"Funny" side effects of Splash Damage Fix (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns

Svennemir -> "Funny" side effects of Splash Damage Fix (4/3/2002 11:20:21 PM)

First of all, these things happen very rarely and are not a real problem. Whether they reduce net realism at all can be discussed.

Strange effect #1:
Since there are two damage checks now, one for direct and one for splash, damage can be given twice. Each time infantry units take casulaties there is a chance of smokepop+retreat. Since they can now receive damage twice, infantry units can sometimes be seen retreating two hexes when hit by one round. "GET THE HELL OUTTA THERE!" :eek: :eek:

Strange effect #2: Actually the same thing, but for vehicles. A vehicle can be hit twice by any one round. As you all know, vehicles can be hit by artilery bombardment. The chance of a "splash hit" is AFAIK the same as the hit probability during bombardment. I'm not sure if I've yet seen this happening, but theoretically it should happen.

Strange effect #3: This is also about vehicles: Since there is a hit check for indirect fire now, the approach angle of the round is dependant on the angle of fire. That means the unit might be hit from a weird angle. I had a HT destroyed by fire from behind - with a frontal hit. Also top hits are more common now (though still very rare!)

Gary Tatro -> Strange maybe. Realistic probably. (4/4/2002 2:29:05 AM)

Strange effect #1
Though improable if you are taking that much damage where you are and retreat and still are taking damage you would probably want to leave the area quickly.

Strange effect # 2
If a shell bounces off a vehicle, or is deflected by armor, and the shell then explodes why wouldn't the vehicle be effected by shrapnel? I think that it would.

Strange effect # 3
If your vehicle is missed by a shell and the shell then explodes behind your vehicle why wouldn't your vehicle take splash effects from the rear? If it is hit by a shell from the front and then your armor deflects it and the shell explodes behind the vehicle, again should not the splash effects be on the rear armor?

I think these effects make the game more realistic and fun. Though I think it might create some unbalancing with artillary.

Gary

Svennemir -> (4/4/2002 6:28:59 AM)

It will create no unbalancing with artillery. It only affects direct fire and the directly targetted unit.

I haven't said that I found any of these effects unrealistic - only "funny". They add a bit of randomness to the game (of which there's already plenty :) )

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI