Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: English is Easy?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: English is Easy? Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: English is Easy? - 10/12/2008 10:25:14 PM   
cdbeck

Ok, my only political commentary.

I think its funny that a person from the country of Juan and Eva Peron is lecturing anyone on the ethics of nations. Puh-leese.

Denigrating the service record of the armed forces here is a dangrous thing to do.

If you ask current West Germans if they appreciated Nato, and American, troops stationed in their lands for over 30 years, you will get a near resounding "Ja!" No one was soliciting thanks for this sort of thing. America shouldn't be given full credit for "saving the world," but it was, to a large extent, the diplomatic efforts of presidents such as Nixon and Reagan that allowed for democratic regimes to triumph over international communist ones. Did the west also sponsor dictatorial regimes, particularly in South America? You betcha. But at the time, this seemed to be the best course of action, although it seems abominable now. Hard to say what had happened if these actions had not been taken.

Lastly, I doubt the Soviet Union actually had the strength to pull off what you are arguing above. Historians mostly assert now that Soviet strength was more of a paper tiger than once thought, and that there was less central control of the Soviet military than once believed. Double agents, particularly Aldrich Ames, were responsible for extending the length of the cold war and exaggerating Soviet readiness and military strength. They may have been powerful, but they were in no way as strong as we believed in the 70s-80s.

SoM

"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet!"
(Kill them all. God will know his own.)

-- Arnaud-Armaury, the Albigensian Crusade

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 151
RE: English is Easy? - 10/12/2008 10:55:09 PM   
06 Maestro

Ike 99

Well; when the "ball goes UP", all bets are off. If they were UPtty enough to think they could have achieved surprise, and they did, then they may have "succeeded". If we, and the German Army ( a very well trained, equipped and motivated force) had a chance to deploy, they would have bled dearly. With the use of tactical nukes, they would have been stopped dead. If anyone resorted to strategic nukes, escalation would likely have been rapid and disastrous for the world-perhaps the very end of western civilization. If they actually planned on preliminary strategic nuclear strikes, that just shows how insane they were. Fortunately, the Russians were not willing to destroy the earth for some archaic belief as (oops, slapping my fingers-almost screwed UP).

I doubt there were many who had visions of any meaningful victory, or survival. I remember the red alert during the Yom Kippur war. It took the smile off everyones face real fast. The WP boys were gearing UP also. Perhaps the time of year (bad flying weather for ground support, muddy ground) of that event stopped a possible clash. The world was close to "giving UP the ghost" in October of '73. It would be a good setting for a war game.

BTW, what's UP with your links? Those titles look interesting, but are not active.

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 152
RE: English is Easy? - 10/12/2008 10:59:17 PM   
SireChaos

quote:

ORIGINAL: Son_of_Montfort

Ok, my only political commentary.

I think its funny that a person from the country of Juan and Eva Peron is lecturing anyone on the ethics of nations. Puh-leese.

Denigrating the service record of the armed forces here is a dangrous thing to do.

If you ask current West Germans if they appreciated Nato, and American, troops stationed in their lands for over 30 years, you will get a near resounding "Ja!" No one was soliciting thanks for this sort of thing. America shouldn't be given full credit for "saving the world," but it was, to a large extent, the diplomatic efforts of presidents such as Nixon and Reagan that allowed for democratic regimes to triumph over international communist ones. Did the west also sponsor dictatorial regimes, particularly in South America? You betcha. But at the time, this seemed to be the best course of action, although it seems abominable now. Hard to say what had happened if these actions had not been taken.

As I said - enlightened self-interest. Sadly, in some cases, not so enlightened, and I think you will find that these are the cases which draw the majority of the criticism. Those, and the people who demand that the US be eternally celebrated as heroes for exercising said enlightened self-interest.

quote:

Lastly, I doubt the Soviet Union actually had the strength to pull off what you are arguing above. Historians mostly assert now that Soviet strength was more of a paper tiger than once thought, and that there was less central control of the Soviet military than once believed. Double agents, particularly Aldrich Ames, were responsible for extending the length of the cold war and exaggerating Soviet readiness and military strength. They may have been powerful, but they were in no way as strong as we believed in the 70s-80s.

SoM

Hell, yes. By the accounts, East Germany was among the healthier Warsaw Pact economies, and... well, I´ve been there several times shortly after the Wall fell, and, let´s say, I was not impressed. Downtrodden, backwards, in disrepair, derelict... you´ll have to excuse me, English is not my first language and I´m running out of applicable terms.

(in reply to cdbeck)
Post #: 153
RE: English is Easy? - 10/12/2008 11:08:32 PM   
ilovestrategy

My wife is Filipino and she told me that English is one(bad word goes here!) up language!

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to Toby42)
Post #: 154
RE: English is Easy? - 10/12/2008 11:09:04 PM   
Doggie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lützow

I think you're wrong here.

Hey what do I know? I was only there at the time.

quote:

Not tanks or soldiers saved us from another great tragedy, but nuclear deterrence.

Did you know that American nuclear weapons were stored near Erwin Rommel's home town of Herrlingen? I did. And so did the Russians. There was something called the Soviet Military Laison Mission in West Germany at the time, and their job was to find out stuff like that. They knew to within one hundred meters where every nuclear device in Western Europe was kept. How long do you think a German owned "nuclear deterrent" would have lasted?

The "nuclear deterrant" was located in the fields of Iowa and under the North Atlantic. You think Jimmy Carter would have risked a retaliatory strike on Washington, D.C. because Russian troops were over running a West Germany where all the "obolete" American troops had been withdrawn? An act of war like seizing the United States embassy in Iran wasn't enough to get Jimmy Carter to do anything.

The "detterent" to invading West Germany was the fact that it couldn't be done without going over the dead bodies of about half a million American "human shields". Human sheilds who put their asses where their mouths were.

quote:

Regarding conventional warfare the Sovjets had outnumbered NATO forces by far and probably crossed the Rhine before your 300k soldiers even knew what happened.

Just like Iraqi troops using Soviet equipment and Soviet doctrine walked all over American troops in Iraq, right?

quote:

My reasoning here was just, that merely allied restrictions in terms of German rearmament made American presence necessary.

Allied restrictions on German re armqament are the only reason Germany still exists. An announcement about a Bundeswehr atomic weapons program in 1950 would have been the first page in the history of World War III.

quote:

Aside of this I respect those GI's serving in Germany during Cold War. It was a retired US army Sergeant who instructed me at shooting range and I'm not biased toward your country at all. However, what made me upset and interfere with this thread is rather your arrogant attitude, conjuring the picture of the obnoxious American. Maybe you should contemplate before insulting people.

Yes, I understand that interjecting facts into left wing fantasies is considered "arrogant". After all, some Green Party college boy born a decade after I left cold war Germany knows a hell of a lot more about it than I do. And how obnoxious and insulting of me to thank the german people I met during that time for their graciousness and generosity. I am sorry I insulted your country by volunteering to defend it for more than eight years while your own young pacifists were overdosing on heroin in Bahnhof toilets.

(in reply to Lützow)
Post #: 155
RE: English is Easy? - 10/12/2008 11:23:43 PM   
Doggie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ike99

On the ninth day the troops would take Lyon, south eastern France.[/color]

Yeah. And on the ninth day, Argentian stormtroopers would have held a victory dance at Port Stanley.

But look how much Argentina appreciates them

quote:

Two months after Argentine forces surrendered to the British on the Falkland Islands, this nation appears to have all but forgotten its nearly 11,000 war veterans.

It has done little to eulogize its 600 dead or console its 1,300 wounded. There have been no medals awarded to any survivors. Few veterans' benefits are available. And the army is still studying the matter of compensating those who suffered crippling wounds

They got to buy their own beer, even in their own country. German kids followed us around every where we went. Crowds gathered on the streets when we drove by. Children run away from your blood thirsty butchers.

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 156
RE: English is Easy? - 10/12/2008 11:28:46 PM   
06 Maestro

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: SireChaos
Nuclear weapons are (or were, during the Cold War) the weapons of great powers. Every time Germany becomes a great power, a disaster Made in Germany happens. ´nuff said.

Guess I have a different view on history then. The european tragedy started at Sarajevo in 1914 and everything worse happened during 20th century can be traced back to this incident - till Kosovo war in late 90'ish. Other major powers were involved as well and pursued their own policies. I could quote Churchill here, but elaborating this would derail this thread.

So let's rather go back and bash somebody else.

I have to agree with you on this point, Lutzow. Germany was not to blame for the Great War. A thread on Germany's "militarism" would be very interesting-and educational. The victors of WW1 had a chance to create a new beginning, but fell far short of the task at Versailles. The following conflict with Germany should have been predictable given the dictates. Keep in mind though that the U.S. government had nothing to do with the Treaty of Versailles. Our government recognized it for what it was-vindictive garbage. Once again, we were above the fray.

In view of the current reality, the idea of a nuclear armed Germany would make some folks quite nervous. In the future, German commanders will have to be able to control nuclear arsenals-I can'r envision an integrated European defence force which would preclude this.

(in reply to Lützow)
Post #: 157
RE: English is Easy? - 10/12/2008 11:33:35 PM   
ilovestrategy

quote:

English is not my first language and I´m running out of applicable terms.

Wow, English is not your second language? Your vocabulary is really good.
Did you have a formal education? I'm just curious.

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to SireChaos)
Post #: 158
RE: English is Easy? - 10/12/2008 11:58:20 PM   
06 Maestro

quote:

Hell, yes. By the accounts, East Germany was among the healthier Warsaw Pact economies, and... well, I´ve been there several times shortly after the Wall fell, and, let´s say, I was not impressed. Downtrodden, backwards, in disrepair, derelict... you´ll have to excuse me, English is not my first language and I´m running out of applicable terms.

LOL-I know of which you speak. I made several trips into Berlin on mandatory R&R's (circa 1973 to '76). My unit went into East Berlin twice. The difference between the 2 cities was remarkable. West Berlin was a modern, vibrant city, full of color, new buildings, fancy cars, clubs, and an apparently happy population. Just across the wall was the 'showplace of communism". The difference is in fact hard to picture. Buildings built of rubble, empty/damaged apartments near the wall, a couple hundred meters of dirt with tank obstacles (facing away from W Berlin) from the wall, those loud/smelly/tiny/funky/grey cars occasionally sputtering down the street, few people moving about, nearly everyone wearing some drab grey clothing, an eery lack of color, not a smile to be seen anywhere-it was almost surreal. The only thing that had some color and looked new was the Soviet war memorial-and even that was not very impressive-(not bad though).

If East Berlin was the "Showplace of Communism", the Soviet block had to be one horrible place to live. The funny part of this is that West Berliners could see and hear the East German woe's. Therefore, all of Germany knew what a wreck it was, and anyone else who had an interest could have found out. The reality of the situation didn't stop Angela Davis from making a "defection" to the east in broad daylight (right at Brandenburg Gate IIRC). Not very far from where many east Germans had died trying to get out. A good commie she was-how brave, too.

(in reply to SireChaos)
Post #: 159
RE: English is Easy? - 10/13/2008 12:00:10 AM   
SLAAKMAN

The only language I speak these days is......WORLD IN FLAMES!!!  

Germany's unforgivable crime before the Second World War was her attempt to extricate her economy from the world's trading system and to create her own exchange mechanism which would deny world finance its opportunity to profit.
— Winston Churchill

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 160
RE: English is Easy? - 10/13/2008 1:26:31 AM   
Ike99

quote:

So why are you talking to me for?

quote:

Fortunately, the Argentine military is world renowned for it's cowardice and incompetence...

I take every opportunity to remind you filthy apes ...

Yeah. And on the ninth day, Argentian stormtroopers would have held a victory dance at Port Stanley.

etc. etc.

quote:

Maybe this a bit off topic but does anyone know of any good recent pictures of ARA General Belgrano. I can't find any.

Strange, I can´t find any pictures of HMS Sheffield, HMS coventry, etc.,etc.,etc., either. Wait, I found them. They´re painted on the noses of Argentine aircraft.

quote:

If you ask current West Germans if they appreciated Nato, and American, troops stationed in their lands for over 30 years, you will get a near resounding "Ja!"

This is what you say. But that´s not what I´m reading from these people with Germany by their locations.

quote:

Those, and the people who demand that the US be eternally celebrated as heroes for exercising said enlightened self-interest.

I think you're wrong here. Not tanks or soldiers saved us from another great tragedy, but nuclear deterrence.

To paraphrase it: with German missiles targeting Moscow the presence of american forces would have been obsolete.

The solely reason we depended on you was due to the outcome of WW2 and the fact that Germany didn't get allowed to rebuild her military forces. Without these restriction we wouldn't need someone to guarantee our safety, neither did Germany - or Prussia before - for the past 200 years.

So there is a difference of opinion it seems.

quote:

Lastly, I doubt the Soviet Union actually had the strength to pull off what you are arguing above. Historians mostly assert now that Soviet strength was more of a paper tiger than once thought, and that there was less central control of the Soviet military than once believed.

Nuclear bombs falling on European cities is a paper tiger? If that is a paper tiger what is a real tiger for you? Your plan was to fight a conventional war and hope it doesn´t escalate to nuclear weapons right? That wasn´t their plan. Their plan was wrapped around the use of nuclear weapons from the start. And no, don´t doubt they couldn´t have and wouldn´t have delivered them because you saw East Berlin didn´t have fancy cars and clubs. After the destruction to Russia in WW2 they wouldn´t have thought a second about it.

quote:

Well, you lost two of the last 3 wars you fought and, well... aren't the folks in Prussia speaking Polish these days? No offense, of course.

Your recent record is? and, well...how many communities there are speaking Spanish these days mate?

quote:

Yeah. And on the ninth day, Argentian stormtroopers would have held a victory dance at Port Stanley. But look how much Argentina appreciates them.

The New York Times Doggie? That´s a joke. I could tear that entire article apart in 3 seconds it´s so full of lies.

The easiest one to show you would be this one.

New York Times-There is not one national war hero, not even among the daring pilots who fearlessly attacked Britain's superior fleet and sank six of its warships. It has done little to eulogize its 600 dead or console its 1,300 wounded.

Now that´s what your USA article said, here is the reality and there are many, many more.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Doggie)
Post #: 161
RE: English is Easy? - 10/13/2008 1:42:37 AM   
06 Maestro

Ike

Continuing the drift in this thread; I read that Hans Rudel was the "father of the Argentine Air Force". He apparently had to flee to Argentina because the Russians wanted to put him on trial for "war crimes". Do you have any info on his participation in the Argentine A.F.? It would seem that such a man could lay a good foundation for an air force. If true, then it should come as no surprise the RN suffered some loss from air attack.

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 162
RE: English is Easy? - 10/13/2008 2:25:56 AM   
Splinterhead

quote:

quote:

If you ask current West Germans if they appreciated Nato, and American, troops stationed in their lands for over 30 years, you will get a near resounding "Ja!"

This is what you say. But that´s not what I´m reading from these people with Germany by their locations.

quote:

Those, and the people who demand that the US be eternally celebrated as heroes for exercising said enlightened self-interest.

I think you're wrong here. Not tanks or soldiers saved us from another great tragedy, but nuclear deterrence.

To paraphrase it: with German missiles targeting Moscow the presence of american forces would have been obsolete.

The solely reason we depended on you was due to the outcome of WW2 and the fact that Germany didn't get allowed to rebuild her military forces. Without these restriction we wouldn't need someone to guarantee our safety, neither did Germany - or Prussia before - for the past 200 years.

So there is a difference of opinion it seems.

You're selectively quoting Lutzow.

quote:

Nuclear bombs falling on European cities is a paper tiger? If that is a paper tiger what is a real tiger for you? Your plan was to fight a conventional war and hope it doesn´t escalate to nuclear weapons right? That wasn´t their plan. Their plan was wrapped around the use of nuclear weapons from the start. And no, don´t doubt they couldn´t have and wouldn´t have delivered them because you saw East Berlin didn´t have fancy cars and clubs. After the destruction to Russia in WW2 they wouldn´t have thought a second about it.

The fact that they never carried out an attack would seem to indicate that they did in fact think about it.

quote:

quote:

Well, you lost two of the last 3 wars you fought and, well... aren't the folks in Prussia speaking Polish these days? No offense, of course.

Your recent record is? and, well...how many communities there are speaking Spanish these days mate?

Now you are quoting me out of context. My comment was in direct response to Lutzow's claim that Germany and more precisely Prussia (point of origin of some of my ancestors) was strong enough to stand alone. I disagree, as does SireChaos who's also German. Both have responded in an appropriate and polite manner and I have no conflict with them and I hope they have none with me.

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 163
RE: English is Easy? - 10/13/2008 2:36:40 AM   
Mike Dubost

quote:

@Mike Dubost:
What the HELL are you saying there? Don´t you know that you have a stereotype of an insular, ignorant, arrogant American to be true to?
Seriously, though... thanks for that reply. I am well aware that most Americans are not at all like the [expletive deleted]s that steal so much screen time - though it would help if you guys spoke up a little more often.

I do have a rather unique perspective on a few things. Growing up as a conservative Republican in Marin County* always made me feel like a real oddball.

I am glad that you found my remarks interesting. I am not sure which of my remarks in particular caused you to joke about the stereotype, since I do have several non-stereotypical opinions. The fact that I think the US is best does not mean that I have to try to prove everyone else is bad. I would rather be the best of a good lot than the best of a bad lot.

I happen to think that Churchill's characterization of the Marshall Plan as a "most unsordid act" is both precise and accurate. This characterization recognizes the fact that very few acts of any nation are ever wholey altruistic, while also recognizing that the US chose a generous course of action out of the available sub-set of actions that would serve our national interest. In short, the enlightened part of enlightened self interest . However, it does appear to me to be useless to deny the obvious fact that avoiding a new world war was clearly in the interest of the US.

As far as my remarks on Latin America, having a relative who married into a weathly Guatemalan family may have influenced my thinking a bit. It is true that "our SOB" was usually not much worse than the other guy, but that is a very low bar to cross. I wish we had spent more effort on looking beyond the Kleptocrat of the Month Club when finding "our SOB". Yeah, there may have been a shortage of people with completely clean hands who could have goverened effectively, but we could have found someone who would not have allowed the Guatemalan police to set up car theft rings. [True story, my Guatemalan cousins warned us about the car theft rings at some time in the 1980s, I forget exactly when].

As far as the obnoxious individuals making most of the noise, in my opionion, that is partly due to a "why bother" feeling on the part of the rest of us. So often, it appears that those who oppose US policy begin with a more general bashing of the US and of US citizens. To be blunt, Doggie's rants read to me like pastiches of Ike99's style in some ways. They both appear to go immediately for the "you're evil and stupid" routine. If someone like Doggie rubs you the wrong way as the self-styled voice of the US, think how Ike99 and his ilk sound to me as the self-styled voice of the opposition. You are more likely to respond to a civil post, and so are we. The ones who do respond to the bomb-throwers are usually the ones who like to throw the bombs back. I do sometimes try a calm post in response to see if I can actually get a civilized debate, but I usually strike out swinging on that one. After a while, it gets to feel like too much effort for too little return.

I believe that at some point we will simply agree to disagree, but it is interesting to see where the limits of our disagreements are. This is, in fact, one of the reasons I enjoy reading periodicals from outside the US.

*Edited to explain that Marin County is a notoriously left-wing part of the San Francisco Bay Area. If you follow US politics, you will sometimes see "Marin County Democrat" used as a synomym for "so far to the left they're hanging onto the wing by their fingernails" or for "limousine liberal". This particular stereotype, while exagerated, is not entirely unrelated to reality. Marin County is both wealthier than average and far to the left of the US political center.

< Message edited by Mike Dubost -- 10/13/2008 2:51:25 AM >

(in reply to SireChaos)
Post #: 164
RE: English is Easy? - 10/13/2008 3:50:53 AM   
06 Maestro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Dubos Marin County is both wealthier than average and far to the left of the US political center.

Funny that the most conservative radio host in America lives in such a place. Mike Savage is truly a great one-a bit off the wall sometimes, but one of the few that dares to speak the truth.

(in reply to Mike Dubost)
Post #: 165
RE: English is Easy? - 10/13/2008 5:35:57 AM   
Doggie

quote:

Strange, I can´t find any pictures of HMS Sheffield, HMS coventry, etc.,etc.,etc., either. Wait, I found them. They´re painted on the noses of Argentine aircraft.

Have your generals got pictures of all their own people they murdered hanging in their dayroom? Did you go with Daddy to the torture chambers on "take your kid to work" day?

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 166
RE: English is Easy? - 10/13/2008 7:48:57 AM   
Neilster

quote:

ORIGINAL: E

quote:

ORIGINAL: Neilster

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Neilster

quote:

(I went again this year, but was too tired/busy to even try out my no-lose system.)

I'm a mathematician who specialises in probability. There is no such thing as a no-lose system. There is stuff you can do if you have an infinite pool to play with. Got one of those?

I'm not a mathematician, but I can assure you that if I only play with complimentary chips, I cannot lose any of my own money. That is a no-lose system! Granted, it's not necessarily a winning system either, but I suffer no monetary losses from gambling using it. *grin*

OK. It's a no-lose-your-own-money system. It's not a no-lose system. All the best.

Cheers, Neilster

Ah, but a no-lose-your-own-money system is a no-lose system in my book**! *grin* (sorry we can't use your book, as it is obviously upside down *grin*) Let's move on to something that is debatable... which side would you like to play? "Your country sucks" or "My country can do no wrong?" *grin*

**See page 4 under the connect the dots illustration 1-2.

I'll play Australia, champ. It's got a solid record and I've defended it.

Cheers, Neilster

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Neilster -- 10/13/2008 7:56:42 AM >

(in reply to E)
Post #: 167
RE: English is Easy? - 10/13/2008 8:25:25 AM   
Lützow

quote:

ORIGINAL: Doggie
Yes, I understand that interjecting facts into left wing fantasies is considered "arrogant". After all, some Green Party college boy born a decade after I left cold war Germany knows a hell of a lot more about it than I do. And how obnoxious and insulting of me to thank the german people I met during that time for their graciousness and generosity. I am sorry I insulted your country by volunteering to defend it for more than eight years while your own young pacifists were overdosing on heroin in Bahnhof toilets.

Insinuating 'left leaned' phantasies because I have a different view is as ridiculous as holding Ike99 responsible for crimes of former Argentinian government, or believing every American would agree to the actions of your president. Anyway, debating with narrow-minded people is a waste of time and leads to nothing. So I'm going to stop it here.

Have a nice day.

(in reply to Doggie)
Post #: 168
RE: English is Easy? - 10/13/2008 10:59:53 AM   
Doggie

quote:

Insinuating 'left leaned' phantasies because I have a different view is as ridiculous as holding Ike99 responsible for crimes of former Argentinian government, or believing every American would agree to the actions of your president.
Have a nice day.

Nah, I'm insinuating left leaning fantasies because neither you nor Ike can resist telling us how much Americans suck. I notice you don't seem to have any problems with Ike the fascist fan boy, but anything an American has to say offends you,

You're welcome for the sixty years, billions of dollars, and thousands of lives, btw.

(in reply to Lützow)
Post #: 169
RE: English is Easy? - 10/13/2008 12:42:22 PM   
EUBanana

quote:

ORIGINAL: yoshino

English is very very very difficult for me. I'm learning a few years to participate this forum(and other game forums),but still can't writing well.

Though,I think that Japanese language is more difficult for many westerners.

They MUST be learned about thousands of Kanji and Hinagana and Katakana... There is first of all...

I thought the Japanese language was fairly easy. And I learned hiragana and katakana OK.

but the kanji, oh god.

I forgot it all now anyway.

(in reply to yoshino)
Post #: 170
RE: English is Easy? - 10/13/2008 12:59:33 PM   
EUBanana

quote:

ORIGINAL: Doggie

Allied restrictions on German re armqament are the only reason Germany still exists. An announcement about a Bundeswehr atomic weapons program in 1950 would have been the first page in the history of World War III.

This is very true, I've read a few WWIII scenarios and quite a few of them started off with Soviet outrage at a German threat to go nuclear.

(in reply to Doggie)
Post #: 171
RE: English is Easy? - 10/13/2008 1:04:11 PM   
EUBanana

quote:

According to my Slovak beloved, East Germany was supposed to be the paramount part of the Soviet bloc but was, in her opinion, overrated. But apparently their leaders were very arrogant.
Given she hardly says good things about Slovakia I doubt its nationalism talking there.

According to her the dunce cap of the Eastern bloc was worn by Vietnam.

(in reply to SireChaos)
Post #: 172
RE: English is Easy? - 10/13/2008 3:11:09 PM   
JudgeDredd

quote:

Just wondering...are those pictures from The Falkland Islands?

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 173
RE: English is Easy? - 10/13/2008 3:17:33 PM   
JudgeDredd

quote:

quote:

Maybe this a bit off topic but does anyone know of any good recent pictures of ARA General Belgrano. I can't find any.

as for this, Ike....way to go dragging other nations into your little fight

From your comment above, you have turned into what you have grown to despise (or at least uncovered the real you)

If you look back through the posts, you'll be hard pushed to show it was a Brit who mentioned the Belgrano, and yet you sneer at lost lives by pointing out pictures of the UK ships sunk are on your aircraft?

Well, I won't follow you down the tunnel of despair and desecration...all I will say is thx

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 174
RE: English is Easy? - 10/13/2008 3:37:34 PM   
andym

quote:

quote:

I find your comments over the Falklands Campaign in thoroughly bad taste.I personally lost several good friends in this conflict and continue to work with the Aftermath of the Conflict.It shows your total lack of respect for BOTH sides in the aforesaid conflict.If it wasnt for the sacrifices of the Armed Forces of any country we wouldnt have the freedoms we enjoy today.

Press to Test...............Release to Detonate!

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 175
RE: English is Easy? - 10/13/2008 4:36:00 PM   
anarchyintheuk

quote:

ORIGINAL: 06 Maestro

quote:

[If it was ¨selfless¨ as you say then why do you keep talking about it all the time as if they owe you something!! If it was true so ¨selfless¨ you wouldn´t say anything about it at all now would you?

It could be said we were the the "gravy train" for Germany. Not only were billions pumped into the economy by the normal means, but there were other little benefits. Occasionally, during winter only, the U.S. Army would conduct exercises in local areas instead of the major training bases such as Graffenweer (spell?), Hohenfells, and a couple of others. In every village, the people would come out to right down our convoy numbers so they could cash in on payouts for anything we allegedly damaged (streets, curbs, fencing, etc.) I know that on occasions, the damage was not cause by us-they were simply suckling on Uncle Sam. Farm fields were another great source of income-even without crops, due to our presence. IIRC, it was ten dollars a lineal foot of track rut in a field-and there were a lot of them. These local training areas were necessary to use as we were training to fight, and win being out numbered at least 5 to one-it was for the common cause. There was on uproar when the American public found out about a few 600 dollar toilet seats for the Air Force-good thing they never heard about the farm field ruts. Speaking of farms, a German farmer visiting us in the field told my platoon he was happy to have the U.S. Army using his land because, "Americans bury there crap, the other armies just leave it on the ground.

Brings back memories from Taiwan. Our family lived there during my dad's tods in Vietnam. I was only 3 or 4 at the time, but one of my earliest memories was having poultry thrown at our car when we went into town. Several years later I asked my dad about it. He said that the locals would throw their old chickens and chickens who no longer laid eggs so it could be claimed that they had been killed by US citizens. They would then be reimbursed by the US. Always wondered how that system was set up or worked. I've never been able to watch the movie Birds.

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 176
English wit - 10/13/2008 5:28:59 PM   
mdiehl

On an almost entirely unrelated note.. who was it that said (?)

"Natural law is like a Guinea pig -- which is neither from Guinea nor a pig."

< Message edited by mdiehl -- 10/13/2008 5:29:07 PM >

Show me a fellow who rejects statistical analysis a priori and I'll show you a fellow who has no knowledge of statistics.

Didn't we have this conversation already?

(in reply to cdbeck)
Post #: 177
RE: English is Easy? - 10/13/2008 5:30:18 PM   
06 Maestro

quote:

ORIGINAL: anarchyintheuk
Brings back memories from Taiwan. Our family lived there during my dad's tods in Vietnam. I was only 3 or 4 at the time, but one of my earliest memories was having poultry thrown at our car when we went into town. Several years later I asked my dad about it. He said that the locals would throw their old chickens and chickens who no longer laid eggs so it could be claimed that they had been killed by US citizens. They would then be reimbursed by the US. Always wondered how that system was set up or worked. I've never been able to watch the movie Birds.

That is a hilarious situation-I can picture that happening. It is interesting that our good friends behaved this way for the almighty dollar-what would our enemy's do for the dollar. One thing for certain; there will be a lot of sad people when Uncle Sams Gravy Train pulls out of town for the last time.

(in reply to anarchyintheuk)
Post #: 178
RE: English is Easy? - 10/13/2008 5:31:11 PM   
Ike99

quote:

If you look back through the posts, you'll be hard pushed to show it was a Brit who mentioned the Belgrano, and yet you sneer at lost lives by pointing out pictures of the UK ships sunk are on your aircraft?

I offer a proposal to you JD. When this comment is edited out the forum...

quote:

Then my sharp reponse to it about your ships sunk will be too.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 179
RE: English wit - 10/13/2008 5:33:42 PM   
BoredStiff

quote:

ORIGINAL: mdiehl
"Natural law is like a Guinea pig -- which is neither from Guinea nor a pig."

The last thing that was needed was for the Italians to be dragged into this thread.

BoredStiff

[Link and Avatar removed by Moderator]

(in reply to mdiehl)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: English is Easy? Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI