Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Anyone interested in the French Indian Wars?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Age of Muskets] >> Birth of America 2: Wars in America >> Anyone interested in the French Indian Wars? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Anyone interested in the French Indian Wars? - 9/8/2008 9:30:36 PM   
Biffa

I've been reenacting the French Indian Wars for almost 15 years, can't wait to try the demo of this game and see what it is like.

Anyone who is interested in this war I would thoroughly recommend this website, especially if you are US.

Frontierfolk

For UK reenactors (some from europe) or people who would like to find out more about reenacting this war I'd recommend NFOE, sorry about the website I'm suppose to doing this...but I keep modding PCK...and having children .

NFOE

A great way of legally hanging out in a woods, drinking and messing with firearms (tho don't say I said that).

This is a movie that I recently made to help publicise what we do.

NFOE Movie Clip

Here's a shot of our group at Bath a couple of weeks ago.

Post #: 1
RE: Anyone interested in the French Indian Wars? - 9/8/2008 10:00:46 PM   
KG Erwin

Interesting video. Reenacting isn't my cup of tea, but I have a couple of friends who are American Civil War reenactors. As a matter of fact, one of them was an extra in the movie "Gods and Generals" (no speaking part, though).

(in reply to Biffa)
Post #: 2
RE: Anyone interested in the French Indian Wars? - 9/9/2008 6:49:28 AM   
bardosy

I hope, you will not disappointed. But this game is a STRATEGIC game, without the all beauty of reenacting. So you will not watch the marching troops... But it's a good game for me(, who know nothing about French and indian war) because inspirate the player to know more about the war, the events and the characters...

Do you know any site where can we download music of this era? Your reenact team has a musician who play the march?

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 3
RE: Anyone interested in the French Indian Wars? - 9/9/2008 10:20:09 PM   
Biffa

Sure, I'm no expert on military music of the period but 50 paces a minute means that most music is pretty simple to play, a couple of music sites recommended by reenacting musicians:

Military Heritage Website

The next one seems to be having some problems...

fifedrum.org

We don't tend to use them much sneaking patrols in woods but I must admit it's a lot easier to march with a musician around.

(in reply to bardosy)
Post #: 4
RE: Anyone interested in the French Indian Wars? - 9/9/2008 10:24:27 PM   
Biffa

Btw, you have a great military museum in Budapest, I remember some great Napoleonic and Turk displays, was there about 15 years ago visited the Gondel and the Gelliart too, amazing. I bet it's changed a bit now, fond memories.

(in reply to Biffa)
Post #: 5
RE: Anyone interested in the French Indian Wars? - 9/10/2008 5:36:42 AM   
benpark

Good stuff. My fathers family were Scots imported to do some fighting for the British army in the New World during the F&IW.

I have started reading more on the Seven Years War, I'm currently reading "Crucible of War":

http://www.amazon.com/Crucible-War-British-America-1754-1766/dp/0375706364/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1221021054&sr=8-1

It's the best all encompassing book I have read on the subject.

Second on the comment on the quality of the Budapest military museum. I was there 2 years ago, and I bet it's exactly as it was a decade ago.

< Message edited by benpark -- 9/10/2008 5:37:41 AM >

"Fear is a darkroom where the devil develops his negatives" Gary Busey

(in reply to Biffa)
Post #: 6
RE: Anyone interested in the French Indian Wars? - 9/10/2008 6:47:31 AM   
bardosy

SAF_Biffa: thank you the site, I'm hearing the samples! That's great!
I'm glad if you enjoy our small military museum. I usually return in every 2-3 month to check it. It's nice, but there is no armors (I mean AFVs), because no place for it... :( But sometimes they organise reenacting party near the museum (if you remember, it's in a Castle) and these reenacting party are very-very nice. There was reenactors from age 1848 to 1945... I have pictures only from 1945, but I was in a 1860 show too, and an austrian reenactor group fired their cannon and it was a shocing experience... :)))
In other american or international forums the other fellow forumist said, our military museum is oldskool (not really kid-friendly) and the guards (the women are worst) are really hard. ;) And it's true... :(

If you interested, these are the pictures about the reenactors from 1945. The germans and hungarians are real reenactors, but the russians are official soldiers... they didn't enjoy the show... it was extremly cold.
http://lacko.pcdome.hu/CMBB/Reenact.html
Oh, and now I see, there was a small hussar-march (1848) in the middle of the photos... ;)

(in reply to benpark)
Post #: 7
RE: Anyone interested in the French Indian Wars? - 9/10/2008 1:30:13 PM   
Marc von Martial

quote:

ORIGINAL: benpark

I have started reading more on the Seven Years War, I'm currently reading "Crucible of War":

http://www.amazon.com/Crucible-War-British-America-1754-1766/dp/0375706364/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1221021054&sr=8-1

What the heck, not that I have a pile of books to still read through. So I ordered this one too.

If I would find out about a german French and Indian War reenactment group I would actually consider reenacting I guess. I used to read a lot about Indians of the plains and the Iroqouis when I was around 20, I built indian adornment like breastplates, collars etc., oh and arrows and whatnot

(in reply to benpark)
Post #: 8
RE: Anyone interested in the French Indian Wars? - 9/10/2008 2:23:04 PM   
benpark

I hope you enjoy it, Marc. It's main focus is the war in the Americas, but includes a good amount of attention to what is taking place in Europe as well.

The descriptions of the fighting around the many buffer forts is good reading. The author manages to pull off a macro view along with giving a good impression of what the ground war was like for the soldiers fighting it. It's tough fighting, to say the least.

"Fear is a darkroom where the devil develops his negatives" Gary Busey

(in reply to Marc von Martial)
Post #: 9
RE: Anyone interested in the French Indian Wars? - 9/10/2008 4:46:54 PM   
Marc von Martial

Sounds exactly like what I need and expected

(in reply to benpark)
Post #: 10
RE: Anyone interested in the French Indian Wars? - 9/10/2008 10:06:32 PM   
Biffa

Marc you are joking about wanting to Iroqouis?

The best and largest Iroqouis reenacting group in the world is actually German!

I've fought with them many times (well against them mostly), these guys rock so much we actually pay them to come to the UK to support our events. What is it about you guys and the Iroqouis?

Here's a clip of them doing what they do best....ransacking camps and taking scalps:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2jj3yrFZi0&feature=related

I've had a quick look for their website, I don't understand any German but this looks like this could be their website, I can check with our guys if it isn't.

http://www.iroquois.de/

Benp, that's amazing re your ancestors, interestingly a large percentage of the Scottish forces sent to the new world were pressed Jacobites after their defeat at Culloden, weird so many chose this route and actually fought for the British/English in America. I've done quite a few battles in Derby as a Jacobite myself...sadly my trous don't fit my fat butt anymore...still have my targe tho.

Bardosy, do those ladies in the museum still wear white coats like doctors? I remember them well they followed me everywhere. I was saddened to see the light horse composite bows had warped so badly due to the fact that they hadn't been put in a humidifier unit, but when you pay 2p (4cents) to get in then I guess you can't complain.

Post #: 11
RE: Anyone interested in the French Indian Wars? - 9/10/2008 10:24:28 PM   
Biffa

Reading refs for FYI, this guy is my favourite writer totally brilliant stuff, he covers must of the history of the frontier, it's historical/fiction, based on tons of research but woven together into stories, most details are accurate and based on original accounts.

http://www.allaneck.com/

First book I read on the FYI was Montcalm and Wolfe by Francis Parkman, this is the bible of the peroid.

Another song reference site for bard - it's a bit organy tho...

http://www.contemplator.com/war.html

(in reply to Biffa)
Post #: 12
RE: Anyone interested in the French Indian Wars? - 9/11/2008 8:19:18 AM   
bardosy

quote:

ORIGINAL: SAF_Biffa
Bardosy, do those ladies in the museum still wear white coats like doctors? I remember them well they followed me everywhere. I was saddened to see the light horse composite bows had warped so badly due to the fact that they hadn't been put in a humidifier unit, but when you pay 2p (4cents) to get in then I guess you can't complain.

Yeah... ;)
A few month ago I bring my nephews to the Museum and it was a hard way... Those ladies follow us everywhere and when the kids try to check something a little bit closer, they start to shout "Stop! Don't touch! Step back!" etc...
But we can improve ourselves, but slowly: there is only one section where you (or your kids) can touch arms.
In an other forum, a guy asked me to translate a subtitle of a archive picture, what he took in that museum. And I asked, "How can you take this picture? The ladies allow you to take picture?" And he answered, this was the only one picture, because the ladies start to shout... :( It's not a good advertise, but believe me, only the museum's ladies are so intolerant, other hungarians are fine... :D

EDIT: because I'm a reviewer and I had to mentioned it in the review of BoA2, I search how the Hungarians call the "Franch and indian war", because I never heard it in hungarian. And I found we call it just "seven years war" and there is no specific name of the american part of this war... :( So I have to describe it.

< Message edited by bardosy -- 9/11/2008 8:22:27 AM >

(in reply to Biffa)
Post #: 13
RE: Anyone interested in the French Indian Wars? - 9/12/2008 10:54:25 AM   
Marc von Martial

quote:

Marc you are joking about wanting to Iroqouis?

The best and largest Iroqouis reenacting group in the world is actually German!

I've fought with them many times (well against them mostly), these guys rock so much we actually pay them to come to the UK to support our events. What is it about you guys and the Iroqouis?

Here's a clip of them doing what they do best....ransacking camps and taking scalps:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2jj3yrFZi0&feature=related

I know about these groups that reenact Indians . Germany is most probably the land with the most serious reeactment scene when it comes to Indians. We have our own "tradeposts" I still have tons of trade beads, shells and what not from my Indian days ;)

I would like to reenact the official military part of the French and Indian War.
For reacting Indians, I don't know if I would still have the motivation for that. And then it would either be one of the Lakota subtribes.

I will check the guys out again and contact them for infos. Last time I have seen them is most probably 10 years ago .....
If it is actually these guys in the video: http://www.irokesen-potsdam.de

(in reply to Biffa)
Post #: 14
RE: Anyone interested in the French Indian Wars? - 9/12/2008 10:55:50 AM   
Marc von Martial

quote:

I've had a quick look for their website, I don't understand any German but this looks like this could be their website, I can check with our guys if it isn't.

http://www.iroquois.de/

I would appreciate that.

(in reply to Biffa)
Post #: 15
RE: Anyone interested in the French Indian Wars? - 9/12/2008 11:47:05 AM   
sterckxe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marc von Martial
Germany is most probably the land with the most serious reeactment scene when it comes to Indians.

Karl May's influence still lingers on ...

http://www.cowboysindians.com/articles/archives/0999/karl_may.html

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

Post #: 16
RE: Anyone interested in the French Indian Wars? - 9/12/2008 12:38:45 PM   
Marc von Martial

quote:

ORIGINAL: sterckxe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marc von Martial
Germany is most probably the land with the most serious reeactment scene when it comes to Indians.

Karl May's influence still lingers on ...

http://www.cowboysindians.com/articles/archives/0999/karl_may.html

Oh, for sure he had a major impact

(in reply to sterckxe)
Post #: 17
RE: Anyone interested in the French Indian Wars? - 9/16/2008 11:18:07 AM   
Marc von Martial

Book came in today. Jeez, it is a monster

Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Age of Muskets] >> Birth of America 2: Wars in America >> Anyone interested in the French Indian Wars? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI