Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Hearts of Iron 3

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Hearts of Iron 3 Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Hearts of Iron 3 - 8/20/2008 2:17:02 PM   
doomtrader

I know it's not to kind but I think it's worth mentioning

Paradox has annouced Hearts of Iron 3

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=371013

hopefuly it will use EU3 engine

Post #: 1
RE: Hearts of Iron 3 - 8/20/2008 3:02:52 PM   
EUBanana

*drool*

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 2
RE: Hearts of Iron 3 - 8/20/2008 5:41:48 PM   
V22 Osprey

quote:

ORIGINAL: EUBanana

*drool*

ditto

HEARTS OF IRON 3

(in reply to EUBanana)
Post #: 3
RE: Hearts of Iron 3 - 8/20/2008 6:12:10 PM   
Greybriar

And just when I had completed my HoI collection.

Seriously, though, I am looking forward to it.

This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee

(in reply to V22 Osprey)
Post #: 4
RE: Hearts of Iron 3 - 8/20/2008 6:35:15 PM   
Peter Fisla

quote:

ORIGINAL: doomtrader

I know it's not to kind but I think it's worth mentioning

Paradox has annouced Hearts of Iron 3

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=371013

hopefuly it will use EU3 engine

This could be good, I had the original HOI but missed HO2. I just started playing EU3 and looks pretty good...though the complexity is hurting my brain :)

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 5
RE: Hearts of Iron 3 - 8/20/2008 6:42:39 PM   
HansBolter

I'll reserve judgement until Paradox shows me they have taken a new approach to "difficulty" levels.

HOI2 while initially a feast for a true grognards senses wore thin all too qucikly when one realized the design approach to increasing difficulty was simply increasing the number of enemy divisions to the level of the absurd.

(in reply to Peter Fisla)
Post #: 6
RE: Hearts of Iron 3 - 8/20/2008 8:50:51 PM   
JudgeDredd

Can't wait...HoI3.....

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 7
RE: Hearts of Iron 3 - 8/20/2008 9:46:11 PM   
cdbeck

I kinda hope they give me some more options and push the series into the modern world a la Doomsday. I know these games are about warfare, but it would be awesome if they could simulate the struggle over influence that existed after WWII in the Cold War. EUIII has tons of neat things that could easily be translated or transformed into modern day issues. Some things that I want to see:

1. An option, like in Making History, to use a high warscore (like 70-80%) in a peace treaty to force a government change to match your ideology. Sure, I know that you could set up countries as puppet states in HoI2, but I always felt that this section of the game could be improved a bit. I really liked in Making History how you could form new nations out of old ones, although there needed to be a name and flag change to accompany that. It was weird to see a Fascist PR of China for example.

2. Better espionage options. Seriously, as an American, I understand that espionage can have huge effects, some that surpass pure declarations of war. In HoI2 it was way too hard to force a regime change with spies. In the Cold War, US espionage spearheaded many such regime changes, particularly in South America (I'm not defending or denigrating this policy, just stating a fact). I wish this was more like the great boardgame Twilight Struggle, where certain nations has set "Stabiliy" levels that make them easier or harder to throw create a coup d'etat.

3. I like the mission and decision system added in In Nomine, and I think it would be AWESOME if they created some that had effects on other nations. For example, you could click, as Germany, the "Seek Anschluss" button and it would bring up a dialog box for Austria (either as an NPC or PC) that had several effects. That way, instead of always having Anschluss in 1938 you could try for it earlier, later, or not at all. Paradox seem to be against using Historical Events anymore (a decision that would be very odd to take with HoI3) so this could be assuaged by having the active decision system from In Nomine. That way, you have to have certain pre-reqs for an event, but then, if you so choose, you could fire off the event - such as the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact - once you succeded in getting these. Better yet, you could translate the local event system of In Nomine to an international event system - you click on another nation and get a series of decisions that are both general and only apply to them. So much of WWII, at least the pre-war and post war, was worked out through diplomacy and backroom deals. I never felt I could do these things in HoI2.

4. Did I say that I want the Cold War? Seriously, haven't we had enough WWII?

SoM

"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet!"
(Kill them all. God will know his own.)

-- Arnaud-Armaury, the Albigensian Crusade

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 8
RE: Hearts of Iron 3 - 8/20/2008 9:47:29 PM   
Terminus

Good Lord, not again...

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 9
RE: Hearts of Iron 3 - 8/20/2008 10:11:17 PM   
Zakhal

Nice to know but Im actually more excited when they release som info or the game itself. But that is full year away so Ill just forget about it.

"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 10
RE: Hearts of Iron 3 - 8/20/2008 11:30:13 PM   
traskott

As a big FAN of HOI2 ( viciousus modder here, atchung ), and having spent 4 years fighting in MP, I hope a REALLY advance from hoi2 to hoi3. Altough it has a great deep of realism, seasoned players, at the end, achieve victories simply clicking faster than the oponent. I would like a HOI3 with the micromanagement of witp ( or more ) .

Well. 365 days left to go.

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 11
RE: Hearts of Iron 3 - 8/21/2008 1:01:57 AM   
Hertston

Never could get into HoI 1 or 2; although I like EU3, CK and Victoria. It's very complex which in itself isn't a bad thing if that complexity promotes historicity, 'realism' and/or good gameplay. IMHO in HoI2 it does none of those things.

(in reply to traskott)
Post #: 12
RE: Hearts of Iron 3 - 8/21/2008 12:40:29 PM   
doomtrader

There's a trailer already, but nothing special there

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 13
RE: Hearts of Iron 3 - 8/21/2008 2:41:53 PM   
EUBanana

I didn't think it was very complex, but HoI2 has some  fairly serious issues that they need sorting out.  Naval and air combat for starters.

The AI just isnt' good enough as well.  Any AI involving naval combat = terrible, the US, Britain and Japan are utterly screwed in HoI2.

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 14
RE: Hearts of Iron 3 - 8/21/2008 7:03:49 PM   
orwell

HoI2: Yes, I've heard a lot of how the naval aspect was blown. However, by DDA 1.3, I've heard a lot of good things about naval invasions, making it a legitamate threat you had to face. Mind you, heard. I played a little with Armageddon, but by that time I was tired of HoI in general, and moved on to EUIII.Since it's on the EUIII engine, with the same spec requirements as In Nomine and Rome, it should be quite moddable, and while they're not touching the proxy wars during the cold war, I'm certain with the new map they'll do so in an expansion, and even if not, modders certainly will - which is the single biggest reason for me looking forward to the game. I've never heard of a decent game that dealt with the cold war, and would love to see one.

So far as basic information, it's 36-48, with over 10k individual provinces, with regions becoming what you knew in HoI2 as provinces. Also hinted at was individual units for every nation, instead of generic ones. It sounds like there will be some strong deterministic aspects, however other things will be left open to the player. Diplomacy is supposed to be expanded, but I'm not too hopeful in this area, I'd say diplomacy is one of Paradox's areas they tend to struggle with.

Montfort - Thanks for a couple ideas

(in reply to EUBanana)
Post #: 15
RE: Hearts of Iron 3 - 8/22/2008 3:18:39 PM   
Grell

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Good Lord, not again...

My thoughts exactly.

Regards,

Greg

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 16
RE: Hearts of Iron 3 - 8/22/2008 3:59:35 PM   
Widell

Luckilly for Terminus and Grell, they don't have to buy HoI 3 or any other game for that matter. It's a free world . For the rest of, let's hope HoI-3 is as much fun as the previous versions. With this, WiF and AE, does anyone need any other games? Do you need a family? A job?

(in reply to Grell)
Post #: 17
RE: Hearts of Iron 3 - 8/22/2008 4:23:55 PM   
V22 Osprey

quote:

ORIGINAL: Widell
Do you need a family? A job?

Well you need a family,otherwise you will be lonely for the rest of your life(not to mention noone giving a crap when you die) and you need a job to even have the money to buy the games.

(in reply to Widell)
Post #: 18
RE: Hearts of Iron 3 - 8/23/2008 2:50:54 AM   
Gem35

Well if T don't like it then I don't like it! And if Grell don't like it then I don't like it and well,.. I just don't LIKE IT!
I do like the idea of HOI3, heck if it takes three tries to get a game to be good then shame on all of you for buying the first two tries.

It doesn't make any sense, Admiral. Were we better than the Japanese or just luckier?

Banner By Feurer Krieg

(in reply to V22 Osprey)
Post #: 19
RE: Hearts of Iron 3 - 8/23/2008 8:33:53 AM   
pasternakski

quote:

ORIGINAL: V22 Osprey

quote:

ORIGINAL: Widell
Do you need a family? A job?

Well you need a family,otherwise you will be lonely for the rest of your life(not to mention noone giving a crap when you die) and you need a job to even have the money to buy the games.

Widell's right on it. Your family will take away your loneliness only to replace it with guilt, and your job disappears when you get old and creaky enough to retire and don't need one anymore.

Besides, I don't care if nobody gives a crap when I die. I'll be dead then.

Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.

(in reply to V22 Osprey)
Post #: 20
RE: Hearts of Iron 3 - 8/23/2008 12:11:28 PM   
Vyshka

Whatever happened to Paradox making a squad leader game? They got the rights to do it at the same time they got the rights to make Diplomacy.

"When they get in trouble they send for the sonsabitches" - Adm. King

(in reply to pasternakski)
Post #: 21
RE: Hearts of Iron 3 - 8/25/2008 9:27:00 AM   
Widell

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gem35
Well if T don't like it then I don't like it! And if Grell don't like it then I don't like it and well,.. I just don't LIKE IT!
I do like the idea of HOI3, heck if it takes three tries to get a game to be good then shame on all of you for buying the first two tries.

On the other hand, at least I had a lot of fun with the two first ones. Still have fun with the second, so for what it's worth they got something right.

(in reply to Gem35)
Post #: 22
RE: Hearts of Iron 3 - 8/25/2008 11:23:56 AM   
Krasny

quote:

hatever happened to Paradox making a squad leader game? They got the rights to do it at the same time they got the rights to make Diplomacy.

It would take real manpower to make a squad leader game that's not going to get laughed at.

Currently Paradox have something like 12 people. Who are rather busy at the moment.

(in reply to Vyshka)
Post #: 23
RE: Hearts of Iron 3 - 10/1/2008 4:10:38 PM   
doomtrader

And here comes some screenies:
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=376716
sorry for linking to paradox forum

(in reply to Krasny)
Post #: 24
RE: Hearts of Iron 3 - 10/1/2008 6:59:06 PM   
Hertston

I'm underwhelmed.

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 25
RE: Hearts of Iron 3 - 10/1/2008 7:05:29 PM   
JudgeDredd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hertston

I'm underwhelmed.

Absolutely my sentiments. In fact, for them to annouce some news and come up with what they come up with makes me feel queezy.

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 26
RE: Hearts of Iron 3 - 10/3/2008 9:21:04 AM   
doomtrader

Maybe a little explanation for those who are not so good with english?
Happy or not?

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 27
RE: Hearts of Iron 3 - 10/3/2008 9:50:41 AM   
JudgeDredd

Well, I think we're saying we were unimpressed with the announcment only to find two screenshots!

As for the game itself, I'm looking forward to it, although I hope they haven't dropped the 2D view as they have with their other series of games, as I never did get on with the sprites in the HoI games

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 28
RE: Hearts of Iron 3 - 10/3/2008 10:01:23 AM   
doomtrader

The game is going to be full 3D,

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 29
RE: Hearts of Iron 3 - 10/3/2008 10:37:27 AM   
JudgeDredd

Oh dear.

I suspect it "may" be a no sale for me....but it's too early to say for sure.

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Hearts of Iron 3 Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI