Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

To op-fire or not to?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> To op-fire or not to? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
To op-fire or not to? - 10/4/2000 8:44:00 PM   
Wolverine

I'd really like to have this feature: When you have chance to use op-fire, you would see if you are seen before you shoot. It's annoying when you try to hide and then comes the enemy and you can use op-fire, but you don't know if enemy sees you or not. So, you think it doesn't see you and you don't use op-fire. You were wrong and the enemy shoots you dead. Let me give an example: I was trying to go through little forest hidden and then came an enemy panther to top of the hill before me. I had chance to op-fire, but I thought it doesn't see me, so I didn't shoot. I was wrong and panther shot my tank, destroying it. I hope you got it. Sorry my bad English.

Post #: 1
- 10/4/2000 8:53:00 PM   
Larry Holt

Well in real life it would be nice to know if you are spotted also but you don't. This is just some of the uncertainty of real combat that the game accurately models. ------------------ An old soldier but not yet a faded one. OK, maybe just a bit faded.

Never take counsel of your fears.

(in reply to Wolverine)
Post #: 2
- 10/4/2000 9:00:00 PM   
Colonel Klink

i'm wondering if shot%'s are showing up for ver 4.1 or 4.2 haven't installed yet, waiting for my current battle to end. if not.. no big deal

(in reply to Wolverine)
Post #: 3
- 10/4/2000 9:02:00 PM   
Wolverine

Well, when it's your turn you can tell which units are seen by enemies because there's that * symbol in their names. So that's realistic then?? And let's think this in real life.. Ok, you are trying to hide from that panther at the top of the hill. Well I think you could say it has seen you when it's turret starts turn to you. Right?

(in reply to Wolverine)
Post #: 4
- 10/4/2000 9:13:00 PM   
Fredde

Umm, I believe that * next to the unit also is there when you try to opfire with it, at least that happens with my copy of the game . So you do actually know if you are seen or not when you get the option to opfire with it (which one can argue if it's realistic or not, probably the enemy will make some kind of reaction if they spot enemies close by and not just continue unbothered with their duties.. and based on their reaction you can figure out if you're spotted or not). Nope Colonel Klink, still no percentage values!

"If infantry is the Queen of the battlefield, artillery is her backbone", Jukka L. Mäkelä about the Finnish victory at Ihantala.

(in reply to Wolverine)
Post #: 5
- 10/4/2000 9:18:00 PM   
Wolverine

Thanks Fredde! I'm not actually a 100% that there isn't * symbol when op-firing and you are seen. I must look more carefully. Where is it? I haven't seen it. Could some Matrix guy clear this thing? One more strange thing: Why can't you see your hit-% when confirming op-fire?

(in reply to Wolverine)
Post #: 6
- 10/4/2000 9:23:00 PM   
Wolverine

I mean in real life, surely you know roughly how well you can hit. Or should we all know so much about war so that we must self calculate the hit-% by looking the range, by thinking what gun we are using, how fast the enemy is moving?? I think not, so please add hit-% to op-fire confirming. (If it isn't there somewhere and I haven't seen it..)

(in reply to Wolverine)
Post #: 7
- 10/4/2000 11:51:00 PM   
Fuerte

The hit probability has been suggested before, among other things.

(in reply to Wolverine)
Post #: 8
- 10/5/2000 12:34:00 AM   
Charles22

The * definitely tells you whether the unit is spotted or not, prior to anything further done, and yes it does work correctly during op fire (you'll find numerous units with it on and off). The * only tells you present spotting of that unit, and not whether another round fired or hex moved will change it to being spotted if unspotted before.

(in reply to Wolverine)
Post #: 9
- 10/5/2000 12:43:00 AM   
Wolverine

Roger That!

(in reply to Wolverine)
Post #: 10
- 10/6/2000 1:11:00 AM   
Rhone

I generally use op fire like this. AP vs. Armour at close range and HE vs. Soft at close range. If I shoot a .50 cal at a PzIV 20 hexes away, I will assume I am wasting ammunition.

(in reply to Wolverine)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> To op-fire or not to? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI