Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT: A sure sign of the end of times......

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: OT: A sure sign of the end of times...... Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT: A sure sign of the end of times...... - 7/15/2008 7:00:13 PM   
mikemike

BTW, this thread is not so terribly OT at all. One of InBev's best-known brands is Beck's, which has traditionally been the German sailor's beer (probably because it travelled well). They still have a strong nautical theme in their advertising (sponsoring a three-master tall ship with green sails, f.i.). German ships operating in the Indian Ocean/Pacific region in WWII would have had bottles of Beck's aboard for the delectation of the crew.

As to Belgian beer, they have developed weirdness to an art form there. If you want cherry- or chocolate-flavored beer, you'll find it in Belgium. And that probably isn't even the outer limit.
On the other hand, Belgian chocolates and Belgian fries are the world's best.

DON´T PANIC - IT´S ALL JUST ONES AND ZEROES!

(in reply to captskillet)
Post #: 31
RE: OT: A sure sign of the end of times...... - 7/15/2008 7:09:09 PM   
pasternakski

quote:

ORIGINAL: mikemike

As to Belgian beer, they have developed weirdness to an art form there.

I'm belchin' just thinkin' about it...

Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.

(in reply to mikemike)
Post #: 32
RE: OT: A sure sign of the end of times...... - 7/15/2008 7:39:25 PM   
Nikademus

there's always Old English 800.

(in reply to pasternakski)
Post #: 33
RE: OT: A sure sign of the end of times...... - 7/15/2008 8:25:47 PM   
bobogoboom

quote:

ORIGINAL: captskillet

Anhuser-Busch will no longer be American owned............... ..................Miller and Coors had already sold their souls to the Devil ! I guess its time to start drinking Samuel Adams, Shiner Bock or go south of the border and go with Tecate!!!!

The Link

SHINER BOCK SHINER BOCK SHINER BOCK. come to the dark side that is texas.

I feel like I'm Han Solo, and you're Chewie, and she's Ben Kenobi, and we're in that bar.
Member Texas Thread Mafia.

Sig art by rogueusmc

(in reply to captskillet)
Post #: 34
RE: OT: A sure sign of the end of times...... - 7/15/2008 8:34:07 PM   
bobogoboom

quote:

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Scholl

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Dudweiser isn't beer anyway, so it doesn't really count...

Keep in mind that Bud is brewed in the American Midwest for people who have to survive summers there. I enjoy ales and stouts as well (in the Winter).., but when the temperature is still 90 degrees at midnight, the heavier brews are like drinking molassas. Ice cold Lager is just what the Doctor ordered.

That's when you go for an India Pale Ale - those were developed by the Brits for the hotter climes...

there are some really good ipa's brewed by american brewers. i like avery's and breckenridge small batch 471. i live in texas and most of our micro brewers are german style beers(there is a large german community in south texas). it gets pretty hot down here and an amber or a bock still tastes damn good. stouts are a little much though in the heat..

I feel like I'm Han Solo, and you're Chewie, and she's Ben Kenobi, and we're in that bar.

Sig art by rogueusmc

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 35
RE: OT: A sure sign of the end of times...... - 7/15/2008 8:34:42 PM   
bobogoboom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sarganto

InBev has some good german beer brands like Becks and Franziskaner. So why not switch sides completely and go with these? ;)

cause becks sucks about as much as budweiser.

Sig art by rogueusmc

(in reply to Sarganto)
Post #: 36
RE: OT: A sure sign of the end of times...... - 7/15/2008 8:40:19 PM   
bobogoboom

quote:

ORIGINAL: pasternakski

quote:

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

Hey Past... it's not just mass produced american beer that I deplore. It's the mass produced stuff from all over (there was a particularly bad one in France - not Export 33, but it was in green bottles).

Believe me, I've drunk my share of american lagers (I've even drunk at least a couple of cases of Billy Beer!) - but since I decided to cut waaayyy back on drinking, I've decided that I'd rather drink the local stuff. Catch a little local flavor, so to speak...

i didn't take offense at your post, but did feel it best to explain better my recent foray into beer snobbery

Aaaahh, pal, the worst I ever ran across was some stuff called Buckhorn. A friend of mine and I "liberated" a few gallons of herbicide from a roadside ditch spraying crew one time, and "sold" it to a farmer for a couple of cases of beer to be left out back of the local tavern.

When we went to pick it up, it was "Buckhorn." You talk about green beer? This stuff was so raw, it probably still had live weevils from the hop field swimming around in it. Ugh.

Yeah, if you can cut back, you probably want to enjoy the good stuff. Me, I could never do it. It was either be an unconscionable sauce hitter or give it up completely, for me.

steel city or steel something from pittsburg was the worst followed closely by macensens XXX and the origional breckinridge ips(the 471 small batch they make now is my fav ipa but god was their origional recipie awful).

Sig art by rogueusmc

Post #: 37
RE: OT: A sure sign of the end of times...... - 7/15/2008 8:42:48 PM   
bobogoboom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nikademus

or mad dog or colt 45 or mickeys..........ahhh highschool and mickeys mondays.

Sig art by rogueusmc

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 38
RE: OT: A sure sign of the end of times...... - 7/15/2008 8:43:07 PM   
bobogoboom

i have a lot to say about beer

Sig art by rogueusmc

(in reply to bobogoboom)
Post #: 39
RE: OT: A sure sign of the end of times...... - 7/15/2008 8:48:03 PM   
Nixuebrig

quote:

ORIGINAL: mikemike

BTW, this thread is not so terribly OT at all. One of InBev's best-known brands is Beck's, which has traditionally been the German sailor's beer (probably because it travelled well). They still have a strong nautical theme in their advertising (sponsoring a three-master tall ship with green sails, f.i.). German ships operating in the Indian Ocean/Pacific region in WWII would have had bottles of Beck's aboard for the delectation of the crew.

And I wonder why we lost the war. Becks surely kills all fighting spirit. I mean Mint in beer? Guess was only for interrogation purposes "Tell us where you ships are, or you have to drink a Becks Ice&Mint. And if it`s a lie, you get two bottles of Becks Green Lemon" Oki, would be against the convention of Geneva

If you want good german beer, my advice would be "Flensburger Pilsner".

(in reply to mikemike)
Post #: 40
RE: OT: A sure sign of the end of times...... - 7/15/2008 8:58:00 PM   
pasternakski

quote:

ORIGINAL: bobogoboom
steel city or steel something from pittsburg was the worst followed closely by macensens XXX and the origional breckinridge ips(the 471 small batch they make now is my fav ipa but god was their origional recipie awful).

look, pal, yer talkin' to a hamsterhead who used to judge the quality of beer by how much it cost per can (or quart or 40-pounder, whatever was de rigeur for the day).

And I carry on anyhow.

(in reply to bobogoboom)
Post #: 41
RE: OT: A sure sign of the end of times...... - 7/15/2008 9:02:40 PM   
pasternakski

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nikademus

or mad dog or colt 45 or mickeys..........ahhh highschool and mickeys mondays.

Gotta love the Mickey's Big Mouth Stingers.

Vietnamese used to (maybe they still do) whip up some washtub swill we called "Colt 45" and sell it to us when we couldn't get the real stuff (which wasn't very often). "Colt 45 numbah 10" we used to tell 'em. "Budweiser numbah 1."

And I carry on anyhow.

(in reply to bobogoboom)
Post #: 42
RE: OT: A sure sign of the end of times...... - 7/15/2008 9:09:17 PM   
bobogoboom

we still drink mickeys from time to time when the mood hits.

Sig art by rogueusmc

Post #: 43
RE: OT: A sure sign of the end of times...... - 7/15/2008 9:32:16 PM   
thegreatwent

Bobo, I would think a Texas man like you would be a fan of Lone Star. 6th street in Austin didn't have tap water, just Lone Star.

(in reply to bobogoboom)
Post #: 44
RE: OT: A sure sign of the end of times...... - 7/15/2008 10:02:23 PM   
bobogoboom

quote:

ORIGINAL: thegreatwent

Bobo, I would think a Texas man like you would be a fan of Lone Star. 6th street in Austin didn't have tap water, just Lone Star.

yeah but i disowned lone star once they stopped brewing it in texas. my dad used to work at the perl brewery in san antonio where they brewed lone star and pearl. now it's brewed in new york or somewhere like that. now austin just replaced lone star with shiner bock.

Sig art by rogueusmc

(in reply to thegreatwent)
Post #: 45
RE: OT: A sure sign of the end of times...... - 7/15/2008 10:09:29 PM   
anarchyintheuk

Lone Star and Pearl are kinda repulsive. Shiner is pretty much your last hope in Texas.

(in reply to bobogoboom)
Post #: 46
RE: OT: A sure sign of the end of times...... - 7/15/2008 10:19:18 PM   
thegreatwent

Ach, Lone Star brewed in NY! That is soooo not right. Of course the last time I had one on 6th street Stevie Ray Vaughan was still doing shows there.

(in reply to anarchyintheuk)
Post #: 47
RE: OT: A sure sign of the end of times...... - 7/15/2008 10:53:49 PM   
Nixuebrig

Britains and americans talking about beer is like the chinese talking about democracy and human rights  

Post #: 48
RE: OT: A sure sign of the end of times...... - 7/15/2008 10:54:03 PM   
bobogoboom

it's owned by pabst and is brewed by miller at a couple of locations. wiki claims one of those is fort worth so maybee some of it is brewed in texas.

Sig art by rogueusmc

Post #: 49
RE: OT: A sure sign of the end of times...... - 7/15/2008 10:58:13 PM   
bobogoboom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Prince

Britains and americans talking about beer is like the chinese talking about democracy and human rights  

again the euros gave us the great beers such as hieniken and becks..............yall have your fair share of crappy beers too. and i will say come to texas and sit out in heat over 100 and try and drink a stout or a very dark and heavy beer. btw shiner celebrates 100 years of brewing next year. guess where i'm gonna be.

Sig art by rogueusmc

(in reply to Nixuebrig)
Post #: 50
RE: OT: A sure sign of the end of times...... - 7/15/2008 11:04:09 PM   
thegreatwent

quote:

Mea Culpa. Like the old Monty Python skit asks "How is American beer like making love in a canoe? They are both F*%&#*^@ close to water!"

BTW many American Macro brews were created by German immigrants.

(in reply to bobogoboom)
Post #: 51
RE: OT: A sure sign of the end of times...... - 7/15/2008 11:10:02 PM   
m10bob

True beer is made of of four ingredients.
1.Malt
2.Barley
3.Hops
4.Water

If your brew has anything else, it is no longer "beer".
Bud has rice and all kinds of cheap cereal grains.

Sorry, Michelob is worse.

Post #: 52
RE: OT: A sure sign of the end of times...... - 7/15/2008 11:16:37 PM   
Nixuebrig

quote:

ORIGINAL: thegreatwent

BTW many American Macro brews were created by German immigrants.

And now you know the reason why the were expulsed No,honestly, I believe that the beer culture in the USA is the same as in germany, when it comes down to the small breweries. And after all, it is all a question about personal taste.

@bobogoboom Of course we have, Becks e.g. or some very cheap beers like Sternburger (20 Bottle of half a liter for 5 €= 3 Dollars about), a headache is programmed for the next day, even if you drink only one of it.
Guess I have no problems drinking stout or a very dark and heavy beer at over 100 degrees (have to calculate what it is in Celsius, but sounds a bit warmer than 30 degrees Cel.) I have a problem drinking those beers at all, I come from northern germany (Anglia the region is called, or Angeln in german) and we do only drink Pilsner. Ok, we drink high percentage clear stuff too, but only at breakfast ;) So you can hunt me down with all these southern german beers. The only other good beers come from Budweiser or Pilsner, the Czechs know how to brew beer too .

Btw, wasn`t the Quote : What have sex on the beach and american beer have in common?

< Message edited by Prince -- 7/15/2008 11:17:25 PM >

Post #: 53
RE: OT: A sure sign of the end of times...... - 7/15/2008 11:19:15 PM   
pasternakski

quote:

here we go...

And I carry on anyhow.

(in reply to Nixuebrig)
Post #: 54
RE: OT: A sure sign of the end of times...... - 7/15/2008 11:24:39 PM   
Nixuebrig

quote:

ORIGINAL: pasternakski

here we go...

Oh no,the smiley indicates, how it was meant, or not?

And oh tempora oh mores, when we germans can`t be arrogant anymore, when the talk comes about beer

Post #: 55
RE: OT: A sure sign of the end of times...... - 7/15/2008 11:29:46 PM   
bobogoboom

what is the north german beer of choice?
we drink our fair share of whiskey down here and tequila. we leave all the other clear stuff to the yuppies(we have another term for them but its not forum friendly). 

Sig art by rogueusmc

(in reply to Nixuebrig)
Post #: 56
RE: OT: A sure sign of the end of times...... - 7/15/2008 11:33:29 PM   
Yava

quote:

So true... sorry guys... but I remember being once with my Dad on a ship (he's an 2nd engineer) and when in Duluth some dock workers came and wanted to exhxnage 3 crates of some sort of American beer for a one crate of Polish one and well it did not work out German beer, Polish beer, Czech beer, Netherland's beer, Finnish beer whatsoever we say NO!

Art by Dixie.

(in reply to Nixuebrig)
Post #: 57
RE: OT: A sure sign of the end of times...... - 7/15/2008 11:34:11 PM   
Yava

quote:

we drink our fair share of whiskey down here and tequila. we leave all the other clear stuff to the yuppies(we have another term for them but its not forum friendly). 

Whisky, Tequila! Uno accidente!

Art by Dixie.

(in reply to bobogoboom)
Post #: 58
RE: OT: A sure sign of the end of times...... - 7/15/2008 11:36:30 PM   
thegreatwent

Most of the German beers I enjoyed were from the south while I was in Bavaria. When I went somewhat north to Koln I found mostly wines and ciders. Someday I hope to get to Hamburg and enjoy some of the seafood and wines served there. Additionally I would like to visit the maritime museum there.

(in reply to Nixuebrig)
Post #: 59
RE: OT: A sure sign of the end of times...... - 7/15/2008 11:42:43 PM   
Nixuebrig

quote:

As said above , for me it is Flensburger, but there are others, mostly known is Holsten, but you also have Astra (not good) and Ditmarscher and many small brews. Of note is the brew made in Schleswig (near the old viking settlement Haithabu) called Asgaard (They say they are brewing it following the old viking art). It tastes sweet and the typical northern german beers taste herb. Best is alway, to visit a local pub with a brewerie, amybe more expensive, but it is worth it.

(in reply to bobogoboom)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: OT: A sure sign of the end of times...... Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI