Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT: A sure sign of the end of times......

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: OT: A sure sign of the end of times...... Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT: A sure sign of the end of times...... - 7/15/2008 11:44:53 PM   
Yava

quote:

ORIGINAL: Prince

quote:

ORIGINAL: bobogoboom

what is the north german beer of choice?

As said above , for me it is Flensburger, but there are others, mostly known is Holsten, but you also have Astra (not good) and Ditmarscher and many small brews. Of note is the brew made in Schleswig (near the old viking settlement Haithabu) called Asgaard (They say they are brewing it following the old viking art). It tastes sweet and the typical northern german beers taste herb. Best is alway, to visit a local pub with a brewerie, amybe more expensive, but it is worth it.

Asgaard is neat. I did enjoy the few bottles I got from my ex and yes Astra is not good

Art by Dixie.

(in reply to Nixuebrig)
Post #: 61
RE: OT: A sure sign of the end of times...... - 7/15/2008 11:47:47 PM   
Nixuebrig

quote:

ORIGINAL: thegreatwent

Most of the German beers I enjoyed were from the south while I was in Bavaria. When I went somewhat north to Koln I found mostly wines and ciders.

Oh, Rheinland (Cologne) and beer, that doesn`t fit..
And northern germany, I meant north, north of Hamburg. Hamburg is the boarder to bavaria from our point of view.

(in reply to thegreatwent)
Post #: 62
RE: OT: A sure sign of the end of times...... - 7/15/2008 11:51:01 PM   
bobogoboom

quote:

quote:

As said above , for me it is Flensburger, but there are others, mostly known is Holsten, but you also have Astra (not good) and Ditmarscher and many small brews. Of note is the brew made in Schleswig (near the old viking settlement Haithabu) called Asgaard (They say they are brewing it following the old viking art). It tastes sweet and the typical northern german beers taste herb. Best is alway, to visit a local pub with a brewerie, amybe more expensive, but it is worth it.

same here go to a local brewery and you get a million times better beer. the big breweres miller coors bud and pabst all brew crap.

I feel like I'm Han Solo, and you're Chewie, and she's Ben Kenobi, and we're in that bar.
Member Texas Thread Mafia.

Sig art by rogueusmc

(in reply to Nixuebrig)
Post #: 63
RE: OT: A sure sign of the end of times...... - 7/15/2008 11:53:22 PM   
Yava

quote:

quote:

quote:

same here go to a local brewery and you get a million times better beer. the big breweres miller coors bud and pabst all brew crap.

I do understand that this is a challenge

Art by Dixie.

(in reply to bobogoboom)
Post #: 64
RE: OT: A sure sign of the end of times...... - 7/15/2008 11:59:27 PM   
Nixuebrig

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yava

The exchange rate would be good for a tour, but getting overseas is a problem, I don`t fly and nobody gets me conscious into a plane

(in reply to Yava)
Post #: 65
RE: OT: A sure sign of the end of times...... - 7/16/2008 12:00:45 AM   
bobogoboom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

???? we have 4 real micro breweries in texas and one regional. though i still claim i brew the best amber in texas
my fav is saint arnolds.
http://www.saintarnold.com/
followed by real ale
http://realalebrewing.com/
and then texas beloved regional brewer shiner
http://www.shiner.com/

bobo waits patiently for everyone to make fun of him

I feel like I'm Han Solo, and you're Chewie, and she's Ben Kenobi, and we're in that bar.

Sig art by rogueusmc

(in reply to Yava)
Post #: 66
RE: OT: A sure sign of the end of times...... - 7/16/2008 12:01:37 AM   
bobogoboom

quote:

quote:

The exchange rate would be good for a tour, but getting overseas is a problem, I don`t fly and nobody gets me conscious into a plane

thats what airport bars are for.

Sig art by rogueusmc

(in reply to Nixuebrig)
Post #: 67
RE: OT: A sure sign of the end of times...... - 7/16/2008 12:04:15 AM   
Nixuebrig

quote:

Ever tried getting drunk into a plane, wearing the shirt of your favorite football team?

(in reply to bobogoboom)
Post #: 68
RE: OT: A sure sign of the end of times...... - 7/16/2008 12:11:42 AM   
bobogoboom

quote:

quote:

Ever tried getting drunk into a plane, wearing the shirt of your favorite football team?

nope but have done it with a baseball and basketball jersey. once it worked really well the other time i missed my plane and got a ticket.

Sig art by rogueusmc

(in reply to Nixuebrig)
Post #: 69
RE: OT: A sure sign of the end of times...... - 7/16/2008 12:20:27 AM   
Nixuebrig

quote:

nope but have done it with a baseball and basketball jersey. once it worked really well the other time i missed my plane and got a ticket.

Öhm, you don`t know what is going on with football fans in europe? Wearing a jersey , you are a criminal, even at the stadium they strip you down to your socks. And if you are drunk too, well .......

(in reply to bobogoboom)
Post #: 70
RE: OT: A sure sign of the end of times...... - 7/16/2008 12:25:04 AM   
AW1Steve

quote:

Britains and americans talking about beer is like the chinese talking about democracy and human rights  

American beer is German styled , and was brewed by German immigrants. Are you trying to say that Germans know nothing about beer-making? (Old American saying--"people who live in glass house should not throw stones".).

(in reply to Nixuebrig)
Post #: 71
RE: OT: A sure sign of the end of times...... - 7/16/2008 12:35:08 AM   
AW1Steve

quote:

quote:

Öhm, you don`t know what is going on with football fans in europe? Wearing a jersey , you are a criminal, even at the stadium they strip you down to your socks. And if you are drunk too, well .......

I know that I nearly was strangled at the Train station pub in Edinburg . The landlord grabbed the scarf I was wearing (It was December) and gave me @#@#$ about "No football scarfs!". He then learned some extra salty American sailor talk. He said" this scarf has Manchester United colors. I replied so--it's also Bodwion colledge --What's that go to do with @@##$$%^&&! ". Then after several minutes of this he said..."Oh , your'e a Yank!" I think I repiled something like "what gave it away genius? ". Needless to say , I never did get my beer , and I've always avoided the pub at Waverly Station.

And Europeans think we take small stuff to seriously!

(in reply to Nixuebrig)
Post #: 72
RE: OT: A sure sign of the end of times...... - 7/16/2008 12:40:43 AM   
Sarganto

Contrary to Prince, I would say you get the best beers in germany in Bavaria (Pschorr, Paulaner, Augustiner) and some very good local beers around Stuttgart (Rothaus, Schwabenbräu, Gruibinger Brunnenbier).

After all, it's a matter of taste. I can also enjoy a good irish stout or ale, but that's more for special occasions.

empty signature fanboy

(in reply to Nixuebrig)
Post #: 73
RE: OT: A sure sign of the end of times...... - 7/16/2008 12:41:19 AM   
Nixuebrig

quote:

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

And Europeans think we take small stuff to seriously!

Football=small stuff? You gotta learn alot

In some places it is better not to wear scarfs in a certain color. Never travel to hamburg wearing green and white, never travel to Dorfmund wearing blue and white and never travel to Edinburgh wearing a red scarf when you are ending in a Hibs Tavern :D

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 74
RE: OT: A sure sign of the end of times...... - 7/16/2008 12:44:13 AM   
Gem35

never jump in a pile of leaves with a wet sucker.

It doesn't make any sense, Admiral. Were we better than the Japanese or just luckier?

Banner By Feurer Krieg

(in reply to Nixuebrig)
Post #: 75
RE: OT: A sure sign of the end of times...... - 7/16/2008 1:29:15 AM   
bobogoboom

don't wear burnt orange or crimson in dallas during the first weekend of october...............in fact just avoid dallas entirely during that weekend all the people that live here do.

Sig art by rogueusmc

(in reply to Gem35)
Post #: 76
RE: OT: A sure sign of the end of times...... - 7/16/2008 4:54:08 AM   
thegreatwent

Well Prince being from Lubeck it is hard to challenge your northern standing but my friends in Hamburg are pretty insistent that they are not on the Bavarian border. Besides what do Bavarians know about seafood? Someday I will enjoy some Loubscousce(spelling?) or herring in Hamburg. American tourists rarely visit so I hope to avoid the many Octoberfest people intent only on passing out.

(in reply to bobogoboom)
Post #: 77
RE: OT: A sure sign of the end of times...... - 7/16/2008 7:28:18 AM   
histgamer

My fav Beers

1. New Glarus:  (Spotted Cow is a Pale Ale brewed by New Glarus… 10th largest brewery in the USA but only sells in Wisconsin because they cant even produce enough beer to meet demand there)
2. Heineken
3. Warsteiner (a solid import from Germany)
4. Miller (really only Miller Highlife in bottles, don’t like it in cans don’t like much else by Miller)

Really don’t like Bud not cause I live 10 miles from Miller just don’t like the taste.

(in reply to Przemcio231)
Post #: 78
RE: OT: A sure sign of the end of times...... - 7/16/2008 6:58:17 PM   
mikemike

quote:

And I wonder why we lost the war. Becks surely kills all fighting spirit. I mean Mint in beer? Guess was only for interrogation purposes "Tell us where you ships are, or you have to drink a Becks Ice&Mint. And if it`s a lie, you get two bottles of Becks Green Lemon" Oki, would be against the convention of Geneva

I'd assume that the stuff they brewed up to the 'sixties was different to what they produce now, else it wouldn't have been so popular among the target group.

quote:

When I went somewhat north to Koln I found mostly wines and ciders.

Wines and ciders sounds more like Hesse or Swabia, which is quite a bit south of Köln (Cologne).

quote:

Oh, Rheinland (Cologne) and beer, that doesn`t fit..

Cologne is a special case. Not for nothing is the city called "the northernmost Italian city" (and that was even before the Italians came there in masses to work in the Ford factory). There is a typical Cologne beer called "Kölsch", it is brewed in numerous breweries of all sizes, served in glasses like slightly oversized test tubes, and said to be the only beer in the world that doesn't change color, temperature, or taste on passing through the human digestive system.

But if you go slightly north and east to the Ruhr area, or into the hills of the Sauerland to the east, you'll find quite decent beers.

quote:

American beer is German styled , and was brewed by German immigrants. Are you trying to say that Germans know nothing about beer-making? (Old American saying--"people who live in glass house should not throw stones".).

I'm certain that the people who founded the breweries knew how to brew decent beer, but the accountants (and therefore the shareholders) probably told them off. Welcome to Corporate America. Cut the quality (and costs) to the absolute minimum, put all the effort into advertising, go for volume and get rich: SOP for consumer products. This isn't a recent development; Mark Twain already had poisonous remarks to make about this practice.

DON´T PANIC - IT´S ALL JUST ONES AND ZEROES!

(in reply to Nixuebrig)
Post #: 79
RE: OT: A sure sign of the end of times...... - 7/17/2008 9:30:54 AM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

For our USA friends just one small info note - the one and only true Budweisser is from Czech Republic - a place called Budejovice/Budweis (so Budweiser)...

USA Bud and Czech Budweiser on a beer shelf:

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

(in reply to mikemike)
Post #: 80
RE: OT: A sure sign of the end of times...... - 7/17/2008 2:20:52 PM   
Mynok

quote:

"Kölsch"...the only beer in the world that doesn't change color, temperature, or taste on passing through the human digestive system.

I do drink Coronas with a lime in the summers.

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 81
RE: OT: A sure sign of the end of times...... - 7/17/2008 4:43:16 PM   
pasternakski

quote:

ORIGINAL: mikemike
I'm certain that the people who founded the breweries knew how to brew decent beer,

Attachment (1)

Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.

(in reply to mikemike)
Post #: 82
RE: OT: A sure sign of the end of times...... - 7/17/2008 6:01:22 PM   
bobogoboom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Apollo11

Hi all,

For our USA friends just one small info note - the one and only true Budweisser is from Czech Republic - a place called Budejovice/Budweis (so Budweiser)...

USA Bud and Czech Budweiser on a beer shelf:

Leo "Apollo11"

do they sell the lite beers in europe? like bud light miller light and coors light?

Sig art by rogueusmc

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 83
RE: OT: A sure sign of the end of times...... - 7/17/2008 7:05:57 PM   
Mynok

In Germany they are apparently called "Kölsch". 

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown

(in reply to bobogoboom)
Post #: 84
RE: OT: A sure sign of the end of times...... - 7/17/2008 7:20:51 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: JWE

quote:

ORIGINAL: captskillet
.... go south of the border and go with Tecate!!!!

Well, at least Tecate, or Corona or Pacifico tastes like something; window cleaner, donkey urine, transmission fluid, but at least something. Modello Negro ain’t bad if you’re in Mexico and only have a dollar.

The first three are ersatz.....Negro Modelo is not bad. Dos Equis amber is not bad either.

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 85
RE: OT: A sure sign of the end of times...... - 7/17/2008 7:29:58 PM   
morganbj

Back to the original title of this thread ....

A comet will strike the world the day after AE is released.  Just goes to show you that the gods have a sense of humor.

So, AE is THE sure sign of the end of times.

I'll pick it up anyway.  At least I'll have a little time with it.  I can't spend All of my last hours with my wife, kids, and grandkids, can I?  I do have my priorities.  Maybe have a couple of beers, too.

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 86
RE: OT: A sure sign of the end of times...... - 7/17/2008 8:25:21 PM   
HansBolter

Icehouse for the win.

Smooth, light, doesn't choke you on the way down like so many of those wretched "stout" Euro beers, and almost twice the kick of most others.....5.5% compared to the standard 3.5%.

and to all you guys with yer haughty "this is the original"....everything in the Old World is the original....that's the whole point of this being the NEW World!

That's why we have NEW York, NEW England....etc. Get the concept?

< Message edited by HansBolter -- 7/17/2008 8:29:05 PM >

(in reply to morganbj)
Post #: 87
RE: OT: A sure sign of the end of times...... - 7/17/2008 9:53:42 PM   
pasternakski

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter
and to all you guys with yer haughty "this is the original"....everything in the Old World is the original....that's the whole point of this being the NEW World!

Some do, some don't...

Attachment (1)

Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 88
RE: OT: A sure sign of the end of times...... - 7/17/2008 11:08:22 PM   
bobogoboom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mynok

In Germany they are apparently called "Kölsch". 

i've had Kölsch it's a compeltely diff type of beer. shiner makes one.

Sig art by rogueusmc

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 89
RE: OT: A sure sign of the end of times...... - 7/17/2008 11:13:54 PM   
bobogoboom

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

Icehouse for the win.

Smooth, light, doesn't choke you on the way down like so many of those wretched "stout" Euro beers, and almost twice the kick of most others.....5.5% compared to the standard 3.5%.

yeah but there is old s*** and new s*** but in the end s*** is still s*** no matter how old or new it is. Example. becks bud ice schlitz mackenson XXX heiniken natty light. no matter how old or new those beers(and i hate to use that word to describe them) are they are still s***

Sig art by rogueusmc

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: OT: A sure sign of the end of times...... Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI