Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT - WWII quiz

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: OT - WWII quiz Page: <<   < prev  16 17 [18] 19 20   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 9/11/2008 10:11:07 PM   
brian brian

maybe that one was too hard. It was something I just noticed when re-reading the Churchill volumes but had never heard anywhere else. Churchill tends to go in to too many hypothetical details in those books. Once I tell you what it was, it is pretty obvious.

(in reply to brian brian)
Post #: 511
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 9/14/2008 9:16:02 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: brian brian

maybe that one was too hard. It was something I just noticed when re-reading the Churchill volumes but had never heard anywhere else. Churchill tends to go in to too many hypothetical details in those books. Once I tell you what it was, it is pretty obvious.

Warspite1

I think you should tell us the answer.

Post #: 512
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 9/15/2008 6:46:15 AM   
brian brian

oh, I've been meaning to type in the exact quote from the Churchill, but I am currently reading the subsequent volume and I haven't found it again. Basically Stalin offered to send over the Infantry needed! I had never heard that before. Churchill declined on the basis of not enough available shipping. So then I started thinking ... maybe if I set up the Russian TRS in Murmansk, and ... but really it could never ever work in WiF, but it was fun to ponder the massively alternative history.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 513
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 9/15/2008 9:01:55 AM   
warspite1

quote:

oh, I've been meaning to type in the exact quote from the Churchill, but I am currently reading the subsequent volume and I haven't found it again. Basically Stalin offered to send over the Infantry needed! I had never heard that before. Churchill declined on the basis of not enough available shipping. So then I started thinking ... maybe if I set up the Russian TRS in Murmansk, and ... but really it could never ever work in WiF, but it was fun to ponder the massively alternative history.

Warspite 1

I`ve never heard of that and given that you said he offered the infantry in 1941, I take it he was not being serious - even if it was logistically possible (which I doubt). He should have been more concerned at that time with needing every available man on the Eastern Front...bizarre, no wonder no one got the answer!

You can imagine too, that if it had happened he would have shot any returning Russians afterwards for "collaborating" with the western decadents...

Post #: 514
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 9/15/2008 3:42:10 PM   
Neilster

Stalin, and the Russians in general, lied through their back teeth about almost everything to the Western Allies. They were outrageously paranoid and always tried to skew circumstances so as to complain about their share of the war effort.

In prisoners alone, they lost approximately 3 million soldiers from June 22 1941 to the end of the year. Losses were so heavy that by the Autumn of 1941 new recruits to the Red Army were often given barely any (or no) training at all before being thrown into combat. An offer to provide troops for a second front in 1941 was almost certainly one of Stalin's ruses. There may have been something to it if it occurred very early on (before the horrific losses) but even then, the logistical problems of transporting the tens of thousands of troops to Britain would have been enormous. Would the British have to arm them? They had their hands full producing enough weapons for their own army. If not, all their equipment would need transporting too. Much better to just use them on the Eastern Front. In short, bollocks.

People often talk blithely about unlimited Russian manpower but the facts are otherwise. Apart from the hideous losses in 1941, Stalin insisted on continuing the winter counter-offensive for too long in early 1942 and then the Red Army launched their disastrous and costly Kharkov attack in May 1942, leaving it very short of men for some time. Although the Russians recovered to go over to the general offensive in November 1942 and win great victories in 1943 and 1944 their relatively unsophisticated tactics and general profligacy with regard to casualties meant that by mid 1944 they were running out of men. Although many freed Soviet POWs and forced labourers were sent to the GULAG, most were actually quickly pressed into military service, such was the desperate need to flesh out Red Army formations.

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 515
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 9/15/2008 9:47:29 PM   
Ohio Jones

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ohio Jones

OT - question for the questioners.  Is there a listing somewhere of the names the Germans gave to occupied Soviet towns and cities?  A friend's late father-in-law (an Austrian) served in the Crimea, and there's a picture of him outside a city or town, and the caption on the back refers to it with a German name.  I don't have the picture handy here, but if there's somewhere I can point my friend to in terms of a little research, I know he'd be grateful.  He didn't turn anything up during his own trip to Russia earlier this year...

Thank in advance for any assistance!

Anyone...? Anyone...? Bueller...?

(in reply to Ohio Jones)
Post #: 516
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 9/15/2008 10:04:49 PM   
brian brian

the point Neilster mentions is why it took me so long to give out the answer...I wanted to find it again in the Churchill volume to more precisely date the offer. I think it was early on, like July '41, before the depths of the disaster the Red Army was experiencing were truly known. I'll try and find it again.

Simulating the Manpower pressures on most of the combatants in WWII is the future of developing the realism of WiF...

OK, quiz time...what was the first non-China port used to ship western supplies to China?

(in reply to Ohio Jones)
Post #: 517
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 9/15/2008 11:09:11 PM   
Orm

quote:

the point Neilster mentions is why it took me so long to give out the answer...I wanted to find it again in the Churchill volume to more precisely date the offer. I think it was early on, like July '41, before the depths of the disaster the Red Army was experiencing were truly known. I'll try and find it again.

Simulating the Manpower pressures on most of the combatants in WWII is the future of developing the realism of WiF...

OK, quiz time...what was the first non-China port used to ship western supplies to China?

Hanoi?

-Orm

Post #: 518
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 9/16/2008 3:41:36 AM   
Neilster

quote:

Rangoon?

Cheers, Neilster

Post #: 519
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 9/16/2008 3:50:22 AM   
Neilster

quote:

quote:

OT - question for the questioners.  Is there a listing somewhere of the names the Germans gave to occupied Soviet towns and cities?  A friend's late father-in-law (an Austrian) served in the Crimea, and there's a picture of him outside a city or town, and the caption on the back refers to it with a German name.  I don't have the picture handy here, but if there's somewhere I can point my friend to in terms of a little research, I know he'd be grateful.  He didn't turn anything up during his own trip to Russia earlier this year...

Thank in advance for any assistance!

Anyone...? Anyone...? Bueller...?

Voo-doo economics

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to Ohio Jones)
Post #: 520
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 9/16/2008 5:28:54 AM   
brian brian

Hanoi first, Rangoon later I believe. (The Burma Road had to be built).

Where was the Royal Navy's "Port T" ?

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 521
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 9/16/2008 2:32:36 PM   
brian brian

I'll open two at once now...for the British Army, what was their "first large-scale amphibious assault since the Dardanelles twenty-seven years before?"

Post #: 522
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 9/16/2008 2:54:16 PM   
Neilster

quote:

I'll open two at once now...for the British Army, what was their "first large-scale amphibious assault since the Dardanelles twenty-seven years before?"

Dieppe? Or does Madagascar sneak in there?

Cheers, Neilster

Post #: 523
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 9/16/2008 3:11:56 PM   
brian brian

Madagascar it was. Early May, 1942 I believe. Dieppe was in August.

I thought someone on this forum had mentioned 'Port T' in a map thread.

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 524
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 9/16/2008 8:48:01 PM   
warspite1

quote:

Hanoi first, Rangoon later I believe. (The Burma Road had to be built).

Where was the Royal Navy's "Port T" ?

Warspite1

Trincomalee??

Post #: 525
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 9/16/2008 10:39:16 PM   
brian brian

close. I will say though that even the occasional Ministry of Silly Things British wouldn't use a code name for a location that started with the same letter as the actual location. Or would they? That might be clever. Anyway, it's not Trincomalee.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 526
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 9/17/2008 4:31:39 PM   
Norman42

Their secret base in the Maldives I think.  Male atoll?

-------------

C.L.Norman

Post #: 527
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 9/17/2008 4:38:08 PM   
brian brian

I'm not sure if the "Male" on the WiF map is exactly the same, but yes...Churchill called it "Addu Atoll"

Trick question: who's sea mines did the Gneisenau and Scharnhorst hit at the end of the Channel Dash?

(in reply to Norman42)
Post #: 528
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 9/17/2008 5:42:16 PM   
mlees

quote:

I'm not sure if the "Male" on the WiF map is exactly the same, but yes...Churchill called it "Addu Atoll"

Trick question: who's sea mines did the Gneisenau and Scharnhorst hit at the end of the Channel Dash?

According to this site: http://www.scharnhorst-class.dk/scharnhorst/history/scharncerberus.html , the first mine that the Scharnhorst hit was laid by the RAF. It doesn't mention the nationalities of the other two mines, though.

quote:

But neither Scharnhorst nor Gneisenau had come through the experience unscathed. The trouble had begun at 14:31, shortly before the destroyer attack. Scharnhorst rocked to a violent explosion and all the lights went out. As she was passing the approaches to the Scheldt, Scharnhorst was mined in compartment XVI. The mine was laid by the RAF 36 hours earlier. The engines stopped at once and she swung out of line.

Post #: 529
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 9/17/2008 7:11:46 PM   
Neilster

quote:

ORIGINAL: mlees

quote:

According to this site: http://www.scharnhorst-class.dk/scharnhorst/history/scharncerberus.html , the first mine that the Scharnhorst hit was laid by the RAF. It doesn't mention the nationalities of the other two mines, though.

quote:

But neither Scharnhorst nor Gneisenau had come through the experience unscathed. The trouble had begun at 14:31, shortly before the destroyer attack. Scharnhorst rocked to a violent explosion and all the lights went out. As she was passing the approaches to the Scheldt, Scharnhorst was mined in compartment XVI. The mine was laid by the RAF 36 hours earlier. The engines stopped at once and she swung out of line.

What happened to the "no looking stuff up" gentlemen's agreement?

I see what's happened. This WW2 quiz has turned into a "Total War" quiz! Any ruthless method of answering is now being used. It's a quiz "with the gloves off" etc etc. Soon boys as young as 12 will be fighting for answers and women (err...maybe your wife, sister or mother) will be drafted into the struggle.

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to mlees)
Post #: 530
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 9/17/2008 8:13:28 PM   
brian brian

since it is a trick question, reference materials would have been fine. Churchill ascribes the mines to his side. Other writers have said some of the hits (I think there were three total, 2 on the Scharnhorst and one on the Gneisenau) were inside of German minefields. Tricky stuff, navigating a minefield.

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 531
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 9/18/2008 7:30:34 AM   
warspite1

quote:

close. I will say though that even the occasional Ministry of Silly Things British wouldn't use a code name for a location that started with the same letter as the actual location. Or would they? That might be clever. Anyway, it's not Trincomalee.

Warspite1

I dont think my guess was as silly as its sounds as you did not say it was a code name. A simple letter is a lot easier than saying Trincomalee when you`re in a hurry! Oh well it was worth a try.

Post #: 532
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 9/19/2008 1:49:20 AM   
michaelbaldur

quote:

ORIGINAL: Neilster

quote:

ORIGINAL: mlees

quote:

quote:

What happened to the "no looking stuff up" gentlemen's agreement?

I see what's happened. This WW2 quiz has turned into a "Total War" quiz! Any ruthless method of answering is now being used. It's a quiz "with the gloves off" etc etc. Soon boys as young as 12 will be fighting for answers and women (err...maybe your wife, sister or mother) will be drafted into the struggle.

Cheers, Neilster

agree .... it´s to easy to Google the answers on the net ... book ... that is a gentleman tool ....

the wif rulebook is my bible

I work hard, not smart.

beta tester and Mwif expert

if you have questions or issues with the game, just contact me on Michaelbaldur1@gmail.com

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 533
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 9/19/2008 5:19:05 AM   
Neilster

Speaking of gentlemen's tools (stop that sniggering you boys in the back row!), I think these would be acceptable to use. It's a functioning PC. The "book" is actually a flatbed scanner.

I'm quite interested in this steampunk stuff. Part of the philosophy is that objects used to be made to last and could be repaired or modified. The exact opposite is the case with most electronic devices and steampunk computing is a reaction against that. It attempts to reconcile the feel of solidity and quality of brass, wood and leather with the latest technology.

Cheers, Neilster

Attachment (1)

(in reply to michaelbaldur)
Post #: 534
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 9/19/2008 5:22:59 AM   
Neilster

Here is another. These keyboards are made by modifying PC ones with, amongst other things, keys from old manual typewriters.

Cheers, Neilster

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 535
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 9/19/2008 5:25:49 AM   
Neilster

And another. Something else I like about this stuff is that they often use salvaged materials.

Cheers, Neilster

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 536
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 9/19/2008 5:27:07 AM   
Neilster

And here's an amazing mouse.

Cheers, Neilster

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 537
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 9/19/2008 5:41:13 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Neilster

And another. Something else I like about this stuff is that they often use salvaged materials.

Cheers, Neilster

Very nice. Thanks for the picture.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 538
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 9/19/2008 2:36:38 PM   
composer99

Time to see if I can get one at the office.

~ Composer99

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 539
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 9/19/2008 3:03:14 PM   
mlees

My Apologies. I did not know there was an agreement not to look stuff up on the net. (I didn't start reading the thread until about a page ago.)

There is another web forum that I participate in that expects "cites" to back up assurtions, so now I link to reference sources out of habit.

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 540
Page:   <<   < prev  16 17 [18] 19 20   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: OT - WWII quiz Page: <<   < prev  16 17 [18] 19 20   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI