Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Bought a PS3

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Bought a PS3 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Bought a PS3 - 8/23/2008 5:03:36 PM   
Prince of Eckmühl

I'd been looking at Blue-Ray players, and really wasn't thrilled with my options. Between the customer reviews of the players and the prices, I had simply refused to buy.

Yesterday, I was wandering around the Techbargains website and came across an offer whereby I could get $150 off the new 80GB model, if I applied for a Sony Visa card.

Anyway, I finally bit on the PS3. The funny thing is that I can't imagine playing anything other than Madden '08 on it. I really purchased it for it's BR compatibility.

What a strange world,

PoE (aka ivanmoe)

Government is the opiate of the masses.
Post #: 1
RE: Bought a PS3 - 8/23/2008 6:56:42 PM   
cdbeck

Traitor! It is Wii or PC or death!

....actually I would like an X-Box 360.

SoM

"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet!"
(Kill them all. God will know his own.)

-- Arnaud-Armaury, the Albigensian Crusade

(in reply to Prince of Eckmühl)
Post #: 2
RE: Bought a PS3 - 8/23/2008 6:58:29 PM   
andym

Wii?The graphics are so childish,for that money id want a lot better,but please do follow the masses and jump on the bandwaggon and get a Wii.

Press to Test...............Release to Detonate!

(in reply to cdbeck)
Post #: 3
RE: Bought a PS3 - 8/23/2008 7:31:35 PM   
Veldor

I have all 3 consoles.. I originally bought an XBOX 360. I was given a Wii as a gift. And I bought the PS3 for BR Compatibility same as many.
I own some games for all 3 but in the end the XBOX 360 is by far the best. As stated the Wii graphics are just too bad and its really only suitable for a handful of lighter family/party titles. The PS3 looks fine, but the online play isnt there, the controller is not quite as good, and they aren't making good enough exclusives (yet). XBOX 360 also came with some nice freebies like a headset.

So whenever there is a choice of platform, I buy for the 360. I haven't been disappointed yet. The 360 also has the XBL Arcade where I can get Ticket to Ride, Carcassonne, Catan, and all the other boardgames/arcade games.. Neither of the other 2 platforms have anything like that.

I really thought after I bought my PS3 that I could chuck the 360 altogether. Couldn't be farther from the truth.

Still love the PS3 for BR though. Well worth the money even if thats basically all I use it for....

(in reply to andym)
Post #: 4
RE: Bought a PS3 - 8/23/2008 7:51:37 PM   
rogueusmc

I have the 360 and the Wii...

The Wii is definately more for a local party/family type use.

I Love my 360 though. I DL'd the Ticket to Ride demo and it was ok...I'll stick with my Chessmaster Live. Me and a buddy downloaded the original Doom the other night and had a blast. The download content is what puts the 360 above the rest in my opinion.

Semper Fi,
Lee

There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.

Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

(in reply to Veldor)
Post #: 5
RE: Bought a PS3 - 8/24/2008 12:23:49 PM   
kole100

I have the 360 and I love it.........

[URL=http://www.ayagames.com]Download Games[/URL]

(in reply to rogueusmc)
Post #: 6
RE: Bought a PS3 - 8/24/2008 1:10:59 PM   
JudgeDredd

I have the Wii....the family love it.

As for PS3 and Sony, they can shove blue ray where the sun doesn't shine...until I have no other option...and even then it won't be a PS3.

In fact, I'm pretty pissed off with the whole console thing anyway.

I mean, Sony rushed the PS3 out before they had the goods for people. Why? To get Blue Ray to market. Also, the CEO already apologised at the lack of quality games. The one which is available in Britain is the 40GB version and it's not backward compatible.

As for Nintendo, you can't get the Wii Fit game for love nor money. It's been sold out since it was released and Sony haven't made anymore...or certainly no more have shown up in the UK...why? The pessimist in me thinks it could be to keep the price artificially high. Shame on me.

Then you have the vultures on eBay charging double the price for the Wii Fit....and the people with too much money buying them.

Rant over.

(in reply to kole100)
Post #: 7
RE: Bought a PS3 - 8/24/2008 3:33:13 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

As for PS3 and Sony, they can shove blue ray where the sun doesn't shine...until I have no other option...and even then it won't be a PS3.

Haha! Still it's said that PS3 is best Blu-Ray player on the market. Anyways my first choice for Blu-Ray player would be PC with Blu-Ray drive on it. No pressing need for it yet...

[edit]
quote:

As stated the Wii graphics are just too bad and its really only suitable for a handful of lighter family/party titles.

You haven't tried Metroid Prime 3 on it yet, have you?

What's the deal with graphics anyway? I would have gladly stuck with graphics of year 2004 just so I could spend money on games instead new hardware to run them. And we're wargamers here, so graphics shouldn't be issue for us as long as we recognize different types of tanks and other vital information. With exception of Supreme Commander, my old piece of * (Sempron 3100+, 1 GB RAM, GeForce 7800 GS) runs any and all wargames just fine I have stuck on it yet.

< Message edited by Matti Kuokkanen -- 8/24/2008 3:45:17 PM >

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 8
RE: Bought a PS3 - 8/24/2008 6:03:17 PM   
Grell

My sons have a 360. My daughter took over her mothers notebook and plays flash games on it. My wife wants a PS3 to watch movies but is in no hurry to get one.

I make do.

Regards,

Greg

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 9
RE: Bought a PS3 - 8/24/2008 7:15:54 PM   
Zakhal

Im planning to get 360 and 47-52" HDTV for both (new) pc and xbox. And whole new set of sofa, chair and table to the entertainment room. But its very hard to find the right kind of table or sofa.

I was originally going for ps3 but xbox won over with the exclusives - since ps3 more less lost them all. It was the last card ps3 had and I rather pick the cheap xbox with backwards compability to all xbox1 games I never played. Ill buy blueray to either pc or xbox once its cheap enough/becomes available.

< Message edited by Zakhal -- 8/24/2008 7:16:30 PM >

"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke

(in reply to Grell)
Post #: 10
RE: Bought a PS3 - 8/24/2008 7:55:09 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zakhal

Im planning to get 360 and 47-52" HDTV for both (new) pc and xbox. And whole new set of sofa, chair and table to the entertainment room. But its very hard to find the right kind of table or sofa.

While you're at it, I recommend you to get also audio/video amplifier (make sure it is HDMI 1.3 compatible), decent speakers, and subwoofer. Of course if you have some of those, or all of those, never mind...

quote:

I rather pick the cheap xbox with backwards compability to all xbox1 games I never played.

Xbox was before Xbox 360, but what's xbox1? If you minced words (cheap xbox = Xbox 360 and xbox1 = Xbox), I point out that there might be quite few Xbox games that still don't work on Xbox 360. So ask/test before you buy. And don't get Xbox 360 without hard disk drive!

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 11
RE: Bought a PS3 - 8/24/2008 7:58:20 PM   
cdbeck

All that Wii hate is unjustified. If I want to play formulaic, platformers and FPS, I don't need to buy a console (like a 360 or a PS3), I have my PC for that. If I want motion control, innovative gameplay (let me tell you Trauma Center, the medical sim, is an awesome use of the technology), and tried and true intellectual property (Zelda, Metroid, Mario) then I choose the Wii anyday. Sure you can play Halo with a cumbersome controller, or you can actually point Samus's gun at an enemy and blast away.

For a bunch of people on a wargaming board, you talk about the Wii graphics like they are original NES or something. They may not be the 360 HD quality, but the Wii is also cheaper.

Yeah, JD, we were lucky to get Wii fit (another example of innovation in gameplay and console use). It really is neat though. Unfortunately, I haven't gotten to use it in a while, due to constraints in moving (i.e. moving apartments, not that I can't move).

But to each his own. I wouldn't trade my Wii in for a PS3 AND a 360. The Wii was a gift (I don't normally buy consoles, as I have my PC) and it was one of the best gifts ever. For those that complain about "wii bandwagon," "childish graphics," "kiddie games," or "bad choice of games," I wonder if you have actually used a Wii. Once you play around with it, it gets to be pretty danged addictive. Also, you just don't see many of the Wii games getting ported to PC (like Halo, GTA, Mass Effect), so if you want to play Mario, Zelda, Metroid, etc, you only have one place.

SoM

"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet!"
(Kill them all. God will know his own.)

-- Arnaud-Armaury, the Albigensian Crusade

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 12
RE: Bought a PS3 - 8/24/2008 8:14:24 PM   
JudgeDredd

The Wii Sports game (and whoever named that was having a RIGHT laugh!!) that came with itis awesome. Boxing is superb and a great way to keep fit if you do it properly.

The kids love it...it's a great family tool. I'm with SoM...I wouldn't trade it in for a PS3 and 360.

(in reply to cdbeck)
Post #: 13
RE: Bought a PS3 - 8/24/2008 9:25:49 PM   
V22 Osprey

XBOX 360 rules.
Wii-'alright'
PS3 can kiss my Xbox 360 play'in butt.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 14
RE: Bought a PS3 - 8/24/2008 11:04:37 PM   
Arctic Blast

I have a 360, and am quite happy with it. A buddy has the Wii, and it IS a fun system, but right now it seems that 90% of the games coming out for it are nothing but rehashed minigame collections. Once we start seeing more good content, though, I'm onboard in a second.

< Message edited by Arctic Blast -- 8/25/2008 7:33:03 PM >

Meditation on inevitable death should be performed daily.

(in reply to V22 Osprey)
Post #: 15
RE: Bought a PS3 - 8/25/2008 4:59:39 AM   
ilovestrategy

You cannot lose with with any system. All 3 are good! I love the PS3, 360, and the Wii!

Graphics for the Wii? Bah! That thing is so fun to play it's not even funny. It's just well, FUN!

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to Arctic Blast)
Post #: 16
RE: Bought a PS3 - 8/25/2008 3:52:50 PM   
Prince of Eckmühl

quote:

ORIGINAL: HowToAddThis

How much did you pay for it?
I find that the lowest price for PlayStation 3 80GB Metal Gear Solid 4 Bundle is $499
http://dealstudio.pgpartner.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=67213902/search=PS3/st=product/sv=title&ru=283

First, this isn't last years 80GB PS3. It's a new model that won't play PS2 games. That's no biggie to me, because I don't own any. Again, I bought one because it has good blu-ray playback.

I purchased the PS3 from the "Sony Style" website. The price was $399, but I got a $150 credit for applying for a Sony Visa card. The shipping was free, but I had to pay Texas sales tax. Out of pocket, the console cost me about $280.

PoE (aka ivanmoe)

Government is the opiate of the masses.
Post #: 17
RE: Bought a PS3 - 8/25/2008 5:23:35 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arctic Blast

A buddy has thw Wii, and it IS a fun game, but right now it seems that 90% of the games coming out for it are nothing but rehashed minigame collections. Once we start seeing more good content, though, I'm onboard in a second.

Metroid Prime 3
Okami
Bully: Scholarship Edition
No More Heroes
Super Mario Galaxy
Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition

And those minigame collections (Mario Kart Wii, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Boom Blox, and rest) can be good content with right company of players (and booze)

MekWars

(in reply to Arctic Blast)
Post #: 18
RE: Bought a PS3 - 8/25/2008 7:35:03 PM   
Arctic Blast

Boom Blox is indeed fun with friends...and beer.

Bully doesn't interest me in the least (and I could get it for my 360 as it is), and I have never liked the Resident Evil series...Metroid Prime, Mario Galaxy and pretty much anything Zelda are usually pretty reliable.

Meditation on inevitable death should be performed daily.

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 19
RE: Bought a PS3 - 9/6/2008 1:05:28 PM   
Peter Fisla

quote:

ORIGINAL: V22 Osprey

XBOX 360 rules.
Wii-'alright'
PS3 can kiss my Xbox 360 play'in butt.

http://venturebeat.com/2008/09/05/xbox-360-defects-an-inside-history-of-microsofts-video-game-console-woes/

don't have this on my PS3 :)

(in reply to V22 Osprey)
Post #: 20
RE: Bought a PS3 - 9/6/2008 9:55:05 PM   
Zakhal

quote:

Im planning to get 360 and 47-52" HDTV for both (new) pc and xbox.

I finally found my TV:

quote:

52-inch KDL-52W4500. Image processing and enhancement is handled by Sony’s new Bravia Engine 2 to get the very best quality from any source. With this and a high dynamic contrast ratio of 50.000:1 and live colour creation work to provide excellent colors and deep blacks.

Along with Motionflow 100Hz technology to keep images judder and motion blur free, the Sony W4500’s also feature new “IB Reduction” to further reduce motion blur by “cleaning” original frames before new frames are automatically inserted. Other features worth mentioning are; the highest HD resolution 1080p LCD screen uses a 10bit panel to produce more vivid and natural colors than most other LCD screen, 24p support for true frame rates, x.v color and an internal MPEG-4 tuner.

The Sony W4500 series also lets you enjoy much and multimedia content from other devices on your network by streaming and using the DLNA standard. The HDTV can also be used in “Photo HD mode” which enables you to view your photos directly from a USB memory stick. Inputs include 3x HDMI 1.3, component, PC VGA, Digital Media Port.

Should be fun to try wargames like WITP with this beauty (52" of map) - hopefully the scaling will be good enough.

At first I wanted a led TV but cheapest sony led was like 5000-6000€ aka way beyond my price range. Ill look into it again in 3-4 years. LCD tvs develop so fast nowadays that they propably have even somthing better than led by then.

quote:

While you're at it, I recommend you to get also audio/video amplifier (make sure it is HDMI 1.3 compatible), decent speakers, and subwoofer. Of course if you have some of those, or all of those, never mind...

As for video I need to test nvidia / sony software/hardware scaling first. Those good video scalers like onkyo seem to cost way more than simple audio set. If audio amp is all I need Ill propably get a HT-DDWG800 or HT-SF1300 - Im no gold ear so I dont need the best.

Once I get the TV Ill propably order elite version of xbox360. I wish its price would drop a bit.

< Message edited by Zakhal -- 9/6/2008 9:58:58 PM >

"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 21
RE: Bought a PS3 - 9/6/2008 10:03:25 PM   
Zakhal

quote:

ORIGINAL: Peter Fisla
http://venturebeat.com/2008/09/05/xbox-360-defects-an-inside-history-A 40-year-old photographer, Szarek was a hardcore Microsoft fan who spent more than $1,000 on his games.

Since when was 1,000$ spending (15-20 full priced console games) called "hardcore"? I have propably spent four to five times that in the past few years.

(in reply to Peter Fisla)
Post #: 22
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Bought a PS3 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll