Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Hull-down change?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Hull-down change? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Hull-down change? - 4/4/2002 7:54:53 AM   
Goblin

According to v5.0 of the game manual:

"Designers Note: A Top Ten rule for a tank to survive on the battlefield is to be hull-down. This means that the hull is protected (behind a stone wall, the crest of a hill, etc.) while the turret is free to fire. A hull-down position allows a tank to shoot while making itself a much smaller and less exposed target. Hull Down status is a bit abstracted, as it should be based on the direction the fire is coming, not just where the front is pointed. Nonetheless, the following rule captures the flavor of tanks being in "improved positions".

Vehicles that are hull-down are harder to hit and can only be hit on their turrets.

Vehicles are considered hull-down if they are stationary and are in:
* A Rough or Stone Building hex or,
* "In-Cover" or,
*A hex that is higher in elevation than the unit firing at them or,
*In an entrenchment hex and are being fired on from the front.

Vehicles that are hull-down have their size divided by 4 for hit chance purposes, and can only be hit in the turret."

:confused: Is this still in effect? I don't think so; I've had vehicles fitting each of those qualifications (more than one qualification sometimes) hit everywhere, including the track. If this rule is still in effect in any form, can someone (Paul?) clarify for me? Thanks.

Post #: 1
- 4/4/2002 8:07:16 AM   
Leto II

I am just curious as to what the other 9 "Top Ten" rules of tank survival are, just for my personal enrichment.

Sry, but I really don't know the answer to your question. I have always assumed that tanks in cover had hull down, but never really checked up on it.

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 2
- 4/4/2002 8:09:57 AM   
Goblin

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Leto II
[B]I am just curious as to what the other 9 "Top Ten" rules of tank survival are, just for my personal enrichment.

Sry, but I really don't know the answer to your question. I have always assumed that tanks in cover had hull down, but never really checked up on it. [/B][/QUOT

Maybe we have another Top Ten List coming.....:) Hint. Hint. (AbsntMndedProf, Bernie? You listening?)

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 3
- 4/4/2002 8:25:28 AM   
Bernie

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Goblin
[B][QUOTE]Originally posted by Leto II
[B]I am just curious as to what the other 9 "Top Ten" rules of tank survival are, just for my personal enrichment.

Sry, but I really don't know the answer to your question. I have always assumed that tanks in cover had hull down, but never really checked up on it. [/B][/QUOT

Maybe we have another Top Ten List coming.....:) Hint. Hint. (AbsntMndedProf, Bernie? You listening?) [/B][/QUOTE]

Eric has promised another for next weekend, and I might slip on in there too. Can't do them too often or they take up too much room and lose their fun.

What, me worry?

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 4
- 4/4/2002 8:27:31 AM   
Goblin

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bernie
[B]

Eric has promised another for next weekend, and I might slip on in there too. Can't do them too often or they take up too much room and lose their fun. [/B][/QUOTE]

You should have said "Can't do them [I]often enough[/I] !"

Goblin:p

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 5
- 4/4/2002 7:08:33 PM   
Paul Vebber

THey have not changeed, but you have to remeber you have to START THE TURN in those conditions for them to be in effect, not just enter them during the turn.

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 6
- 4/5/2002 1:12:23 AM   
Goblin

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Paul Vebber
[B]THey have not changeed, but you have to remeber you have to START THE TURN in those conditions for them to be in effect, not just enter them during the turn. [/B][/QUOTE]

I believed I had several times, but will try again, and pay attention this time. Usually, if I put a tank on a hill, it gets BOTTOM HIT:mad: . Thanks Paul.

Goblin

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 7
- 4/5/2002 2:20:16 AM   
Charles2222

quote:

*In an entrenchment hex and are being fired on from the front.

What? I didn't know that? It makes sense, but I thought they were hull down all the time while entrenched. What if it's on a higher elevation, is it only frontal hits that are hull down? Does the program tag a unit with a 'hit' and then it's determined where, and if it's the hull it looks like a miss? BTW, I notice it technically says "entrenchment hex", not the unit being entrenched. With that in mind, if the AFV enters an infantry entrenchment hex, be the infantry present or not, will the next turn count as AFV hull down? I was thinking that this hull down business was dependant on the unit being entrenched, not the hex being entrenched, but at least in the higher elevation instance the AFV is hull down with no entrenched hex (or in a sense you could just say higher elevations are automatically entrenched, but I don't recall infantry getting bonuses from being fired on from a lower elevation. Somebody educate me!!! Oh crumbs!

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Hull-down change? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI