you move,anything can happen at anytime.For me I like both.But a good realtime strategy is COTA or HTTR.It isn't a click fest and it's the only operational realtime game I've seen.

(in reply to EUBanana)
Post #: 33
RE: Turn Based or Realtime - 6/8/2008 12:23:21 AM   
sabre1

Enjoy both, but if push comes to shove, turn based.

(in reply to reg113)
Post #: 34
RE: Turn Based or Realtime - 6/8/2008 1:00:46 AM   
Arctic Blast

Can't really choose. It completely depends on the game, and how well it's implemented.

Meditation on inevitable death should be performed daily.

(in reply to sabre1)
Post #: 35
RE: Turn Based or Realtime - 6/8/2008 1:21:40 AM   
V22 Osprey

that's 25 TB,7 RT(People who can't decide or choose both I count as 1 TB,1 RT)

(in reply to Arctic Blast)
Post #: 36
RE: Turn Based or Realtime - 6/8/2008 1:28:38 AM   
Deathtreader

Pausable Real time...... ala COTA.

So we're at war with the Russkies eh?? I suppose we really ought to invade or something. (Lonnnng pause while studying the map)
Hmmmm... big place ain't it??
- Sir Harry Flashman (1854)

(in reply to V22 Osprey)
Post #: 37
RE: Turn Based or Realtime - 6/8/2008 1:43:42 AM   
Prince of Eckmühl

Processing horse-power permitting, I prefer RT on the computer. My favorites are the games from the Sid Meier's Gettysburg and Close Combat families. Likewise, I rarely play hex-based computer games, turns, or no turns. And I'd much rather play against a human, competent, or otherwise.

PoE (aka ivanmoe)

Government is the opiate of the masses.

(in reply to reg113)
Post #: 38
RE: Turn Based or Realtime - 6/8/2008 1:45:33 AM   
Hertston

quote:

ORIGINAL: V22 Osprey

Turn based games does have more strategy than realtime,but it isn't realistic.In real life,the enemy is not going to way til you move,anything can happen at anytime.

An issue that is pretty much resolved by WEGO. I think it is only a significant 'realism' issue at the tactical level anyway, above that (and even including it in many ways) there is still a big action/reaction process going on as the initiative changes, and a well designed turn-based system can capture that very well.

(in reply to V22 Osprey)
Post #: 39
RE: Turn Based or Realtime - 6/8/2008 2:31:29 AM   
V22 Osprey

I'll count Herston as a Turn based vote.I have finally got a clear vote from him.

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 40
RE: Turn Based or Realtime - 6/8/2008 4:09:21 AM   
Goblin

Turn based or pausable RT for me.

Goblin

(in reply to V22 Osprey)
Post #: 41
RE: Turn Based or Realtime - 6/8/2008 4:11:52 AM   
V22 Osprey

Thats 1 for TB,1 RT.

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 42
RE: Turn Based or Realtime - 6/8/2008 10:26:18 AM   
panzers

quote:

ORIGINAL: V22 Osprey

So far I count 23 turn based,6 realtime.

I kinda figured turn based would win since alot of matrix games are turn based.

People outside of Forum:
1 Turn Based,6 Realtime.

I used to like Realtime more,but then I found this gameboy game called Advanced wars 2(turn based) and couldn't stop playing it.Then SPWAW further got me into Turn based.Turn based games does have more strategy than realtime,but it isn't realistic.In real life,the enemy is not going to way til you move,anything can happen at anytime.For me I like both.But a good realtime strategy is COTA or HTTR.It isn't a click fest and it's the only operational realtime game I've seen.

consistant with the clientelle on this forum which are people who play matrix games

(in reply to V22 Osprey)
Post #: 43
RE: Turn Based or Realtime - 6/8/2008 11:21:11 AM   
Stele

Turn based for me.

You're probably going to get a lot of TB answers since a lot of these Matrixgames games are TB.

(in reply to panzers)
Post #: 44
RE: Turn Based or Realtime - 6/8/2008 4:33:41 PM   
BoredStiff

Turn based, with WEGO.
(and that's a turn base vote)

BoredStiff

[Link and Avatar removed by Moderator]

(in reply to Stele)
Post #: 45
RE: Turn Based or Realtime - 6/8/2008 8:19:59 PM   
mikul82

Turn based here as well.

(in reply to mjk428)
Post #: 46
RE: Turn Based or Realtime - 6/8/2008 9:16:18 PM   
Joshuatree

Both.

(in reply to mikul82)
Post #: 47
RE: Turn Based or Realtime - 6/8/2008 9:32:30 PM   
V22 Osprey

11 RT,32 TB.

Outside:

2 TB,9 RT

(in reply to Joshuatree)
Post #: 48
RE: Turn Based or Realtime - 6/8/2008 9:37:51 PM   
JMass

Turn based, no doubt.

"Klotzen, nicht Kleckern!"Generaloberst Heinz Wilhelm Guderian

My boardgames collection: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/JMass?own=1&subtype=boardgame&ff=1

(in reply to V22 Osprey)
Post #: 49
RE: Turn Based or Realtime - 6/9/2008 12:20:49 AM   
Widell

Based on what games that tend to survive the longest, I must to say TB (but only in a choose or be forever banished to (paste in whatever game irritates you the most)-land). That being said, I also play RT pausable with great pleasure.

(in reply to JMass)
Post #: 50
RE: Turn Based or Realtime - 6/9/2008 2:02:13 AM   
KG Erwin

1/2 turn based, 1/2 RT, as I play AoE games once in a awhile.

(in reply to mjk428)
Post #: 51
RE: Turn Based or Realtime - 6/9/2008 2:09:11 AM   
gunny

Realime captures weapon preparation time the best. Aiming, loading. Pistol vs sniper rifle, that sorta thing. Realtime is realism. doesn't mean its more fun.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 52
RE: Turn Based or Realtime - 6/9/2008 2:12:16 AM   
Big B

Essentially, for a strategic or tactical military game, TB is more realistic, because real combat develops slowly over a period of days or hours...which so-called RT does not do justice to. Not to mention, we RT players don't have Real Time Staffs to assist us a real supreme commander would.

That being said, REAL TIME can be G-R-E-A-T too for a military game. A perfect example of which would be the old DOS based "War College", or perhaps the Total War series (a nice blend of TB and RT).

The main reason I don't care for most RT games is because they become military "Tetris", which is ok if that's what you're looking for, but they do not come off as realistic in general...if that's what you are looking for.

So to sum up I would say, TB generally is better for these kind of games, but a well done RT can be just as good (or perhaps better than) a TB game.

B

(in reply to Widell)
Post #: 53
RE: Turn Based or Realtime - 6/9/2008 2:19:43 AM   
Fred98

World War 2 lasted 6 years. There are no real time games.

-

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 54
RE: Turn Based or Realtime - 6/9/2008 3:26:00 AM   
pad152

TB or RT, it depends on the game, look at CMSF or Threatre of War the trade off for RT is the number of units you can control, add too many an you end up with Sudden Strike. Harpoon wouldn't be Harpoon without the RT aspect, it works. The battles in the total war series, I can't imagen playing them in a TB mode, they would take way to long and become boring. The AI in most RT/RTS is very limited and too many game designs use RT just to make up for a crapy AI. I think my biggest problem with most RT/RTS games is, they haven't evolved, their still the same as the original Command and Conquer.

(in reply to Fred98)
Post #: 55
RE: Turn Based or Realtime - 6/9/2008 5:20:20 AM   
EUBanana

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joe 98

World War 2 lasted 6 years. There are no real time games.

-

Tho WITP is close.

(in reply to Fred98)
Post #: 56
RE: Turn Based or Realtime - 6/9/2008 9:53:39 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

Realime captures weapon preparation time the best. Aiming, loading. Pistol vs sniper rifle, that sorta thing.

In TB it's mostly numbers, like tactical combat in Jagged Alliance and UFO/X-Com series. But furthermore, those games allow much more micromanaging of own troops (autopistol in right hand, grenade in left hand) than would be reasonably possible in most RTS games. Ok, Starfleet Command serie and the likes (Rules of Engagement serie) are exceptions, becouse friendly AI does its part.

quote:

Essentially, for a strategic or tactical military game, TB is more realistic, because real combat develops slowly over a period of days or hours...which so-called RT does not do justice to. Not to mention, we RT players don't have Real Time Staffs to assist us a real supreme commander would.

There are RTS games, where multiple people can play on same side (World in Conflict). Or in single player mode, player can assign some tasks for AI (Hearts of Iron, I think). In Starfleet Command and Rules of Engagement player is the Fleet Captain, and orders captains of other ships at his disposal to do stuff. There are even games which recognize voice commands, which could add good twist when those things start working properly.

quote:

I think my biggest problem with most RT/RTS games is, they haven't evolved, their still the same as the original Command and Conquer.

That's better than being stuck at level of Dune 2, or worse. Oh, and try out Total War serie and Supreme Commander

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to EUBanana)
Post #: 57
RE: Turn Based or Realtime - 6/10/2008 3:41:08 AM   
Feinder

TB

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

(in reply to reg113)
Post #: 58
RE: Turn Based or Realtime - 6/10/2008 4:26:45 AM   
Gem35

real time games make me nervous and my fingers hurt from clicking so fast.
I guess I am just old but I like to "think" when I play a wargame.
I hate having to "zerg"

It doesn't make any sense, Admiral. Were we better than the Japanese or just luckier?

Banner By Feurer Krieg

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 59
RE: Turn Based or Realtime - 6/10/2008 7:40:50 AM   
Zap

TB

(in reply to Gem35)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Turn Based or Realtime Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI