Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Memo

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: Memo Page: <<   < prev  41 42 [43] 44 45   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Memo - 7/2/2008 4:16:06 PM   
composer99

The screenshots themselves look pretty good; but the CVs look like their classes are two sizes too big across the board.

~ Composer99

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 1261
RE: Memo - 7/2/2008 4:58:43 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: composer99

The screenshots themselves look pretty good; but the CVs look like their classes are two sizes too big across the board.

A keen eye, but the carriers are correct.

The turn is May/Jun 1944 and the optional rule for carrier planes is not being used. That means the carriers have had their class numbers increased twice to reflect their improved capabilities over time.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 1262
RE: Memo - 7/2/2008 6:24:14 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

For information about the weather, I have combined two CWIF forms into one. It just makes more sense to me to always see these together.

Here is the first impulse of the Day of Infamy scenario.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 1263
RE: Memo - 7/2/2008 6:26:03 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

Second and last in series.

And here is the first impulse of the Lebensraum scenario.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 1264
RE: Memo - 7/2/2008 8:35:52 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

I have finally gotten back to the form that displays the sequence of play and where the game/player currently is in the sequence of play. It will probably take me the rest of the day to get this form to display correctly for all the different air missions and combat subphases. But I thought I would let you see where I am so far.

The left column of the Sequence of Play form is always the same.

The position of the second column's top will vary. Here it is all the way to the top because the Stage/First Column is New Game.

The flag indicates that Lend Lease is being done by Nationalist China. All 5 of the Allied major powers decide, then the Axis major powers will get their turn to do lend lease.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 1265
RE: Memo - 7/2/2008 8:37:33 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

Second in serie. Here all players have completed Lend Lease and the Nationalist Chinese are deciding about scrapping units.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 1266
RE: Memo - 7/2/2008 8:40:01 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

3rd and last in series. Here the Nationalist Chinese have finished scrap and setup and the Commnist Chinese have finished scrap. The CC are in the process of setting up their units - note the different flag.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 1267
RE: Memo - 7/2/2008 8:51:25 PM   
meisterchow

Very nice.  I think you're doing a phenomenal job of presenting all the information in a coherent way.  How useable it is in an actual game will have to wait until I get my grubby little hands on it. :)

'Fear God and dread nought'
Coat of Arms Motto of Baron Fisher, of Kilverstone

Post #: 1268
RE: Memo - 7/2/2008 9:57:27 PM   
Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

Rob has created new borders for the forms so there are no longer any transparent portions. This lets the player nest the forms tightly together.

Here is a screen shot showing a bunch of forms visible at the same time.

My cartesian mind likes these ones much than the older ones.

Post #: 1269
RE: Memo - 7/2/2008 10:01:43 PM   
Froonp

quote:

For information about the weather, I have combined two CWIF forms into one. It just makes more sense to me to always see these together.

Here is the first impulse of the Day of Infamy scenario.

Very good change you did here.

Post #: 1270
RE: Memo - 7/2/2008 10:07:49 PM   
Froonp

quote:

I have finally gotten back to the form that displays the sequence of play and where the game/player currently is in the sequence of play. It will probably take me the rest of the day to get this form to display correctly for all the different air missions and combat subphases. But I thought I would let you see where I am so far.

The position of the second column's top will vary. Here it is all the way to the top because the Stage/First Column is New Game.

The flag indicates that Lend Lease is being done by Nationalist China. All 5 of the Allied major powers decide, then the Axis major powers will get their turn to do lend lease.

Good job again !!! Wow, this day is a good day !
As an improvement, why not have the box with the current step of phase highlighted with another color, or with bold text ? The flag of the country would simply be at the bottom next to the help button.

Post #: 1271
RE: Memo - 7/2/2008 10:48:17 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Froonp

quote:

Good job again !!! Wow, this day is a good day !
As an improvement, why not have the box with the current step of phase highlighted with another color, or with bold text ? The flag of the country would simply be at the bottom next to the help button.

I'll wait until after I have posted some examples from later in the sequence of play. I think you will find the highlighting unnecessary.

And, ...

Changing the colors for the 'selected' phase/subphase gets a little complicated since I am using the theme colors. I have never worked out a reverse font & background color set for each major power. And I think simply switching the two colors is likely to over-emphasize things, or make them difficult to read (e.g., USA green font on a white background, German gray font on a black background).

Steve

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 1272
RE: Memo - 7/3/2008 12:07:48 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

Here is an example of the sequence of play form when Germany is performing a port attack.

I think it is pretty clear that this is Germany's Perform Mission subphase of the Port Attacks phase in the Naval Stage of the impulse. The last piece of information is because Naval is in between New Impulse and Impulse End.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 1273
RE: Memo - 7/3/2008 5:21:57 AM   
christo

How are night fighters being displayed?
I note on post 1260 (UK) that the BP Defiant (and ? Mosquito XIX) appear the same as regular fighters.

Christo

Post #: 1274
RE: Memo - 7/3/2008 6:11:01 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: christo

How are night fighters being displayed?
I note on post 1260 (UK) that the BP Defiant (and ? Mosquito XIX) appear the same as regular fighters.

Christo

It depends on whether that optional rule was selected. If it isn't, then they are shown are'normal' fighters. If the optional rule is on, then they appear as they do in the printed counters. This also applies to Twin engine fighters and the combination of the two optional rules: both off, one on, both on, - which can produce 4 different images on the screen for a single Twin engine night fighter.

Steve

(in reply to christo)
Post #: 1275
RE: Memo - 7/3/2008 10:19:14 AM   
christo

thanks

Post #: 1276
RE: Memo - 7/15/2008 8:25:38 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

There was a request to see a comparison of the 8 levels of zoom. I tried to do that all on one page but it exceeded the limit on picture size in this forum. So I broke it into 2 parts. Here are zoom levels 8, 7, and 6.

Attachment (1)

Steve

(in reply to christo)
Post #: 1277
RE: Memo - 7/15/2008 8:31:52 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

Here are zoom levels 5, 4, and 3. For these I used the high resolution images for the units.

My choice of screen size was 1/4 of a 1078 by 768 screen. What that means is that using the minimum size monitor for MWIF (1024 by 768):
- at zoom level 8, you can see as much of the map as is shown here at zoom level 4.
-at zoom level 6 you can see as much of the map as is shown here at zoom level 3.
- at zoom level 4, you can see as much of the map as is shown here at zoom level 2 (next post).

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 1278
RE: Memo - 7/15/2008 8:38:59 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

3rd and last in the series. Here are zoom levels 1, 2, and 3.

All of these use medium resolution for unit depictions. If you compare the Zoom 3 here to the zoom 3 immediately above, you can see the change from high resolution unit graphics to medium. Once you become familiar with the symbology, zoom 3 should be a quite viable level for game play, using the medium resolution graphics.

Note that at zoom 4 all the information on the counters and map are quite legible and the portion of the map you will have visible is comparable to the screen shot shown here at zoom 2: about half of England, France, and Germany.

Oh, and if your eyes are good enough to see the units at zoom level 2, then the portion of the map you can review is comparable to what is shown here at zoom level 1: all of the United Kingdom, France, and Germany.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 1279
RE: Memo - 7/16/2008 4:09:00 AM   
Neilster

Jeez the black railways look good. Why...they even look like railways and not something one would pick up from eating improperly cooked pork

Cheers, Neilster

Post #: 1280
RE: Memo - 7/16/2008 5:02:29 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Neilster

Jeez the black railways look good. Why...they even look like railways and not something one would pick up from eating improperly cooked pork

Cheers, Neilster

That's zoom levels 1 and 2 for you. Many things look unappetizing under a microscope.

Steve

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 1281
RE: Memo - 7/16/2008 5:16:06 AM   
Neilster

The only objections I've had are...

1. The start-game screen
2. The tape-worm railways
3. The crashed space-invader fort symbol

One down...two to go

Cheers, Neilster

Post #: 1282
RE: Memo - 7/16/2008 5:51:06 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Neilster

The only objections I've had are...

1. The start-game screen
2. The tape-worm railways
3. The crashed space-invader fort symbol

One down...two to go

Cheers, Neilster

How do you do on those Rorschach tests? Disease and death in every picture?

Steve

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 1283
RE: Memo - 7/16/2008 12:51:26 PM   
Sewerlobster

quote:

3rd and last in the series. Here are zoom levels 1, 2, and 3.
All of these use medium resolution for unit depictions. If you compare the Zoom 3 here to the zoom 3 immediately above, you can see the change from high resolution unit graphics to medium. Once you become familiar with the symbology, zoom 3 should be a quite viable level for game play, using the medium resolution graphics.

As a long time WiF player, the symbology is just "classic" WiF. I really like these far away zooms; but I've got to admit, the high res zoom 8 is a thing of beauty. Thanks for the posts.

Post #: 1284
RE: Memo - 7/21/2008 4:36:48 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

I still have a lot of work to do to make this form fully functional; the list is too long to show here. Sigh.

But I have made some progress in getting the layout and visual elements mostly the way I want them.

The purpose of the form is to review the resources and factories that you (or any other player) have available. Here it is for the US. By clicking on a flag on the left you can see the same for the other major powers. At the bottom left is an icon I am using for when you want to see the resources that no major power currently controls. Immediately prior to the production phase, you can use this form to decide about where to send resources and build points, or save them if you want to.

At the top is detailed information about resources, factories, and build points. Oil resoures are shown separately from other resources. If you choose certain optional rules you can save oil and build points, which is the column on the right. The US flag in the middle of the form indicates the information/data is for the US.

Each hex that contains resources or factories is listed in the center. You can assign destinations for resources here. Besides sending resources to your factories for production, you can send them to other major powers as part of trade agreements.

As I said, I have a lot more work to do on this form, so more explanation isn't appropriate since I expect to change a number of items. And there are dozen or so bugs quite visible if you look closely.

But the picture is pretty!

Attachment (1)

Steve

(in reply to Sewerlobster)
Post #: 1285
RE: Memo - 7/21/2008 11:13:13 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

Here is a partially cleaned up version taken from Missed the Bus. The CW haven't set up all their convoys yet, which is why so many of their factories are still not producing.

Visible fixes since the previous post are the correct Theme Engine scroll bars, the correct numbers (many on the previous screen shot were shown as zero which were wrong), the insert map centering on the selected location, and the wider column width for Location to hold the long name for Palembang.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 1286
RE: Memo - 7/21/2008 12:32:18 PM   
Plainian

Edited
Edited again.......can I just add that Steves form is fine as it is.......

< Message edited by Plain Ian -- 7/21/2008 12:48:37 PM >

Post #: 1287
RE: Memo - 7/21/2008 12:41:59 PM   
Plainian

Try again. This might be a bit pointless as it looks like there might be restrictions on number of rows/line and column lengths that appear in the top half of the form...but as a spreadsheet geek and WIF dabbler here are 3 other layouts -

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Plainian)
Post #: 1288
RE: Memo - 7/21/2008 12:43:04 PM   
Plainian

Layout 2

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Plainian)
Post #: 1289
RE: Memo - 7/21/2008 12:46:18 PM   
Plainian

Layout 3

I modified the 'totals' to maintain 3 column.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Plainian)
Post #: 1290
Page:   <<   < prev  41 42 [43] 44 45   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: Memo Page: <<   < prev  41 42 [43] 44 45   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI