Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: unrealistic air combat...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> RE: unrealistic air combat... Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: unrealistic air combat... - 6/20/2008 9:13:43 PM   
DEB

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: DEB

quote:

Been busy at work lately with little time to post, but I'm enjoying watching DEB................give a fool enough rope.....

I see you have not disagreed the comments I made to Tocaff, or even entered the general disscussion. I wonder why.

Probably beacuse I am tired of this:

http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/warriorshtm/tirelessrebutter.htm

If the shoe fits.......

That is, of course, the tongue-in-cheek reason. The reeal reason is just as I stated. My days of heavy posting activity here were a result of boredom at work that lasted for about 6 months as the architecture business has been slow. I had a new whirlwind project dumped in my lap last week (command breifing center at Command Forward Headquaters in Qatar for the four start general in command of CENTCOM) that I have only two months to produce. My posting on all forums here has dropped off to the "merely occasional" level. Right now I don't have the mental energy to waste on efforts to educate people like you.

My, what a grand opinion you have of yourself. The length of this post ( & previous ones ) would have been enough for a reasonable viewpoint or three. Still, our gain - your loss.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 121
RE: unrealistic air combat... - 6/20/2008 9:28:29 PM   
DEB

quote:

ORIGINAL: SuluSea

quote:

Change my settings??? LOL, assuredly you have a much higher opinion of yourself than I have of you.

I'll admit to a little error here. It appears most of your posts overfill my screen & if I move my bottom bar ( between the arrows ) to the right I see the little Blue boxes that I had missed before. It's a shame though that you appear such an unhelpful snob!

quote:

Night Carrier Ops would have been mass suicide for the pilots embarking on the mission. No commander worth his salt would have given the order to attack in that manner, not to mention the damage inflicted would have been minimal. If the IJN Carriers was capable they wouldn't have waited to just before dawn to launch their attacks in the carrier engagements. Strange you fail to be able to figure that out for yourself.

Mass suicide is rather an overstatement is it not! Sorry, can't figure out the impossible; by the way, some attacks were made at dawn therefore they took off in the dark!!

(in reply to SuluSea)
Post #: 122
RE: unrealistic air combat... - 6/20/2008 9:32:47 PM   
DEB

quote:

ORIGINAL: tocaff

I don't argue the possibility of such a strike, just that the losses would be devastating on the strike force so as to make it something that's not modeled properly. 

Then we more or less agree. Thank you.

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 123
RE: unrealistic air combat... - 6/20/2008 9:37:25 PM   
DEB

quote:

ORIGINAL: mdiehl

quote:

The same observations apply. You have not listed a single instance of a Japanese cv-based night raid on an airbase or indeed a single instance of any Japanese cv-based raid on any kind of target at all. That is because the Japanese had no ability to conduct such raids.

Rubbish, they had the ability and chose not to use it ( presumablly because the possible OPS losses were a deterrant ).

quote:

Indeed, why waste the time. It was surely possible to exclude Carrier based Aircraft from night missions. So why did they ( the game designers ) NOT do it?

My answer would be that the game designers erred. Very few powers developed any capability in it at all, during WW2, and the UK started out with the first and best capability both from CVs and lba, and the USAAF and USN quickly learned from and in some ways improved on the technique. The Japanese, in contrast, had no capability for night attacks from cv based planes and very little capability from land based mult-engine types.

Let's not presume.
It would be nice to have some input from Mr Billings here.

(in reply to mdiehl)
Post #: 124
RE: unrealistic air combat... - 6/20/2008 9:49:37 PM   
DEB

quote:

Ike, you never cease to amaze me with your ability to distort reality and bend it to your warped interpretation.
The only thing you are correct about is that it was no error.
It was a lack of desire to engage in the effort necessary to write the additional code necessary to create an entirely separate interface for carrier air operations.
A perfectly plausible explanation for what you see that does not distort reality in order to support your perception.

Ah Hah. So you engage. I think you like to wind up IKE99.

Again, someone presumes to know the thoughts of the designers.
If you are indeed right, it's a BIG goof by them.
From the evidence I have seen, they have given us all the chance to learn that night OPS ( especially Carrier ones ) are very risky. Thats part of the game experience.
By the way do you ever use the optional Jap Sub OPS rule?
THAT is just as gamey judging by most peoples interpretations here.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 125
RE: unrealistic air combat... - 6/20/2008 9:52:33 PM   
DEB

quote:

ORIGINAL: mdiehl

quote:

Night Carrier Ops would have been mass suicide for the pilots embarking on the mission. No commander worth his salt would have given the order to attack in that manner, not to mention the damage inflicted would have been minimal.

Exactly. A good consim would probably let the Japanese player attempt a night raid from KB, automatically reward him with very high ops losses, result in no effect on the target, and then lock the Japanese player out of the game and hand over management of his assets to the AI for two or three months to simulate the reorganization period as the current "cic and staff" is removed from office, shot, replaced with a new cic and staff, and they gear up to figure out how to run the war properly.

My, what an imagination. Would anyone buy that type of game?

(in reply to mdiehl)
Post #: 126
RE: unrealistic air combat... - 6/20/2008 9:55:41 PM   
DEB

quote:

Oh my, what happened? You no longer claim to be the spawn of Tojo's loins??? Things do seem to be a bit unsettled in your neck of the woods. I hope all goes well for you (and I'm not being facetious).

Hmm, now that is an interesting observation.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 127
RE: unrealistic air combat... - 6/20/2008 10:13:15 PM   
Ike99

quote:

I think this is a bit extreme since night attacks are POSSIBLE but the simple fact is that, based on what we've seen here they are:

a) Way too effective

What is ¨too effective¨? Is this too effective?

Nightime strikes on PM...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Ike99 -- 6/20/2008 10:15:36 PM >

(in reply to DEB)
Post #: 128
RE: unrealistic air combat... - 6/20/2008 10:24:13 PM   
DEB

Read and weep all you unbelievers.

http://www.ussessexcv9.org/pdfs/Japanese%20Carrier%20Operations.pdf

(in reply to bigbaba)
Post #: 129
RE: unrealistic air combat... - 6/20/2008 10:33:14 PM   
Ike99

quote:

The apparatus, called chakkan shidoto (literally, landing guidance light), was invented at the Kasumigaura Naval Station in 1932 as a night landing aid. It was fitted on Japan's first carrier, Hosho, in 1933 and after being proved on Hosho, adapted to the other carriers. It was used both day and night from about 1934 onward.

Gets more ¨plausible¨ all the time no?

(in reply to DEB)
Post #: 130
RE: unrealistic air combat... - 6/20/2008 10:34:31 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

Weep over what? What have you convinced yourself this proves? No one disputes the actual physical capaility to launch and hopefully recover planes existed during the time period covered by the game. What we dispute with complete validity is the far fetched notion that doctrinal and operational mindsets would have ever facilitated it's implementation to represent any signifiacnat percentage of total operations. THIS is what I mean by "resonably plausible" since the concept continues to leave a huge bruise on your forehead as it bounces off and skims over your head.

What you and Ike persist in demonstrating you are in denial of is the simple fact that a physical capability does not automatically equate to a reasonably plausible implementation. Doctrinal and operational mindsets have HUGE impact on what is and is not reasonably plausible.

< Message edited by HansBolter -- 6/20/2008 10:40:57 PM >

(in reply to DEB)
Post #: 131
RE: unrealistic air combat... - 6/20/2008 11:00:06 PM   
Ike99

quote:

What we dispute with complete validity is the far fetched notion that doctrinal and operational mindsets would have ever facilitated it's implementation...

If the operations officer for the 5th flotilla, Captain Yamaoka described 2/3rds of the Japanese carrier pilots as highly trained in night carrier operations in 1942 then how would a person come to the conclusion that night operations from carriers are ¨far fetched¨ in both mindset and doctrinal thinking? They would not have trained anyone in night operations if what you say is true.

If you wanted to make a houserule on night attacks from carriers, why not say only Kates or Vals can bomb at night from carriers, take your pick. To approximately simulate the 2/3rds ¨thoroughly trained at night¨ Japanese carrier pilots.

quote:

since the concept continues to leave a huge bruise on your forehead as it bounces off and skims over your head.

You´re not being very nice again.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 132
RE: unrealistic air combat... - 6/20/2008 11:58:34 PM   
Joe D.

Night carrier ops for either side are not that far-fetched, esp. later in the war. However, re Battle 360, the strike planes must be radar-equiped in order to be effective.

I imagine a full moon would make a difference, but as far as I know, there's no provision for this in UV, CaW, WitP, WPO or even CF.

Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.

"The Angel of Okinawa"

Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 133
RE: unrealistic air combat... - 6/21/2008 12:07:20 AM   
mdiehl

quote:

If the operations officer for the 5th flotilla, Captain Yamaoka described 2/3rds of the Japanese carrier pilots as highly trained in night carrier operations in 1942 then how would a person come to the conclusion that night operations from carriers are ¨far fetched¨ in both mindset and doctrinal thinking? They would not have trained anyone in night operations if what you say is true.

I don't think his claim is correct, or else what he means by "night operations" and "extensively trained" are being misunderstood by yourself. American aviators intensively trained at night launching and night landing in the expectation that they might need to do either in the accomplishment of a dawn or evening attack, and they extensively trained at it starting in 1932. That does not mean that they could have hit anything at night. The complete absence of any such attack by either American or Japanese aviators prior to 1944, at which time only American aviators did it, is compelling enough evidence to me to suggest that the Japanese had no capability to hit *any* target of any kind accurately at night in the time frame covered by UV.

If I ever find substantive corroborating evidence to the contrary I will let you know. But at the moment one Japanese captain's subjective statement is filed with other "interesting but who knows what it means" assertions of the "And We'd Have Gotten Away With It Were It Not For You Meddling Kids" postscript kind.

Show me a fellow who rejects statistical analysis a priori and I'll show you a fellow who has no knowledge of statistics.

Didn't we have this conversation already?

(in reply to DEB)
Post #: 134
RE: unrealistic air combat... - 6/23/2008 9:01:03 AM   
pasternakski

Do you really want a game in which night carrier operations against enemy ships can be effective and possibly decisive in WWII?

I don't. I say, "Forget it."

Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.

(in reply to mdiehl)
Post #: 135
RE: unrealistic air combat... - 6/23/2008 6:13:20 PM   
Ike99

quote:

Do you really want a game in which night carrier operations against enemy ships can be effective and possibly decisive in WWII?

I don't. I say, "Forget it."

I don´t think anyone here would like to see that.

(in reply to pasternakski)
Post #: 136
RE: unrealistic air combat... - 6/23/2008 7:13:56 PM   
Joe D.

Because of the limited time span, CV night ops can't historically happen in UV/CF unless you want another hypothetical scenario, but WitP/AE is another story.

From cv6.org:

"When Enterprise stood out from Oahu on Christmas Eve 1944, she had been re-designated CV(N)-6. The "N" stood for "Night". Enterprise was the first fleet carrier ordered into, and capable of, around-the-clock warfare. At night, her planes would fly combat air patrols and launch strikes against the enemy; by day her flight deck was ready to receive planes and pilots too battered to return to their home carriers, to fly CAP missions during enemy attack and to provide fighter direction for the fleet."

I think there was only one night-capable Avenger squadron stationed on the Big E.

"The Angel of Okinawa"

(in reply to pasternakski)
Post #: 137
RE: unrealistic air combat... - 6/23/2008 7:43:43 PM   
bigbaba

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ike99

quote:

I think this is a bit extreme since night attacks are POSSIBLE but the simple fact is that, based on what we've seen here they are:

a) Way too effective

What is ¨too effective¨? Is this too effective?

Nightime strikes on PM...

too bad, that i forgot to save the AAR of the attacks, in which you caused stunning damage to PM, ike. attacks with more then 100 runway hits, more then 500 casualties and 30+ planes drstroyed on the ground.

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 138
RE: unrealistic air combat... - 6/23/2008 8:16:00 PM   
Ike99

quote:

too bad, that i forgot to save the AAR of the attacks, in which you caused stunning damage to PM, ike. attacks with more then 100 runway hits, more then 500 casualties and 30+ planes drstroyed on the ground.

If I had over 300 planes hitting PM airfield and scored 100 hits, that´s 33% approx. More or less the 27% airfield hit percentage I posted in the screen shot. It´s the same % roughly. Total hit number by itself doesn´t mean much without the number of attacking aircraft.

The percentage is the primary statistic.

Number of aircraft on the ground destroyed was related to how ¨crowded¨ you had aircraft at PM from what I saw. That´s how the rule book explains it anyway.

¨stunning damage¨

Haha...¨shell shock¨.....tell me the truth, I ran you out of supply a few time didn´t I? Your AA guns stopped shooting and that´s a sure sign of low, or no supplies.

< Message edited by Ike99 -- 6/23/2008 8:39:22 PM >

(in reply to bigbaba)
Post #: 139
RE: unrealistic air combat... - 6/23/2008 9:59:14 PM   
Joe D.

"... Number of aircraft on the ground destroyed was related to how ¨crowded¨ you had aircraft at PM from what I saw. That´s how the rule book explains it anyway."

If you could hit the airfield after dark, it would be a target rich environment w/all the planes on the ground for the night.

"The Angel of Okinawa"

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 140
RE: unrealistic air combat... - 6/23/2008 10:08:44 PM   
Ike99

quote:

If you could hit the airfield after dark, it would be a target rich environment w/all the planes on the ground for the night.

At 3,000 feet you could spit on a 2,000 meter airfield with 200 planes on it with a fair hit percentage. Daylight or dark.

(in reply to Joe D.)
Post #: 141
RE: unrealistic air combat... - 6/23/2008 10:27:24 PM   
Ike99

Any airfield capable of supporting 150-200+ aircraft on it, including large 4E bombers would be at least as big as the white box I made in the picture.

The pictures caption says it was take approx 3,000 ft. Could 1 in 4, or even 1 in 3 planes put a bomb in this square from this altitude. I think certainly yes.

Pick one of those trees, let´s say that´s a small airplane in a space and imagine that multiplied by 150 or 200 in different spaces. I don´t think 30 airplanes being hit and damaged are so unbelievable.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Ike99 -- 6/23/2008 10:38:18 PM >

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 142
RE: unrealistic air combat... - 6/23/2008 10:56:13 PM   
Ike99

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 143
RE: unrealistic air combat... - 6/24/2008 12:00:02 AM   
anarchyintheuk

Don't forget to include the flak batteries in that picture.

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 144
RE: unrealistic air combat... - 6/24/2008 12:37:23 AM   
Joe D.

quote:

quote:

At 3,000 feet you could spit on a 2,000 meter airfield with 200 planes on it with a fair hit percentage. Daylight or dark.

But at night you would have to find it first, that's the hard part, assuming the field is blacked-out.

One night during WW II, didn't British intel once trick the Germans from bombing Alexandria by a light-show diversion?

"The Angel of Okinawa"

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 145
RE: unrealistic air combat... - 6/24/2008 1:25:48 AM   
ILCK

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ike994
If I had over 300 planes hitting PM airfield and scored 100 hits, that´s 33% approx. More or less the 27% airfield hit percentage I posted in the screen shot. It´s the same % roughly. Total hit number by itself doesn´t mean much without the number of attacking aircraft.4

...and again the UK got a hit rate of less than 5% so apparently the Japs are 6x better at doing something than the brits yet really never did it. Hmmmm......maybe not right.

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 146
RE: unrealistic air combat... - 6/24/2008 1:59:29 AM   
DEB

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joe D.

quote:

quote:

But at night you would have to find it first, that's the hard part, assuming the field is blacked-out.

One night during WW II, didn't British intel once trick the Germans from bombing Alexandria by a light-show diversion?

This all started over Night time Carrier OPS. Do you want to make ALL night Air combat "gamey"?

(in reply to Joe D.)
Post #: 147
RE: unrealistic air combat... - 6/24/2008 2:01:57 AM   
Kingfisher

quote:

Any airfield capable of supporting 150-200+ aircraft on it, including large 4E bombers would be at least as big as the white box I made in the picture.

The pictures caption says it was take approx 3,000 ft. Could 1 in 4, or even 1 in 3 planes put a bomb in this square from this altitude. I think certainly yes.

Pick one of those trees, let´s say that´s a small airplane in a space and imagine that multiplied by 150 or 200 in different spaces. I don´t think 30 airplanes being hit and damaged are so unbelievable.

I think your scale is way off. Guadacanal at the end of '42 had close to 200 aircraft, and the airbase (not just the actual landing strip but aircraft revetments, control towers, etc.) was far bigger than your white box.

Consider also that by the time most airfields grew to support 200 aircraft it usually contained more than one landing strip. Guadacanal had three strips plus the field at Koli point.

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 148
RE: unrealistic air combat... - 6/24/2008 2:15:47 AM   
DEB

quote:

quote:

Weep over what? What have you convinced yourself this proves? No one disputes the actual physical capaility to launch and hopefully recover planes existed during the time period covered by the game. What we dispute with complete validity is the far fetched notion that doctrinal and operational mindsets would have ever facilitated it's implementation to represent any signifiacnat percentage of total operations. THIS is what I mean by "resonably plausible" since the concept continues to leave a huge bruise on your forehead as it bounces off and skims over your head.

What you and Ike persist in demonstrating you are in denial of is the simple fact that a physical capability does not automatically equate to a reasonably plausible implementation. Doctrinal and operational mindsets have HUGE impact on what is and is not reasonably plausible.

Do you read these things. I have stated on numerous occasions that flying to & from Carriers at night was done by the Japs. People said this was not done, but I have provided my evidence ( two sources ). As to anything else that is another matter as I have again stated many times.

It occurs to me that Doctrinal and Operational mindsets may have been against Night Carrier OPS at various levels of Command, but they were also in favour of it at others ( although overruled ). Almost everyone here is surmising as to the reasons behind those overrules, with only circumstantial evidence I might add. If you applied this logic of yours to many things that get done during a game then a lot more would become"gamey". So where do we draw the line.

For instance, several people here seem to think that ALL night Air combat should become "gamey" for a varity of stated reasons. How say you?

By the way you are being a hypocite again, please stop insulting me.

< Message edited by DEB -- 6/24/2008 2:22:40 AM >

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 149
RE: unrealistic air combat... - 6/24/2008 2:27:13 AM   
DEB

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joe D.

Night carrier ops for either side are not that far-fetched, esp. later in the war. However, re Battle 360, the strike planes must be radar-equiped in order to be effective.

I imagine a full moon would make a difference, but as far as I know, there's no provision for this in UV, CaW, WitP, WPO or even CF.

It's also been pointed out that flares were used ( and we are also talking attacks against bases rather than Ships or Aircraft - so radar has no use).

(in reply to Joe D.)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> RE: unrealistic air combat... Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI