Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

"Funny" side effects of Splash Damage Fix

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> "Funny" side effects of Splash Damage Fix Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
"Funny" side effects of Splash Damage Fix - 4/3/2002 11:20:21 PM   
Svennemir

First of all, these things happen very rarely and are not a real problem. Whether they reduce net realism at all can be discussed.

Strange effect #1:
Since there are two damage checks now, one for direct and one for splash, damage can be given twice. Each time infantry units take casulaties there is a chance of smokepop+retreat. Since they can now receive damage twice, infantry units can sometimes be seen retreating two hexes when hit by one round. "GET THE HELL OUTTA THERE!" :eek: :eek:

Strange effect #2: Actually the same thing, but for vehicles. A vehicle can be hit twice by any one round. As you all know, vehicles can be hit by artilery bombardment. The chance of a "splash hit" is AFAIK the same as the hit probability during bombardment. I'm not sure if I've yet seen this happening, but theoretically it should happen.

Strange effect #3: This is also about vehicles: Since there is a hit check for indirect fire now, the approach angle of the round is dependant on the angle of fire. That means the unit might be hit from a weird angle. I had a HT destroyed by fire from behind - with a frontal hit. Also top hits are more common now (though still very rare!)
Post #: 1
Strange maybe. Realistic probably. - 4/4/2002 2:29:05 AM   
Gary Tatro

Strange effect #1
Though improable if you are taking that much damage where you are and retreat and still are taking damage you would probably want to leave the area quickly.

Strange effect # 2
If a shell bounces off a vehicle, or is deflected by armor, and the shell then explodes why wouldn't the vehicle be effected by shrapnel? I think that it would.

Strange effect # 3
If your vehicle is missed by a shell and the shell then explodes behind your vehicle why wouldn't your vehicle take splash effects from the rear? If it is hit by a shell from the front and then your armor deflects it and the shell explodes behind the vehicle, again should not the splash effects be on the rear armor?

I think these effects make the game more realistic and fun. Though I think it might create some unbalancing with artillary.

Gary

"Are you going to do something or just stand there and bleed"

(in reply to Svennemir)
Post #: 2
- 4/4/2002 6:28:59 AM   
Svennemir

It will create no unbalancing with artillery. It only affects direct fire and the directly targetted unit.

I haven't said that I found any of these effects unrealistic - only "funny". They add a bit of randomness to the game (of which there's already plenty :) )

(in reply to Svennemir)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> "Funny" side effects of Splash Damage Fix Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI