Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Three for the Land

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Gary Grigsby's War Between the States >> The War Room >> Three for the Land Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Three for the Land - 7/7/2008 11:15:14 PM   
madgamer2

I admit that I never got the anphib to work even though I was the North vs. the computer Rebs. I have my doubts that it is worth it unless you are bored and have an extra AC around. I watched the computer play both sides and how the North was invading not just the islands but costal cities and all before the first year. I set up a game and had everything in place to invade the first island on the east coast. The first 2 years in the war go by, two different command chains in the East and no anphib.
I have found that the North can produce enough ships to strangle the South and I think that putting Little MaC in say Cincinnati with a couple of one unit leaders and an 3 or 4 Inf. leader to help or putting him in St. Louis for a Foray into AR is a much better idea. I know the computer likes to invade KY and I put lyons with 45+ units in Cairo and Halick with Grant in unit command with say 40 units. I bring most of the leaders along even the worthless ons to command those far flung single unit guys.
The point is are there any other players who do not put an AC in Ft. Monroe with a couple of single unit leaders and a supply Depot, and a garrison and Cav. to protect it. I think there are many uses for the forth AC like taking a couple of large units in a position behind say Harpers Ferry to use in case of invasion. I can think of many ways to use him other than sitting in Ft. Monroe. How about You other players? any other Ideas?
Post #: 1
RE: Three for the Land - 7/9/2008 4:40:22 PM   
rmday

Usually, I use three ACs in the Western Theater. I keep one AC in Missouri/Arkansas and try to push as far as I can. I keep one AC moving down the Mississippi River. I keep one AC for the Nashville-Chatanooga-Atlanta push.

I just finished a Union game vs. the computer (set on normal). Instead of an AC in Missouri, I used one in West Virginia/ Western Maryland. The highlight of this strategy was the ability to encircle the Confederate main force. I admit that this was against the computer AI, but my WV AC took Gordonsville and held back a small force to take Fredricksburg on the same turn (The AC in Washington pinned the Confederate Army by fighting and losing in Manassas). This left the Army of Northern Virginia cut off in Manassas. On the very next turn, I attacked Manassas again with a stronger force and forced the surrender of the entire 100,000K+ Army of Northern Virginia.

In the same game, i did it again by taking Appomattox and Petersburg with my flanking AC while the rebuilt confederate army was pinned in Richmond by my main force. My pinning actions resulted in Strategic losses on the scoreboard but the benefit of encirclement was well worth it.

(in reply to madgamer2)
Post #: 2
RE: Three for the Land - 7/10/2008 4:10:31 AM   
heroldje

I usually have all the islands captured by turn 3 at the latest.  I will start with Ft Jackson in N.O after that, and then Jacksonvill in FL, Savannah, Willmington, New Bern... etc..   If you are unable to do this you are doing something wrong.  I have the blockade locked down by capturing ports by 1863 at the latest, to the point I hardly need cruisers anymore.  In my current game the only ports stubbornly holding on are norfolk and wilmington. 

Make sure you leave a TC and an AC in washington.  When they get initiative you only need to send a handful of infantry to take a port.  Remember you need 4 transports pts per unit in the disembark region, and transportation in all regions between..

(in reply to rmday)
Post #: 3
RE: Three for the Land - 7/10/2008 7:20:32 AM   
PyleDriver

Should I give you guys some true gifts? Ok I will. When you hit KY, have a weak commander hit Padach overrun it. Then hit Humbolt in force, Grant, Pope, all the big boys you have 3 inf guys. The cav can overrun KY. This puts you square in the CSA's face early. I did this to Joel and he still beat me, damn...He's that good. Don't play Jan guys, hell turn your dreams black...

(in reply to heroldje)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Gary Grigsby's War Between the States >> The War Room >> Three for the Land Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI