Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

entering exiting a unpasable hexes

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> TOAW III Support >> entering exiting a unpasable hexes Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
entering exiting a unpasable hexes - 9/11/2008 11:53:36 AM   
el cid

I have seen that badlands are impasable for mechanized equipment.

If a badland has a road from North to south you can enter that hex with a Mech unit only from north or south (so far seems correct). But if you are in such an hex the Mech unit can exit the hex in any direction (this should not be, it should only be able to exit the hex folling the road)

I think I have run the test correctly, and if so I belive is a bug.
Post #: 1
RE: entering exiting a unpasable hexes - 9/11/2008 1:27:55 PM   
Boonierat

Its not really a 'bug' but I know what you mean. Same problem with major rivers with a road running alongside in the same hex.

(in reply to el cid)
Post #: 2
RE: entering exiting a unpasable hexes - 9/11/2008 2:35:37 PM   
ColinWright

It's worth mentioning that supply will behave similarly. A badlands hex adjacent to a non-badlands hex won't show a supply trace -- but a unit in the badlands hex will receive supply.

At least, it would in previous editions of TOAW.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to Boonierat)
Post #: 3
RE: entering exiting a unpasable hexes - 9/12/2008 12:22:30 AM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: Boonierat

Its not really a 'bug' but I know what you mean. Same problem with major rivers with a road running alongside in the same hex.

That's not quite the same since you should be able to exit the river hex into any hex on the same side of the river as the road, even without a road (and vice-versa). Getting the logic right for river hexes would be a chore, since you don't really know how the unit got there. It might have had fording help that's moved on, etc. You can't just assume it entered via the road. So which side of the river is it on?

(in reply to Boonierat)
Post #: 4
RE: entering exiting a unpasable hexes - 9/12/2008 12:56:36 AM   
sPzAbt653

But, a unit in location 1 can move to 2 or 3. From 2 it can go to 1 or 3. From 3 it cannot go to 2. From 3 it can go to 1, but only because I added the little road extension. The issue would seem to be that we should be looking at the hexside, not the river that does not apply to any of the situations here. The same can be done with badlands hexes, because the computer is looking at 'terrain in hex', as opposed to 'terrain thru hexside'. El Cid is correct in these observations, but I would agree it is not a bug, just the way the system operates. If you are in a badlands hex, nothing prevents you moving out of it into a non-restrictive hex. But there are restrictions moving into a hex that contains restrictive terrain.

I think with badlands hexes that supply can be traced into, but not thru, a badlands hex. So the supply trace will not show a value unless the hex is occupied, for some reason.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 5
RE: entering exiting a unpasable hexes - 9/12/2008 8:51:44 AM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653

But, a unit in location 1 can move to 2 or 3. From 2 it can go to 1 or 3. From 3 it cannot go to 2. From 3 it can go to 1, but only because I added the little road extension. The issue would seem to be that we should be looking at the hexside, not the river that does not apply to any of the situations here. The same can be done with badlands hexes, because the computer is looking at 'terrain in hex', as opposed to 'terrain thru hexside'. El Cid is correct in these observations, but I would agree it is not a bug, just the way the system operates. If you are in a badlands hex, nothing prevents you moving out of it into a non-restrictive hex. But there are restrictions moving into a hex that contains restrictive terrain.

I've read this multiple times and I can't make any sense of it. What's the restrictive terrain in that screenshot? We've mentioned badlands & major rivers - I don't see any. What prevents the unit from moving from 3 to 2, or anywhere on that entire shot?

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 6
RE: entering exiting a unpasable hexes - 9/12/2008 1:27:03 PM   
sPzAbt653

Sorry about my oversight Curtis. Hexes 1 and 2 have badlands in them, but I didn't notice that it is hidden by the forest and mud.

Post #: 7
RE: entering exiting a unpasable hexes - 9/2/2009 12:22:48 PM   
DPCop

I might have encountered a similar problem.  One of my armored battalions entered a dunes hex on a road and then chased a (dying) enemy HQ unit into an adjacent sand hex, which happens to have no road and is surrounded by dunes.  Now he has fallen, and he can't get up!  I think that the enemy HQ unit shouldn't have been able to go there, either.

It seems that there should be a check on whether the hex boundary is traversed by a road when EXITING otherwise impassable terrain.

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 8
RE: entering exiting a unpasable hexes - 9/3/2009 10:45:37 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: Boonierat

That's not quite the same since you should be able to exit the river hex into any hex on the same side of the river as the road, even without a road (and vice-versa). Getting the logic right for river hexes would be a chore, since you don't really know how the unit got there. It might have had fording help that's moved on, etc. You can't just assume it entered via the road. So which side of the river is it on?

Not that there aren't plenty of other things to do, but the only way I see of dealing with this would be to have some sort of 'river road' hex type that would allow the designer to specify which side of the river the road was on.

Sounds like a *****, and in any case, there's a half-***ed workaround. Just have all your roads one hex off the river. If you're talking about something like the Nile, that works well enough. Anyway, **** it. I'm going to go have a beer.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> TOAW III Support >> entering exiting a unpasable hexes Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI