Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Important changes

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> WW2: Road to Victory >> RE: Important changes Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Important changes - 8/24/2008 9:30:45 PM   
JudgeDredd

Kuniworth - lighten up. The first part was a joke.

The second part was a serious question about what benefit is there in having Scapa Flow (to pick one of your examples)?
In game terms, what would adding it serve to achieve "within the game"? If it's purely aesthetic, fine...it's your perogative to ask for it and it would mean nothing to me if it was added or not...so I would be happy either way. If there is some other reason...a more meaningful reason...then depending on that reason, I could've supported it.

(in reply to KuniworthII)
Post #: 31
RE: Important changes - 8/24/2008 9:41:10 PM   
KuniworthII

I think I stated it in the beginning. There are two reasons:

1. I want to feel that Im playing ww2 as accurate yet playable as we can do it. Also it will improve the game: example adding the territorial disputes will change state boundries thus making the player face new strategic decisions.

2. The ww2 generations is in it's last breath(check out the link in  my sig for example), soon memories will fade. Young people rather play a game than read a book, to honor those who died and teach the younger generations I think we oughta depict this conflict as accurate and playable as possible. After all this was the most deadly conflict in human history.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 32
RE: Important changes - 8/24/2008 9:56:54 PM   
JudgeDredd

Well, I didn't buy it to teach me history...that's what I use books for. Games are for gaming in my house.

However, as long as it doesn't break anything in gaming terms, then I have no reason to say anymore on the matter.

Good luck with your request.

Post #: 33
RE: Important changes - 8/24/2008 10:49:24 PM   
wargamer123

Kuniworth... Interesting take on the game. Seems as if it has an appeal, I'll keep watching to see if the appeal develops. Good to see you again. Plus I can understand your precision in the Eastern Regions, people usually focus WW2 games with Brest-Caen-Calais with such precision but the regions less popular in Western Fiction Movies are ignored. The battles in the East had some of the highest death tolls and impact of the war. We don't really recognize them from the West because only Germans/Russians fought in them.

Seems as if this game is more of a beta version. That is requires a lot of tweaking to get down to brass tax. I hope that it improves, I like the overall appearance and it sounds like a fun/strategic-tactical scope ETO game.

Not sure I should get involved in this... There are a lot of other things out right now. Few things live up to your expectations, you can only hope and cross your fingers!

< Message edited by wargamer123 -- 8/24/2008 10:50:02 PM >

Post #: 34
RE: Important changes - 8/25/2008 2:04:38 AM   
Hanal

Knowing Kuni from SC boards, I know that his intentions are for the good for the game...sure, maybe some of them are not as important as others but I applaud the time he took to work on his thoughts....I cringe at what he will say when my SCWAW-RCW mod comes out in a week or two, but I know that his observations can only help in making a better game here, or in my case, a better Mod there.....

(in reply to wargamer123)
Post #: 35
RE: Important changes - 8/25/2008 6:45:47 AM   
Magpius

Kuni is a legend.
and good humoured smack talk makes the threads more than just mundane.

(in reply to Hanal)
Post #: 36
RE: Important changes - 8/25/2008 9:12:47 AM   
john_j_rambo

Kuni is just giving you the top dressing to fix.  All he did was pick the low hanging fruit.  Relax.  If you don't want to fix, then don't.  If you do want to fix it, then do. 

(in reply to Magpius)
Post #: 37
RE: Important changes - 8/25/2008 11:44:17 AM   
sterckxe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Agent S
Kuni is a legend.
and good humoured smack talk makes the threads more than just mundane.

As an old lurker in the SC1 forum I agree - and now we have John J Rambo showing up here as well - there must be something to this game ...

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

(in reply to Magpius)
Post #: 38
RE: Important changes - 8/25/2008 9:13:16 PM   
wargamer123

Now all we need is Terif, Zapp who created CEAW, Iron Ranger, CodeName Condor, Sombra and a few others... We'll have an ole party

I do not know though if this is SC1 type game or not I have just followed it as it was listed on the Paradox Games bestseller list for a day...

Personally I really liked HOI2, it had to grow on you, but it's almost impossible to MultiPlayer because relying on 5-6 people to keep showing up... CEAW I haven't been able to play the Demo because I have had errors, might try it again. Aside from that, Making History came out but it sort of like Axis & Allies '98 PC on steroids.

the problem with this game if it's good, or not. Do you dish out 50 and find out, shucks

P.S. If people are into old Empire Builders, Victoria HOI2 Civ4 all fun sim like games, can get dull over time

P.S.S. World in Flames is due out but I do not think any of us will have the patience for it. I looked at it, it would be like this X 100 or 1000

< Message edited by wargamer123 -- 8/25/2008 9:14:08 PM >

(in reply to sterckxe)
Post #: 39
RE: Important changes - 8/25/2008 10:50:16 PM   
KuniworthII

Darn cool to see all those legends of the old guard show up in support, thats the spirit guys. Hey Stercx lurker or not, I remember your name man.

But what da crap is Wagner renaming himself Falcon? Seems like ole JP and Rambo throwing some kind of transvestite roleplaying game or something. Now throw in a bottle of vodka and this looks very promising indeed.

< Message edited by Kuniworth II -- 8/25/2008 11:02:27 PM >

(in reply to wargamer123)
Post #: 40
RE: Important changes - 8/25/2008 11:38:10 PM   
SeaMonkey

Alright Kuni, didn't really think you'd take a look.  Hey Liam, we miss you over at SC, take a look at PTO. Your kidding me...that was (Air)Zapp that made CEaW...not bad for a newbie.

Guys...don't you wish these developers had taken the time to go over all our posts for the original SC evolution so long ago...what about 7 years.  Think how much further this game would have been along.  Now...what...I'm with you Kuni, ...Just don't have the energy or time to start this all over again.

Besides, it'd be like regressing...at least 3 years, we're already on to PTO and the world and HC has done us right.

Still...these guys may do well ....I surely hope so....Bitter Glory...looms, but from the looks of this game currently, it'll be a long road.

Anyway Kuni, good job...bring back the best ideas these guys had, we already got some from CEaW, more to come from SaS.

< Message edited by SeaMonkey -- 8/25/2008 11:47:30 PM >

Post #: 41
RE: Important changes - 8/26/2008 12:18:45 AM   
Hanal

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kuniworth II

Darn cool to see all those legends of the old guard show up in support, thats the spirit guys. Hey Stercx lurker or not, I remember your name man.

But what da crap is Wagner renaming himself Falcon? Seems like ole JP and Rambo throwing some kind of transvestite roleplaying game or something. Now throw in a bottle of vodka and this looks very promising indeed.

ahhh, now I feel at home......

Post #: 42
RE: Important changes - 8/26/2008 3:23:57 AM   
john_j_rambo

I have not purchased this game.  Is it TCP/IP?  Can't say I have much time for gaming due to family & work.  Matrix has alot of different games.  Are the U.S. Civil War games any good?  Believe it or not, I have more of a desire to play board games instead of computer games.  I've got a couple of buddies who like to play.  I more social player.  This computer crap is too impersonal. 

(in reply to Hanal)
Post #: 43
RE: Important changes - 8/26/2008 3:25:19 AM   
john_j_rambo

By the way, I used to have my old handle here:  jon_j_rambo.  But I had to switch to john_j_rambo when my e-mail got screwed up.  Same Legend, just 6 years old, unreal, huh? 

(in reply to john_j_rambo)
Post #: 44
RE: Important changes - 8/26/2008 3:30:27 AM   
Maddoc06

There is a way through here.

I think the issues raised are largely the problem that many gamers experience where they want more historicity and detail in a game that seems to be potentially modifiable to achieve this aim. Others want more detail but not necessary strict historicity.

In my view, the detail on the map can be improved and that is what I have been doing in my mod. I think what you should do Kuniworth is mod the cities as you wish and create a mod that is more terrain accurate. But there are obvious limits in this game to modifications, particularly the inability to mod terrain, sea zones and differentiate military units more. We just have to live with these or try another game if the tools to change are not available.

Post #: 45
RE: Important changes - 8/26/2008 7:10:32 AM   
KuniworthII

Lol Mad-Dog>>>>>

Im not editing anything, dont have the strangth to do it, have no clue what kind of events you can do or not. Im just gonna sit here getting fat.

(in reply to Maddoc06)
Post #: 46
RE: Important changes - 8/26/2008 7:11:12 AM   
KuniworthII

quote:

ORIGINAL: john_j_rambo

By the way, I used to have my old handle here:  jon_j_rambo.  But I had to switch to john_j_rambo when my e-mail got screwed up.  Same Legend, just 6 years old, unreal, huh? 

Outrageous.

Post #: 47
RE: Important changes - 8/26/2008 11:25:08 AM   
doomtrader

quote:

ask administration to merge your accounts, some forum scripts allow it

Post #: 48
RE: Important changes - 8/26/2008 8:49:49 PM   
Plainian

quote:

Another flaw:

Airborne divisions can do a parachute jump AND THEN MOVE 4-5 hexes. Well feels like HOI para jumping all over again.

Naturally a airborne divsion that jumps should have the possibility to move maybe max 1 hex not more if even that.

Sounds fixable? what if Divs land with only 1 MP available so can either attack or move?
Doom? Comrade? Is this feasible?

Post #: 49
RE: Important changes - 8/26/2008 8:59:14 PM   
doomtrader

quote:

ORIGINAL: Plain Ian

quote:

Another flaw:

Airborne divisions can do a parachute jump AND THEN MOVE 4-5 hexes. Well feels like HOI para jumping all over again.

Naturally a airborne divsion that jumps should have the possibility to move maybe max 1 hex not more if even that.

Sounds fixable? what if Divs land with only 1 MP available so can either attack or move?

I must missed that idea.
Don't know now and I'm not even sure do I like the idea, but certainly we will discuss it. :)

(in reply to Plainian)
Post #: 50
RE: Important changes - 8/26/2008 9:23:10 PM   
Plainian

quote:

ORIGINAL: doomtrader

quote:

ORIGINAL: Plain Ian

quote:

Another flaw:

I must missed that idea.
Don't know now and I'm not even sure do I like the idea, but certainly we will discuss it. :)

Well I guess that its a way of making the game more realistic. Lighly equiped, non mobile Para Divs were hardly likely to be as mobile and effective as standard infantry units on landing.

If you are willing to consider this then thats great. If its too hard or time consuming to code then let us know and we will just have to accept and maybe house rule.

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 51
RE: Important changes - 8/26/2008 9:53:28 PM   
KuniworthII

commanders, more examples of flaws:

Please check ratings for french commanders.

YOu have a higher rating for Gamelin(6) while Giraud arguable one of the ablest french general has a rating of 4. Should at least be swapped between those two.

(in reply to Plainian)
Post #: 52
RE: Important changes - 8/26/2008 10:08:29 PM   
KuniworthII

I hope you in the dev team takes the time to read through all of this thread and not miss reading stuff(like the airborne issue).

Post #: 53
RE: Important changes - 8/26/2008 10:11:41 PM   
doomtrader

quote:

I hope you in the dev team takes the time to read through all of this thread and not miss reading stuff(like the airborne issue).

I'll go trough this thread early enough to consider everything before next patch.

Post #: 54
RE: Important changes - 8/26/2008 11:44:26 PM   
Severian

quote:

I've just ready everything and noted all your notices. We'll consider any of them ;)

As doomtrader said - I'm cut off web, but I'm back for a few days :)

Thanks for your comments and proposals.

War, war never changes... but are you sure? Bitter Glory

Put an apple in your mouth, we'll play Wilhelm Tell - "Hawkeye" Pierce to Frank Burns

Post #: 55
RE: Important changes - 8/27/2008 5:43:43 AM   
KuniworthII

sounds good guys. Now I've been to Poland twice, can you explain why you eat so much soup?

(in reply to Severian)
Post #: 56
RE: Important changes - 8/27/2008 8:29:06 AM   
Anraz

quote:

can you explain why you eat so much soup?
  There are many reasons, but first of all because we like to ;)   From scientific point of view it  lightens one's breadbasket, helps to absorb nutritional components and easily waters one`s body.

Post #: 57
RE: Important changes - 8/27/2008 8:57:52 AM   
wargamer123

As a Scientific reason to eat more soup, finding this very true. Since you can place lots of legumes and vegetables in 1 meal and it's easy to stomach. Soup goes down quicker than some dry preparations.

Odd that when were sick as kids chicken noodle was the suggestion?

(in reply to Anraz)
Post #: 58
RE: Important changes - 8/27/2008 11:13:46 AM   
sterckxe

quote:

Same Legend, just 6 years old

Yeah, I figured you were about that age back when SC1 hit the scene

I just loved to read you smack-talking with the other regulars while waiting for my opponent to send in his turn. Good memories

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

Post #: 59
RE: Important changes - 8/27/2008 11:55:59 AM   
doomtrader

I think you all deserve an explanation. WW2:RtV is not a totally historical simulation of World War 2. I think that the best description would be Casual Grand Strategy Game focused for land combat.
We know and I think that some of you already know that it is not a game where you simulate or replay history. It’s rather a game where you can play a war.
We can of course add more cities, more events and some more things but the most important thing is playability. We would like you to play it again and again and again. Those are things you can change to be exactly as you expect.
Of course we are hearing your opinions and if judge that something is good for game it will be changed. I agree with Keni that there are some mistakes in the game and that’s why WI team is here. We put propositions from this thread on the table. Some are already accepted and some are going to be rejected, others need to be checked and some might be cast aside due to the engine.
Anyway, I would like to thank you for helping make this game better.

(in reply to sterckxe)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> WW2: Road to Victory >> RE: Important changes Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI