Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT - WWII quiz

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: OT - WWII quiz Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/13/2008 4:37:15 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: Neilster

This is trickier and hopefully hard to Google. What strange method of guiding American air-launched weapons was suggested by a famous researcher towards the end of the Second World War?

Cheers, Neilster

Is Googling allowed or not ? I Googled to find out the Polish Bear story.
Warspite1

Surely it`s googling not allowed? although of course that relies on people`s honesty....

By the way - who were the toothless terrors and why were they called that??

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 61
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/13/2008 4:46:45 PM   
Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1
Surely it`s googling not allowed? although of course that relies on people`s honesty....

Well, I like to Google such history related issues, if I must rely on memory only, I just can forget about answering any quizz here

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 62
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/13/2008 4:52:45 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Well, I like to Google such history related issues, if I must rely on memory only, I just can forget about answering any quizz here
Warspite1

Yep - that`s the idea

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 63
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/13/2008 5:09:09 PM   
Zorachus99

The attack of the 3rd Polish Bear Regiment has been overlooked for quite too long! 

Now to the local news!

A thirsty two year old bear, broke into coolers in a camp at Baker Lake Resort, and used his claws and teeth to open the cans, and so swallow down the beer. But even for a bear 36 cans of beer can be too much…… 

This amazing incident happened in a campground at Baker Lake Resort, 80 miles northeast of Seattle (Washington state in US).
According to reports from rangers (wildlife agents) at the camp, the black bear was sleeping when they found him.
The bear seemed to be sophisticated in his taste. He tried a mass-market Busch beer first, but switched to Rainier Beer, a local ale.

A ranger tried to chase the bear from the campground, but the animal just climbed a tree to sleep it off for another four hours. The rangers managed to chase the bear away, but it returned the next morning. They set a trap some doughnuts, honey and two cans of Rainier Beer as bait. They succeeded with the trick. The hard-drinking bear was captured and moved to another place.

Most men can survive adversity, the true test of a man's character is power. -Abraham Lincoln

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 64
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/13/2008 5:47:15 PM   
Norman42

Two unanswered questions still standing from my list:

Q: Who was the youngest man serving in the US Navy to win a Purple Heart and Bronze Star, and how old was he?

Q: Who was sent searching Cairo to locate a mansion for Rommel to take as his HQ in his so-to-be-accomplished capture of the city?

I give permission to fully research these 2, as they are fairly obscure, but amazing bits of WW2 trivia.

-------------

C.L.Norman

(in reply to Zorachus99)
Post #: 65
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/13/2008 6:53:50 PM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: Norman42

Two unanswered questions still standing from my list:

Q: Who was the youngest man serving in the US Navy to win a Purple Heart and Bronze Star, and how old was he?

Q: Who was sent searching Cairo to locate a mansion for Rommel to take as his HQ in his so-to-be-accomplished capture of the city?

I give permission to fully research these 2, as they are fairly obscure, but amazing bits of WW2 trivia.

Well given permition to research the last two;

1: DAMN! Calvin Graham age 12!!!!

Q: What was the first US warship to be sunk by hostile action during WW2, and who wrote a song about the ship, and what 4man band later made the song even more famous?

(in reply to Norman42)
Post #: 66
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/13/2008 7:34:51 PM   
Norman42

quote:

ORIGINAL: terje439

1: DAMN! Calvin Graham age 12!!!!

Correct! An incredible tale. Calvin Graham, age 12, enlisted in the US Navy, and served on the Battleship USS South Dakota, where he earned a Bronze Star and Purple Heart before the Navy found out how old this brave young man was.

-------------

C.L.Norman

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 67
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/13/2008 7:39:30 PM   
Norman42

quote:

Q: What was the first US warship to be sunk by hostile action during WW2, and who wrote a song about the ship, and what 4man band later made the song even more famous?

Destroyer USS Reuben James, sunk in autumn 1941 off Iceland by a UBoat. Woody Guthrie sang a song called "The Sinking of the Reuben James". Not sure about the 4 man band that did it later.

-------------

C.L.Norman

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 68
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/14/2008 12:10:18 AM   
Neilster

Could one make an argument for the USS Panay?

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to Norman42)
Post #: 69
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/14/2008 12:19:01 AM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: Norman42

quote:

Destroyer USS Reuben James, sunk in autumn 1941 off Iceland by a UBoat. Woody Guthrie sang a song called "The Sinking of the Reuben James". Not sure about the 4 man band that did it later.

I'll give you this one. 4man band= The Highwaymen

(in reply to Norman42)
Post #: 70
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/14/2008 12:20:09 AM   
terje439

quote:

Cheers, Neilster

Well one could, except that WWII is said to start with the German assault on Poland, making the sinking of the Panay pre WWII.

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 71
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/14/2008 4:25:45 AM   
Neilster

quote:

quote:

Cheers, Neilster

Well one could, except that WWII is said to start with the German assault on Poland, making the sinking of the Panay pre WWII.

Officially yes, but many historians now place the real start as early as the Japanese invasion of Manchuria in 1931. Then there's the school of thought that WW2 was really just the continuation of WW1 with a couple of powers changing sides...

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 72
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/14/2008 11:02:00 AM   
terje439

quote:

quote:

quote:

Cheers, Neilster

Officially yes, but many historians now place the real start as early as the Japanese invasion of Manchuria in 1931. Then there's the school of thought that WW2 was really just the continuation of WW1 with a couple of powers changing sides...

Cheers, Neilster

Yes, I am aware of these thoughts, and have no problems understanding them, however in the previous post I did mean 1939-1945 as WWII.

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 73
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/14/2008 3:01:07 PM   
brian brian

I think there was a different gunboat sunk before the Panay, I forget the name. Not sure the Panay was actually sunk, just attacked? Just read that last night in my WWII Quiz and Fact book that I found at the library book sale last week. I'll bring y'all some quiz questions to this thread some other time, don't have it with me right now.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 74
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/14/2008 3:08:12 PM   
Kaletsch2007

quote:

ORIGINAL: NeBert

Q: Which Pilots managed to score more than 300 officially approved victories during WW2?

Since nobody answered so far, I am gone start with the most famous fighter pilot of the WWII. COL Erich Hartmann shot down 352 planes during more than 1200 flights with 800 contacts. Interesting thing is, he served beginning oct 42, when the russian air force had already recovered and was back in strenght.
He feared the "red pilots" that much, that the russians were even willing to pay a reward of 10000 rubel to the one shooting him down.
Who ever is interested in him, there is a very good book, written by two americans. English name should be "get Hartmann down" or something like that.

(in reply to NeBert)
Post #: 75
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/14/2008 5:34:33 PM   
NeBert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kaletsch2007

quote:

Q: Which Pilots managed to score more than 300 officially approved victories during WW2?

Since nobody answered so far, I am gone start with the most famous fighter pilot of the WWII. COL Erich Hartmann shot down 352 planes during more than 1200 flights with 800 contacts. Interesting thing is, he served beginning oct 42, when the russian air force had already recovered and was back in strenght.
He feared the "red pilots" that much, that the russians were even willing to pay a reward of 10000 rubel to the one shooting him down.
Who ever is interested in him, there is a very good book, written by two americans. English name should be "get Hartmann down" or something like that.

Correct - you´ve got 50% of the answer. So there is only one Name missing ...

NeBert

(in reply to Kaletsch2007)
Post #: 76
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/14/2008 6:04:12 PM   
micheljq

[/quote]

What about Adolf Galland?

(in reply to NeBert)
Post #: 77
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/15/2008 8:45:25 AM   
Kaletsch2007

quote:

ORIGINAL: micheljq

No, quite well known, but for other things then his victories.
Only around 130 victories, if I am right.
I know, there is another one with 301 victories, also from 52nd fighter regiment, but i have to check the book for the name.

(in reply to micheljq)
Post #: 78
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/15/2008 9:15:57 AM   
Kaletsch2007

I got a challenging one.
On a graveyard 30 km north of Lagos (Portugal), six German Soldiers were buried in 1945.
What happened ?

Post #: 79
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/15/2008 9:30:10 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

I got a challenging one.
On a graveyard 30 km north of Lagos (Portugal), six German Soldiers were buried in 1945.
What happened ?

They died?

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

Post #: 80
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/15/2008 10:35:54 AM   
Neilster

I think the other pilot it was Barkhorn (Gerald?) and 301 sounds right.

Cheers, Neilster

< Message edited by Neilster -- 7/15/2008 10:37:58 AM >

Post #: 81
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/15/2008 11:00:40 AM   
rjopel

This is trickier and hopefully hard to Google. What strange method of guiding American air-launched weapons was suggested by a famous researcher towards the end of the Second World War?

Cheers, Neilster

Pigeons.  They were to have a TV guidance and the pigeons were taught to peck for food on the pictures on enemy warships.

And I didn't even Google it.

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 82
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/15/2008 11:39:00 AM   
Kaletsch2007

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

I got a challenging one.
What happened ?

They died?

Good answer
But not good enough explained to deserve the point

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 83
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/15/2008 3:23:44 PM   
terje439

quote:

quote:

I know, there is another one with 301 victories, also from 52nd fighter regiment, but i have to check the book for the name.

No offence, but this comment made me laugh

Post #: 84
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/15/2008 3:24:27 PM   
Neilster

quote:

ORIGINAL: rjopel

Cheers, Neilster

Pigeons. They were to have a TV guidance and the pigeons were taught to peck for food on the pictures on enemy warships.

And I didn't even Google it.

Correctamundo. How about that eh? The idea was proposed by the legendary psychologist B.F. Skinner and seems to have had merit. A lot of testing was done but it appears the brass just couldn't get their heads around it. It was developed to quite a sophisticated system, with multiple pigeons for redundancy and training to ignore flashes and bangs etc. Rather than TV guidance, which was in its very formative stages, I think they were experimenting with lenses and translucent screens.

If you are being targeted by a trio of hungry pigeons who are trained to get birdseed by pecking at the centre of a picture of whatever you're sitting on (and hence sending guidance signals to control surfaces)...say your prayers buddy That's a sophisticated neural network homing system coming at you.

This is the beginning of the pigeon-guidance section of an article that also describes Project X-Ray, the attempt to turn bats into incendiary bombers (yep...I'm not joking. Check it out ).

http://www.historynet.com/top-secret-wwii-bat-and-bird-bomber-program.htm/4

Cheers, Neilster

< Message edited by Neilster -- 7/16/2008 2:31:50 PM >

(in reply to rjopel)
Post #: 85
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/15/2008 5:30:34 PM   
NeBert

quote:

I think the other pilot it was Barkhorn (Gerald?) and 301 sounds right.

Cheers, Neilster

Yes, Gerhard Barkhorn is right (301 victories)!
Most of the war he flew for the JG52 (52nd fighter reg.), late in the war he lead JG6 and finally joined the JV44 (Me262) together with other aces like Galland, Steinhoff, Lützow etc.

Adolf Galland scored 104 Victories, all of them over the western front which makes him to the most successful german pilot over the western front (note that Galland was "grounded" from late 1942 early 1945 when he joined the JV44).

NeBert

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 86
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/15/2008 5:38:00 PM   
NeBert

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes, for allied eyes "only" more than 100 victories is understatement at its best, but with his 104 victories he´s "only" no. 79 in the ranking of german WW2-pilots....

NeBert

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 87
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/15/2008 11:42:27 PM   
cockney

hears an interesting question for you.
Who was Robert Lovack, and what happened?

never piss off a sgt major

(in reply to NeBert)
Post #: 88
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/16/2008 8:41:53 AM   
Kaletsch2007

quote:

quote:

quote:

Of course. If you take the answer out of context, I would totaly agree. In fact the ONLY was meant in comparison with the 301.
And I am not offended in any way

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 89
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 7/16/2008 5:41:23 PM   
terje439

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes, for allied eyes "only" more than 100 victories is understatement at its best, but with his 104 victories he´s "only" no. 79 in the ranking of german WW2-pilots....

Yes, I am aware of Luftwaffe numbers, however no matter how you turn it around, 104 "kills" still is more than "only" to me hehe

(in reply to NeBert)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: OT - WWII quiz Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI