Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

A few suggestions for entrenchments

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> A few suggestions for entrenchments Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
A few suggestions for entrenchments - 10/6/2008 6:38:00 PM   
JadeKing

In my experience trenches are a little too overpowered for the human player. They absorb a lot of damage, and they are very quick to build. So if you have just one unit with this ability, you can quickly dug in and kill a good deal of the enemy's troops behind these fortifications. I would like to see the damage they absorb be tuned down a little, and make them longer to conctruct. Maybe three turns for one line of entrenchment. This will make it more important to have multiple units with this ability, as now one is really all you need, as he can usually build up the defences alone before the enemy reach you. Or maybe you could make it so a fatigued brigade isnt able to construct another fortification, before it has recovered its freshness or is unfatigued.

I would also like to make it harder for troops to regain their fatigue in general. Maybe a whole day. Again to make entrenchments more costly, and to give a more severe handicap to army's that have marched before a battle or do it in a battle.

Post #: 1
RE: A few suggestions for entrenchments - 10/10/2008 5:06:15 AM   
Gil R.

Thanks for the feedback, which we'll taking under advisement.

Remember, though, that some field fortifications could be put together relatively quickly -- as the war progressed, troops became very good at doing this sort of thing quite efficiently.

(in reply to JadeKing)
Post #: 2
RE: A few suggestions for entrenchments - 10/10/2008 8:10:53 AM   
haruntaiwan

In my experience, one unit can only help entrench maybe 2 sides of three hexes before they are exhausted and can no longer do this.

And I just had the AI do some surprise attacks in Fredericksburg just to get around this problem.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 3
RE: A few suggestions for entrenchments - 10/18/2008 3:01:50 PM   
JadeKing

I just tried buying a lot of pioneers for my brigades in the battle of Fredericksburg. I was succesful in building entrenches everytime I tried, and It didnt matter if the brigade was fatigued or not. I have had the same experience with brigades with the diggers ability, so is everything working as intended?

(in reply to haruntaiwan)
Post #: 4
RE: A few suggestions for entrenchments - 10/19/2008 5:55:01 PM   
JadeKing

Ok. It seems that there are a max number of entrenches that a brigade can build. But how is this determined? Is it dependent on the strenght and quality of a unit? CSA brigades seems to be able to build a lot more fortification than the US, in the opening battle of the July scenario.

(in reply to JadeKing)
Post #: 5
RE: A few suggestions for entrenchments - 10/19/2008 6:36:20 PM   
jkBluesman

Well it depends on the units, how many of them have diggers or pioniers, so as the Southern troops got more of that in the July scenario (depending on the generals) they are able to entrench more.

"War is the field of chance."
Carl von Clausewitz

(in reply to JadeKing)
Post #: 6
RE: A few suggestions for entrenchments - 10/20/2008 3:28:42 AM   
haruntaiwan

I didn't know Pioneers could build entrenchments. Cool.

Can Engineers?

(in reply to jkBluesman)
Post #: 7
RE: A few suggestions for entrenchments - 10/20/2008 11:16:50 AM   
JadeKing

I still think quality and/or strength has something to say. When I use a US or CSA brigade with just one pioneer, the CSA brigade with its higher strength and quality, usually is able to build more fortifications than the US brigade. But I still dont understand why a brigade suddenly isnt able to build any more during a battle. Even when they become unfatigued, they wont build any more fortifications after some time. Is there a max number any brigade can build, and if there is, how is this then calculated?

(in reply to jkBluesman)
Post #: 8
RE: A few suggestions for entrenchments - 10/20/2008 11:24:14 AM   
JadeKing

Engineers can't build them. But I also think the cost of pioneers should be increased with this extra ability. An entrenchment can save you up to 200 less casulties in a fire fight under some circumstances. So they are good value for 20 money and 20 horses

(in reply to haruntaiwan)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> A few suggestions for entrenchments Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI