Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: WitPTracker 1.2

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: WitPTracker 1.2 Page: <<   < prev  16 17 [18] 19 20   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: WitPTracker 1.2 - 9/14/2008 12:52:09 PM   
n01487477

If you go to the first page of my AAR I give a bit of a mini-tutorial on how to do it ...

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1822230

I'd be careful using another mod's clusters to base your mod ... It may cause some problems, I'd rather you start from the beginning and make your own. I know it is a hassle, but this is the best way to stop any unexpected problems ...

If you complete it, send it back to us (email) and we can include it for others to use ... Also with what map you are using...(there are 3 different maps, hence three different cluster that could be made)

Sorry I haven't got around to doing this cluster...

[edit] but I will have a look at RHS as soon as I can...

< Message edited by n01487477 -- 9/14/2008 1:00:38 PM >

(in reply to BigBadWolf)
Post #: 511
RE: WitPTracker 1.2 - 9/14/2008 1:09:19 PM   
Mistmatz

Seems I was a bitt to quick mentioning that it works with RHSCVO. It works pretty much but I found some inconsistencies.

For example in menu air production, column Avail yy/mm shows 39/1 for the Corsair I. I checked in WitP itself, the availibility here is far later (cant remember exact date). The amount of unrepaired factories and the factory location are ok though.

So I did a fresh install of the tracker and found out there is an error message at the beginning. Eventually this messes something up, but as tracker lives out of a save file and not the scenario data I'm puzzled how I could try to repair that. The error message is:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 512
RE: WitPTracker 1.2 - 9/14/2008 1:26:38 PM   
n01487477

Thanks Mistmatz,
the error should not stop the program working, but Floyd will have to look at changing the code for that shipClass ...

I am looking at CVO 7.7975 now, and I see that the Corsair has indeed the wrong date (shows 0/0)... I've checked it out it seems that the dates are wrong from the 76th entry (RN Carrier Aircraft) in the database editor. I'll see if I can fix that somehow and get it to Floyd before the next update.

I was going to do a quick cluster file for map level 7, if I can ... I'm hoping it will work with all the Map lvl 7 mods...

(in reply to Mistmatz)
Post #: 513
RE: WitPTracker 1.2 - 9/14/2008 1:31:59 PM   
n01487477

Ok just used the RHSEEO cluster file which comes with Tracker and apart from 2 small errors which you can fix, this seems to be an ok template to start out with ... (for Lvl 7 maps at least)

< Message edited by n01487477 -- 9/14/2008 5:55:04 PM >

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 514
RE: WitPTracker 1.2 - 9/14/2008 1:39:35 PM   
ny59giants

quote:

Ok just used the RHSEEO cluster file which comes with Tracker and apart from 2 small errors which you can fix, this seems to be an ok tenplate to start out with ... (for Lvl 7 maps at least)

I did that cluster, so if there are only two errors, thats not bad for a non-union worker that gets lousy pay.

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 515
RE: WitPTracker 1.2 - 9/14/2008 1:48:38 PM   
n01487477

Not your errors Michael, the errors are about different Uppercase letters for 2 bases ... I'll give you 100% of what I get for doing this ...

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 516
RE: WitPTracker 1.2 - 9/14/2008 1:48:53 PM   
BigBadWolf

quote:

ORIGINAL: n01487477

If you go to the first page of my AAR I give a bit of a mini-tutorial on how to do it ...

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1822230

I'd be careful using another mod's clusters to base your mod ... It may cause some problems, I'd rather you start from the beginning and make your own. I know it is a hassle, but this is the best way to stop any unexpected problems ...

If you complete it, send it back to us (email) and we can include it for others to use ... Also with what map you are using...(there are 3 different maps, hence three different cluster that could be made)

Sorry I haven't got around to doing this cluster...

[edit] but I will have a look at RHS as soon as I can...

I have it almost done, started from scratch last nigh. Just need to tweak it a bit.

Bako can be put in Formosa region, right? It has HCF to the island, so resources should flow freely?

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 517
RE: WitPTracker 1.2 - 9/14/2008 2:19:03 PM   
n01487477

quote:

For example in menu air production, column Avail yy/mm shows 39/1 for the Corsair I. I checked in WitP itself, the availability here is far later (cant remember exact date). The amount of unrepaired factories and the factory location are ok though.

Found the problem and have sent the code changes, hopefully this will now be fixed ... sloppy programming on my part again ... lucky I'm NOT doing it for $$

BBW - good to see your perseverance ... enjoy your game and let us know if there are any other issues.

(in reply to Mistmatz)
Post #: 518
RE: WitPTracker 1.2 - 9/14/2008 4:26:11 PM   
eloso

I had some wierd kind of glitch with my monitor Friday night. I have a dual-boot OS with XP pro on one partition and Vista Ultimate on the other. I do most of my work in XP pro where War in the Pacific and the Tracker are installed. I wanted to play a directX 10 game Friday night so I rebooted into Vista and for some reason it didn't like my monitor anymore. It was a 22" LCD with a native resolution of 1650x1080. The resolution wouldn't go any higher than 1024x768 so I did some trouble shooting. I tried reinstalling the drivers for the monitor and the GPU. I then thought about using system restore. Beware of using this with a dual OS system. Vista only keeps a small amount of restore points and according to the online documentation if you have XP on the same system it will in a sense overwrite them. When I tried to install the drivers, the manufacturer's installation program automatically installed them onto the XP partition. I contacted Viewsonic Saturday morning only to get a run-around. Finally, I was told that they don't support a dual OS.

What does this have to do with Tracker you might be wondering? As a last ditch effort to fix this problem I restored the PC to a restore point a week prior when I knew the monitor worked in Vista, but I did it in XP because I didn't have a restore point that was more than a few hours old in Vista. That didn't fix the problem. I had to replace the monitor with a different brand. When I loaded my new turn into the tracker the system restore seemed to have lost all the turns I had processed in the past week. I don't know if there is a way for you guys to program this so the files aren't restored. I just started over with my tracking from my current turn. It isn't a big deal but I wanted others to be aware that they need to back up their tracker files to external media before the do a system restore.

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 519
RE: WitPTracker 1.2 - 9/14/2008 5:22:28 PM   
floydg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mistmatz

Seems I was a bitt to quick mentioning that it works with RHSCVO. It works pretty much but I found some inconsistencies.

For example in menu air production, column Avail yy/mm shows 39/1 for the Corsair I. I checked in WitP itself, the availibility here is far later (cant remember exact date). The amount of unrepaired factories and the factory location are ok though.

So I did a fresh install of the tracker and found out there is an error message at the beginning. Eventually this messes something up, but as tracker lives out of a save file and not the scenario data I'm puzzled how I could try to repair that. The error message is:

Looks like these guys have an endurance of 48864. Is that right? If so, then I'll have to bump up the database column size for this.

(in reply to Mistmatz)
Post #: 520
RE: WitPTracker 1.2 - 9/14/2008 5:35:24 PM   
n01487477

This is from RHS CVO 7.7975 ... I loaded this scenario with no problems (both sides) ... so unless I am using the wrong scenario or Mistmatz has a different mod ...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to floydg)
Post #: 521
RE: WitPTracker 1.2 - 9/14/2008 6:12:06 PM   
ny59giants

Damian,

What do you think of the level 7 maps??

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 522
RE: WitPTracker 1.2 - 9/14/2008 7:09:35 PM   
floydg

quote:

This is from RHS CVO 7.7975 ... I loaded this scenario with no problems (both sides) ... so unless I am using the wrong scenario or Mistmatz has a different mod ...

What is in ID 871? I think that's where this record is coming from. I also noticed the availability date is off (your screenshot shows 11/43, but the record shows 7/43)...

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 523
RE: WitPTracker 1.2 - 9/14/2008 7:11:46 PM   
floydg

quote:

ORIGINAL: OSO

What does this have to do with Tracker you might be wondering? As a last ditch effort to fix this problem I restored the PC to a restore point a week prior when I knew the monitor worked in Vista, but I did it in XP because I didn't have a restore point that was more than a few hours old in Vista. That didn't fix the problem. I had to replace the monitor with a different brand. When I loaded my new turn into the tracker the system restore seemed to have lost all the turns I had processed in the past week. I don't know if there is a way for you guys to program this so the files aren't restored. I just started over with my tracking from my current turn. It isn't a big deal but I wanted others to be aware that they need to back up their tracker files to external media before the do a system restore.

I'm not sure what you're asking here.

(in reply to eloso)
Post #: 524
RE: WitPTracker 1.2 - 9/14/2008 9:46:26 PM   
eloso

For example I can create a document in any software. Save it. Restore the OS using system restore and the document doesn't get changed or destroyed. In the case of tracker, the data was reverted back by the system restore function. I don't really expect you guys to change the code for something like this. But users should be aware that they need to back up the database created by the tracker to external media to avoid the problem.

(in reply to floydg)
Post #: 525
RE: WitPTracker 1.2 - 9/14/2008 10:44:55 PM   
Mistmatz

quote:

ORIGINAL: floydg

quote:

... screenie removed ...

Looks like these guys have an endurance of 48864. Is that right? If so, then I'll have to bump up the database column size for this.

floydg, I checked the WITPcls070.csv file I generated with WitPload. It seems that this vessel in fact has an endurance of 48864. This is the highest number for endurance in that file. Runner up are three entries, each with 32750, which also may be too high but I guess the maximum is the important information for you.

Thanks floydg and n01487477 for working on the problems so quickly and efficiently.

(in reply to floydg)
Post #: 526
RE: WitPTracker 1.2 - 9/15/2008 1:32:33 AM   
floydg

quote:

ORIGINAL: OSO

For example I can create a document in any software. Save it. Restore the OS using system restore and the document doesn't get changed or destroyed. In the case of tracker, the data was reverted back by the system restore function. I don't really expect you guys to change the code for something like this. But users should be aware that they need to back up the database created by the tracker to external media to avoid the problem.

Okay, now I understand. It seems the restore only leaves "document" files un-molested. It must think that the trackerdb files are not documents.

It appears that there is some way to specifically exclude these files, but I'm not really a Windows expert (and only tried a restore once on my father's hopelessly hosed PC). Some reference here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms997627.aspx

Floyd

(in reply to eloso)
Post #: 527
RE: WitPTracker 1.2 - 9/15/2008 1:33:03 AM   
n01487477

Mistmatz,
where did you get this mod ? What version are you running ? The only concern I have is that the file is somehow corrupted and hence giving wrong information, although I doubt it ... I'd just like to double check everything. Can you send me the scenario files please ... or give us a screen shot of the ship class (like I did in the database editor)

Floyd,
yeah the information is all I could find about it, and I did look at 871, there is nothing there in my version of the mod.

Michael,
the map is golden, glad AE will implement something like it ...

--Damian--

< Message edited by n01487477 -- 9/15/2008 1:47:57 AM >

(in reply to Mistmatz)
Post #: 528
RE: WitPTracker 1.2 - 9/15/2008 4:32:52 PM   
BigBadWolf

Should I be seeing this?I'm playing as Japan

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 529
RE: WitPTracker 1.2 - 9/15/2008 10:15:54 PM   
Mistmatz

quote:

Mistmatz,
where did you get this mod ? What version are you running ? The only concern I have is that the file is somehow corrupted and hence giving wrong information, although I doubt it ... I'd just like to double check everything. Can you send me the scenario files please ... or give us a screen shot of the ship class (like I did in the database editor)

Floyd,
yeah the information is all I could find about it, and I did look at 871, there is nothing there in my version of the mod.

Michael,

--Damian--

Damian, I got the files from the RHS primary distributon list, so they are directly from the source. The version is RHSCVO 7.946. Attached a screenshot of the class with endurance 48864. Obviously there is an overflow if displayed with the editor V6. Question is how WitP itself handles this number...

EDIT: The runner ups with endurance of 32750 are displayed ok, so its just this class.
EDIT2: Just checked the cls file again and it states 48864 in that particular field (as recognized by WitP tracker).

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Mistmatz -- 9/15/2008 10:31:27 PM >

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 530
RE: WitPTracker 1.2 - 9/15/2008 10:47:28 PM   
Mistmatz

Something totally different...

I thought about user friendliness and things I miss in the tracker and had those ideas. Didn't read every earlier posting, so if this has been mentioned just ignore it.

- Aircraft comparison currently offers comparison of two planes, why not widen that to three or four. Alphabetical sorting of types would also be nice.

- Unless I know the class of an opponent vessel it's not possible to check out the stats as 'ships' shows only own vessels (correct due to the information provided in this sheet). Some information sheet would be nice showing all opposing vessel names and their class. Otoh this might give useful information away you wouldn't have if you just look at your own side of the game, so maybe better not.

(in reply to Mistmatz)
Post #: 531
RE: WitPTracker 1.2 - 9/15/2008 11:34:27 PM   
floydg

quote:

ORIGINAL: BigBadWolf

Should I be seeing this?I'm playing as Japan

No, and this will be fixed in the next release (no filtering by side and only your side will be shown).

Floyd

(in reply to BigBadWolf)
Post #: 532
RE: WitPTracker 1.2 - 9/15/2008 11:38:15 PM   
floydg

quote:

quote:

Mistmatz,

Floyd,

Michael,

--Damian--

Damian, I got the files from the RHS primary distributon list, so they are directly from the source. The version is RHSCVO 7.946. Attached a screenshot of the class with endurance 48864. Obviously there is an overflow if displayed with the editor V6. Question is how WitP itself handles this number...

EDIT: The runner ups with endurance of 32750 are displayed ok, so its just this class.
EDIT2: Just checked the cls file again and it states 48864 in that particular field (as recognized by WitP tracker).

Yeah, if the value is < 32768, it should show up okay. And also this is the limit in the WitPTracker, due to the data field size I chose for Endurance (16-bit signed). I will need to expand this in the next release.

(in reply to Mistmatz)
Post #: 533
RE: WitPTracker 1.2 - 9/15/2008 11:46:24 PM   
floydg

quote:

Something totally different...

I thought about user friendliness and things I miss in the tracker and had those ideas. Didn't read every earlier posting, so if this has been mentioned just ignore it.

- Aircraft comparison currently offers comparison of two planes, why not widen that to three or four. Alphabetical sorting of types would also be nice.

Yes, this was previously requested (multiple compares). This screen is tedious work, so it's at the bottom of my "want to do" list...
The types are in numerical order they appear in the save file. Although that's not a good excuse for me to shirk. I'll take a look.

quote:

- Unless I know the class of an opponent vessel it's not possible to check out the stats as 'ships' shows only own vessels (correct due to the information provided in this sheet). Some information sheet would be nice showing all opposing vessel names and their class. Otoh this might give useful information away you wouldn't have if you just look at your own side of the game, so maybe better not.

It doesn't look like the game readily gives that info. I suppose you could fire up the editor to see it -- I wonder if WitPLoad or any of the other extraction tools list the opposing ships with classes...

(in reply to Mistmatz)
Post #: 534
RE: WitPTracker 1.2 - 9/16/2008 9:21:17 AM   
Ambassador

Hi,

I have two minor "bugs" to report, two suggestions to make, and one question to ask.

And one more, maybe unrealistic, idea.

In the Alert panel, the Turn number column is still sorted "as text", not "as number".

That is, when you sort it, you get something like this :

instead of a more normal :

It's not important, but it nearly made me read a turn twice, thinking it didn't work the first time.

Another glitch. In the Ship Repair panel, the Port tab show a slightly delayed situation. It lists ships berthed in port for a few turns after they left in a TF, and it needs several turns to show newly docked/anchored ships.

An interesting addition to this same panel/tab would be the durability of each ship, shown in the table in addition to the damage of the ships. WitPTracker already shows the total durability of the damaged ships, but if this could be given for each ship individually, it'd be IMVHO better.

Another "relatively simple" suggestion, I believe : some more comments column (like in the ships sunk tab). Not everywhere, but at least in the Turn List box, as well as the LCU, Ship & Air Group panels.

Lastly, the question. I haven't found the number of sorties made by each side. Is it already implemented, or not yet ? If it is, could you tell me where to find it ?

Thx,
Ambassador

As for the maybe unrealistic idea, it concerns the combat reports. Do you plan to include a panel listing all combats, split in various tabs according to the type (land, air, naval, naval bombardment and air bombardment).
I don't know if the combat report is included in the save in addition, or if it would need to refer to the combat report file.

The various tabs could be filtered by turn, location, maybe size of the opposing forces (in scales, like 1-99 AV, 100-199 AV, 200-499 AV, 500-999 AV, 1000-1999 AV, 2000+ AV for ground forces). The table could include, for example of land combat, force composition (men, guns, vehicle), max AV, adjusted AV for both sides, odds, reduction of forts, casualties (men/guns/vehicles) for each side, and whether there's a surrender, a retreat or a capture of a base.

I don't know if all this is possible, it's merely an idea I had. If not possible or too difficult, just turn it down.

(in reply to floydg)
Post #: 535
RE: WitPTracker 1.2 - 9/16/2008 10:04:17 AM   
Mistmatz

quote:

quote:

It doesn't look like the game readily gives that info. I suppose you could fire up the editor to see it -- I wonder if WitPLoad or any of the other extraction tools list the opposing ships with classes...

quote:

ring by side and only your side will be shown).

Floyd

Yeah, it's not readily in the game but of course you have the ship class information if you extract scenario data with witpload and do the reference between the ship and the class file. Also you can fire up the scenario on the opponent side and look it up. So there are ways but they are not easy.

I like the 'policy' that WitP tracker doesn't give away info that's not accessible in the WitP itself, so maybe it's ok to skip this information.
There is also another impact, if I know how many vessels of a kind I already sunk I can substract that from the total list and with the given date I know exactely what assets my opponent has. I don't know the status of the assets but the numbers are valuable intelligence already.
I'm not sure that this information should be in the hand of the opposing party. But then many cracks on this forum know every fishing boat that was in the pacific at that time, so maybe it's fair to give the casual player this kind of information as well.

I'm really undecided in this regard, so I'm happy with whatever is (not) implemented.

(in reply to floydg)
Post #: 536
RE: WitPTracker 1.2 - 9/16/2008 1:34:07 PM   
floydg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ambassador

Hi,

I have two minor "bugs" to report, two suggestions to make, and one question to ask.

And one more, maybe unrealistic, idea.

See below...

quote:

In the Alert panel, the Turn number column is still sorted "as text", not "as number".

That is, when you sort it, you get something like this :

instead of a more normal :

It's not important, but it nearly made me read a turn twice, thinking it didn't work the first time.

Are you sure you're using the latest version? I thought that I fixed this a while back. If the text in a cell is right-justified, it will sort numerically and if it's left-justified, it will use an ASCII string sort. Typically.

quote:

Another glitch. In the Ship Repair panel, the Port tab show a slightly delayed situation. It lists ships berthed in port for a few turns after they left in a TF, and it needs several turns to show newly docked/anchored ships.

It seems that you need to re-start the program for the port-based view to refresh.

quote:

An interesting addition to this same panel/tab would be the durability of each ship, shown in the table in addition to the damage of the ships. WitPTracker already shows the total durability of the damaged ships, but if this could be given for each ship individually, it'd be IMVHO better.

Good idea. I'll try to add that in.

quote:

Another "relatively simple" suggestion, I believe : some more comments column (like in the ships sunk tab). Not everywhere, but at least in the Turn List box, as well as the LCU, Ship & Air Group panels.

I have it in ships, sunk ships and victory points. I can add it to LCU and Air Groups.

quote:

Lastly, the question. I haven't found the number of sorties made by each side. Is it already implemented, or not yet ? If it is, could you tell me where to find it ?

I didn't add that in. If it's helpful, I can add it.

quote:

As for the maybe unrealistic idea, it concerns the combat reports. Do you plan to include a panel listing all combats, split in various tabs according to the type (land, air, naval, naval bombardment and air bombardment).
I don't know if the combat report is included in the save in addition, or if it would need to refer to the combat report file.

The various tabs could be filtered by turn, location, maybe size of the opposing forces (in scales, like 1-99 AV, 100-199 AV, 200-499 AV, 500-999 AV, 1000-1999 AV, 2000+ AV for ground forces). The table could include, for example of land combat, force composition (men, guns, vehicle), max AV, adjusted AV for both sides, odds, reduction of forts, casualties (men/guns/vehicles) for each side, and whether there's a surrender, a retreat or a capture of a base.

I don't know if all this is possible, it's merely an idea I had. If not possible or too difficult, just turn it down.

The combat report information is only in the text file, not in the save game file. Maybe some day we'll read the text files.

Floyd

(in reply to Ambassador)
Post #: 537
RE: WitPTracker 1.2 - 9/16/2008 2:33:02 PM   
n01487477

quote:

quote:

I know Floyd knows this, just for new players ...

Yes a good addition, but remember each durability has an additional 20, when in repair ports ...
quote:

from Dtravel
Shipyard Repair uses Repair Points equal to the ship’s Durability +20. I.E., a DUR 5 DD will use 25 Repair Points, a DUR 120 CV will use 140. This is confirmed from actual play, the manual is incorrect on this point.

(in reply to floydg)
Post #: 538
RE: WitPTracker 1.2 - 9/16/2008 2:38:47 PM   
Ambassador

quote:

Are you sure you're using the latest version? I thought that I fixed this a while back. If the text in a cell is right-justified, it will sort numerically and if it's left-justified, it will use an ASCII string sort. Typically.

I'm using the version I downloaded a few days ago, maybe a week. I made sure to make a full fresh install of the program, starting a new database rather than converting the previous one (as my game was only five turns old anyway).

I'll make a new install to check with a new game then. Am I assuming correctly that the program may be installed several times on the same computer, without any problem, to keep track of different games ?

quote:

It seems that you need to re-start the program for the port-based view to refresh.

Oh, ok. Thank you.

quote:

Good idea. I'll try to add that in.

Fine, glad to help.

quote:

I have it in ships, sunk ships and victory points. I can add it to LCU and Air Groups.

I saw it in the sunk ships and VPs, not in ships. It'd be helpful for OOB organization in the LCU/Air groups.

quote:

I didn't add that in. If it's helpful, I can add it.

It's not important, mostly for pure information about "global air balance". And the ratio of losses, especially operational, compared to #sorties.

quote:

The combat report information is only in the text file, not in the save game file. Maybe some day we'll read the text files.

Floyd

I feared that first part of your answer, but the second is hopeful.

(in reply to floydg)
Post #: 539
RE: WitPTracker 1.2 - 9/19/2008 6:12:14 PM   
BigBadWolf

Is there a way to reload the turn already in the tracker? I run the turn, then saved it and loaded it via multi turn loader. Then I went back and worked on it, and would like to load it again.

(in reply to Ambassador)
Post #: 540
Page:   <<   < prev  16 17 [18] 19 20   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: WitPTracker 1.2 Page: <<   < prev  16 17 [18] 19 20   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI