Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

For the Mods - a wish

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> For the Mods - a wish Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
For the Mods - a wish - 7/17/2008 10:50:18 PM   
vettim89

To the moderators,

If ever there comes a time to update the forums software a very nice and perhaps needed enhancement would be to give the owner of an AAR the ability to delete posts from his AAR. Some times AAR's get hijacked and if the owner of the AAR felt it was too far off topic and did not contribute to the narrative being told, it would be nice to have the ability to delete it. Many contributions from other posters provide valuable insight as to what is going on and have great relavance to the campaign and how its unfolding. Unfortunately I have also seen threads that have digressed into non-game related subjects, debates on important subjects that just don't beling in an AAR, and sometimes personal feuds.

It would be nice as the owner to be able to clean up our AAR's if we so desired. For the record, I have not had this happen in my own AAR but have seen it in others that I follow closely

< Message edited by vettim89 -- 7/17/2008 10:52:28 PM >

"We have met the enemy and they are ours" - Commodore O.H. Perry
Post #: 1
RE: For the Mods - a wish - 7/17/2008 10:59:43 PM   
whippleofd

quote:

ORIGINAL: vettim89

To the moderators,

If ever there comes a time to update the forums software a very nice and perhaps needed enhancement would be to give the owner of an AAR the ability to delete posts from his AAR. Some times AAR's get hijacked and if the owner of the AAR felt it was too far off topic and did not contribute to the narrative being told, it would be nice to have the ability to delete it. Many contributions from other posters provide valuable insight as to what is going on and have great relavance to the campaign and how its unfolding. Unfortunately I have also seen threads that have digressed into non-game related subjects, debates on important subjects that just don't beling in an AAR, and sometimes personal feuds.

It would be nice as the owner to be able to clean up our AAR's if we so desired. For the record, I have not had this happen in my own AAR but have seen it in others that I follow closely

Second!

Whipple

MMCS(SW/AW) 1981-2001
1981 RTC, SD
81-82 NPS, Orlando
82-85 NPTU, Idaho Falls
85-90 USS Truxtun (CGN-35)
90-93 USS George Washington (CVN-73)
93-96 NFAS Orlando
96-01 Navsea-08/Naval Reactors

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 2
RE: For the Mods - a wish - 7/17/2008 11:18:07 PM   
Nemo121

I think that smacks too much of censorship. I wouldn't agree with everything that is posted to various AARs BUT I think that increasing the ability to censor others' thoughts is too high a price to pay to stop such off-topic posts.... particularly as people's ideas of what is and isn't on-topic do vary.

I know the specific exampe you are talking about but I still think the general point over-rides that specific instance. Freedom of speech is too important to chip away at it like this IMO.

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 3
RE: For the Mods - a wish - 7/17/2008 11:46:21 PM   
Nixuebrig

I guess to highjack a thread, two persons are needed. Just ignore the posts that don`t fit or give a polite hint that it is not on the topic.

If nobody jumps on it, it will be short lived (the highjacking).

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 4
RE: For the Mods - a wish - 7/17/2008 11:46:30 PM   
VSWG

I agree with Nemo. First step should be that the AAR writer asks all participants to stop their discussions. If that doesn't work (I bet in most cases it will) he can still contact a mod and ask him to censor or delete the posts.

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 5
RE: For the Mods - a wish - 7/18/2008 3:54:59 AM   
vettim89

My thinking is we have some AAR's that are 30,40,50 even 100 plus pages. Even if you allowed an author to go back say after 10 days and tidy up, it would make it easier for those readers looking at the AAR for the first time to follow the flow better

"We have met the enemy and they are ours" - Commodore O.H. Perry

(in reply to VSWG)
Post #: 6
RE: For the Mods - a wish - 7/18/2008 5:22:19 AM   
jwilkerson

quote:

To the moderators,

I have intervened in AARs greater than zero times, upon request. But I will say that it causes about as many problems as it solves. Deletion tends to increase the perpetrators resolve to disrupt the AAR, non-deletion tends to accelerate the resignation of the owner to quit the game, or at least to abandon the AAR.

In my experience, the situations requiring moderator intervention are rare. And rare enough that they need to be handled as exceptions rather than as rules.

If any AAR owner feels that there is objectionable intrusion in his AAR - let me know and I will suppport. I do defintely agree with the concept that an AAE belongs to the owner of that AAR - and persons who persistantly disrupt an AAR are defintely not welcome.

Joe

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 7
RE: For the Mods - a wish - 7/18/2008 6:55:54 PM   
Bogo Mil

If you delete posts, but not all replies to them, it becomes even more confusing to the reader. I agree that deleting posts is usually not a good idea.

Maybe you could give the "owner" of the AAR an option to ban certain users from posting any replies. But this would certainly be quite complicated to implement. I don't think the strain is large enough to justify the effort.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. (Benjamin Franklin)

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 8
RE: For the Mods - a wish - 7/18/2008 7:27:04 PM   
whippleofd

quote:

ORIGINAL: jwilkerson

quote:

To the moderators,

I have intervened in AARs greater than zero times, upon request. But I will say that it causes about as many problems as it solves. Deletion tends to increase the perpetrators resolve to disrupt the AAR, non-deletion tends to accelerate the resignation of the owner to quit the game, or at least to abandon the AAR.

In my experience, the situations requiring moderator intervention are rare. And rare enough that they need to be handled as exceptions rather than as rules.

If any AAR owner feels that there is objectionable intrusion in his AAR - let me know and I will suppport. I do defintely agree with the concept that an AAE belongs to the owner of that AAR - and persons who persistantly disrupt an AAR are defintely not welcome.

Joe

Can't ask for better support than that!

Whipple

MMCS(SW/AW) 1981-2001
1981 RTC, SD
81-82 NPS, Orlando
82-85 NPTU, Idaho Falls
85-90 USS Truxtun (CGN-35)
90-93 USS George Washington (CVN-73)
93-96 NFAS Orlando
96-01 Navsea-08/Naval Reactors

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> For the Mods - a wish Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI